How was the Drew and Mulkey relationship?

8,789 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wichitabear
Ewalker80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I always got the sense they were cordial but not particularly close. Mostly because they didn't seem to talk about each other that much. Knowing Drew you would expect him to be constantly singing mulkey's praises if they were close.
Michibear
From a vast distance away, that was always my sense, too.
blackie
Not sure Mulkey's ego had room for anyone else's program to be in the spotlight. I remember seeing Scott at important women's games when it didn't conflict with his responsibilities with his team, especially in earlier years when the women's team was going great while his program was struggling. Never or seldom ever saw that from Mulkey. Don't know much about the last few years as we have been unable to attend games. Scott readily casts the spotlight on others....Kim, not so much.
BamaGoose
I think all 3 of you guys nailed it. That's the way I saw it also
Goldigger
Mulkey was under the misguided impression that she was in charge. After the Starr/Ian asskiss rodeo left town, Mulkey had trouble dealing with superiors who actually let her know who the boss was. And then Drew won...and it was just too much for her. So she split.
BaylorRocks
Dumb question. It's like asking/stirring the relationship between the CEO of Home Depot and the CEO of Lowe's. Both lead completely different organizations, but compete in the same market.

Cordial, professional, but solely focused on their own lemonade stand.

Sic'em
Mitch Henessey
zunooreo said:

Dumb question. It's like asking/stirring the relationship between the CEO of Home Depot and the CEO of Lowe's. Both lead completely different organizations, but compete in the same market.

Sic'em
This is a poor analogy. It'd be more like the heads for different product lines at Home Depot. Say, lumber and fixtures. They're in the same org, rowing the same direction, but are each focused on their own bottom line and their own area of expertise, which yes, is in the same industry, but is vastly different.

Likening them to head-to-head competitors is absurd.
BaylorRocks
Mitch Henessey said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em
This is a poor analogy. It'd be more like the heads for different product lines at Home Depot. Say, lumber and fixtures. They're in the same org, rowing the same direction, but are each focused on their own bottom line and their own area of expertise, which yes, is in the same industry, but is vastly different.

I never said/typed that they competed against each other. Read the post again, carefully this time.

Sic'em
MattyIce
zunooreo said:

Sic'em
WHAT?
You support each other, that is what you do as a head coach, you support other head coaches at your school...
I saw Dave Aranda at the Final Four and National Championship in Indianapolis. (to the best of my knowledge all other sports were in season the first of April)
I have seen Scott Drew at the Womens National Championship
I remember seeing Matt Rhule in the Bear Pit
I did not see Kim Mulkey at the Mens Final Four or National Championship game.....
Mitch Henessey
zunooreo said:

Mitch Henessey said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em

I never said/typed that they competed against each other. Read the post again, carefully this time.

Sic'em
So you don't think Lowe's and Home Depot compete against each other? Because that was the analogy you used, not me.

Seems like your analogy skills are as lacking as your tourney predictions.
blackie
MattyIce said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em
WHAT?
You support each other, that is what you do as a head coach, you support other head coaches at your school...
I saw Dave Aranda at the Final Four and National Championship in Indianapolis. (to the best of my knowledge all other sports were in season the first of April)
I have seen Scott Drew at the Womens National Championship
I remember seeing Matt Rhule in the Bear Pit
I did not see Kim Mulkey at the Mens Final Four or National Championship game.....
Might also add that Mulkey rarely held her "paw" up during the singing of the school song while standing along side her players.
BaylorRocks
Mitch Henessey said:

zunooreo said:

Mitch Henessey said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em

Sic'em
So you don't think Lowe's and Home Depot compete against each other? Because that was the analogy you used, not me.

You don't understand the analogy. I can understand how you don't, as you've probably never held senior positions at large companies.

Let me try to help: At their size/prestige, neither one wakes up and drives each one of their days strategizing against the other. They focus on running their own businesses better, and improving the results/bottom line of it. Not acting for/on the demise of the other. They both simply compete for the same pool of market (attention / money / respect / etc.).

But, hey, you stay you and keep personally attacking others with a different viewpoint than your own.

Sic'em
Method Man
zunooreo said:

Sic'em
4 National Titles (and about 30 NCAA tournament appearances) between them means I don't really care if they were best friends or not.
Mitch Henessey
zunooreo said:

Mitch Henessey said:

zunooreo said:

Mitch Henessey said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em

Sic'em

You don't understand the analogy. I can understand how you don't, as you've probably never held senior positions at large companies.

Let me try to help: At their size/prestige, neither one wakes up and drives each one of their days strategizing against the other. They focus on running their own businesses better, and improving the results/bottom line of it. Not acting for/on the demise of the other. They both simply compete for the same pool of market (attention / money / respect / etc.).

But, hey, you stay you and keep personally attacking others with a different viewpoint than your own.

Sic'em
How is it a personal attack to point out the objective fact that you used a poor analogy or that you showed zero predictive ability in your basketball tournament prognostications?
Method Man
zunooreo said:

Mitch Henessey said:

zunooreo said:

Mitch Henessey said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em

Sic'em

Sic'em
I got your analogy, and I starred you up.

