Rules for Gentlemen

1,634 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by redfish961
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have been reading lately on the definition of the 'gentleman', and found this bit from Mathias Holzfeller:

"Being a gentleman, the masculine hero of every male child born between 1660 and 1960, entails learning when to speak, when to listen, when to assert, and when to fight. A gentleman chooses his battles, wins often, and loses rarely, but never brags. He is the epitome of refined confidence. A gentleman knows when to discuss his issues with someone who will understand them, but never breaks down and lets them overwhelm him. In the back when times, this is what was known as "masculinity" or "manliness."

Today, much of this has been lost in young men and replaced with what many think is masculinity. There is a stiff upper lip and bravado, but both of them fall away and reveal an unconfident, soft core which results in unnecessary violence and harm against the friends and family of the man, traits that are inherently not manly, as masculinity entails the protection and care for the "tribe" at any and all costs, even the death of the man in question. To go back on this role and instead become dangerous to the "tribe" is the ultimate form of betrayal."

I quite like it.

I also like his thoughts on modern men:

"Modern men fight. They fight a lot. They:

[ol]
  • Do not have the same code of honor,
  • Pick fights over trivial things,
  • Pick the wrong time to start fights,
  • Brag when they win, but complain when they lose.
  • They refuse to concede when they have lost.
  • [/ol]All five of these are wrong.
    [ol]
  • You fight, you lose, you admit defeat. You fight, you win, you respect your foe. This is the code of gentlemanly, masculine honor. You never fight a fight that has already been won, and you never pick a target that you know has no chance. When the fight is over, that's that. You pack up and call it a day.
  • You never fight over anything that does not absolutely need to be fought over.
  • If something requires a fight, you only fight fairly, when both parties are facing one another like men. You never throw a swing at the back of a man's head.
  • You never brag about winning. You never complain about losing. You shake hands and respect one another.
  • You take a loss without allowing it to overwhelm you, and then you come back stronger."
  • [/ol]
    What do you think? What defines a gentleman?

Quotes from Quora.com
    That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
    FLBear5630
    Oldbear83 said:

I have been reading lately on the definition of the 'gentleman', and found this bit from Mathias Holzfeller:

"Being a gentleman, the masculine hero of every male child born between 1660 and 1960, entails learning when to speak, when to listen, when to assert, and when to fight. A gentleman chooses his battles, wins often, and loses rarely, but never brags. He is the epitome of refined confidence. A gentleman knows when to discuss his issues with someone who will understand them, but never breaks down and lets them overwhelm him. In the back when times, this is what was known as "masculinity" or "manliness."

Today, much of this has been lost in young men and replaced with what many think is masculinity. There is a stiff upper lip and bravado, but both of them fall away and reveal an unconfident, soft core which results in unnecessary violence and harm against the friends and family of the man, traits that are inherently not manly, as masculinity entails the protection and care for the "tribe" at any and all costs, even the death of the man in question. To go back on this role and instead become dangerous to the "tribe" is the ultimate form of betrayal."

I quite like it.

[ol]
    [ol]
  • You fight, you lose, you admit defeat. You fight, you win, you respect your foe. This is the code of gentlemanly, masculine honor. You never fight a fight that has already been won, and you never pick a target that you know has no chance. When the fight is over, that's that. You pack up and call it a day.
  • You never fight over anything that does not absolutely need to be fought over.
  • If something requires a fight, you only fight fairly, when both parties are facing one another like men. You never throw a swing at the back of a man's head.
  • You never brag about winning. You never complain about losing. You shake hands and respect one another.
  • You take a loss without allowing it to overwhelm you, and then you come back stronger."
  • [/ol]

Quotes from Quora.com

Great Post.
    Limited IQ Redneck in PU
    Good post sir. Thank you
    Oldbear83
    Now for the hard part; living up to that standard.

I have a way to go.
    Mitch Blood Green
    Oldbear83 said:

I have a way to go.

Who you fighting, 83?
    FLBear5630
    Oldbear83 said:

I have a way to go.
    I have to fight being petty and getting into a "cut down" wars over stupid stuff. Tough to do.
    Oldbear83
    tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

I have a way to go.

