Gen. Mark Milley

14,080 Views | 175 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by muddybrazos
Redbrickbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked:
Quote:

The Army's recruiting of white soldiers has dropped significantly in the last half decade, according to internal data reviewed by Military.com, a decline that accounts for much of the service's historic recruitment slump that has become the subject of increasing concern for Army leadership and Capitol Hill.
… The rate at which white recruitment has fallen far outpaces nationwide demographic shifts, data experts and Army officials interviewed by Military.com noted. They don't see a single cause to the recruiting problem, but pointed to a confluence of issues for Army recruiting, including partisan scrutiny of the service, a growing obesity epidemic and an underfunded public education system.
Internally, some Army planners are alarmed over the data trends, but see it as a minefield to navigate given increasing partisan attacks against the military for its efforts to recruit and support a diverse force, according to interviews with several service officials.

Yes, of course: this result cannot possibly be because white potential recruits see that the military has adopted policies that actively or passively discriminate against them, because they are white, and decide that they have no interest in putting their lives on the line for a military that considers them to be second-class, owing to the color of their skin. No, the real problem, according to "some Army planners," are "partisans" who point this out...

Wherever you see "diversity, equity, and inclusion," you can know that you, as a white heterosexual, especially as a white heterosexual male, are going to be disfavored. And now the US Army has totally institutionalized this ideology.
Remember Kelisa Wing? She was the Army's chief DEI officer for education, until tweets she sent out just before she was hired in 2020 surfaced. Among the tweets, Wing wrote:

Quote:

I'm so exhausted at these white folx in these [professional development] sessions this lady actually had the CAUdacity to say black people can be racist too.

Wing was reassigned after Republicans in Congress made an issue of it. But this is the mentality that the Pentagon now institutionalizes.

Back in the summer of 2020 that is, the Summer Of Floyd I wrote this on my old TAC blog, featuring a letter from a reader who graduated from West Point. From the letter, the officer's characterization of efforts then underway, and proposed in this document, to radicalize West Point:

Quote:

Their actions are akin to those of the Red Guards in Maoist China. They are agitating to tear the Academy apart from the ground up and reorient its mission around Anti-Racism. The fact that our country's future leaders believe in this nonsense is a sign that our military is in trouble, and cannot be relied upon either to defend our country or to safeguard the interests of all Americans in the performance of their duties.

Congratulations, US military leadership, you've gotten what you wanted: a force with fewer white people in it to stink up the ranks with their whiteness.
I'm very pleased to see this result, actually. Let these diversocrats own this problem. They have taken the one institution in American public life that most everybody supported and saw as a vehicle for advancement and excellence for everyone, no matter their race, and turned it into a racial spoils system, like everywhere else. Why would any young white person seek to serve when he stands to face discrimination within the ranks? When he might be denied a promotion because he is not the correct race? When his commanding officer might have been promoted not because of his ability to lead, but because he fit a quota? In war, life and death depend on being able to trust one's leadership. And the woke Pentagon has torpedoed that.
From a 2021 report:
Quote:

