LSU's Nikki Fargas steps down. Who's next?

34,226 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ABC BEAR
Bear2019
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Uh-Oh!

Bruin92
Sure with Kim would simply say...."Baylor has treated me so very well and I am extremely happy at Baylor."
slimecap
Caddywampus, Thank you for your post
fredbear
Need to put that new field house right where she wants it! They will not pay her what we pay her, but pride is a powerful motivator.
blackie
fredbear said:

Need to put that new field house right where she wants it! They will not pay her what we pay her, but pride is a powerful motivator.
Loyalty to long-term dedicated fans that supported her from the beginning and players is also a powerful motivator. And loyalty is something she puts tremendous weight into. I suspect it is a case of where, she would like to be there, but the ties she would have to break are just too great. There in lies the angst. And who knows what she thinks her physical condition may be as far as having to take several years to get back to where she is now. Lots of things none of us know. But obviously all will rest easier assuming someone else is announced as the new coach there.

Of course, one day sooner or later CKM will not be on the Baylor sidelines. Just like at UConn, Geno will not be on the sidelines. Everyone must be prepared to see that happen. I trust that our AD is doing that preparation because it will happen whether the coach wants it to or not. No one is guaranteed tomorrow. It will be a sad day when CKM is no longer here, but I will be surprised if this will be the reason.
lookin4awin
I hope Baylor is planning some celebration event to honor her induction. This is such a huge event- and I agree with the talk show hosts- SHE ABSOLUTELY DESERVES IT.
BleedGreen&Gold
She has said that a lot and actually said something similar to this earlier in the interview.
setshot
It has always interested me that every time there is a major opening in women's basketball coaching circles, Baylor fans start feeling apprehensive about losing Mulkey, especially when it is the LSU position. Baylor pays better than almost anyone other than UCONN, has recruiting advantages, has excellent facilities (soon to be even better), has given Mulkey two decades of just about everything that she wants, and employs her daughter and her daughter's best friend. I cannot understand just why LSU seems to be so attractive to Baylor fans when it has never seemed to be that attractive to Kim Mulkey when the position has been vacant before.

Waco is her home (how long has it been since she was located in southern Louisiana?), and has women's basketball fans which, as a group, are as loyal as you will be likely to find. She has friendships two decades in the making here, and loyalty extends to more than to a school or a program. It involves community and social ties, as well. This is where her children grew up and where her daughter and her family have deep ties.

In addition, there are few athletic programs in the country where the women's basketball team has a higher profile or is as closely followed by more fans than at Baylor and in Central Texas. I can think of very many reasons for Mulkey to stay at Baylor until she retires, and very few reasons that would lure her away.

Not incidentally, as much as I admire and appreciate her, I do not see her as irreplaceable. Baylor is a high profile, highly desirable women's coaching job and the AD would likely have a very large field to choose from should Mulkey leave, or when she retires, including many who have proven themselves in postseason play. I do not think that that will happen any time soon unless it is if for reasons of health. I feel much the same way about Drew and his situation.
Bear2019
I have no doubt, that as Michael Jordan is introducing Kim Mulkey into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, the Baylor powers that be will be thinking about Kim's numerous replacements.
setshot
The really competent athletic directors should always have a list of potential replacements for the coaches in the major sports, else they are not doing their jobs very well.
fredbear
Good words setshot, but KM will be difficult to replace. Only Geno is better. There are many good coaches, but very few who win 90 percent of the time in a major conference. Even Dawn Staley has not won like Kim, why she did not even win the SEC regular season this year and she is the USA Olympic coach. So I'm not sure Kim has any equals other than Geno.

