Lady Bears vs. OU 2/21/21 New TV Listing

6,677 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Adriacus Peratuun
Eball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
71-59 under 2 minutes
Eball
73-61
Eball
77-63
whitetrash
OU 42pts in first half; 21pts in Second.
Eball
77-66 final
Brownbw
I am a big supporter of the ladybears and Kim. And i love dd. But for the life of me i dont understand why coach wont move dd to another position besides point guard. She can play there as she has shown but we have at least 2 or 3 point guards riding the bench,and today she turned it over 6 times and the offense was stale. Dd needs to be playing but not out front. With that i bow to Mulkeys discretion.
2023 ADOPT-A-BEAR
KADEN SIERACKI #74
6’8’’ 315 RF WOODLANDS
Big boy is going to put some hurt on big 12 foes
sevenmilebeachbob
Brian Ethridge said:

Game is also on Fox SW as well at Fox Oklahoma

1pm

Brian, I hope that you do a postgame analysis. If you do, please include a lot of detail for those of us who didn't get to see the game.
historian
It will be available for replay eventually.
BuinmyBlood
I was not able to see the game but am very curious to hear from those who were, to determine what was going on with the guard play for Baylor in this game. We had only 15 assists to 23 turnovers, and DiDi alone had 5 assists to 6 turnovers. Were we just sloppy or rusty looking? Or was the OU defense that good? We still managed to shoot a high percentage, but I don't understand all the turnovers and the lack of assists compared to what we are used to. Were a lot of turnovers due to forcing it into the paint again?

Strange game for sure. But you could tell that KM must have peeled the paint at halftime considering how well we played on defense in the 2nd half. Hopefully this game will have knocked some of the rust off, and sharpen us up for the big games ahead.

Win and advance. That's the name of the game...
BuinmyBlood
historian said:

If so, would be greatly appreciate, for those of us who didn't get to see the game, to have an alert from someone on this women's basketball forum when that does occur, so that we can go check it out. Thanks in advance...
setshot
Over the years, our determination to pass the ball into post players who are well covered has been a major cause for our high turnover rate. We do this even when they are not in a good location regarding the basket, or when they are double covered. Sagging defenses are often effective because opposing coaches know our tendencies and try to take advantage of them.

The high turnover rate usually enables other teams to stay in contention longer than they otherwise should. When the Lady Bears play without turning the ball over so much they usually dominate other teams because of their smothering defense.

Mulkey knows this as well as anyone, but believes with some justification that good execution of her offense and adjustment by her players will wear the opponent down, particularly when the defense begins to take advantage of the fatigue in opposing players who are on the floor too long. The fourth quarter typically belongs to the Lady Bears. Both their conditioning and the depth of their bench are factors in this.

As Baylor goes deeper into the NCAA Tournament, their tendency to turn the ball over becomes more problematical for them, as it enables teams with comparable talent to get more shots, negating to some extent the advantage that a strong defense provides. Most coaches set a goal somewhere in the vicinity of twelve turnovers for their teams, and the more a team begins to exceed that limit against strong opponents, victory becomes harder to secure.

Since Baylor prides itself on defense, they turn over other teams with a frequency that matches or surpasses their own margin. Historically, Baylor has won the turnover battle more often than they have lost it, but games often look sloppy because both teams are gifting the opponent with the ball far too often, usually with unforced turnovers. Poor judgment is usually the culprit, though sometimes it is a result of highly effective defenses.

An outstanding point guard is helpful, as we have found in the past, but everyone has a bad day now and then, and if it comes when an opponent is having a very good day, sometimes from an unexpected source, then a defeat in the one-loss-and-you're-out post season tournament sends you home. We have done that more often to other teams than they have done it to us, but everyone experiences it at some point.

Turnovers are just one factor, but they are a critical one. I argued at the start of the season that using Didi at the PG position weakens us at two positions, and while she has done well there, considering her skill set and her lack of experience at the position, I think that it may prove to be less satisfactory in postseason play. Mulkey has great respect for experience and I do not expect to see anyone else playing major minutes at the Point.
blueeyedbear
setshot said:

Over the years, our determination to pass the ball into post players who are well covered has been a major cause for our high turnover rate. We do this even when they are not in a good location regarding the basket, or when they are double covered. Sagging defenses are often effective because opposing coaches know our tendencies and try to take advantage of them.

