New Offers

63,235 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by blackie
Meladee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorBearWBBFan
2025 twins from New Jersey:
PartyBear
Are these the same level of players we have been offering over the past 15 or so years?
slimecap

January 26, 2021
BUatbirth
PartyBear said:

Are these the same level of players we have been offering over the past 15 or so years?
Appears so. Regardless, I'm happy to see CNC and staff at work. This is 247sports on Chloe Clardy....

AAU EYBL CyFair organization owner/director Earl Allen has had his fair share of talented players over the years, with many being USA Basketball team members and McDonald's All-American game participants. Class of 2023 5-foot-9 combo guard Chloe Clardy, currently ranked 8th in the nation by HoopGurlz, is a member of his program who he believes fits into that group.

"I have had some like her, (No. 2 ranked in the class of 2018) Charli Collier, (No. 8 ranked in the class of 2018) Sedona Prince, (No. 1 ranked in the class of 2018) Christyn Williams, (2 WNBA All-Defensive Second Team ) Ariel Atkins, (WNBA player) Brooke McCarty, (6 x WNBA All-Star) Nneka Ogwumike, (2 x WNBA All-Star) Chiney Ogwumike." said Allen "Chloe (who plays high school ball with Conway [AR] High School) is a young kid with so much upside it is ridiculous. She is so skilled. She works on her skill set but she has natural God-given ability. Like Michael Jordan said, you take that natural gift and couple it with hard work, then you are destined for greatness."
Adriacus Peratuun
PartyBear said:

From a recruiting ranking perspective, yes on Clardy. A year away from seeing 2025 rankings.

Clardy is consistently ranked [various services] National Top 25. See attached showing players offered by Baylor by former and current staff. Note: Maddie Cox dropped from that ranking but also offered.

Most classes have no more than 1-2 "super elite" players. As an aside, 2022 and 2023 are considered to be "loaded" classes deep with talent.
DFW Bill
One reason Maddie Cox dropped from the Top 25 is she played Volleyball for Flower Mound and the team went into a deep playoff run, only played 8 or 9 basketball games this season. She is like Lauren in that she was outstanding in Volleyball as a Sophomore. Maddie will go to Baylor or LSU, but if it is somewhere else, it will be with Sammie Wagner, they are bonded at the waist.
MrGolfguy
PartyBear said:

Not sure but the twins from NJ just finished 8th grade, seems like it will be a few years to actually know what kind of players they are.
Dcheetah
Mia and Mya both have multiple power 5 offers and some high levels and have been top scorers in their AAU action. I am pretty sure they are considered national recruits.
Lynnp550
Absoltely. https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Chloe-Clardy-basketball-Conway-High-School-AAU-CyFair-Mississippi-State-150329623/

The twins may be too far in the future to be legitimately ranked yet.

Lynnp550
Doesn't this news make us all feel better already?!!!
Bear2019
Lynnp550 said:

Doesn't this news make us all feel better already?!!!

I know people are looking for any reason they can find to feel better about this program. We just took a shot to the gut. That said, resort to relying on history to support and validate your feelings. And history or no history, offers mean nothing. Anybody can offer a kid. Verbal commitments are almost as worthless. I have been following this process for too many years, only to see a kid jump off our wagon after thinking they were rock solid green and gold. They're kids. Commitment means nothing to this generation. And now with the transfer portal, a kid can sign a LOI, suit up for you for 12 months and still bolt on your program. If you want to "feel good" about your program, you only have one solution. Go look in the trophy case. Hardware is the only honest way to get you feelings juiced. Conference and National Championships are your only drug.
fredbear
Evaluating talent and making solid offers is part of NC's job. Glad to see she is off to a good start. And yes, I feel better.
TxRainMkr
We only have two coaches, but it's good we are out there recruiting. Too bad Herb Reynolds isn't still around. He loved recruiting twins to Baylor.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
TxRainMkr said:

