Story Poster
Photo by © Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Women's Basketball

The Rebrand and Rebuild Of The Lady Bears; Transfer Portal Notables

May 14, 2021

After 21 years and three NCAA National Championships, the unexpected happened last month and the Baylor Lady Bears were without a coach that took the program to the top of the food chain in women’s college basketball.

Baylor Director of Athletics wasn’t caught flat footed, however, and Baylor was able to name a coach seven days after the new broke that Kim Mulkey would return to her home state and lead LSU during the final stretch of her career.

To continue reading, you must be a SicEm365 Premium subscriber.
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial
Discussion from...

The Rebrand and Rebuild Of The Lady Bears; Transfer Portal Notables

15,205 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by slimecap
Wbbfan29
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Carr committed to Syracuse yesterday.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Wbbfan29 said:

Carr committed to Syracuse yesterday.
Put it together Tuesday, checked yesterday

Happens
Wbbfan29
Hope we can luck up on some post players or tall forwards. Do think it's too late to get players from overseas?
Sunshine247
Christianna Carr from KS State transferred to Syracuse. I haven't heard/read anything about Chrislyn Carr transferring and assume she's sticking with Baylor so far.
Wbbfan29
Yes, Carr from kstate is who I was referring to.
slimecap
Brian Ethridge said:

Here are some players to watch in the portal:
Emma Chapman, 6-3 F, SO, Kansas State
2021 Stats: N/A
Excerpts
.. 2019 prospect out of Hickman High School Columbia MO
.. During high school, she was also recruited by Missouri & Missouri State

As for Chapman's best asset on the floor?
"I think for me, a lot of it is being able to encourage my teammates and lift them up," Chapman said. "I'm a leader and a presence on the floor. I think that's something a lot of coaches told me that they really like about me. And also the fact that I'm such a young basketball player. I haven't been playing basketball for that long. I think it's been about four years I've been playing."

Link for entire article
https://247sports.com/college/kansas-state/Article/Kansas-State-womens-basketball-Emma-Chapman-has-given-Jeff-Mitties-staff-a-verbal-commitment-119107695/
BaylorRocks
Baylor women's basketball is no longer a desired short list school for top recruited players like it has been for several years now, until CNC wins big with hidden talent. Just like CKM did when she arrived to get the momentum going. Lady Bears BB will bottom out before it reaches an Elite 8 again. That's the way it goes when you have a major change like this. Start to accept this now, and you won't be crushed or too upset at CNC when it happens.

Sic'em
Eagle11Bear
The facts are that there are no Blue Blood womens programs with possible exception of UCONN. That will be tested when Geno retires. Tennessee following Summitt didn't work out. ND following McGraw didn't work out. BU not looking good following Mulkey departure. Stanford will be tested when their coach retires. It's all very coach driven, the program is the coach, not the university. Certainly the university can help via resource commitments, etc but it's still more on the coach.
Bexar Pitts
Eagle11Bear said:

The facts are that there are no Blue Blood womens programs with possible exception of UCONN. That will be tested when Geno retires. Tennessee following Summitt didn't work out. ND following McGraw didn't work out. BU not looking good following Mulkey departure. Stanford will be tested when their coach retires. It's all very coach driven, the program is the coach, not the university. Certainly the university can help via resource commitments, etc but it's still more on the coach.
Good post.
BUatbirth
zunooreo said:

Baylor women's basketball is no longer a desired short list school for top recruited players like it has been for several years now, until CNC wins big with hidden talent. Just like CKM did when she arrived to get the momentum going. Lady Bears BB will bottom out before it reaches an Elite 8 again. That's the way it goes when you have a major change like this. Start to accept this now, and you won't be crushed or too upset at CNC when it happens.