The high turnover rate usually enables other teams to stay in contention longer than they otherwise should. When the Lady Bears play without turning the ball over so much they usually dominate other teams because of their smothering defense.

Mulkey knows this as well as anyone, but believes with some justification that good execution of her offense and adjustment by her players will wear the opponent down, particularly when the defense begins to take advantage of the fatigue in opposing players who are on the floor too long. The fourth quarter typically belongs to the Lady Bears. Both their conditioning and the depth of their bench are factors in this.

As Baylor goes deeper into the NCAA Tournament, their tendency to turn the ball over becomes more problematical for them, as it enables teams with comparable talent to get more shots, negating to some extent the advantage that a strong defense provides. Most coaches set a goal somewhere in the vicinity of twelve turnovers for their teams, and the more a team begins to exceed that limit against strong opponents, victory becomes harder to secure.

Since Baylor prides itself on defense, they turn over other teams with a frequency that matches or surpasses their own margin. Historically, Baylor has won the turnover battle more often than they have lost it, but games often look sloppy because both teams are gifting the opponent with the ball far too often, usually with unforced turnovers. Poor judgment is usually the culprit, though sometimes it is a result of highly effective defenses.

An outstanding point guard is helpful, as we have found in the past, but everyone has a bad day now and then, and if it comes when an opponent is having a very good day, sometimes from an unexpected source, then a defeat in the one-loss-and-you're-out post season tournament sends you home. We have done that more often to other teams than they have done it to us, but everyone experiences it at some point.

Turnovers are just one factor, but they are a critical one. I argued at the start of the season that using Didi at the PG position weakens us at two positions, and while she has done well there, considering her skill set and her lack of experience at the position, I think that it may prove to be less satisfactory in postseason play. Mulkey has great respect for experience and I do not expect to see anyone else playing major minutes at the Point.
Excellent points but as I have posted before and I will post again (despite deaf ears from CKM). DiDI at the point weakens us at 2 positions !! DiDI is not a point guard !! The last three games she has played totally out of control. No clock sense and reckless passes. How many times when she faced pressure today did she dribble the ball till she gave it a headache resulting in a rushed shot to beat the clock. CKM talks about her assist to turnover ration ....another example where stats can lie. Several times a game she forces the ball into double and even triple teams and the ball is stripped away from a post and the post gets the TO ticket when DiDi was really the cause of the turnover. Over passing causing guards to jump, reach up or reach down to their knees or ankles in a desperate attempt to catch the ball which more often deflects off them out of bounds or picked up by opposition and again they get the ticket for the TO.
Then there is the long lazy passes that get picked off (she is not the only one guilty of this !!)
Set Shot is right if this does not get fixed we are in trouble.....we will not get past sweet 16 !!
I can guarantee you every coach that has BU WBB on their upcoming schedule is going to watch what Oklahoma did today with pressure on DiDi at the top of the key and we are going to see a lot more of it !!!
Put DiDi back at the 3 and let ball handlers take the point.....we have 3 that can handle the ball against pressure better. Well maybe 2 - Anyone know why Owens did not make the trip ???

Eball
DiDi is playing statistically as well as any point guard in nation. The point guard for OU today is very good and quick defensively she caused some problems for DiDi but we won and DiDi scored timely and shot timely and played great defense again. She is not only our best option at pt guard but one of the best in the nation. Road win over a team that plays five guards and wants to speed you up. Take the win.
Eball
If you can't tell I am pro DiDi at point.
Adriacus Peratuun
DiDi at PG is basically bad in every way.

Without a shooter on top/on ball side, the defenders collapse [shutting off easy post entry passes], alleviating the need for backside help [and thus the openings for skip pass/open backside 3s], & prevents middle drives [defender can go under on ball screens and play a step back to prevent dribble drives].

It weakens two spots defensively.

It wears down our primary wing defender.

She is not a strong ballhandler. Turnovers by primary ball handlers are often live ball turnovers [transition opportunities for opponent].