We only have two coaches, but it's good we are out there recruiting. Too bad Herb Reynolds isn't still around. He loved recruiting twins to Baylor.
Sloan doubled him up
Dcheetah
From looking at twitter, guessing we will be busy in Florida and the Southeast. Be interesting to see how accurate this is.
sicem45
Nicki is going to bring in big time talent. Excited to watch.
ABC BEAR
DFW Bill said:

One reason Maddie Cox dropped from the Top 25 is she played Volleyball for Flower Mound and the team went into a deep playoff run, only played 8 or 9 basketball games this season. She is like Lauren in that she was outstanding in Volleyball as a Sophomore. Maddie will go to Baylor or LSU, but if it is somewhere else, it will be with Sammie Wagner, they are bonded at the waist.
Thanks for the update, Bill. Hopefully this staff can concentrate on recruiting legacy players from the state of Texas in the short term. The initial reaction to our new coach was totally underwhelming.
BUatbirth
"The initial reaction to our new coach was totally underwhelming."

Sarcasm or a serious statement?
Dcheetah
Opinion
ABC BEAR
BUatbirth said:

Soon after CNC was announced we lost a LOI signee and a verbal pledge from a HS sophomore while nobody new jumped on-board. To me, that's underwhelming.
DFW Bill
Hard to argue with the facts.
Adriacus Peratuun
DFW Bill said:

Honestly, the recruiting services rarely watch HS games due to the weak level of competition. 99% of rankings is based upon AAU Spring/Summer ball [where the top players face one another]. Missing any portion of AAU ball normally results in a rankings drop [hence the big drop for Sa'Myah Smith as she rehabbed her knee].

By hitting a dozen events across a handful of states, the services are able to see 98+% of the top players facing quality competition.
DFW Bill
There were restrictions on attendance on a lot of High School events and also the various elite activities due to COVID 19 health concerns.

AP, you have become our self appointed resident expert, so I have no wish to get into a urination contest.

I have seen Maddie in person about 8 times in the last two years, much better to arrive at an analysis from personal observation than watching video's made by family, coaches and friends. They never miss a shot, no turnovers and not much shown on the defensive end. Their coaches will not always provide an unbiased opinion.

I think Maddie would be an important addition to most highly ranked Power 5 teams.

I have made many mistakes in my life, how about you?
BUatbirth
ABC BEAR said:

BUatbirth said:

Soon after CNC was announced we lost a LOI signee and a verbal pledge from a HS sophomore while nobody new jumped on-board. To me, that's underwhelming.
Ok, that's true. However, I'll temper those facts with this fact...the core of our players have stayed. Many were predicting a mass desertion and that didn't happen either. Maybe cutting hairs, but I'd say partially underwhelming versus totally. Also to your point, consider this, IMO...this has had more to to with CKM leaving than anything about CNC. I was actually pleasantly surprised that our Alabama transfer remained committed to BU after meeting CNC. Admittedly, I'm a glass half full type.
ABC BEAR
BUatbirth said:

ABC BEAR said:

BUatbirth said:

Ok, that's true. However, I'll temper those facts with this fact...the core of our players have stayed. Many were predicting a mass desertion and that didn't happen either. Maybe cutting hairs, but I'd say partially underwhelming versus totally. Also to your point, consider this, IMO...this has had more to to with CKM leaving than anything about CNC. I was actually pleasantly surprised that our Alabama transfer remained committed to BU after meeting CNC. Admittedly, I'm a glass half full type.
Fair enough, BUatbirth. Your point is a good one.
TxRainMkr
It's going to be hard to keep Maddie away from LSU, if they want her. Cox' Dad wore a "Kim Mulkey Is My Homegirl" shirt to about every away game Lauren's senior year.
blueeyedbear
TxRainMkr said:

It's going to be hard to keep Maddie away from LSU, if they want her. Cox' Dad wore a "Kim Mulkey Is My Homegirl" shirt to about every away game Lauren's senior year.
I guess you missed Lauren Cox's welcoming video for CNC introduction at the Ferrell Center
MrGolfguy
TxRainMkr said:

