Baseball
Sponsored By

Baylor perhpas got the worst draw in the tournament

1,262 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by kevinwood
kevinwood
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I know its not good to complain, but I just can't resist on this one. The top seed overall (UCLA) should get the lowest #2 seed, right? Or maybe I am wrong.

If true, how did a Baylor team that was ranked #17 before the last week get slotted as essentially the #32 team in the tournament, stuck with UCLA,

Oh, and their first game was against a #3 seed that had one of the top pitchers in the league, which of course they were going to have pitch for their first game (against Baylor).

I can't imagine a worse draw for this year.

A really solid team Baylor had and the selection looked downright unfair.

Anyone agree?
Bro
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oh, the humanity!
tpj1991
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not going to disagree with the seeding, we were the #2 team in the big 12 and for some reason had three teams in the conference host above us. I would also say though, every team in the postseason is going to throw their ace in game 1. The problem is we just had too many injuries and disappointments this season, the two biggest being kettler and Thomas.

Looking forward to seeing what Coach Rod does next year, we will have a completely different, very inexperienced team.
TrustTheProcess
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ring, ring...... Georgia is on the line. It's why you play the games. 6 runs against UCLA should have been enough.

Good season Bears
VideoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Look no further than RPI. We were #32 in the RPI. While we did well in conference, our non-conference was not the strongest and we lost games that hurt us. They were never going to have us host with an RPI That low and they slotted us in exactly where the RPI said we should be.
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
TrustTheProcess said:

Ring, ring...... Georgia is on the line. It's why you play the games. 6 runs against UCLA should have been enough.

Good season Bears
I disagree. 6 runs in the 3rd game of a weekend series is rarely enough.
bunation
How long do you want to ignore this user?
kevenwood said:


I know its not good to complain, but I just can't resist on this one. The top seed overall (UCLA) should get the lowest #2 seed, right? Or maybe I am wrong.

If true, how did a Baylor team that was ranked #17 before the last week get slotted as essentially the #32 team in the tournament, stuck with UCLA,

Oh, and their first game was against a #3 seed that had one of the top pitchers in the league, which of course they were going to have pitch for their first game (against Baylor).

I can't imagine a worse draw for this year.

A really solid team Baylor had and the selection looked downright unfair.

Anyone agree?


Yes.
bubbadog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Being put in a region with the top overall seed might have looked like a bad draw on paper. In practice, I'm not so sure. UCLA showed itself to be vulnerable. Going in, the Pac-12 looked extremely strong at the top with three 1 seeds and two 2 seeds. Now, Oregon State and both the 2 seeds are gone, and the remaining 1 seeds both have to win today to make it to the Super Regional. With Oregon State out, the winner between UCLA and LMU gets to play Michigan or Creighton. If it's Michigan (a 3 seed) and Baylor had made it out of this regional, we'd be hosting a Super Regional this weekend. The Bears had opportunities but unfortunately played in LA about the way they finished the regular season.
"Funk is whatever you need it to be at that time to save your life." -- George Clinton
kevinwood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hear you. However, many would say that the RPI is flawed as it does not take a lot of variables into consideration. It also seems to stray away from the other polls the most, where Baylor fares much better.
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The OP confuses a #17 ranking in the polls with our #32 RPI.

Starting with the road trip to Stillwater, we went 0-2 against OSU, which dropped our RPI from 21 to 28.

We then went 1-2 in the Big Tournament, which dropped our RPI from 27 (it climbed up a spot before the tournament started) to 32.

We did it to ourselves, and have no one else to blame.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
VideoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agreed, but the selection committee has always put a lot of stock in the RPI and evidently did again with us.
oso89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quit whining. 2 of the 3 conference teams that hosted ahead of us had a better record than Baylor and all 3 were Top 12 RPI compared to Baylor's #32. Both TTU and OSU were better teams than BU and WVU finished strong by going 13-2 only to lose in the Big 12 Championship game. Better "optics" coupled with much better RPI earned WVU a regional over Baylor. Had Baylor taken care of business by finishing strong, winning the conference and looking respectable in the tourney, we would have hosted.

Baylor and their fans need to lose the "victim mentality" and stop complaining about us always getting screwed and learn to be mentally tough in order to win the big games. We are 1-7 in Big 12 Championship games and 0-7 in opening games of regionals.

It's all a matter of perspective. With LMU beating UCLA, the stage was set for Baylor. Had we beaten UCLA, our pitching was deeper than LMU and our offense should have been able to take two vs LMU's #3 and #4 starters. Winning the #1 UCLA regional would have then set us up on the "easiest" path to Omaha - hosting the SuperRegional against the winner of the lowest seeded Corvallis regional. Nobody's complaining then...are they?
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
With the way we have played this last part of the season I'm not sure what regional would have been good. It does stink to be sent
Out to the overall #1 seed.
DanaDane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Standard Baylor. It's always the refs who cheat us. If not that, then it's the unfair seeding or scheduling. Doesn't matter what sport. Take some ownership for once. We basically fell flat on our face the final few weeks of the season after feasting earlier on the easier part of our schedule. It is what it is.
kevinwood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DanaDane said:

Standard Baylor. It's always the refs who cheat us. If not that, then it's the unfair seeding or scheduling. Doesn't matter what sport. Take some ownership for once. We basically fell flat on our face the final few weeks of the season after feasting earlier on the easier part of our schedule. It is what it is.
So, there's no such thing as a bad draw, or in this particular case, it wasn't a bad draw?
kevinwood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
kevenwood said:

DanaDane said:

Standard Baylor. It's always the refs who cheat us. If not that, then it's the unfair seeding or scheduling. Doesn't matter what sport. Take some ownership for once. We basically fell flat on our face the final few weeks of the season after feasting earlier on the easier part of our schedule. It is what it is.
So, there's no such thing as a bad draw, or in this particular case, it wasn't a bad draw?
"Always". . . "for once"

You live in a world of absolutes, I see
Page 1 of 1
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.