On a separate note: if I see another video of our players wasting practice/game day warmup time shooting half court shots & dunking when they aren't practicing enough to run the offense smoothly, I may scream. ***?

historian
BuinmyBlood said:

historian said:

If so, would be greatly appreciate, for those of us who didn't get to see the game, to have an alert from someone on this women's basketball forum when that does occur, so that we can go check it out. Thanks in advance...
It should end up on the Big 12 digital page in a few days and, with luck, someone will post it on YouTube soon as well. If I see it, I will post the link.
Quote:

On a separate note: if I see another video of our players wasting practice/game day warmup time shooting half court shots & dunking when they aren't practicing enough to run the offense smoothly, I may scream.
I'm glad you're not my neighbor! You are probably going to be screaming a lot the next few weeks.
Eball
I really do like your posts and enjoy reading your insight but you really can come off as a know it all. I don't always agree with Kim but I am not ever going to say that I am smarter and know better than a coach and former player of her caliber and experience. I will again tell you DiDi is having a top 10 in the nation point guard season statistically. On one of the best teams in the nation with a Hall of Fame coach. Tell me again your qualifications to challenge Kim?

I also like our kids staying loose Lord knows Kim is hard on them and expects a lot from them great that she allows them to have fun. Work hard play hard.
Malbec
Next time my wife calls me a smart-ass, know-it-all, I'm going to direct her to one of AP's posts.
lookin4awin
I think everyone - including KM- agrees that point guard is not Didi's best position-but who are you going to put there instead? I don't think Sara Andrews is anywhere near ready to be the starting point guard. And, although I have wanted to see more of Owens, I would be crazy to not trust Kim's eye that Owens isn't ready either-otherwise she would be playing her there.

Kim has had two point guards that she recruited to transfer, either of which would be playing there-so she is kind of making the best out of an unfortunate situation.

Who do you want there instead of Richards?
Adriacus Peratuun
Sorry if my posts bother you. Not my intention. To the extent it improves your experience on these message boards, I am not offended if you simply put me on Ignore.

I readily admit to being blunt and plain spoken. Part is my nature; part is my upbringing. Personally, I don't mind strong opinions [even ones with which I disagree] if they are based upon data and observations. Not everyone feels that way. Those differing viewpoints are both OK.

If you think my opinions are wrong, please say it and show me how/why. I try to offer both my views [this site is a message board] and the supporting factual bases for those views. Show me where I misinterpret data. I like to learn.

Don't expect me to blindly accept choices by any coach. I am not a blind follower. I challenge everything.

Even the greatest coaches admit to their many mistakes. John Wooden's discussion of the mistakes during his early years in coaching is a great read. Geno Auriemma has done some great men culpa interviews over the years. I don't think anyone is infallible. We all make numerous mistakes daily. The best coaches of their generation admit their mistakes. I gladly admit mine. I don't think that any Baylor coach is above review. I think that fair review is based upon facts and I try to be fair.

Baylor's WBB past success is not a guarantee of future success. Every successful business enterprise I know is constantly rethinking their decisions and processes. If you want only opinions that agree with yours, are sugarcoated in happiness & unicorn breath, and pretend that nothing can be improved.....you are likely to be depressed by my posts. That Pie in the Sky mentality isn't me.

Not sure why you directed personal comments at me.....I am certain that I didn't direct any at you. Disagreeing is great. Name calling is childish [in my viewpoint]. Again, if you don't like my posts, simply use the ignore function.
Mulder
Didi Richards, an excellent defensive player, is a real trouper. Playing her at point lowers her draft stock. No WNBA Team, in the 3rd round, is going to draft her as a point guard.

Several of her turnovers were passes to # 25. OU thought so little of #25 they covered her with a guard.
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
Eball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Sorry if my posts bother you. Not my intention. To the extent it improves your experience on these message boards, I am not offended if you simply put me on Ignore.

I readily admit to being blunt and plain spoken. Part is my nature; part is my upbringing. Personally, I don't mind strong opinions [even ones with which I disagree] if they are based upon data and observations. Not everyone feels that way. Those differing viewpoints are both OK.

If you think my opinions are wrong, please say it and show me how/why. I try to offer both my views [this site is a message board] and the supporting factual bases for those views. Show me where I misinterpret data. I like to learn.