Cox' Dad wore a "Kim Mulkey Is My Homegirl" shirt to about every away game Lauren's senior year.
They've already made those shirts in purple for all the new LSU womens bball fans
setshot
Mulkey's sudden departure was a surprise for everyone, probably for Mulkey, as well, since LSU had, at least in the formal sense, a coach in place there despite rumors that she would be replaced. Had Mulkey not phoned in, the probability is that LSU would not have had her high on the list of coaches both desirable and accessible. I was among those who thought that she would be at Baylor until she retired, as there were many reasons for that and not too many that seemed too promising otherwise. If that was indeed what Kim Mulkey wanted, then I am glad for her.

My skeptical reaction to those who suspected that she might be attracted to the LSU position reminded me of the Union General John Sedgwick, who said to his troops, "I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Shortly thereafter a Confederate bullet struck his skill and killed him.
Not to be too dramatic about this, but Mulkey's decision made my reassurances to my fellow posters look similarly foolish, and I don't hesitate to confess it as such.

Meantime, our former coach left the Lady Bear program in fine shape for next year and in terrible shape for the year or two following, overloaded with senior personnel and woefully thin below that. Her departure immediately brought defections, as every event of that kind now does as a result of the loosening of transfer rules. It is rare that early commits stay with their commitment when the coaches who recruit them leave, but sometimes they come back to the commitment when they are recruited by the new staff. I think that both Wagner and Cox may do that, but if they choose otherwise, while regrettable, it is well within the bounds of normal practice in today's recruitment. It is a wait and see situation with both, but I think that Baylor has a good chance there.

What we must not do is rush to fill spots on the roster with prospects and projects who are not promising in terms of quality. Some are needed, but Mulkey had three years to fill the pipeline following the departure of Grayson and DeCosta, and the graduation of several others and Andrews is the only high school commitment on the roster to show for it. Owens was highly recruited and her transfer was thought to be advantageous, but she rarely played last year so we don't know how she fits. The other transfers are one year rentals, useful but of no long term significance.

In short, Collen has her work cut out for her. The condition of the program as currently constituted appears to be healthier than it in fact is...we have a one year reprieve before the recruiting results of the past three years becomes a problem of severe proportions. The new staff will have minutes on the floor to dangle in front of portal transfers and high school prospects and that is a two edged sword.

Abraham Lincoln once said that "We must not promise what we ought not, lest we be called on to perform what we cannot." The same thing can be said about what we do on this board, where over hoping leads to over hyping, and vice versa. Collen may or may not justify our hopes for her, but she deserves more patience than our short recollections of the past two decades dictate for her. Mulkey was both very good and very lucky, as all the great coaches must be, and while luck may be the residue of preparation, the fact that a gangly 6'8" sophomore came to a Baylor summer camp and committed two years ahead of time is unlikely to be replicated, either for Collen, or for that matter, Mulkey. That commitment formed the foundation for Baylor dominance for over a decade.
Bear2019
setshot said:

Mulkey's sudden departure was a surprise for everyone, probably for Mulkey, as well, since LSU had, at least in the formal sense, a coach in place there despite rumors that she would be replaced. Had Mulkey not phoned in, the probability is that LSU would not have had her high on the list of coaches both desirable and accessible. I was among those who thought that she would be at Baylor until she retired, as there were many reasons for that and not too many that seemed too promising otherwise. If that was indeed what Kim Mulkey wanted, then I am glad for her.

My skeptical reaction to those who suspected that she might be attracted to the LSU position reminded me of the Union General John Sedgwick, who said to his troops, "I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Shortly thereafter a Confederate bullet struck his skill and killed him.
Not to be too dramatic about this, but Mulkey's decision made my reassurances to my fellow posters look similarly foolish, and I don't hesitate to confess it as such.

