Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Baseball

Baylor Baseball to Miss Big 12 Tournament for First Time in Program History

May 13, 2023

ARLINGTON, Texas – For the first time in program history, the Baylor baseball team will not be playing in the Big 12 Tournament.

Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
The 2023 Bears have broken a program record for most losses in a season with 34.

In Year One under Mitch Thompson, the Bears are 16-34 and have broken a program record for most losses in a single season.

“It’s extremely disappointing [to miss the Big 12 Tournament],” Thompson said after Saturday’s 2-1 loss to TCU. “I was here when the Big 12 started, and I know that this was the program that had [never missed]. It’s extremely disappointing.”

The 2023 team will have a worse record than Steve Smith’s last season (23-32) in 2015, a worse record than Steve Rodriguez’s first season (24-26) in 2016 and a worse record than Rodriguez's final season (26-28) in 2022.

To clinch the eighth and final seed in the Big 12 Tournament, Baylor (16-34, 6-17) needed to win at least two games against TCU (29-21, 10-10) and get some help from Texas Tech (35-17, 10-10) next weekend, who will be matched up at home against Kansas (23-28, 7-14).

However, the Bears dropped Friday and Saturday’s contests to the Horned Frogs to eliminate themselves from contention and allow the Jayhawks, who also have a first-year coaching staff, to clinch the final spot in the conference tournament.

As the season ends, there will still be plenty of coverage on where Thompson and his staff can go from here, plus articles reflecting on this season. Fill out this survey so that your voice can be heard.

Discussion from...

Baylor Baseball to Miss Big 12 Tournament for First Time in Program History

5,339 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by BellCountyBear
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is anyone really surprised?

I support the team and I know there's going to be improvement and growth, but if we're honest, we really suck right now, especially the last couple weeks.

Again, not dissing the team, but this is what the basement looks like. This is who we are right now.
BellCountyBear
Nowhere to go but up, so long as CMT doesn't drop dead of a heart attack.
Stefano DiMera
Not funny..or even has to do with anything.
Jorkel
I'm not surprised we weren't good this year and expected growing pains. I'm a little surprised at how dog **** we played all year long though. all three phases were pathetic. Pitching was the absolute worst, situational hitting bad, defense committing errors left and right. I expected to show signs of competitiveness every game. Not give up 10+ runs seems like every single time.
BellCountyBear
Stefano DiMera said:

Not funny..or even has to do with anything.
I wasn't being funny. He doesn't look healthy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.