Lady Bears vs. OU 2/21/21 New TV Listing

6,593 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Adriacus Peratuun
Adriacus Peratuun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
eball......is it possible that the scoring average and differential is strongly impacted by Baylor SOS? Best rating for Baylor's SOS is 72 (some much lower). The problem of using raw numbers is that they don't differentiate for variances in scheduling. I think Adj. O Efficiency, Adj. D Efficiency & Adj. Net Efficiency are more useful because they help mitigate data problems related to sampling differences.
Adriacus Peratuun
Please simply put me on Ignore so that my seriousness doesn't bother you in the future. Wouldn't want you to suffer.
Eball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Please simply put me on Ignore so that my seriousness doesn't bother you in the future. Wouldn't want you to suffer.
why would I do that? you have some awesome posts and I defended you multiple times in the past when you rubbed others the wrong way, it happens, we can't always agree, I am just glad I have CKM on my side otherwise I would not bother challenging your opinion at all...but I will side with Kim on DiDi at point...and I do have a few Stats to back me up...please don't take your ball and go home. Strong opinionated people should have thick skins
lookin4awin
Adriacus Peratuun said:

lookin4awin said:

I think everyone - including KM- agrees that point guard is not Didi's best position-but who are you going to put there instead? I don't think Sara Andrews is anywhere near ready to be the starting point guard. And, although I have wanted to see more of Owens, I would be crazy to not trust Kim's eye that Owens isn't ready either-otherwise she would be playing her there.

Kim has had two point guards that she recruited to transfer, either of which would be playing there-so she is kind of making the best out of an unfortunate situation.

Who do you want there instead of Richards?
After discussing this item with a couple of Great friends who have solid BB minds, we basically came to the conclusion that Baylor should go small. Move Smith to 5, play Richards, Carrington, Ursin & Andrews/Owens on perimeter. Use Egbo as a designated big matchup [but not a defined starter]. Create more space for Smith. Surround her with shooters. Put Richards as a high post [she is a solid passer and can make that shot] or backside cutter. 3 point shooters on both wings and top [shifting with ball movement]. Rebounding might suffer some, but Richards and Ursin are great rebounders for their size.

Team would need Egbo against South Carolina, NC St., etc. but bringing in Egbo off the bench for matchups might eliminate the early foul trouble problems. Without her on the Court, simply swarm the opposing posts and rotate on the perimeter. Seems anathema to BaylorBall.......but it was the best scenario we could agree upon.

With four perimeter players, hiding Andrews/Owens on D is easier. And the team has four players for ball handling and half court initiation.

Perfect: no. Best meal made from available ingredients: maybe.
You're taking a leap of faith on Andrews and Owens being ready for that call.. Andrews was getting trapped pretty easily today when she took over after Didi fouled out. Haven't seen enough of Owens to know what she can do. Owens has only played significant minutes n one game-which doesn't make me ready now for her to have a starting role. Perhaps this is a good line up when we have to go small ball, but for this point in the season-I think Richards is the best plan we got. And, although not her best position, there are certain advantages in having a 6-1 point guard.
BuinmyBlood
historian said:

BuinmyBlood said:

historian said:

It will be available for replay eventually.
If so, would be greatly appreciate, for those of us who didn't get to see the game, to have an alert from someone on this women's basketball forum when that does occur, so that we can go check it out. Thanks in advance...
It should end up on the Big 12 digital page in a few days and, with luck, someone will post it on YouTube soon as well. If I see it, I will post the link.

Excellent. Thanks...
highplains
Mulder said:

Didi Richards, an excellent defensive player, is a real trouper. Playing her at point lowers her draft stock. No WNBA Team, in the 3rd round, is going to draft her as a point guard.

Several of her turnovers were passes to # 25. OU thought so little of #25 they covered her with a guard.

OU had only 7 players available today and only used 6. All 6 of them were guards. Guards were all they had to use against any of our players.