During a drill weekend, unit leaders held a stand down on race -a pause in their usual training-where they taught troops about white supremacy and the importance of staying apolitical on social media. But one service member balked at the training's focus on far-right extremist groups, not other organizations like Black Lives Matter or Antifa.
"Anyone who has been face to face with them during the riots will tell you they are in fact well organized militant hate groups," the service member wrote. "However, we are encouraged to stand with them, but not groups that stand for the Constitution."
Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., says this is one of more than two dozen stories that show the military has gone too far with what another service member called "fake wokeness." In a memo from Cotton to the Senate Armed Services Committee obtained by Defense One, the senator includes 28 written complaints from troops, which could not be independently verified, about training sessions and regulations that service members argue paint the military as fundamentally racist and support left-leaning groups while labeling conservative movements as extremist. Cotton and Rep. Dan Crenshaw, R-Texas, two weeks ago set up a public whistleblower site inviting service members to complain about "woke ideology" in the military.
"Many struggle to connect on why we heavily condemned Jan 6 but refused to talk about the violent riots during the summer of 2020. Many had questions about groups like Antifa not being discussed during out [sic] extremism presentation," another service member wrote.
Could it be that white potential recruits have looked at the evidence and concluded that the Pentagon hates people like them and their families, and that they don't want to serve a racist institution? I have told you readers about the many anecdotes I've received over the past few years from both active-duty and recently retired service personnel, including officers, who say they actively discourage their family members from joining the service. Why? Because of this kind of thing. They correctly see the DEI ideology embraced by military leadership as bigotry, and they don't want to see their kids subjected to it.
Honestly, if the Chinese government wanted to destabilize and demoralize the United States, they could hardly have done better than to have converted the Pentagon brass into apostles of DEI. And as you see from the initial report I cited, the Armed Forces, like every woke institution, cannot face the possibility that potential recruits are reacting negatively to DEI as a rational decision; no, these people have to be blinded by Satan, or the equivalent. You cannot falsify DEI's claims in the eyes of its proponents. It really is a cult!
But it's worse than that: I would like to know more about the details of why whites who considered entering the military but decided against it, made that choice. What specifically turned them away? This is incredibly important. The decision not to serve in the defense of one's country says a lot about how one regards the country. Mind you, I would entirely understand potential recruits of all races hesitating to sign up for active duty, given the misuse of the US military over the past two decades by governments led by both Republicans and Democrats. Who can blame young Americans of any race wondering if it's worth it to put oneself in the way of lethal harm to follow a civilian leadership dedicated to risking world war to queer the Donbass?
(Yes, it's a provocative, hyperbolic phrase I coined, but the point I make in it is that US foreign and defense policy has been directed not towards defending America and her legitimate interests, but in large part towards "spreading democracy and human rights," meaning, trying to compel foreigners to become proper American liberals, whether they want to or not. It started with George W. Bush's crusading for liberal democracy in Iraq and Afghanistan; it continued with Barack Obama elevating LGBT advocacy to a foreign policy priority.)
The US military is facing its worst manpower crisis since the end of World War II. It cannot afford to alienate any potential recruits. Yet it has endorsed an anti-white ideology and now wonders why white young people stay away.
I cannot recommend strongly enough that you readers with an interest in this kind of thing pre-order Jeremy Carl's blockbuster upcoming book (April), The Unprotected Class: How Anti-White Racism Is Tearing America Apart. In this excerpt from his chapter on anti-white racism in the US military, Carl indicates that this kind of bigotry advanced even under Donald Trump:
Quote:

Even under Trump, the military bureaucracy was out hunting the white supremacist extremist boogeyman. "Among DVEs [domestic violent extremists], racially and ethnically motivated violent extremists specifically white supremacist extremists (WSEs)will remain the most persistent and lethal threat in the homeland," declared the official Homeland Security Threat Assessment in October 2020.
Virtually every one of the relatively few white supremacist attacks in America in recent years has been a disturbed "lone wolf" and none, to this author's knowledge, were organized efforts involving multiple members of the military.
Meanwhile, there have been multiple notable Islamist domestic attacks from within the military, most notably the Fort Hood massacre, in which Nidal Hassan killed thirteen of his fellow soldiers and wounded thirty. Despite writing to the then-head of the Islamic State requesting citizenship in 2014 (five years after the massacre), he was not charged with terrorism, proof that such charges can ultimately be political.
The Fort Hood massacre showed how much the army was already worshipping diversity at the cost of cohesion and common sense. In the wake of the killings, Army Chief of Staff George Casey, channeling Dan Quayle after the L.A. riots, said that "our diversity not only in our army, but in our country, is a strength. And as horrific as this tragedy was, if our diversity becomes a casualty, I think that's worse." To sacrifice diversity was now literally worse than the mass fratricidal murder of American soldiers.
Meanwhile, highly organized Antifa and BLM groups carry out racist riots that kill people and cause property damage, often targeting whites and white-owned businesses, yet are never listed as a national security threat. Does the military think that the billions of dollars in riot damage and numerous fatalities caused by BLM are a threat to the homeland? It clearly doesn't seem so, judging by their actions.
After the death of George Floyd, every single member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff spoke out about racism. Rather than showing concern over the rioters who were at that moment wreaking havoc in the streets, today's military validated their grievances. First to speak was Air Force Chief of Staff David Goldfein who said Floyd's death was a "national tragedy" and that "every American should be outraged" by the police's conduct. Meanwhile, the chief master sergeant of the Air Force posted to Twitter a list of black men killed by police, including criminals like Michael Brown, while declaring "I am George Floyd."
"I don't have all of the answers," the chief master sergeant claimed, "but I'm committed to seeing a better future for this nation. A future where Black men no longer suffer needlessly at the hands of White police officers, & Black airmen have the same chance to succeed as their White counterparts." As we have shown elsewhere in the book, that future is already here and in fact it is white soldiers who are being denied equal opportunities as our readiness weakens in response to affirmative action. It is hard to imagine something worse for unit cohesion than asking white soldiers, those most likely to be at the "tip of the spear," to accept racial guilt for a problem that doesn't actually exist and to see racial favoritism for a case that is actually being punished.
The new military recruiting stats showing a dramatic falloff of white recruits, disproportionate to their number in the overall decline, is a powerful vote of no confidence in the Pentagon by the kind of people that same institution would expect to go into battle. This is a four-alarm national security crisis but don't expect Washington to respond in any way except to blame "partisans" for noticing. DEI cannot fail; it can only be failed.] -Rod Dreher
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx
Redbrickbear said:

Anonymous sources? Costello's specialty
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Well the Media never had problems with anonymous sources when they were attacking Trump…
BearFan33
Redbrickbear said:

This would make sense as Miley would check with Pelosi and sometimes China whenever trump gave an order.
Osodecentx
Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Well the Media never had problems with anonymous sources when they were attacking Trump…

I thought you expected more
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

I thought you expected more

It's been a long standing practice to use such sources.

What's good for the goose and all
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
fubar
What college, elite or otherwise, has a swimming requirement?
Redbrickbear
fubar said:

Would the US Naval academy and Coast Guard academy not be a little different than our average college?

Would that not be as important as being able to read and write for a civilian college?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Mr Redbrick

"In a 43-year career, the only action Mark Milley ever saw was in the war against the American people and their duly elected president."

This is a straight out lie. Why did you post it? Do you really believe the crap from most of your sources?

Where and when did you serve?
fubar
Redbrickbear said:

fubar said:

Would the US Naval academy and Coast Guard academy not be a little different than our average college.

Would that not be as important as being able to read and write for a civilian college?
I'd like you to post something that shows an elite college lowering swimming standards due to "racism." Not somebody making that claim. Something from some university where it states it is lowering "swimming requirements."

You post a lot of lies. I suspect this is just another, but I could be wrong.
Redbrickbear
fubar said:

Redbrickbear said:

fubar said:

Would the US Naval academy and Coast Guard academy not be a little different than our average college.

You post a lot of lies. I suspect this is just another, but I could be wrong.

What lies? Can you name them?

In fact I just post articles and news.

The facts within them seem to be what you don't like…

fubar
You haven't addressed the question, which is typical.
Redbrickbear
fubar said:

You haven't addressed the question, which is typical.

You asked me a question about a statement I never made.

Which is typical of you.

Go back and read the article…Steve sailer made that comment about colleges and swimming

fubar
Read what article? You posted big pictures and a few sentences but no actual links.

You claimed "elite universities" have messed with "swimming requirements" because they are racist. You've posted nothing in support of that.

You've also posted some bilge about non-whites feeling fat, or some such, to make fun of, hell, I don't even know. You got anything to support that trash?
Redbrickbear
fubar said:

Read what article? You posted big pictures and a few sentences but no actual links.

You claimed "elite universities" have messed with "swimming requirements" because they are racist. You've posted nothing in support of that.

Again, I never made that claim.

You seem to have some serious reading comprehension issues.

The person in the article made a claim.

Do you understand the difference between an author making a statement and then someone else (me) posting the article?

Do we need to have a remedial conversation about that concept?

The link is below since not only can you have problems understanding who said what….you can't seem to follow a X link

https://www.takimag.com/article/drowning-in-data/

See there is something called a link…since the link are the words of other people.

