The Lost Cause Myth

2,166 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by Redbrickbear
Vae Victis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Redbrickbear
It was such a "myth" that Northern politicians and veterans believed it.

"The war of 1861 was fought, not to determine the status of the negro, but to establish the permanence of the Union. From the beginning of the Republic to the end of the war, a long line of distinguished statesmen (and they were not confined to the south) believed-honestly believed- that when any state as judged for herself that she had sufficient cause to withdraw from the Union, she might do so in peace, and in harmony with the constitution. On the other hand, an equally long line of renowned leaders believed- honestly believed that there could be no peaceful disintegration of the Republic. It was inevitable from the first that, some time, the issue thus presented must be settled. In the very nature of things, there was but one arbiter for such a question. The battlefield was the only court that could render judgment upon an issue so vital and so fundamental." -Gov. Cummins (11/15/1906)
-The Gov. of Iowa said this as part of the dedication to the Iowa Monument at Vicksburg battlefield in 1906.
Vae Victis
https://www.c-span.org/video/?407279-1/myth-lost
Vae Victis
The lost cause myth was started by a bunch of old ladies.
Redbrickbear
Another lost Causer….

"On they come with the old swinging route step and swaying battle flags. Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood. Thin, worn and famished, but erect and with eyes looking level into ours. Waking memories that bound us together as no other bond. Was not such manhood to be welcomed back into the Union so tested and assured. On our part not a sound of trumpet more nor roll of drum, not a cheer, nor word, nor whisper of vain glorying, nor motion of man. But an awed stillness rather and breathholding, as if it were the passing of the dead." ~Gen. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, describing the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia
Redbrickbear
Vae Victis said:

Wait till you hear about the Daughters of the American revolution….

Some really awesome women care about history and the noble deeds of their ancestors

(PS nice little hit of misogyny there Mr. Liberal)
Forest Bueller
Vae Victis said:

Good grief. This is an antiquated mindset.
Thee University
The South WILL rise again!

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Thee University
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Vae Victis
https://inclusivehistorian.com/lost-cause-myth/#:~:text=The%20Lost%20Cause%20began%20to,that%20ex%2DConfederates%20considered%20dishonorable.

Like I said, started by a bunch of delusional old hags from the South.
KaiBear
Thee University said:

No it won't .

The South of 1860 is gone forever.

Worse; the United States of 1945 , is also gone forever .

From the world's dominate super power to a country where the mutilation of children is celebrated on Easter Sunday.

An incredible economic, cultural and moral collapse in less than a century .

Redbrickbear
Vae Victis said:

https://inclusivehistorian.com/lost-cause-myth/#:~:text=The%20Lost%20Cause%20began%20to,that%20ex%2DConfederates%20considered%20dishonorable.

Your sexism and misogyny is showing….
Thee University
Most monuments were built around 1900 to 1920 and were paid for by wives, sons, daughters and grandkids of the Confederate Veterans. The majority of the $$$$ raised was in the form of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters the children were able to scrape together.

The Southern folks were by and large more focused, sentimental, loving, caring, religious, moral and tight knit than the Northern aggressors.

Now, 100 years later, thugs supporting the likes of George Floyd rioted and inflicted BILLIONS of $$$ of damage to buildings and businesses around our nation and Confederate statues were targeted by these losers. Prior to a drugged up George Floyd being killed, people had not a care in the world for these statues honoring great leaders.

If any statue can be saved and they need a safe place for the statue to reside, I have several hundred acres I will volunteer to host statues. It will lose some of its meaning by reappearing in a location that means nothing to history but at least all of the families of these VETERANS can come see what was erected to honor their forefathers.
Vae Victis
I think you mean Honor their slave holding forefathers
Thee University
Vae Victis said:

Slaves or no slaves, it's history and we can learn from it, not run from it or try to rewrite it.

I would be willing to bet that if you do a little genealogy research you had slave holding ancestors in your tree. How do you feel about that?

I can't help what happened before my birth. All I can do is make certain I do the best I can to keep Texas great and work on turning the United States of America around to become the country we envisioned 250 years ago.
Forest Bueller_bf
Vae Victis said:

Like I said, you have a strangly pre-1920 mindset.
muddybrazos
Vae Victis said:

Only about 3% of Southerners owned slaves.
KaiBear
Thee University said:

Vae Victis said:

All I can do is make certain I do the best I can to keep Texas great and work on turning the United States of America around to become the country we envisioned 250 years ago.
With respect ,

Texas is no longer great and it's future is extremely bleak.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California get re absorbed back into Mexico within the next hundred years.