Don't expect me to blindly accept choices by any coach. I am not a blind follower. I challenge everything.

Even the greatest coaches admit to their many mistakes. John Wooden's discussion of the mistakes during his early years in coaching is a great read. Geno Auriemma has done some great men culpa interviews over the years. I don't think anyone is infallible. We all make numerous mistakes daily. The best coaches of their generation admit their mistakes. I gladly admit mine. I don't think that any Baylor coach is above review. I think that fair review is based upon facts and I try to be fair.

Baylor's WBB past success is not a guarantee of future success. Every successful business enterprise I know is constantly rethinking their decisions and processes. If you want only opinions that agree with yours, are sugarcoated in happiness & unicorn breath, and pretend that nothing can be improved.....you are likely to be depressed by my posts. That Pie in the Sky mentality isn't me.

Not sure why you directed personal comments at me.....I am certain that I didn't direct any at you. Disagreeing is great. Name calling is childish [in my viewpoint]. Again, if you don't like my posts, simply use the ignore function.
2021 Nancy Lieberman Point Guard of the Year Award Candidates as of 2-1-21
  • Destiny Slocum, Arkansas
  • DiDi Richards, Baylor
  • Dyaisha Fair, Buffalo
  • Paige Bueckers, UConn
  • Ali Patberg, Indiana
  • Hailey Van Lith, Louisville
  • Myah Taylor, Mississippi State
  • Raina Perez, NC State
  • Diamond Johnson, Rutgers
  • Tiana Mangakahia, Syracuse

Malbec
I'm sorry if you can't take a little good-natured ribbing. I don't think anybody is attacking you for your opinions, and I certainly wasn't. I'm sure there are any number of apropos gifs of the lighten up variety that could be inserted here, but maybe just take a deep breath and have a chuckle.
Adriacus Peratuun
Mulder said:

Didi Richards, an excellent defensive player, is a real trouper. Playing her at point lowers her draft stock. No WNBA Team, in the 3rd round, is going to draft her as a point guard.

Several of her turnovers were passes to # 25. OU thought so little of #25 they covered her with a guard.
Under the proviso that the 2021 WNBA Draft May be the weakest draft in a generation [Two teams basically gave away the #1 overall pick for little in return (a huge indicator of how lightly the draft is regarded)]........

I don't think Didi's draft stock has changed much. Despite all of her defensive abilities, she is a wing who has no 3 point shot. Inasmuch as 99.999% of halfcourt O in the pros is run through 1 In 4 Out or 5 Out sets, the requirement that all perimeter players have a reliable 3 point shot is standard. Due to Didi's length & athleticism, she may get drafted. But ultimately she will be expected to go overseas and fix her shot mechanics.

I like her contributions. But the WNBA has 12 teams that keep about 10ish players each. Between returning players, new overseas players, and past draftees who have improved their games overseas, the number of college draftees making rosters is tiny. Fortunately, overseas ball pays fair contract wages and allows players to see the world. That is where I see DiDi playing the next 2-4 years. Where she goes from there depends on her skill development.

As far as teammates with Skillet Hands.....well, it happens.
lookin4awin
Has Richards made a declaration that going to the WNBA is what she wants to do, or are we assuming that? She seems to have many talents and interests other than basketball.

If she does want to go to the WNBA next year, my guess is that her performance last year in her natural position will be weighed heavily.
Adriacus Peratuun
lookin4awin said:

I think everyone - including KM- agrees that point guard is not Didi's best position-but who are you going to put there instead? I don't think Sara Andrews is anywhere near ready to be the starting point guard. And, although I have wanted to see more of Owens, I would be crazy to not trust Kim's eye that Owens isn't ready either-otherwise she would be playing her there.

Kim has had two point guards that she recruited to transfer, either of which would be playing there-so she is kind of making the best out of an unfortunate situation.

Who do you want there instead of Richards?
After discussing this item with a couple of Great friends who have solid BB minds, we basically came to the conclusion that Baylor should go small. Move Smith to 5, play Richards, Carrington, Ursin & Andrews/Owens on perimeter. Use Egbo as a designated big matchup [but not a defined starter]. Create more space for Smith. Surround her with shooters. Put Richards as a high post [she is a solid passer and can make that shot] or backside cutter. 3 point shooters on both wings and top [shifting with ball movement]. Rebounding might suffer some, but Richards and Ursin are great rebounders for their size.

