Kim wants new facility on campus

31,998 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aliceinbubbleland
fredbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://wacotrib.com/news/local/education/baylor-hoping-national-championship-has-far-reaching-ripple-effect-from-new-arena-to-enrollment/article_23e82372-9888-11eb-af1a-7727b443f9c3.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

I think she is right
baylorguy09
I really don't like the site of the downtown idea. Unless we build something like Louisville's and can attract other events like concerts or shows, pointless to move it downtown. Keep it on campus.

I do not understand who is in charge of planning events at McLane, but I can't believe we have not had any concerts there. Perfect venue to host concerts and we have had nothing.
bawitdaball
baylorguy09 said:

I really don't like the site of the downtown idea. Unless we build something like Louisville's and can attract other events like concerts or shows, pointless to move it downtown. Keep it on campus.

I do not understand who is in charge of planning events at McLane, but I can't believe we have not had any concerts there. Perfect venue to host concerts and we have had nothing.

When I was growing up Reba used to come am the time. She stopped when Baylor required that she remove all the "damn" lyrics from her songs. If Baylor still has that stance, it's likely why no one is performing.
gone to Tickfaw
So were moving backward. HOT and the old football stadium were off campus. How did that work? Recently visited Notre Dame and Iowa. Those basketball arenas are smack dabb on canous. Even UT is moving on campus. Mow down marrs mclean (sp) and plant basketball on campus. This is about Baylor, not Waco.
Lone Star
Keep it on campus!!

Downtown is doing just fine! Can't get a table at a restaurant without a reservation or a one hour wait.

The real issue hurting downtown now is the complete mess of the I-35 and other roadways in and around Waco that are under a S-L-O-W reconstruction process. There is a good chance that the arena could be done well before the roadways are!`
GarlandBear84
It's interesting that all the comments agree with Kim when on the premium board she's getting roasted. It seems about 90% over there want it downtown and they think Mulkey was out of line to say what she said.
Adriacus Peratuun
Imagine a group of corporate executives in the middle of making a key decision that will heavily impact the operations of two key divisions. Imagine that as they make that decision a key employee of one of those two divisions starts making public statements about the process and choices. Whether it is unintentional [misguided] or purposeful [trying to manipulate the executives] it is certain that the executives are going to be seriously unhappy with those comments, the employee making them, etc.

From 30,000 feet this appears to be a simple power play. Livingstone, Rhoades & the Board would be justifiably PO'ed at Mulkey. On the other hand Mulkey does have a history of speaking w/o having thought through the ramifications of her public comments. They had to expect this stuff might happen.

No school wants to get into a dispute with a coach with multiple NCs. But Power Play Politics is a cancer in any organization.
HarryJohnson
If anyone has the right to speak on this topic, it is Mulkey. There are a lot of WBB haters on the premium side. Drives me crazy. On campus makes sense to me for the reasons McLane is on campus.
GarlandBear84
The site by Robinson Tower is about the same distance from campus as McLane. It is right across I35.
Valkyrie
I view it as an expansion of the campus.
Adriacus Peratuun
Uber Simplification [minor discrepancies exist]:

Campus in Yellow
Core of Campus in Blue
Two Building Sites in Red

unless someone sees I-35 as a "hard barrier" [when the Brazos River and 77 clearly are not], are the two sites that different? Yes, one is in the heart of the athletic zone while the other is one step away from the edge of the athletic zone. Yes, one will have slightly more traffic. Yes, one will be more visible.

What exactly is the big difference that gets folks so twisted [re the choice]? Not seeing it. To me, the differences are minor [from the school's standpoint]. From the city's standpoint, I understand the preference.

Get the city to help fund a sizable parking garage, grease the skids on all permitting, make traffic flow changes as needed, etc. and in return be flexible on the site. Win Win. If not, pick the cheaper building site.

jumpinjoe
Adriacus Peratuun said:

No school wants to get into a dispute with a coach with multiple NCs. But Power Play Politics is a cancer in any organization.

But they will and do if the Coach gets too popular. Not NC's, but a coach who had taken Baylor to a penacle never before attained. Art Briles comes to mind.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
jumpinjoe
The one person with the most financial gain to the downtown site is Rick Sheldon and his company who has been trying to develop the riverfront property that he owns. If he can get Baylor to commit, then the development of the riverfront land will be easier to sell.