Such oscillating land transfers have happened throughout Europe for centuries.
Bestweekeverr
KaiBear said:

Thee University said:

No it won't .

From the world's dominate super power to a country where the mutilation of children is celebrated on Easter Sunday.

The United States is still by far the strongest economy in world, at least in terms of GDP. In 2022 USA GDP was 40% greater than the next country, China, with about 1/3 of the population. USA GDP was 5 times higher than the next two countries, Japan and Germany.

Our military is still the best in the world with the USA spending almost 3 times as much as China and 10 times as much as Russia in 2022. Russia can't even successfully conquer Ukraine and has proven themselves to be a Paper Tiger. Chinese military is largely untested.

I think you spend too much time reading doom and gloom news. American was great under Bush, great under Obama, great under Trump, and even great now under Biden.
parch
Bestweekeverr said:

KaiBear said:

Thee University said:

No it won't .

The United States is still by far the strongest economy in world, at least in terms of GDP. In 2022 USA GDP was 40% greater than the next country, China, with about 1/3 of the population. USA GDP was 5 times higher than the next two countries, Japan and Germany.

Our military is still the best in the world with the USA spending almost 3 times as much as China and 10 times as much as Russia in 2022. Russia can't even successfully conquer Ukraine and has proven themselves to be a Paper Tiger. Chinese military is largely untested.

I think you spend too much time reading doom and gloom news. American was great under Bush, great under Obama, great under Trump, and even great now under Biden.
Furthermore, Texas alone has the 8th largest economy in the world by GDP and now has more Fortune 500 HQs than anywhere in the US.

The South will never rise, thankfully. This letter Sherman wrote to his wife on the eve of the war in 1860 while he was a military school superintendent in Louisiana is an incredible piece of foresight, and his last sentence remain as true today as it's ever been.

Quote:

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it … Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.
Oldbear83
"great now under Biden"

s.b. in spite of Biden.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Doc Holliday
Bestweekeverr said:

KaiBear said:

Thee University said:

No it won't .

This is true...but its also true that it could be so much better without rampant corruption and stupidity.
KaiBear
Bestweekeverr said:

KaiBear said:

Thee University said:

No it won't .

Sincerely think it's wonderful you feel this way.

However our number of homeless has never been higher.
At least a dozen of our cities are crumbling rat holes.
Our southern boarder is completely wide open and an historical invasion of our to country is well underway. Intentionally instigated for political gain. The consequences of which are only now just beginning to be felt.

Our air force and especially our Navy are first rate. With the ' boomer submarines' easily our strongest and most deadly asset. However the army is in complete disarray; short handed with obsolete equipment, and horribly led at the top. I don't know but I suspect the Marines are well trained and motivated as always , but again their equipment is obsolete.

The national debt is not some innocuous number. It is at an all time high, increasing rapidly , and worst in the entire world by a large margin. Sooner rather than later an economic crisis is inevitable. Just as has happened in other countries in the same mess. Our people can't afford higher taxes and yet demand entitlements. Politically it is suicide to effectively correct the situation so nothing is done and our politicians merely pray they will be comfortably out of office before the crash.

Our country has never been more racially, culturally or economically divided than it is now. A situation our foreign enemies are well aware of. Have no idea how this can be successfully addressed. In the event of a ground war or severe recession all hell will break lose. A class war is a legitimate concern.

China is our most immediate threat, not Russia. Taiwan is lost it's just a matter of time. Hopefully we just accept the inevitable and stay clear as our people would never support a war over the island .

Short of a negotiated settlement of the Russian Ukrainian war ; NATO will be forced to get involved directly .As the Ukraine army is rapidly running out of combat troops. Yet again our people will never support such a war .

Bestweekeverr
Oldbear83 said:

"great now under Biden"

s.b. in spite of Biden.
That's what makes our nation great.
Bestweekeverr
Doc Holliday said:

Bestweekeverr said:

KaiBear said:

Thee University said:

No it won't .

This is true...but its also true that it could be so much better without rampant corruption and stupidity.
Every country would be better without corruption and stupidity.
Bestweekeverr
KaiBear said:

Bestweekeverr said:

KaiBear said:

Thee University said:

No it won't .