The Mens and Womens teams are competing for ATTENTION AND ACCOLADES.
From the media, and the common fan.

This is true of any school where the Mens and Womens basketball teams are both elite.

I'm sure they both root for each other (publicly) but you don't become a millionaire coaching collegiate sports unless you are insanely competitive.

Knowing Coach Mulkey....you would be out your mind to not think that she wasn't proud of being the coach of the premier sports program at Baylor University.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Y'all think she even watched the Men's championship game?
Mitch Henessey
Method Man said:

zunooreo said:

Mitch Henessey said:

zunooreo said:

Mitch Henessey said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em

Sic'em

Sic'em
I got your analogy and I starred you up.

The Mens and Womens teams are competing for ATTENTION.
From the media, and the common fan.

This is true of any school where the Mens and Womens basketball teams are both elite.

I'm sure they both root for each other (publicly) but you don't become a millionaire coaching collegiate sports unless you are insanely competitive.

Knowing Coach Mulkey....you would be out your mind to not think that she wasn't proud of being the Coach of the premier sports program at Baylor University.
This is a major problem with Baylor fans: acting like one has to choose to be a fan of either the WBB program or the MBB program.

They are not mutually exclusive, but I feel like many fans feel like they are. I can give examples of both sides, but it wouldn't be productive. Instead, I'll say that one program's coach didn't publicly view things through that lens, and one program's former coach did.
ABC BEAR
Once Kim convinced Scott to drop the Zone and embrace the Man defense his W-L record got better in a hurry.
bear2be2
Mitch Henessey said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em

This issue IMO is that Drew views it like you do, and Mulkey viewed it like zunooreo. To her, it was a competition with men's basketball for resources, attention, media coverage, etc. This would at least seem to be the case based on her lack of acknowledgement of men's basketball achievement and the timing of her departure.
blackie
ABC BEAR said:

Once Kim convinced Scott to drop the Zone and embrace the Man defense his W=L record got better in a hurry.
What evidence do you have that she convinced him of anything? I think he did it because he finally had players with the ability to do it. I think he has consistently based his offense/defense on the ability of his players.
ctxbear
This is an interesting conversation with a lot of angles.

I think Kim was probably competitive against MBB, as she was competitive in every other area of life. Some may say-- "Well, it shouldn't be that way. The coach of a women's team at a university shouldn't feel like the coach of the men's team of the same school is competition." And those people are right. It shouldn't be that way. But it is. One only need to look at the salaries of men's coaches at schools who have barely ever cracked the Sweet 16 vs. the salaries of women's coaches who are regularly in the Final 4 to see that this is true.

CKM didn't create the beast of Baylor Women's Basketball by being buddies with other coaches.

But an interesting caveat: I do remember one instance where I saw Mulkey and Drew hob-knobbing like old pals, and that was at Matt Rhule's introductory press conference as BU's coach in the Ferrell Center. Both of them sat together, and they both seemed to be feeling the same thing. After BU Football almost brought down our entire university (not making a judgment one way or the other there), and with their relative fortunes tied to the rebuilding of the football program, they seemed to be on the same team.

It's all a competition.
Bear8084
ABC BEAR said:

Once Kim convinced Scott to drop the Zone and embrace the Man defense his W=L record got better in a hurry.

I don't think that is how it happened...

CSD has used both and used them to what players he had. As blackie has said, it just depended what group of players he had. Mulkey wasn't telling him to do anything. That's about as crazy sounding as the "Mulkey should coach the men's team!" posts whenever there was a bad loss or early Tourney exit for CSD.
Michibear
bear2be2 said:

To her, it was a competition with men's basketball for resources, attention, media coverage, etc. This would at least seem to be the case based on her lack of acknowledgement of men's basketball achievement and the timing of her departure.
Wait until she finds out about LSU football. Hoo boy!!

ABC BEAR
blackie said:

ABC BEAR said:

What evidence do you have that she convinced him of anything? I think he did it because he finally had players with the ability to do it. I think he has consistently based his offense/defense on the ability of his players.
My style(if there is any) runs from waggish to satirical in most of my posts.
Malbec
I saw Kim at maybe a half-dozen or so men's games in the last 3-4 years, and saw Scott at the women's game a few times also. The teams most often had conflicting schedules, so it would be hard for either to attend many of the other team's games. Yet, they both did so when they could.
Stefano DiMera
Satire and sarcasm i think you missed .

Chris Beard and Tech making the championship game is what made Drew go to the no middle defense.
Adriacus Peratuun
Geno Auriemma & Jim Calhoun both won multiple national championships at UConn and yet peacefully coexisted.

CSD publicly stated on multiple occasions that he switched to a version of the No Middle Man D because several key players approached him and told him that they were more comfortable playing Man D as opposed to the CSD Zone D.