Sic'em
True, gonna be the "show me what you got" for CNC..or any new coach ftm. But I've been thinking (a scary thought). Our last three recruiting classes have been up and down...at best. We just haven't been tearing up the recruiting trail of late. I gotta believe that there have been top recruits that simply haven't wanted to play for KM. Don't like her style of play, style of coaching, maybe her in general...the players/recruits talk. I hope CNK can attract new fresh attention to a top program...we shall see.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BUatbirth said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em
True, gonna be the "show me what you got" for CNC..or any new coach ftm. But I've been thinking (a scary thought). Our last three recruiting classes have been up and down...at best. We just haven't been tearing up the recruiting trail of late. I gotta believe that there have been top recruits that simply haven't wanted to play for KM. Don't like her style of play, style of coaching, maybe her in general...the players/recruits talk. I hope CNK can attract new fresh attention to a top program...we shall see.
2021 and 2022 were non-existent

2023 had Wagner and likely Cox.

Some had questions on the offensive style and didn't want to play for her. Others had questions on other issues. It has been a little eye opening to hear things from those outside and some are just haters, while others have skin in the game.
LitigiOSO
Brian Ethridge said:

BUatbirth said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em

Some had questions on the offensive style and didn't want to play for her. Others had questions on other issues. It has been a little eye opening to hear things from those outside and some are just haters, while others have skin in the game.
"Some had questions on the offensive style and didn't want to play for her." Her being CKM? Or are you referring to CNC and why some have left or decided not to come (Dauda)?
LitigiOSO
B.A. '92, J.D. '95
blackie
LitigiOSO said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BUatbirth said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em

"Some had questions on the offensive style and didn't want to play for her." Her being CKM? Or are you referring to CNC and why some have left or decided not to come (Dauda)?
I think he is referring to CKM. We have heard reports in the past of top offensive players not interested in coming because of the style or her personality. That is not news. Concerning Dauda, some have reported here that she was having second thoughts before Mulkey left. Mulkey leaving just gave her an out to not have to come to a place she was deciding she really didn't want.
baylor1984
Brian Ethridge said:

BUatbirth said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em

Besides " style of play" where the issues more of a Kim issue or a Baylor issue or both ?
Eball
who knows on the recruiting angles I think Kim had a plan and they worked the plan some years they signed big and some years they did not...she never seemed to like having a full roster 10-11 seemed to be her preferred number. The transfer portal changed things as did the graduate transfer rule...If she had stayed with the pickup from Alabama and the loss of JO...maybe one other person, and the signing of Dauda we were good to go for next year...the strength of recruiting classes were mentioned often as to why low numbers...but we had recruits lined up like dominoes to fall and with the extra year that was going to make it difficult to handle juggle rosters.

The notion that Kim or BU had some intrinsic difficulties recruiting is just silly especially if you look at the quality of recruits who did sign and come play as well as kids who could have transferred almost anywhere coming to BU...I always got the impression there were many good players who wanted to come to BU who just did not get an offer because we had multiple better options.
baylor1984
Eball said:

who knows on the recruiting angles I think Kim had a plan and they worked the plan some years they signed big and some years they did not...she never seemed to like having a full roster 10-11 seemed to be her preferred number. The transfer portal changed things as did the graduate transfer rule...If she had stayed with the pickup from Alabama and the loss of JO...maybe one other person, and the signing of Dauda we were good to go for next year...the strength of recruiting classes were mentioned often as to why low numbers...but we had recruits lined up like dominoes to fall and with the extra year that was going to make it difficult to handle juggle rosters.

