Baseball
Sponsored by

Houston Astros thread

430,033 Views | 3817 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bear8084
AustinCory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure what happened to the last Houston Astros thread I started months ago, but just in case some want to talk Stros, here is another one.
GoldMind
The sound of bomb after bomb, and win after win has left the masses dumbfounded. It's like watching an Abrams tank run over a pile of Barbie dolls. There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that them Stros are going to, and winning the World Series.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
AustinCory
Astros record -- 68-36, 58 games remaining
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magic Number to clinch AL West/Playoff Spot -- 42 (over Mariners)
Magic Number to clinch homefield in ALDS -- 48 (over Yankees)
Magic Number to clinch homefield throughout AL Playoffs -- 49 (over Indians)
Magic Number to clinch homefield throughout the Playoffs -- 64 (over Dodgers)
GoldMind
I was appalled to see that 5 of the 6 best records in the league were NL teams.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
AustinCory
GoldMind said:

I was appalled to see that 5 of the 6 best records in the league were NL teams.
It's because they get to play the 8-9 crappy teams in the NL so often.
AustinCory
Astros record -- 69-36, 57 games remaining
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magic Number to clinch AL West/Playoff Spot -- 41 (over Mariners)
Magic Number to clinch homefield in ALDS -- 47 (over Yankees OR Indians)
Magic Number to clinch homefield throughout AL Playoffs -- 47 (over Yankees AND Indians)
Magic Number to clinch homefield throughout the Playoffs -- 63 (over Dodgers)
GoldMind
LIRIANO??? WHAT IN THE HELL IS THIS MESS?

Here we go again, doing just like Drayton, stick a bandaid on it and keep going.
Bear8084
GoldMind said:

Here we go again, doing just like Drayton, stick a bandaid on it and keep going.
Well to be fair Drayton did sell off most of our farm for high-paid, small return players that wrecked us for almost a decade. However, we did need another starting pitcher and not taking at least one high-profile trade is baffling. Go 'Stros!!!
AustinCory
Bear8084 said:

GoldMind said:

Well to be fair Drayton did sell off most of our farm for high-paid, small return players that wrecked us for almost a decade. However, we did need another starting pitcher and not taking at least one high-profile trade is baffling. Go 'Stros!!!
Yep. You could say Drayton is a prime example of why you shouldn't make trades just to appease the media into thinking you are trying.
GoldMind
ValpoCory said:

Bear8084 said:

GoldMind said:

Yep. You could say Drayton is a prime example of why you shouldn't make trades just to appease the media into thinking you are trying.
You should have given the As Fisher/ Martes for Gray. Or any number of our minor league prospects, thats what theyre for.

Win now. Get a trophy. Id love to see the Astros go all-in to get a WS championship instead of jackin with the Lirianos of the world.
JumboShrimper
Thanks for making this thread. The one on baylor fans wasn't gonna last.
AustinCory
GoldMind said:

ValpoCory said:

Bear8084 said:

GoldMind said:

You should have given the As Fisher/ Martes for Gray. Or any number of our minor league prospects, thats what theyre for.

Win now. Get a trophy. Id love to see the Astros go all-in to get a WS championship instead of jackin with the Lirianos of the world.

I bet the A's required Kyle Tucker plus others since the Astros are an intradivision opponent.
Poolman
Anyone going to Baylor day @ Astros tomorrow?
Wife wants to take the kiddo, but didn't get tix in time thru Baylor ticket office.
Wondering what section they'll have us in?
GoldMind
Poolman said:

Anyone going to Baylor day @ Astros tomorrow?
Wife wants to take the kiddo, but didn't get tix in time thru Baylor ticket office.
Wondering what section they'll have us in?
$88/person which includes food. Section 107.

Im going to try to come sit there, but thats kinda steep pricing.
Oldbear83
Astros have been shut out twice in the past week. If they don't show up, why should I?

I love them, but yeeech.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

Astros have been shut out twice in the past week. If they don't show up, why should I?

I love them, but yeeech.
This right here is why I bash Houston fans constantly. Worst fans in Texas.

"Oh fk, my team lost a game, guess there's no reason to acknowledge their existence any more"
Poolman
Thanks brother.
Not sure the wife and kid are worth section 107.
AustinCory
Bear8084
ValpoCory said:

Ironically, the Wife and I are taking a mini-vacation to Waco during this.
AustinCory
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

I love them, but yeeech.

"Oh fk, my team lost a game, guess there's no reason to acknowledge their existence any more"
Throttle back a little bit. Every fan base has lamenting fans.

