Baylor Women's Basketball

Melissa Jones: I am so thrilled for Nicki Collen and Baylor

June 21, 2021

Former Lady Bears guard Melissa Jones discusses her time at Baylor and gives her thoughts on new Lady Bears head coach Nicki Collen.

Discussion from...

Melissa Jones: I am so thrilled for Nicki Collen and Baylor

4,795 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bone Squad
SSadler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a darlin'

I've told this story before, so forgive me if it's redundant to some of you, but with this interview it's timely.

It was not unusual for student athletes to come thru my classes since their advisors liked working with one professor instead of several when it came to travel schedules and makeup work/exams. The Spring of the devastating lost to TAM it so happened that all of the starters and a few of the subs were in one of my morning sections.

The day after the TAM loss, it was obvious that the ladies were not only wanting to sleep in but also completely bummed. And to a player they WERE absent---except for Melissa. Exhausted, bummed, bloodshot, tearshot eyes, nevertheless there she was at 9 am. And eyes open and engaging the class material rather than slumped in her chair asleep.

No reason to be surprised, but if one needed evidence of responsibility, character, and doing the right thing--her being in class checked all the boxes.
fredbear
My all-time favorite player.
BUletters
Amazing how similar Jessika Stratton and Melissa Jones were as Lady Bears, as players, team leaders and personalities, and both from Colorado.
Coach Kim encouraged players to be friendly to fans but some of course were too shy or would give a quick verbal brush-off. Not Melissa. She was always polite, accessible, and genuine. What a gift she was to Baylor.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BUletters said:

Amazing how similar Jessika Stratton and Melissa Jones were as Lady Bears, as players, team leaders and personalities, and both from Colorado.
Coach Kim encouraged players to be friendly to fans but some of course were too shy or would give a quick verbal brush-off. Not Melissa. She was always polite, accessible, and genuine. What a gift she is to Baylor.

FIFY
blueeyedbear
TOP SHELF - IN EVERY WAY
Bone Squad
There was a lot of talk about how the men's team this year had some DOGS.

That's what Melissa was on the court, a DOG! It would have been amazing to see her and Kristy Wallace on the court together.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.