Do you understand this concept?

This is the original X post…notice that I did not write anything

muddybrazos
Steve Sailer has a lot of facts that some people find uncomfortable but they're true.
Redbrickbear
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
"I am pleased to announce my nomination of four-star Gen. Mark Milley, chief of Staff of the United States Army -- as the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, replacing Gen. Joe Dunford, who will be retiring," the president tweeted. "I am thankful to both of these incredible men for their service to our Country!"

How in hell did this happen? Hint: look who made him Chief of Staff?

There have been many lies posted about Gen. Milley on this board. i think its shameful
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

"I am pleased to announce my nomination of four-star Gen. Mark Milley, chief of Staff of the United States Army -- as the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, replacing Gen. Joe Dunford, who will be retiring," the president tweeted. "I am thankful to both of these incredible men for their service to our Country!"

How in hell did this happen? Hint: look who made him Chief of Staff?

There have been many lies posted about Gen. Milley on this board. i think its shameful
How has your "White Rage" been lately, my friend? You keeping it in check?
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
"White Rage"? I havent been in a fight in 6 or 7 years, and even then it was just a little dust up at Papa Joes. I have no racial problems. My family Christmas tree has Japs, gingers, rednecks and Mexicans.

It looks like you are back on the Trump train. I thought you said a while back you would ne er vote for him again.
Redbrickbear

Certainly Trump does not get a pass for appointing someone like him...Trump has made lots of poor personnel choices

What specific "lies" have been told about Gen. "White rage" Milley?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU

Redbrickbear said:

The Armchair General Takes a Seat

In a 43-year career, the only action Mark Milley ever saw was in the war against the American people and their duly elected president.

[Mark Milley ended 43 years of service Friday with little fanfare and less awareness of the extreme dishonor with which he conducted his military career, especially the final years in which he served at the nation's highest uniformed post.

Long before he became Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mark Milley was formed by circumstances that instilled a unique blend of incompetence and arrogance. Born to the upper-middle classes in suburban Boston, the young Mark was saddled with the shared affliction of every soft man of the liberal left: a domineering mother. As a teen, he attended the very expensive, all-boys Belmont Hill School, eagerly participating in both sports and student council. (Milley was the quarterback of the varsity football team; his linebacker, one Richard Levine, would also achieve four-star rank, though under a different name.) From Belmont Hill, Milley sailed on to Princeton, where he studied politics and enrolled in ROTC.

In 1980, Milley commissioned into an Army that had already settled decidedly into its post-Vietnam bureaucratic malaise. Like Lloyd Austin and others now at the top of America's military apparatus, he fell into a dangerous generational gap: too young to have experienced Vietnam, too old to experience the War on Terror as anything but a senior officer.....]