Team would need Egbo against South Carolina, NC St., etc. but bringing in Egbo off the bench for matchups might eliminate the early foul trouble problems. Without her on the Court, simply swarm the opposing posts and rotate on the perimeter. Seems anathema to BaylorBall.......but it was the best scenario we could agree upon.

With four perimeter players, hiding Andrews/Owens on D is easier. And the team has four players for ball handling and half court initiation.

Perfect: no. Best meal made from available ingredients: maybe.
Eball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Top 10 assist to turnover ratio as of 2-21

1 Allie Best Marist 5.12
2 Maura Hendrixson Drexel 4.00
3 Niya Beverley Penn St. 3.82
4 Samantha Carangi Villanova 3.82
5 Elisa Pinzan South Fla. 3.81
6 DiDi Richards Baylor 3.37
7 Raven James Villanova 3.26
8 Gina Marxen Idaho 3.21
9 Aaliyah Dunham Xavier 3.15
10McKenna Hofschild Colorado St. 3.13

Adriacus Peratuun
Eball said:

1 Allie Best Marist 5.12
8 Gina Marxen Idaho 3.21

That is a solid data point. But only one data point. Statistic that means more to me: the teams O Efficiency rating. Eyeball Test that means more to me: watching where Didi's defender plays and how that placement impacts offensive flow. Baylor's Achilles Heal has always been extended scoring gaps. Obviously, avoiding turnovers is huge for any team...especially live ball turnovers. Any team wants to take 10-20% more shots than their opponent. But efficiency matters. How many points is Baylor averaging "per possession". How many gaps of 3+ minutes without scoring have occurred during the season. Those data points are big.
Adriacus Peratuun
Malbec said:

I'm sorry if you can't take a little good-natured ribbing. I don't think anybody is attacking you for your opinions, and I certainly wasn't. I'm sure there are any number of apropos gifs of the lighten up variety that could be inserted here, but maybe just take a deep breath and have a chuckle.
Maybe it is a geographical or generational thing, but where/when I am from....calling a stranger a smart ass & know it all isn't good natured ribbing. Maybe your time and place is different. We joke with friends but in a non-derogatory manner. Maybe that life isn't light enough for you......but for Old Farm Boys like me it is a solid way to live.
Eball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Eball said:

1 Allie Best Marist 5.12
8 Gina Marxen Idaho 3.21

That is a solid data point. But only one data point. Statistic that means more to me: the teams O Efficiency rating. Eyeball Test that means more to me: watching where Didi's defender plays and how that placement impacts offensive flow. Baylor's Achilles Heal has always been extended scoring gaps. Obviously, avoiding turnovers is huge for any team...especially live ball turnovers. Any team wants to take 10-20% more shots than their opponent. But efficiency matters. How many points is Baylor averaging "per possession". How many gaps of 3+ minutes without scoring have occurred during the season. Those data points are big.
Lady Bears third in nation in scoring margin per game 29.8
Eball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Malbec said:

Maybe it is a geographical or generational thing, but where/when I am from....calling a stranger a smart ass & know it all isn't good natured ribbing. Maybe your time and place is different. We joke with friends but in a non-derogatory manner. Maybe that life isn't light enough for you......but for Old Farm Boys like me it is a solid way to live.
We are 11th in nation in scoring average 82.4 per game...
Eball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Malbec said:

I actually said I enjoyed your posts and contributions but that your posts can really come across as a know it all...so probably not the worst thing you ever been called
Malbec
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Malbec said:

It was an obvious joke, complete with the obligatory , and self-deprecating reference to myself. Don't know how it could have been more patently evident. You certainly won't have to worry about such funnin' from me in the future.
Eball
The bottom line is Kim is the coach and DiDi is running point and to date it has been very successful for DiDi and the team. so I rest my case.
Eball
Malbec said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Malbec said:

It was an obvious joke, complete with the obligatory , and self-deprecating reference to myself. Don't know how it could have been more patently evident. You certainly won't have to worry about such funnin' from me in the future.
some folks take themselves way to seriously
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.