Who you fighting, 83?
    modern trends and old habits. Same as most of us, I believe.
    Oldbear83
    RMF5630 said:

Oldbear83 said:

I have a way to go.
    I have to fight being petty and getting into a "cut down" wars over stupid stuff. Tough to do.
    Yyyup, that it is.

I can easily resist liquor and gambling, but an internet brawl? Gotta work on that.
    Mitch Blood Green
    Oldbear83 said:

tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

I have a way to go.

Who you fighting, 83?

Not me. I met this post menopausal (who just transitioned) claiming she's having my baby.

I go to court April 6.
    Canon
    Reminds me of this.

If

BY RUDYARD KIPLING

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dreamand not make dreams your master;
    If you can thinkand not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kingsnor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    Andwhich is moreyou'll be a Man, my son!
    Oldbear83
    tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

I have a way to go.

Who you fighting, 83?

Not me. I met this post menopausal (who just transitioned) claiming she's having my baby.

I go to court April 6.
    Didn't someone warn you never to take a trip to New York in person?
    Limited IQ Redneck in PU

"The forbearing use of power does not only form a touchstone, but the manner in which an individual enjoys certain advantages over others is a test of a true gentleman. The power which the strong have over the weak, the employer over the employed, the educated over the unlettered, the experienced over the confiding, even the clever over the sillythe forbearing or inoffensive use of all this power or authority, or a total abstinence from it when the case admits it, will show the gentleman in a plain light. The gentleman does not needlessly remind an offender of a wrong he may have committed against him. He cannot only forgive, he can forget; and he strives for that nobleness of self and mildness of character which impart sufficient strength to let the past be but the past. A true man of honor feels humbled himself when he cannot help humbling others."

Robert E. Lee

My favorite
    I have found theres only two ways to go:
    Living fast or dying slow.
    I dont want to live forever.
    But I will live while I'm here.
    Wangchung
    You don't slap a man.
    Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
    ABC BEAR
    A gentleman is always fully clothed during Zoom meetings.
    Canon
    ABC BEAR said:

A gentleman is always fully clothed during Zoom meetings.

Don't impose your moralism on democrats!!!
    Guy Noir
    The True Gentleman by John Walter Wayland (Virginia, 1899)

"The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety,
    and whose self control is equal to all emergencies;
    who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity,
    or any man of his inferiority or deformity;
    who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another;
    who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements;
    who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy;
    whose deed follows his word;
    who thinks of the rights and feelings of others rather than his own;
    and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe."

Canada2017
    Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

"The forbearing use of power does not only form a touchstone, but the manner in which an individual enjoys certain advantages over others is a test of a true gentleman. The power which the strong have over the weak, the employer over the employed, the educated over the unlettered, the experienced over the confiding, even the clever over the sillythe forbearing or inoffensive use of all this power or authority, or a total abstinence from it when the case admits it, will show the gentleman in a plain light. The gentleman does not needlessly remind an offender of a wrong he may have committed against him. He cannot only forgive, he can forget; and he strives for that nobleness of self and mildness of character which impart sufficient strength to let the past be but the past. A true man of honor feels humbled himself when he cannot help humbling others."

Robert E. Lee

My favorite
    Somehow I doubt George Pickett thought Lee lived up to the contents of his own missile .
    Fre3dombear
    Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Robert E. Lee

My favorite

I dont believe we're allowed to quote that dude anymore and definitely if it would be perceived to be a competent, quote worthy quote

Thems the rules.
    MathiasHolzfeller
    Oldbear83 said:

I have a way to go.
    It is nice to see one of my more popular works reaching offsite as well.

Keep up the good work. Self-improvement is a long and difficult, but rewarding process.
    Forest Bueller
    Oldbear83 said:

I quite like it.

[ol]
    [ol]
  • [/ol]

Quotes from Quora.com

Where do they get the born in 1960 cutoff year. I can tell you 1962 was no different. Probably not much difference till the late 70's. or so.
    JXL
    George Washington's Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior

https://managers.usc.edu/files/2015/05/George-Washingtons-Rules.pdf
    Golem
    "So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none. When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." - Tecumseh
    Canada2017
    Golem said:

"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none. When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." - Tecumseh
    Beautiful
    redfish961
    Lots of great words on this thread.

It does make one think and have a bit of self reflection.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.