What it does for Baylor fans is make ingress and egress more complicated with traffic on University/4th (?) Street and parking. IH35 makes it hardly on campus since it is a dividing barrier.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
gone to Tickfaw
I35 is a huge barrier. Students won't walk or cross that barrier. Better do some surveys with students and athletes. Visit other major college field houses. Is Phog off campus? Is Duke's gym. The Brazos is conquered by a beautiful bridge that is now a campus feature. What are you going to do to get around I-35 and that underpass?
BaylorRocks
Someone paste the article here so all fans can read, please. I'm not buying a subscription to the WT for one article.

Thx

Sic'em
whitetrash
fujobear said:

I35 is a huge barrier. Students won't walk or cross that barrier. Better do some surveys with students and athletes. Visit other major college field houses. Is Phog off campus? Is Duke's gym. The Brazos is conquered by a beautiful bridge that is now a campus feature. What are you going to do to get around I-35 and that underpass?

The only major colleges I can think of whose arenas are not on campus* are Kentucky and Louisville. Rupp Arena and Yum Center are both downtown several miles from campus, but one could make the argument they are both semipro programs anyway.

Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln is separated from campus by a spur off the Interstate, but it's only 4-5 blocks from Memorial Stadium, and most of the parking lots for Nebraska football are on the other side of RR tracks next to the arena.

The Pit in Albuquerque is a mile or two off the main UNM campus, on a satellite campus with the rest of their athletic facilities. Same with the arena at NCSt in Raleigh, a couple miles from campus but next to the football stadium.

South Carolina and Wisconsin may be a few blocks from campus closer to downtown Columbia and Madison, but there are no impediments separating them from campus like I-35.

Maybe we should do what Boston College did: the upper deck of the football stadium is built on the roof of the basketball arena, with one concourse leading to the arena seating on one side and football seating on the other.

*excluding urban schools like Georgetown, DePaul, etc

Adriacus Peratuun
Simple question:

inasmuch as 90+% of students currently drive to the Ferrell Center for any event
inasmuch as that drive takes [at most] 4-5 minutes
inasmuch as [basically] 100% of everyone else drives to the Ferrell Center for any event
inasmuch as that drive will be substantially similar at either new location

what "really" is the big deal?

and I still think a Disney World style monorail with multiple stops on campus, the new arena and other sports venues, multiple stops downtown, and a stop at the Silos is the simple answer. Think about the traffic fix on every sporting event, the day-to-day connectivity, tours for prospective athletes & students, etc. The Magnolia Line [sponsored by someone]. Helps the student parking issue on campus also. Yes, there might be a Risky Business issue [movie shoutout for 2000 Alex]. Otherwise, all good.

Yes, that last paragraph is Pie in the Sky dream work.

fredbear
Of course it is all about $$$. Probably most would agree that all else equal you build on campus. Campus is not defined by linear distance, but by culture and community. The Baylor community, athletics and classrooms, majority of dorms are East of I 35. Not exactly the Berlin Wall, but it is a big deal to be on the other side of one of the busiest freeways in the country. Limitations, safety, and access to students are greatly lessened on the West side. You can't just build a bridge like they did to football stadium. Either you build at the logical place on campus as part of the athletic complex, or make a second best choice because the money from city and developers who will prosper at the expense of students makes it worth the compromise. We have one shot at this; hope BU will weigh all the issues carefully before they sellout the students who are actually paying the bills.
fredbear
And I understand organizational charts and communication control, but I think Kim Mulkey has certainly invested enough in the Baylor basketball enterprise to have a strong, if not the strongest, voice in the room. Hope she will speak up as she understands the dynamics of student athletes' daily life first hand. The location of their daily practice facilities needs to be convenient. And Kim has been there long enough to know what would work best for recruiting and practicing. If I want to talk about the flood, I'd like to speak with Noah. If it's Baylor basketball, I want the advise and input from our three time natty champ coach.
Lion82
Kim likes to practice on her home court. With the city being involved there will be many times when she can't practice on the home court. Most multi-purpose arenas are generic and have a convention center feel. Baylor has a chance to build a smaller field house with a collegiate feel on campus. That is what they should do.
WNIT in '23
baylorguy09
Umm, the Waco reconstruction is actually going quite fast and is on track to be completed a year ahead of schedule. Temple, Salado people are wondering what the hell took their section so long and Waco is flying.
Eball
I am with Kim
Timbear
Kim, I hope you recover quickly from your surgery. So many fans and Alumni Totally appreciate what you have done for Baylor for so many years. Thank you for your hard work and determined pursuit of excellence.
Bear2019
"If anyone has the right to speak on this topic, it is Mulkey. There are a lot of WBB haters on the premium side. Drives me crazy. On campus makes sense to me for the reasons McLane is on campus."