Who are the best in the layer beneath KM?

fredbear
Dawn Staley
Jeff Walz, like it or not he wins
Tara V., Too old

Actually, go try to find anyone else in D1 that wins nearly 90 percent of the time, I can't find any. And yes they might win more at BU, but Kim inherited NO advantages when she came to Baylor and still wins 90 percent of the time. I actually think the three above are in a class by themselves with Kim. Jeff only one likely to move for $$$? Not trying to stir things up, but KM is actually a rare find when you start comparisons. Tech had a strong program with Sharp, and a huge fan base. But the school did not remain committed to the program after her retirement and has tried to hire bargains. Even UT has just now woken up and hired from the top shelf. I hope I'm wrong, but watching Tennessee try to replace Summit, tells you it will be a process and the results are not likely to be the same. Kim makes it look easy; but don't be fooled. I think we listen to Kim, appreciate Kim and get another decade from her. She is not even 60 yet. Tara V. And Geno are 67, Blair 75, Kim has a lot of time left is she wants it. She needs to reach 1000 wins to hit the milestone and has only 600 plus now. Just bringing some cold reality to the slim pickings beneath her.
ABC BEAR
There really is a dearth of candidates to replace Kim today. If she is here for another 10 years the coaching landscape should change considerably. One of the few candidates, Jennie Baranczyk was hired recently by Oklahoma. She will have them at an elite level again. In fact, Oklahoma made a significant commitment to men's basketball with the hiring of Porter Moser. Hiring two young rising stars in the profession shows that OU is not about to cede basketball supremacy to the Texas schools.

Finding someone who is a fit for the Baylor culture reduces the pool even more.
Meladee
Caddywampus said:

I have no doubt, that as Michael Jordan is introducing Kim Mulkey into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, the Baylor powers that be will be thinking about Kim's numerous replacements.

What is wrong with you? Keep the trash comments in the premium forum.
historian
Here's one guy's take on the rumors that Mulkey would go to LSU:

It includes a clip from the above video/audio. It also has some foul language.
gone to Tickfaw
the sad fact is you will never replace Kim Mulkey.

baylorbear33
I thought KM was a La Tech grad? What is the draw for her to LSU? Genuinely trying to understand why this would be a thing. I know Kramer went to LSU, so are there other ties to that school?
TechDawgMc
baylorbear33 said:

I thought KM was a La Tech grad? What is the draw for her to LSU? Genuinely trying to understand why this would be a thing. I know Kramer went to LSU, so are there other ties to that school?
She's from South Louisiana. That area is extreme LSU country. Even a lot of Tech grads tend to be more LSU fans than Tech fans (something very annoying to those of us loyal to the school). It's very similar to the way you see UT fans on Baylor's campus.

I can remember hearing Mulkey say that she was planning to go to LSU until she met Sonja Hogg. While I'm not sure she'd see it as exactly a home school, it is about an hour from where she grew up.
SerbinGold
Really?? You don't see her as irreplaceable?? She's just one of the best women's coaches in the games history, dominated the Big 12 and won three national titles.

Any other great commentary we need to be aware of?
trey3216
ABC BEAR said:

There really is a dearth of candidates to replace Kim today. If she is here for another 10 years the coaching landscape should change considerably. One of the few candidates, Jennie Baranczyk was hired recently by Oklahoma. She will have them at an elite level again. In fact, Oklahoma made a significant commitment to men's basketball with the hiring of Porter Moser. Hiring two young rising stars in the profession shows that OU is not about to cede basketball supremacy to the Texas schools.

the big thing is there's a dearth of real programs in women's basketball to begin with. There may be 4 teams in the women's tourney every year that have an honest shot at winning the title. We are luckily one of those programs.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
blackie
trey3216 said:

ABC BEAR said:

the big thing is there's a dearth of real programs in women's basketball to begin with. There may be 4 teams in the women's tourney every year that have an honest shot at winning the title. We are luckily one of those programs.
I think you have more than a handful that on a given year can win it, but for those it is usually a one-shot deal. None outside of who you normally think of right now (BU, UConn, Stanford, SC, etc.), have the coach that has been there somewhat consistently. Louisville is close.

You did have ND and Tennessee, but look what happened once the long-time coach was no longer there. Which will probably happen to those four above once the coach is no long there....at least for a bit. There are coaches that will be there in the not too distant future, but it takes time to get to the consistently challenging position to be there on an ongoing basis. Look at Baylor....we were essentially a one-shot deal in 2005 before it took several years to establish the consistency in talent for Mulkey to get back.

Bear2019
Da' really stirrin' dat gumbo up dis mornin' down on da bayou. Kramer's momma be comin'? Laissez les bons temps rouler?