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/the-armchair-general-takes-a-seat/
As the chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff since October 2019, Gen. Mark A. Milley is the nation's highest-ranking military officer.
Milley, who is also the principal military advisor to President Joe Biden, has served in the military for more than 42 years and has a long combat history.
Yet, posts on social media falsely claimed Milley "never served in combat and never won a war."
"Can someone explain to me how a man who never served in combat and never won a war has THIS many medals on his uniform," journalist Jordan Schachtel questioned in a tweet that shows Milley with numerous military decorations.
The tweet since has been deleted, but the claim continued to circulate.
Benny Johnson, a contributor to the conservative organization Turning Point USA and a frequent spreader of misinformation, shared a screenshot of Schachtel's tweet in an Instagram post on Feb. 8, which received more than 64,600 likes.
But, as we said, the post's claim regarding Milley's combat experience is wrong.
An article about Milley on the U.S. Army website says he has an "extensive background of combat experience having deployed in support of numerous operational assignments including: Multinational Force and Observers Sinai in Egypt, Operation Just Cause in Panama, Operation Uphold Democracy in Haiti, Operation Joint Endeavor in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Operation Iraqi Freedom in Iraq and Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan." He also deployed to Somalia and Colombia.
Milley's biography on the Department of Defense website notes that he served three tours in Afghanistan. He has also held command positions in eight divisions and Special Forces, including as deputy commanding general and commanding general.
In a Department of Defense photo, Milley can be seen with a wide range of medals on his military uniform, including medals and badges related to combat efforts.
The top badge on his left side is the Combat Infantryman Badge with a star. To be eligible to wear this medal, one has to meet certain requirements, which include being "assigned to an infantry unit during such time as the unit is engaged in active ground combat" and "[a]ctively participate in such ground combat."
On his right, Milley's uniform includes an Army Meritorious Unit Commendation award, given for outstanding service for six consecutive months during a military operation against an armed enemy. "Although service in a combat zone is not required, the unit's accomplishments must be directly related to the larger combat effort," according to the American War Library.
According to the Association of the United States Army, Milley's awards, badges and decorations include the "Defense Distinguished Service Medal; Army Distinguished Service Medal with two bronze oak leaf clusters; Defense Superior Service Medal with two bronze oak leaf clusters; Legion of Merit with two bronze oak leaf clusters; Bronze Star Medal with three bronze oak leaf clusters; Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster; Army Commendation Medal with four bronze oak leaf clusters; Army Achievement Medal with one bronze oak leaf cluster; National Defense Service Medal with one bronze service star; Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with two bronze service stars; Afghanistan Campaign Medal with two bronze service stars; Iraq Campaign Medal with two bronze service stars; Global War on Terrorism Service Medal; Korea Defense Service Medal; Humanitarian Service Medal; Army Service Ribbon; Overseas Service Ribbon with numeral 5; NATO Medal with bronze service star; and the Multi-national Force and Observers Medal… Combat Infantryman Badge with star; Expert Infantryman Badge; Master Parachutist Badge; Scuba Diver Badge; Ranger Tab; Special Forces Tab; Joint Chiefs of Staff Identification Badge; Joint Meritorious Unit Award; and Meritorious Unit Commendation and the French Military Parachutist Badge."
Milley served in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq after the attacks on 9/11. Neither mission was considered a success for the U.S. The U.S. military hasn't had a clear victory since the first Gulf War in the early 1990s, when the U.S. successfully led a coalition that defended Kuwait from an Iraqi invasion.
I have already pointed out the lies you have posted about the general.
Redbrickbear

Redbrickbear said:

In a 43-year career, the only action Mark Milley ever saw was in the war against the American people and their duly elected president.

[Mark Milley ended 43 years of service Friday with little fanfare and less awareness of the extreme dishonor with which he conducted his military career, especially the final years in which he served at the nation's highest uniformed post.

Long before he became Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mark Milley was formed by circumstances that instilled a unique blend of incompetence and arrogance. Born to the upper-middle classes in suburban Boston, the young Mark was saddled with the shared affliction of every soft man of the liberal left: a domineering mother. As a teen, he attended the very expensive, all-boys Belmont Hill School, eagerly participating in both sports and student council. (Milley was the quarterback of the varsity football team; his linebacker, one Richard Levine, would also achieve four-star rank, though under a different name.) From Belmont Hill, Milley sailed on to Princeton, where he studied politics and enrolled in ROTC.

In 1980, Milley commissioned into an Army that had already settled decidedly into its post-Vietnam bureaucratic malaise. Like Lloyd Austin and others now at the top of America's military apparatus, he fell into a dangerous generational gap: too young to have experienced Vietnam, too old to experience the War on Terror as anything but a senior officer.....]

What are those "lies"?

Can you name them?

So far he has been criticized for things he actually said or policies that came in during his leadership.

Those are criticism...a very different thing than lies
muddybrazos

"White Rage"? I havent been in a fight in 6 or 7 years, and even then it was just a little dust up at Papa Joes. I have no racial problems. My family Christmas tree has Japs, gingers, rednecks and Mexicans.

It looks like you are back on the Trump train. I thought you said a while back you would ne er vote for him again.
So that was you that got shot in the face outside Papa Joes? Shoulda told Billy Joe "not in the face" when he asked "where do you want it?"
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
muddybrazos said:

So that was you that got shot in the face outside Papa Joes? Shoulda told Billy Joe "not in the face" when he asked "where do you want it?"
Funny. I did talk to shaver that night. He stopped in the whataburger on highway 6 that night after the incident. It was 17 years. I had a little trouble there about 6 or 7 years. Just a couple of swings, no weapons but my red right hand.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Redbrickbear said:

Redbrickbear said:

What are those "lies"?