Leonidas
Here is an account about Mulkey "telling" Drew to switch to a zone defense at one point through the TV set - such is how "stories" develop:

Baylor coach Kim Mulkey is known for her intense focus but when the Lady Bears aren't practicing or playing during March Madness she does what most other sports fans are doing - she watches basketball.
"I watched the men's game the other night and I'm screaming the TV and pounding the table," Mulkey said of the No. 3 seed Baylor team's NCAA victory over Colorado Saturday night. "I'm giving my suggestions to (Scott Drew) and by God he finally listened."
Mulkey related the story during Monday's news conference as her top-seeded team prepares to face No. 9 Florida in the NCAA Tournament's second round. She was in a joking mood, saying "bless you" to a reporter who sneezed and laughing that she had just "blessed the media."
A victory by the Lady Bears would give Baylor teams in the Sweet 16 of both the men's and women's tournaments. Baylor's victory over Colorado Saturday hinged on coach Scott Drew switching from a man-to-man to zone defense. It turns out that's the advice Mulkey was yelling at her television in Bowling Green, Ohio, while the Bears were battling in Albuquerque, N.M.
"I'm not questioning any coaching, I am Scott Drew's biggest fan," Mulkey said. "Scott is a zone coach and I'm a man-to-man coach. He's playing more man-to-man now and I'm loving it. But the other night I was screaming he had to go zone to keep Colorado out of the paint.
"He went zone and it won the game for him. I called one of his assistants (Monday morning) and said, 'OK, I' proud of ya'll for making a change and going to a z-z-z-zone.' I got that word out of my mouth. But it really did win the game for them."

Bear75605
ABC BEAR said:

Once Kim convinced Scott to drop the Zone and embrace the Man defense his W-L record got better in a hurry.
And vice versa. Kim was violently opposed to bringing in transfer players. Scott convinced her, because of his experience, that she should at least be open to the possibilities. That made some major changes to her program within the last few years.
MattyIce
Leonidas said:

Here is an account about Mulkey "telling" Drew to switch to a zone defense at one point through the TV set - such is how "stories" develop:

Baylor coach Kim Mulkey is known for her intense focus but when the Lady Bears aren't practicing or playing during March Madness she does what most other sports fans are doing - she watches basketball.
"I watched the men's game the other night and I'm screaming the TV and pounding the table," Mulkey said of the No. 3 seed Baylor team's NCAA victory over Colorado Saturday night. "I'm giving my suggestions to (Scott Drew) and by God he finally listened."
Mulkey related the story during Monday's news conference as her top-seeded team prepares to face No. 9 Florida in the NCAA Tournament's second round. She was in a joking mood, saying "bless you" to a reporter who sneezed and laughing that she had just "blessed the media."
A victory by the Lady Bears would give Baylor teams in the Sweet 16 of both the men's and women's tournaments. Baylor's victory over Colorado Saturday hinged on coach Scott Drew switching from a man-to-man to zone defense. It turns out that's the advice Mulkey was yelling at her television in Bowling Green, Ohio, while the Bears were battling in Albuquerque, N.M.
"I'm not questioning any coaching, I am Scott Drew's biggest fan," Mulkey said. "Scott is a zone coach and I'm a man-to-man coach. He's playing more man-to-man now and I'm loving it. But the other night I was screaming he had to go zone to keep Colorado out of the paint.
"He went zone and it won the game for him. I called one of his assistants (Monday morning) and said, 'OK, I' proud of ya'll for making a change and going to a z-z-z-zone.' I got that word out of my mouth. But it really did win the game for them."

This is from 2012.......
Aliceinbubbleland
Method Man said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em
4 National Titles (and about 30 NCAA tournament appearances) between them means I don't really care if they were best friends or not.
Very well stated!
Eball
I have never heard one or the other say anything but positive about the other. I also know they rooted for each other and the players on both teams were very supportive of each other. The whole Kim was jealous or disliked any other sport is garbage....
Alan Lefever
ABC BEAR said:

Drew switched TO a zone in 2010 and that got us to our first EE. He ran man to man much of the time before that...and watching Lomers in man to man was very painful...

He switch BACK to man when he had the players to run it.
Aliceinbubbleland
Thank you Eball. I'm a much bigger supporter of the men's program but I really hate all the dicing of Kim just because she left. Winners aren't Bubble girls and boys. They are men and women. You watched the few games that were close to see if Kim could bring home another title and she did. Big shoes to fill.
Jayman1963
Eball said:

I have never heard one or the other say anything but positive about the other. I also know they rooted for each other and the players on both teams were very supportive of each other. The whole Kim was jealous or disliked any other sport is garbage....
Eball - That was always my take on the KM/SD relationship: they supported each other's teams and as coaches as much as they could with their individual seasons completely overlapping.

I would expect the SD/NC relationship to be just as cordial if not more so seems SD and NC have more in common: both have three kids (I believe all are basically in their teenage years, whereas KM is a grandmother), age difference is slightly smaller between SD/NC (50-45 versus 58-50 between KM/SD), both grew up (at least partially during their childhoods) in Indiana.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.