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/lsu-sports/kim-mulkey-is-coming-home/95991668/
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Just when I thought this site held a monopoly on idiots.
ABC BEAR
They weren't willing to take a chance on her when she was a long time assistant, but now they might be interested?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Meladee said:

Caddywampus said:

What is wrong with you? Keep the trash comments in the premium forum.
Weird comment as he's never been a member on the premium section, but you can go their and search for him with your sub.
DFW Bill
ABC BEAR said:

They weren't willing to take a chance on her when she was a long time assistant, but now they might be interested?
Kim Mulkey was never at LSU in any capacity. Her school as a player and Assistant Coach was Louisiana Tech.
ABC BEAR
DFW Bill said:

ABC BEAR said:

Kim Mulkey was never at LSU in any capacity. Her school as a player and Assistant Coach was Louisiana Tech.
I should have been more concise, sorry. I was inferring that LSU never hired her from La. Tech when they had an opening. Baylor did and she has rewarded our trust magnificently. Now that she has 3 national titles and a Naismith Hall of Fame induction on her resume', LSU is interested.
Lion82
Within 2 years of Kim's departure, the program will resemble Texas Tech's and there will be 750 people in the stands. Kim has taken us on an extended ride that very few college fan bases get to experience.
WNIT in '23
blackie
Lion82 said:

Within 2 years of Kim's departure, the program will resemble Texas Tech's and there will be 750 people in the stands. Kim has taken us on an extended ride that very few college fan bases get to experience.
I think it depends on the replacement. I think Baylor has learned the value of WBB and the difference a coach makes. Tech just assumed that recruits would flock to them as did UT to some extent. As I mentioned in another post above, every major WBB power right now will be challenged not to become the next (current) ND and Tennessee....falling from such a high perch.....even UConn when Geno is gone. Stanford just might be the exception because of their academic reputation.
drahthaar
Replacements? Kim's had several assistants who drew a lot of praise from folks on this site. Maybe one of these in time and after some seasoning elsewhere? Or maybe a hire from within the staff?
blackie
drahthaar said:

Replacements? Kim's had several assistants who drew a lot of praise from folks on this site. Maybe one of these in time and after some seasoning elsewhere? Or maybe a hire from within the staff?
Hires from the staff is highly risky. Didn't work out well with Tennessee. I wouldn't be comfortable with anyone on the current staff. Love Brock for example but the times he has been in charge temporarily have been blah. Fortunately I don't think we will need a replacement for a while, but I would look elsewhere versus internal when the time comes. Baylor itself is not a draw. The draw right now is the coach. That will need to be so in the future. One of the staff is not going to cut ut, IMO.
geewago
drahthaar said:

Replacements? Kim's had several assistants who drew a lot of praise from folks on this site. Maybe one of these in time and after some seasoning elsewhere? Or maybe a hire from within the staff.
You're right. There's actually been a couple of posters in the past that claimed Kim was grooming McKenzie for the job. And whenever she stepped down McKenzie would take over and we'd never miss a beat. Love the girl, but that's about as funny as kissing a porcupine.
slimecap
geewago said:

about as funny as kissing a porcupine.

Brian Ethridge
Staff
geewago said:

drahthaar said:

Replacements? Kim's had several assistants who drew a lot of praise from folks on this site. Maybe one of these in time and after some seasoning elsewhere? Or maybe a hire from within the staff.
You're right. There's actually been a couple of posters in the past that claimed Kim was grooming McKenzie for the job. And whenever she stepped down McKenzie would take over and we'd never miss a beat. Love the girl, but that's about as funny as kissing a porcupine.
Any former players succeeding at the coaching level?
drahthaar
blackie said:

drahthaar said:

Hires from the staff is highly risky. Didn't work out well with Tennessee. I wouldn't be comfortable with anyone on the current staff. Love Brock for example but the times he has been in charge temporarily have been blah. Fortunately I don't think we will need a replacement for a while, but I would look elsewhere versus internal when the time comes. Baylor itself is not a draw. The draw right now is the coach. That will need to be so in the future. One of the staff is not going to cut ut, IMO.
Brock's strength IMO is in staying the role just where he is. The next HC in WBB at Baylor, even if it is 15 years down the road is another woman.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.