You could just have easily reacted to my story that last week my wife and I had 3 days without our kids to travel anywhere, and we chose Philadelphia to see the Astros play 2 road games, and declared that "This right here is why I praise Houston fans constantly. Best fans in Texas. "

Either reaction would have been overboard.
GoldMind
ValpoCory said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

I love them, but yeeech.

Ease up. Every fan base has lamenting fans.

You could just have easily reacted to my story that last week my wife and I has 3 days without our kids to travel anywhere, and we chose Philadelphia to see the Astros play two road games, and declared that "This right here is why I praise Houston fans constantly. Best fans in Texas. "

Hold up.

This has been a prevailing theme for Houston teams since 1995. Years of heartbreak coupled with low expectations have crippled fandom in Houston for years. Astros are on pace to shatter their franchise record and we get comments like the above still. I've lived all over the state and this kind of glass half empty mentality is found nowhere else. And that's Texans, Rockets and Astros.

Im trying to change the narrative.
sahen
Here is some positivity from a lifelong Houston fan. This Astros group will win at least 1 World Series in the next 3 years. That said it sure would have been nice to get some more pieces to make that year this year. Luckily there is plenty of time left to heal up and get back in their groove before October.
GoldMind
sahen said:

Here is some positivity from a lifelong Houston fan. This Astros group will win at least 1 World Series in the next 3 years. That said it sure would have been nice to get some more pieces to make that year this year. Luckily there is plenty of time left to heal up and get back in their groove before October.

That's what the **** I'm talking about. Get happy. This team will take us to ASTROnomical heights!! Get your asses to the Box and watch some games!! Enjoy it!!
AustinCory
GoldMind said:

I've lived all over the state and this kind of glass half empty mentality is found nowhere else. And that's Texans, Rockets and Astros.

You are just not looking for it elsewhere.

The name of the Rangers thread on BF is called " A season of tears and Despair". That called it that when the Rangers were 1 game out of the playoffs. Even now they are just 4.5 out and the sicem365 thread is matter of factory just playing out the string. Talk about glass half empty.

But guess what ... I know marco and Oldbear83, and I know they are great fans that are just expressing temporary frustration. So I won't make broad generalizations about a fan base based off it.
Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

ValpoCory said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

I love them, but yeeech.

You could just have easily reacted to my story that last week my wife and I has 3 days without our kids to travel anywhere, and we chose Philadelphia to see the Astros play two road games, and declared that "This right here is why I praise Houston fans constantly. Best fans in Texas. "

Are you? Or are you just trying to shut down anyone with valid concerns?
GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

ValpoCory said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

I love them, but yeeech.

Invalid concerns, mostly. This is the best team the city has ever seen, and still they b itch.
Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

ValpoCory said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

I love them, but yeeech.

Invalid concerns, mostly. This is the best team the city has ever seen, and still they b itch.
Get back to me when we win a World Series game. Until then, the 2005 team was our best, and that team had issues, too.

Or are you one of those people who puts a sticker over the 'check engine' light when it comes on?
GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

ValpoCory said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

I love them, but yeeech.

Get back to me when we win a World Series game. Until then, the 2005 team was our best, and that team had issues, too.

Or are you one of those people who puts a sticker over the 'check engine' light when it comes on?
No, that team was 89-73, this team in on pace to annihilate that. 15 games ahead of the nearest competition. 16.5 ahead at the all-star break.

I don't see any issues, other than piss poor attitudes from alleged "fans".
Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

ValpoCory said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

I love them, but yeeech.

No, that team was 89-73, this team in on pace to annihilate that. 15 games ahead of the nearest competition. 16.5 ahead at the all-star break.

OK then. So you have something in common with this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Saeed_al-Sahhaf

GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

ValpoCory said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

I love them, but yeeech.

Just keep the defeatist attitude to yourself, it wont do you much good here.
Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

ValpoCory said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

I love them, but yeeech.

The appropriate word for this concern is 'pragmatic'. "Defeatist" is over on the Rangers thread.
GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

ValpoCory said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

I love them, but yeeech.

The appropriate word for this concern is 'pragmatic'. "Defeatist" is over on the Rangers thread.

Quote:

I love them, but yeeech.

This doesn't scream pragmatism, but whatever,
Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

ValpoCory said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

I love them, but yeeech.

Quote:

I love them, but yeeech.

This doesn't scream pragmatism, but whatever,

Depends on how much you spend at Minute Maid Park.
AustinCory
Duplicate post. Mods: Feel free to delete. Thank you.
AustinCory
Duplicate post. Mods: Feel free to delete. Thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_Bears_football#Future_Non-Conference_Opponents
Last Page
Page 1 of 110

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.