Can you name them?

So far he has been criticized for things he actually said or policies that came in during his leadership.

Those are criticism...a very different thing than lies
The article you posted said the general saw no action in war. The article i posted gave proof he did.

Saying he was not involved in war is a lie, not an opinion . The general was respected by most of the military. There is a veteran posting on this thread. I hold his opinion over yours. You post articles full of lies.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86

Not sure I said that. I was all in for DeSantis. Will vote for Trump again when he locks up the nomination. We have all been instructed that America wants Biden or Trump, so be it.

I still don't think China Joe crosses the finish line. He will pardon himself and his son on his way to Memory Care. The Cafeteria Czar will be the Dem nominee. Kamala is gonna be pissed but the Dems will pay her handsomely to go away and S T F U.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Frank Galvin
Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

muddybrazos said:

ron.reagan said:

Here is a war hero that saw "real" combat with an opinion on one of the leaders of your cult:

That person is not a hero nor was his admiral father. His father covered up the attack on the USS Liberty and we all know Mccain was a neocon warmonger that sold out this country.
Can you draw a timeline of when he was and wasn't a hero for us?

Just about the moment he got out of prison and left the USA military. He was a prisoner of war for 5.5 years, 2 of which he spent in solitary confinement. He showed real bravery there and even turned down a chance to get out earlier because he was an Admirals kid (VIP). But after that he spent his life getting rich over government service and putting America last...well at least everyone in America who did not work at the Pentagon or in North Virginia.

[As a U.S. Senator for 31 years, he did and said many things that I found morally reprehensible (such as his role in the Savings and Loans Crisis that cost U.S. taxpayers at least $160.1 billion; his many subsequent votes against banking and financial regulations....but none more so than his hawkish stance on U.S. military involvement around the globe, all toward the benefit of the defense industry and to his mutual benefit as a politician.

Almost immediately after coming back as a POW from Viet Nam in 1973, he vigorously supported President Nixon and carpet bombing of Cambodia by U.S. forces. Bombing was most heavily focused in the Southeastern parts of the country, with some parts of the map showing almost complete coverage by carpet bombs (including the capital city Phnom Penh). While the casualties of this operation will never be known, some place estimates from million to more than 1 million Cambodian deaths. Many attribute the rapid rise of the Khmer Rouge and subsequent Cambodian genocide to American expansion of the Viet Nam War into Cambodia, and in particular, to these carpet bombing operations.

He was a vocal proponent of invading Iraq in 2003. Throughout his presidential bid in 2008 and thereafter, he asserted that invading Iraq was the right thing to do. In 2007, the "war hero" also voted against requiring a minimum period between deployments to Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. It was not until this 2018 book that he accepted his part of the blame for this ongoing military and humanitarian disaster.

He was so flippant about the costs of waging war, he once made serious threats about bombing Iran using Beach Boys song lyrics.

To the benefit of the defense industry, he was friendly with Muammar Gaddafi, promising Libya lethal and non-lethal military equipment from the U.S. in the late 2000s. Some of these weapons that McCain helped Gaddafi to secure undoubtedly contributed to the war crimes that Gaddafi waged against the Libyan people starting in 2011, the same war crimes that made McCain call for U.S. ground troops to be deployed and for absolute removal of Gaddafi.
Like so many other politicians, he also supported U.S. military involvement in places like Afghanistan after the September 11, 2001 attacks. This rush to go to war has enveloped the U.S. military in a quagmire that is now in its 17th year. But McCain wrote in an op-ed in the Washington Post that "war is a miserable business. Let's get on with it."

It is precisely this callous attitude about war that perplexes me and makes me question his moral character.]

He got rich by marrying rich. So you have the part about government service incorrect.

He was not callous of war. He knew about the horrors of war more than almost anybody else. What he believed was that sacrifice was the cost of freedom.