I don't believe Richards has any interest in the WNBA draft. I think she is ready for life after basketball, and the preseason injury probably factors into it.
Polarbear
I think AP's "best meal from available ingredients" is what we're seeing. It's pretty clear that the 4 players we need on the floor in highly competitive games are NaLyssa, Didi, Moon, and Dijonai. That is an excellent core, and one with Final Four potential if we simply find the best player to complement them. That's where the challenge lies with the particular mix on this team, and the harsh reality is that some of that mismatched skills is due to Didi's shooting range. It is true that defenses are collapsing into the paint off of her. How many times have we seen Didi at the top of the key and the ball swings to her, with nobody close, but she can't take advantage of the space because she just doesn't have the shot? A competent PG would feast on 3 point shots in that scenario, but we must keep working the ball to another pick and roll with a packed lane.

So why such a problem finding a 5th player who complements? They all have flaws:
Queen - is presently the choice because she gives the size, rebounding, and post presence we need. But Queen also comes with a long list of flaws, which have been discussed here many times this year so I won't pile on again.
Sarah/Jaden - I think everyone is high on their skill and future, and I suspect they'll be our starting backcourt by 2023. But at the moment they don't give Mulkey confidence because they make too many errors of inexperience; plus when they're on the floor we give up a lot of size.
Trinity/Jordyn - the problem here is it doesn't solve one problem (moving Didi off PG) and it creates a second problem (lack of post size).
Hannah - again, lack of experience (plus conditioning), she'll probably be our starting Post by 2023, but not quite yet.
Catilin - so many good plays, yet so much inconsistency, I sometimes think she merely needs more confidence. She's also constantly battling the challenge of an undersized post.

So pick your poison. Which imperfect scenario do you live with? The best possible scenario is for Queen to play more consistently with fewer fouls and turnovers, but until that magical date I'd be down with experimenting with Sarah/Jaden in a small lineup.
blueeyedbear
Eball said:

If you can't tell I am pro DiDi at point.
Reminds me of the fella that fell off the roof of a 49 story building....as he passed each floor he was heard to shout "so far so good"
hitmanmw
Brian Ethridge said:

Game is also on Fox SW as well at Fox Oklahoma

1pm
In hindsight, I'm glad I wasn't able to watch this one. I'll pass on the replay. I think I would've turned it off by halftime anyway. I followed on my phone down the stretch. The turnovers on every other possession were maddening!!

With DiDi at the point, the offense is going to be severely limited. Hard to complain about Chloe when we won a national title, but it was SO refreshing to have a PG in Te'a that could shoot the 3 from the top. Not to mention Juicy on the other wing. The help defender is always going to sag off DiDi and she cannot make them pay when the ball is reversed. When Trinity is on the floor at the same time, it's a disaster. That said, I've almost resigned myself to her still being the best option.

I like AP's small ball idea, but you would take a lot of lumps with Sarah at PG I'm afraid. Her % is not that great from 3 and she turns it over at an alarming rate, including some really ugly ones.

I still have hopes for Queen if she can just stay within herself. She gets my vote for the 5th starter. At the end of the day, I will defer to Mulkey that Andrews and/or Owens are just not ready. Until they are, this is just going to be a team with some offensive limitations. Still good enough to be Big 12 champs, though!
Eball
We are so spoiled !
Adriacus Peratuun
hitmanmw said:

I like AP's small ball idea, but you would take a lot of lumps with Sarah at PG I'm afraid. Her % is not that great from 3 and she turns it over at an alarming rate, including some really ugly ones.

I still have hopes for Queen if she can just stay within herself. She gets my vote for the 5th starter. At the end of the day, I will defer to Mulkey that Andrews and/or Owens are just not ready. Until they are, this is just going to be a team with some offensive limitations. Still good enough to be Big 12 champs, though!
Andrews does need to improve her shooting % on 3s, but in fairness she is shooting 31.4% for the season, 32.1% for conference, and she is doing that while logging inconsistent minutes and often playing with the other subs. Give her consistent minutes surrounded by the team's best players and I can easily see that shooting % jumping to 36-37% which is an acceptable rate.

To me the biggest negative is rebounding. Richards and Ursin would need to do yeoman's work on the boards and it might reduce transition opportunities. That said, the transition game against top teams hasn't been overwhelming to this point.

If small ball gives up an extra 6-7 points per game on D but creates an extra 10-11 points per game on O......that is a decent result. But Mulkey reiterated after the Oklahoma game that her primary focus is [and will always be] D and rebounding.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.