The people that think this way regarding Kim's input were either not around in 2003...or have a short memory. Like many others, I walked the Baylor campus in those days when you could sling a dead cat and hit someone who cared nothing about Baylor athletics. The little girl with pigtails from Hammond, La. flipped the tables in 2004-2005 with a WBB National Championship..with not one McDonald's All-American in the bunch. Throw in 2 more NC's, and I think she is well-deserving to have a strong say-so in all things Baylor athletics. Kim Mulkey was the spark that started the fire in modern day BU athletics, whether people want to admit it or not...premium board and poor memories be damned.
lookin4awin
Caddywampus said:

"If anyone has the right to speak on this topic, it is Mulkey. There are a lot of WBB haters on the premium side. Drives me crazy. On campus makes sense to me for the reasons McLane is on campus."

The people that think this way regarding Kim's input were either not around in 2003...or have a short memory. Like many others, I walked the Baylor campus in those days when you could sling a dead cat and hit someone who cared nothing about Baylor athletics. The little girl with pigtails from Hammond, La. flipped the tables in 2004-2005 with a WBB National Championship..with not one McDonald's All-American in the bunch. Throw in 2 more NC's, and I think she is well-deserving to have a strong say-so in all things Baylor athletics. Kim Mulkey was the spark that started the fire in modern day BU athletics, whether people want to admit it or not...premium board and poor memories be damned.
Couldn't agree with you more. I had no idea that so many on the Premium side had Mulkey-o-phobia-it sounds. On campus makes sense to me too. Hope that is where it lands.
Dcheetah
Main board is saying it is apparently already decided and unlikely to be on campus.
lookin4awin
I like to think of this Forum as being the Main board. Ha...I am just teasing.
buparent2025
New user here and a parent of a new Baylor freshman-to-be.

As someone from Houston, I guess I just don't understand the uproar. I've stayed in a hotel not too far from the downtown site being proposed and to me, that seems entirely within walking distance of the campus. It's not like we're talking about the distance from downtown Houston to the University of Houston (which honestly isn't that far from downtown).

As a parent, I'm more concerned about future dorms for Baylor students. As the campus expands in size, it does seem to me that there will be a real need for new dorms.

Is there a down side to using the space where the Ferrell Center is now for future dorms?
fredbear
Volleyball team using Ferrell center, and they will not build dorms in the middle of the athletic complex.
fredbear
Timbear what is your reference to Kim's surgery?
bugwub78
Was just on the premium side and Brian posted that Kim had emergency surgery yesterday but is already home. Not sure why he didn't post here, gave the haters even more opportunity to post ugly stuff.
BaylorRocks
Dcheetah said:

Main board is saying it is apparently already decided and unlikely to be on campus.
This is the main board.....believe me.
ctxbear
I'm with those who have noted that the proposed "downtown" site is only nominally "off campus."

I suspect coach will come around to Mulkey Fieldhouse being built wherever it ends up being built.
BUatbirth
Gonna be interesting if across I35...mainly walking traffic from one side to the other. Parking will be a challenge also...maybe use the stadium parking? Then again, pedestrian traffic from one side to the other. Could have some neat ways of solving that...will cost booKoos of $$$. All in how it's done...whichever local. I would get rid of the Ferrell all together. I've never thought it is much to look at. I have always thought to repurpose Mars McClain gym to be the VB venue. I think it would be a awesome venue for VB. Love me some CKM, but she won't decide which location. Kinda think she has fired a few shots lately, and admin isn't about to give her more bullets...if they can help it.
Bearprof
Can't get rid of Ferrell. It's the only place large enough to hold graduation ceremonies and other large events. I'd love to see the field house on the other side of the river, across from Ferrell. Just walk across the bridge and there you are. There will obviously have to be some parking and such next to the field house, but you have parking right there so why not use it. Not sure who owns the land on the other side of the Brazos.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.