I understand disagreement with his views. I don't understand why it is so hard to say he was a heroic sailor who advocated for bad policies.
Redbrickbear
Frank Galvin said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

muddybrazos said:

ron.reagan said:

Here is a war hero that saw "real" combat with an opinion on one of the leaders of your cult:

That person is not a hero nor was his admiral father. His father covered up the attack on the USS Liberty and we all know Mccain was a neocon warmonger that sold out this country.

Just about the moment he got out of prison and left the USA military. He was a prisoner of war for 5.5 years, 2 of which he spent in solitary confinement. He showed real bravery there and even turned down a chance to get out earlier because he was an Admirals kid (VIP). But after that he spent his life getting rich over government service and putting America last...well at least everyone in America who did not work at the Pentagon or in North Virginia.

[As a U.S. Senator for 31 years, he did and said many things that I found morally reprehensible (such as his role in the Savings and Loans Crisis that cost U.S. taxpayers at least $160.1 billion; his many subsequent votes against banking and financial regulations....but none more so than his hawkish stance on U.S. military involvement around the globe, all toward the benefit of the defense industry and to his mutual benefit as a politician.

Almost immediately after coming back as a POW from Viet Nam in 1973, he vigorously supported President Nixon and carpet bombing of Cambodia by U.S. forces. Bombing was most heavily focused in the Southeastern parts of the country, with some parts of the map showing almost complete coverage by carpet bombs (including the capital city Phnom Penh). While the casualties of this operation will never be known, some place estimates from million to more than 1 million Cambodian deaths. Many attribute the rapid rise of the Khmer Rouge and subsequent Cambodian genocide to American expansion of the Viet Nam War into Cambodia, and in particular, to these carpet bombing operations.

He was a vocal proponent of invading Iraq in 2003. Throughout his presidential bid in 2008 and thereafter, he asserted that invading Iraq was the right thing to do. In 2007, the "war hero" also voted against requiring a minimum period between deployments to Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. It was not until this 2018 book that he accepted his part of the blame for this ongoing military and humanitarian disaster.

He was so flippant about the costs of waging war, he once made serious threats about bombing Iran using Beach Boys song lyrics.

To the benefit of the defense industry, he was friendly with Muammar Gaddafi, promising Libya lethal and non-lethal military equipment from the U.S. in the late 2000s. Some of these weapons that McCain helped Gaddafi to secure undoubtedly contributed to the war crimes that Gaddafi waged against the Libyan people starting in 2011, the same war crimes that made McCain call for U.S. ground troops to be deployed and for absolute removal of Gaddafi.
Like so many other politicians, he also supported U.S. military involvement in places like Afghanistan after the September 11, 2001 attacks. This rush to go to war has enveloped the U.S. military in a quagmire that is now in its 17th year. But McCain wrote in an op-ed in the Washington Post that "war is a miserable business. Let's get on with it."

It is precisely this callous attitude about war that perplexes me and makes me question his moral character.]

He got rich by marrying rich. So you have the part about government service incorrect.

He was not callous of war. He knew about the horrors of war more than almost anybody else. What he believed was that sacrifice was the cost of freedom.

He advocated for us getting involved in conflicts in lots of places (Syria for example) that had nothing to do with our freedom.

At best he was a person who thought US military intervention everywhere would be a good thing and bring about good outcomes for the world.

So he was misguided…or worst…he was a war hawk because of hubris and for financial gain.
Frank Galvin
Redbrickbear said:

Frank Galvin said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

muddybrazos said:

ron.reagan said:

He advocated for us getting involved in conflicts in lots of places (Syria for example) that had nothing to do with our freedom.

At best he was a person who thought US military intervention everywhere would be a good thing and bring about good outcomes for the world.

So he was misguided…or worst…he was a war hawk because of hubris and for financial gain.

People keep writing about McCain's financial interest in interventionist policies. What is that based on?
muddybrazos
Frank Galvin said:

Redbrickbear said:

Frank Galvin said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

muddybrazos said:

ron.reagan said:

People keep writing about McCain's financial interest in interventionist policies. What is that based on?
Ask Lindsey Graham bc he is still alive and he is Mccains protege. He has a gay boner for any war anywhere any time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.