Meantime, our former coach left the Lady Bear program in fine shape for next year and in terrible shape for the year or two following, overloaded with senior personnel and woefully thin below that. Her departure immediately brought defections, as every event of that kind now does as a result of the loosening of transfer rules. It is rare that early commits stay with their commitment when the coaches who recruit them leave, but sometimes they come back to the commitment when they are recruited by the new staff. I think that both Wagner and Cox may do that, but if they choose otherwise, while regrettable, it is well within the bounds of normal practice in today's recruitment. It is a wait and see situation with both, but I think that Baylor has a good chance there.

What we must not do is rush to fill spots on the roster with prospects and projects who are not promising in terms of quality. Some are needed, but Mulkey had three years to fill the pipeline following the departure of Grayson and DeCosta, and the graduation of several others and Andrews is the only high school commitment on the roster to show for it. Owens was highly recruited and her transfer was thought to be advantageous, but she rarely played last year so we don't know how she fits. The other transfers are one year rentals, useful but of no long term significance.

In short, Collen has her work cut out for her. The condition of the program as currently constituted appears to be healthier than it in fact is...we have a one year reprieve before the recruiting results of the past three years becomes a problem of severe proportions. The new staff will have minutes on the floor to dangle in front of portal transfers and high school prospects and that is a two edged sword.

Abraham Lincoln once said that "We must not promise what we ought not, lest we be called on to perform what we cannot." The same thing can be said about what we do on this board, where over hoping leads to over hyping, and vice versa. Collen may or may not justify our hopes for her, but she deserves more patience than our short recollections of the past two decades dictate for her. Mulkey was both very good and very lucky, as all the great coaches must be, and while luck may be the residue of preparation, the fact that a gangly 6'8" sophomore came to a Baylor summer camp and committed two years ahead of time is unlikely to be replicated, either for Collen, or for that matter, Mulkey. That commitment formed the foundation for Baylor dominance for over a decade.
It was no secret as early as the first week in April that Mark Davis was interested in Nikki Fargas for President of the Las Vegas Aces. He already knew she wanted out of college basketball. The grind of recruiting was getting old and not her thing. She was never going to turn LSU WBB around and she and everyone else knew it. Nikki and her husband Justin Fargas are friends of Mark's. He already knew where Nikki's mind was. Justin was drafted by Davis via the Oakland Raiders in 2003. Davis flew into Baton Rouge on April 12th. He and Nikki were seen discussing it over lunch at the Baton Rouge "PF Changs." LSU liked Nikki. Class act. So they let her process with Davis play out and she bowed out gracefully. The ball from boosters was already rolling as they got wind of it early on and immediately applied pressure to AD staff to seek Mulkey out as a possibility. Kim never contacted LSU. Woodward's people planted the seed with Kim. Kim listened and now we are here.
setshot
Thanks, Caddy...;.good information,
One report I had read earlier had Kim calling the AD, so this seems to be a different version. It was thought that Kim was in the (nearly) untouchable category, so that, too, was proven to be an untenable assumption. Some confusion may still exist about the nature of her discussion with the Baylor AD and afterward, the university president, but if she had already talked with LSU authorities and listened with a sympathetic ear, that puts the discussions with Baylor people in a little different light, at least in my view.
ABC BEAR
Nothing about Kim going to LSU made any logical sense and Kim is a highly logical person.....so, the whole affair causes me to scratch my chin whiskers and say hmmmm.
baylorbear33
ABC BEAR said:

Nothing about Kim going to LSU made any logical sense and Kim is a highly logical person.....so, the whole affair causes me to scratch my chin whiskers and say hmmmm.
Exactly - something transpired to start that train rolling, and THAT is what I want to know...
Bearprof
It makes sense that LSU contacted Kim first, and it also makes sense that Kim left on her own accord and could have stayed at BU if she wished to do so. Unless her salary was going to be cut or her staff reduced, etc., there's no reason for her to have left. Don't give me the line that Mack or Livingstone were mean to her...please. She had worn out her welcome despite all that she had done, and she needed a change. Turn the page.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.