How was the Drew and Mulkey relationship?

8,985 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wichitabear
Ghostrider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
blackie said:

MattyIce said:

zunooreo said:

Dumb question. It's like asking/stirring the relationship between the CEO of Home Depot and the CEO of Lowe's. Both lead completely different organizations, but compete in the same market.

Cordial, professional, but solely focused on their own lemonade stand.

Sic'em
WHAT?
You support each other, that is what you do as a head coach, you support other head coaches at your school...
I saw Dave Aranda at the Final Four and National Championship in Indianapolis. (to the best of my knowledge all other sports were in season the first of April)
I have seen Scott Drew at the Womens National Championship
I remember seeing Matt Rhule in the Bear Pit
I did not see Kim Mulkey at the Mens Final Four or National Championship game.....
Might also add that Mulkey rarely held her "paw" up during the singing of the school song while standing along side her players.

BikerBear

This is from 2012.......

Yep…my son and I were at that game. I was sure happy that we whipped those a$$wipes. I am sure that zone defense helped, but it didn't hurt that Brady Heslip was shooting out of his mind that night.
BikerBear
There does seem to be some revisionist history going on here.
historian
MattyIce said:

zunooreo said:

Dumb question. It's like asking/stirring the relationship between the CEO of Home Depot and the CEO of Lowe's. Both lead completely different organizations, but compete in the same market.

Sic'em
WHAT?
You support each other, that is what you do as a head coach, you support other head coaches at your school...
I saw Dave Aranda at the Final Four and National Championship in Indianapolis. (to the best of my knowledge all other sports were in season the first of April)
I have seen Scott Drew at the Womens National Championship
I remember seeing Matt Rhule in the Bear Pit
I did not see Kim Mulkey at the Mens Final Four or National Championship game.....

CNC was in the Bear Pit (front row) with the WBB team for the Villanova game. Drew & the other coaches were in the same place Sunday (1st half only). I didn't see any MBB players, though. They may have been somewhere else.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
3rdgenbear
Goldigger said:

Mulkey was under the misguided impression that she was in charge. After the Starr/Ian asskiss rodeo left town, Mulkey had trouble dealing with superiors who actually let her know who the boss was. And then Drew won...and it was just too much for her. So she split.

So, she went down to the small Louisiana college where she would be the only game in town?

Hate can eat at your soul. It's best to let it go.
drahthaar
Never even thought about their relationship. Did pay attention to the jobs they did, both excellent.
BleedGreen&Gold
blackie said:

Not sure Mulkey's ego had room for anyone else's program to be in the spotlight. I remember seeing Scott at important women's games when it didn't conflict with his responsibilities with his team, especially in earlier years when the women's team was going great while his program was struggling. Never or seldom ever saw that from Mulkey. Don't know much about the last few years as we have been unable to attend games. Scott readily casts the spotlight on others....Kim, not so much.
I can only speak to the days when I was a student and lived in Texas still and could attend many games. I know in those years it was very common to see Mulkey and players attending men's games. There are many who want to rewrite history and say Mulkey wasn't active in the athletic department or supportive of other coaches. Just not true. Now, in the last few years under the new admin maybe that was more true due to the poor relationship between Mack and Mulkey ...
Wichitabear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Y'all think she even watched the Men's championship game?
I want to think she did.
Ghostrider
Wichitabear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

I want to think she did.

Of course. She also called Drew, celebrated with him when he returned and posted congrats on Twitter.
baylorbear33
Can y'all see the giant pot stirring sticks that some of these posters are wielding? Seriously pulling stuff out of their a$$. So freakin' ignorant.
historian
Garbage thread
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Wichitabear
Ghostrider said:

Wichitabear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

I want to think she did.

Of course. She also called Drew, celebrated with him when he returned and posted congrats on Twitter.
I am glad to hear this. I appreciate everything she did for our basketball program. She put us on the map. I will always love and appreciate her. Our girls are looking good and I wish our next coach much success
Bbeary15
Kim was also a single mom raising two kids during the majority of her time at Baylor.. I'd think she'd have spent any free time parenting and staying active in her kids' athletic careers.
Wichitabear
Method Man said:

zunooreo said:

Mitch Henessey said:

zunooreo said:

Mitch Henessey said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em
This is a poor analogy. It'd be more like the heads for different product lines at Home Depot. Say, lumber and fixtures. They're in the same org, rowing the same direction, but are each focused on their own bottom line and their own area of expertise, which yes, is in the same industry, but is vastly different.

Likening them to head-to-head competitors is absurd.
I never said/typed that they competed against each other. Read the post again, carefully this time.

Sic'em
So you don't think Lowe's and Home Depot compete against each other? Because that was the analogy you used, not me.

Seems like your analogy skills are as lacking as your tourney predictions.
You don't understand the analogy. I can understand how you don't, as you've probably never held senior positions at large companies.

Let me try to help: At their size/prestige, neither one wakes up and drives each one of their days strategizing against the other. They focus on running their own businesses better, and improving the results/bottom line of it. Not acting for/on the demise of the other. They both simply compete for the same pool of market (attention / money / respect / etc.).

But, hey, you stay you and keep personally attacking others with a different viewpoint than your own.

Sic'em
I got your analogy, and I starred you up.

The Mens and Womens teams are competing for ATTENTION AND ACCOLADES.
From the media, and the common fan.

This is true of any school where the Mens and Womens basketball teams are both elite.

I'm sure they both root for each other (publicly) but you don't become a millionaire coaching collegiate sports unless you are insanely competitive.

Knowing Coach Mulkey....you would be out your mind to not think that she wasn't proud of being the coach of the premier sports program at Baylor University.
I fully believe she was proud and proud of her girls. For whatever reason, it was just her time to move on.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.