Baseball
Sponsored by

Dan Heefner

1,879 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Bleed Green
Gobearsone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did we ever consider him for the coaching vacancy last year? Was he not interested? Has DBU ranked ahead of whorn and okie light.
Stefano DiMera
Yes..and yes...he wasn't interested.
Nguyen One Soon
He's got the proverbial bird nest on the ground at DBU.
parch
Not only was he not interested last summer, but he also flat turned down an actual job offer after Smitty was fired in 2015, when the program was in a much more stable place than it is now. He also removed his name from the Texas search to replace Augie the following year, so something tells me he is very firmly entrenched at DBU for the foreseeable future.
BaylorGuy314
I mean, he's making $500-600K/year which is definitely Top 20 in the country. Baseball is the biggest sport on campus. He's got a good thing going there and has a long runway- could probably do horribly for 4+ years before getting fired (not unlike how Smith had a long runway here).

SirBearALot
DBU lost to Washington ( a one good pitcher team) and OK St lost to ORU...DBU vs. OK St. In elimination game Saturday.
Bleed Green
Heefner runs that place, and I don't mean the baseball program, I mean the athletic program. He won't leave unless there is an administration change. Why would he go somewhere and play 3rd or 4th fiddle when he can be the entire show. He isn't even worth a phone call because the answer is no.
parch
Bleed Green said:

Why would he go somewhere and play 3rd or 4th fiddle when he can be the entire show.
A bigger challenge. More resources. A larger platform. A more competitive conference. If he wanted to run the show he'd be an AD. He's a baseball coach. He wants to run a baseball program.

More power to him if he's happy there - he has five kids rooted in the Metroplex since birth and is a man of deep religious conviction, so DBU fits the bill on both accounts. But there are also plenty of reasons why someone like Heefner would jump to a powerhouse if the opportunity arose, like what Alabama is sure to throw at him this offseason. Obviously timing hasn't been right yet, but wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't finish his career at DBU.
Stefano DiMera
Alabama hired the Maryland coach . I believe he was on our list last year. KState grad and player
Bleed Green
parch said:

Bleed Green said:

Why would he go somewhere and play 3rd or 4th fiddle when he can be the entire show.
A bigger challenge. More resources. A larger platform. A more competitive conference. If he wanted to run the show he'd be an AD. He's a baseball coach. He wants to run a baseball program.

More power to him if he's happy there - he has five kids rooted in the Metroplex since birth and is a man of deep religious conviction, so DBU fits the bill on both accounts. But there are also plenty of reasons why someone like Heefner would jump to a powerhouse if the opportunity arose, like what Alabama is sure to throw at him this offseason. Obviously timing hasn't been right yet, but wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't finish his career at DBU.

Believe what you want but timing has had nothing to do with the jobs he has turned down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.