The notion that Kim or BU had some intrinsic difficulties recruiting is just silly especially if you look at the quality of recruits who did sign and come play as well as kids who could have transferred almost anywhere coming to BU...I always got the impression there were many good players who wanted to come to BU who just did not get an offer because we had multiple better options.
The recruiting was still at a very high level. The 20 recruits ( both of them) were top 10 ranked and the 21 recruit was a top 15 recruit as well as a top post recruit. 22 recruiting was going to be interesting but Baylor was poised to hit big with the 23 class which probably was going to be the top class in the nation and hopefully will be for Nicki as well.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
LitigiOSO said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BUatbirth said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em

Kim
Lynnp550
Don't think either Carr is staying at Baylor...
slimecap
19 May 2021

NIA STAPLES 5-8 GR guard Cincinnati OH
.. Entered name into transfer portal as grad transfer from Penn State
.. Grad-transferred from West Virginia to Penn State 2 years ago

Not an evaluation ... just transfer portal information

Link that includes information about injuries
https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/women_basketball/penn-state-women-s-basketball-honors-nia-staples-with-win-over-ohio-state/article_b14ca2ec-7704-11eb-ad92-f7b843a627d1.html#:~:text=Staples%20transferred%20to%20Penn%20State,Rehab%20and%20Mental%20Health%20Counseling
Born_A_Bear
Brian Ethridge said:

BUatbirth said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em

"to hear", directly or rumor mill?
"Question on other issues", question to Baylor or to whom?
slimecap

Have received several texts inquiring about
Tara Dusharm 6-5 GRAD Center Foley MN

2019 June Grad-transferred from St Louis Univ to Pepperdine
2021 Entered transfer portal from Pepperdine
She has injuries in her history

slimecap
Brian Ethridge said:

Here are some players to watch in the portal:

Angelee Rodriguez, 6-2 F, FR, USF

2021 Stats: 1.1 points, 1.3 rebounds
UPDATE

George Mason University has announced the signing of
University of South Florida transfer Angelee Rodriguez to the 2021-22 roster.

Rodriguez comes to Mason with a plethora of international experience as a member of the Puerto Rico National Team.

Excerpt from
https://gomason.com/news/2021/5/13/womens-basketball-patriots-add-usf-transfer-angelee-rodriguez.aspx
slimecap
TIMELINE

June 1 Full Summer Session classes begin at BU
June 3 Last day to register for Summer Session 1 at BU
July 1 Last day to enter transfer portal
BaylorRocks
slimecap said:

TIMELINE

June 1 Full Summer Session classes begin at BU
June 3 Last day to register for Summer Session 1 at BU
July 1 Last day to enter transfer portal
August 1 AD Mack Rhoades announces women's basketball assistant coaching hires are imminent
FIFY
fredbear
I don't usually agree much with zun, but things have been painfully quiet. No new coaches, No new players. NC is a worker, so I trust she is quietly laying foundations.
slimecap

Eball
I am not sure time is our friend
drahthaar
Eball said:

I am not sure time is our friend
/s/ Mark Emmert and the NCAA
Bear2019
slimecap said:

We probably need to get used to it. The silence from lack of interest is about to become deafening. Worse than "Desperate Housewives: Season 8" type quiet. You know, that moment that comes right before nobody cares.
fredbear
Caddy. U live in a very make believe pessimistic world. Bu is committed to wbb and has the budget, facilities, and history to make it happen. Give NC three years not three weeks silly fellow.
fredbear
But I'd it makes you feel like a big person to belittle a new coach who hasn't played her first game, go ahead and enjoy ur land of belittlement.
slimecap

2022 Darianna Littlepage-Buggs Wing Classen HS Oklahoma City OK

Littlepage-Buggs has continued to improve year after year. As a younger player, her motor and defensive prowess made her stand out; she constantly attacked the glass on both ends of the floor and scored second-chance points.

She has now added the offensive skill to take her to the next level. Her pull-up is almost impossible to defend and she is knocking down 3-point shots at a higher clip. With her length, 6-foot-1 frame and ability to elevate, combined with the fundamental offensive skill additions, watch for her to be a major stock riser this summer.

After averaging 18.1 points, 11 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game, her recruitment is wide open. Among the schools pursuing her include Baylor, Texas, Louisville, Tennessee, Georgia and Texas A&M, among many others from power conferences. - Shane Laflin, ESPN, 28 Apr 2021

**************************************************************************************
Coach Messer listed on tweet below
slimecap
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.