Our southern boarder is completely wide open and an historical invasion of our to country is well underway. Intentionally instigated for political gain. The consequences of which are only now just beginning to be felt.

Our air force and especially our Navy are first rate. With the ' boomer submarines' easily our strongest and most deadly asset. However the army is in complete disarray; short handed with obsolete equipment, and horribly led at the top. I don't know but I suspect the Marines are well trained and motivated as always , but again their equipment is obsolete.

The national debt is not some innocuous number. It is at an all time high, increasing rapidly , and worst in the entire world by a large margin. Sooner rather than later an economic crisis is inevitable. Just as has happened in other countries in the same mess. Our people can't afford higher taxes and yet demand entitlements. Politically it is suicide to effectively correct the situation so nothing is done and our politicians merely pray they will be comfortably out of office before the crash.

Our country has never been more racially, culturally or economically divided than it is now. A situation our foreign enemies are well aware of. Have no idea how this can be successfully addressed. In the event of a ground war or severe recession all hell will break lose. A class war is a legitimate concern.

China is our most immediate threat, not Russia. Taiwan is lost it's just a matter of time. Hopefully we just accept the inevitable and stay clear as our people would never support a war over the island .

Short of a negotiated settlement of the Russian Ukrainian war ; NATO will be forced to get involved directly .As the Ukraine army is rapidly running out of combat troops. Yet again our people will never support such a war .

As the US population grows it's expected the number of homeless will grow as well. The total number of homeless remained between 550K and 650K from 2007 to 2020, but trending down until 2020, resulting in much lower rates of homelessness. Thanks to the American Rescue Plan, the number of homeless remained in this range. In 2023 most of the resources from the ARP expired leading to an increase in homeless populations, around the same number as 2007 (~650k). Since the population in 2023 was 40M higher, the homelessness rate is still 12% lower than it was during 2007. Veteran homelessness rate has decreased by over 1/3 in the previous 14 years, and family homelessness rates are also on a decline. Homelessness in the US is a problem, but the data shows it has been worse and is fixable given the resources.

Cities rise and cities fall, I don't see any trend that America is on its way to its demise.

People have been saying immigration of so and so people would be the downfall of our nation since the beginning, and at a national level it has made us stronger. Recently, immigration was a big reason why our inflation was not as bad as the rest of the world. Not saying that we should have open borders, what's happening now does present real problems especially at the local level, but again, I don't see it as this cataclysmic event for the US.
KaiBear
Bestweekeverr said:

KaiBear said:

Bestweekeverr said:

KaiBear said:

Thee University said:

No it won't .

As the US population grows it's expected the number of homeless will grow as well. The total number of homeless remained between 550K and 650K from 2007 to 2020, but trending down until 2020, resulting in much lower rates of homelessness. Thanks to the American Rescue Plan, the number of homeless remained in this range. In 2023 most of the resources from the ARP expired leading to an increase in homeless populations, around the same number as 2007 (~650k). Since the population in 2023 was 40M higher, the homelessness rate is still 12% lower than it was during 2007. Veteran homelessness rate has decreased by over 1/3 in the previous 14 years, and family homelessness rates are also on a decline. Homelessness in the US is a problem, but the data shows it has been worse and is fixable given the resources.

Cities rise and cities fall, I don't see any trend that America is on its way to its demise.

People have been saying immigration of so and so people would be the downfall of our nation since the beginning, and at a national level it has made us stronger. Recently, immigration was a big reason why our inflation was not as bad as the rest of the world. Not saying that we should have open borders, what's happening now does present real problems especially at the local level, but again, I don't see it as this cataclysmic event for the US.

With respect …..

Have you ever spent a few nights in downtown Memphis, Oakland, Baltimore, Detroit , New Orleans or St Louis ?

Try maybe a week in South Oak Cliff , East Saint Louis , Philadelphia. Newark, East LA, or Baton Rouge.

Strongly doubt you would be so causally dismissive of the realities involved.

Can only tell you the homeless problem at every Catholic Charities Rescue Mission I have visited or volunteered at is bursting with homeless people. And the suicide rate among our veterans is bad.

The border . There is no country on earth that can annually absorb the unemployed surplus population of two entire continents. For God's sake connect the dots . These illegals have no skills, few can read or write English . Exactly where is the annul job growth to employ an extra 2-4 million people each year ? What is going to stop this flood if we don't enforce existing immigration laws ?

Have you ever been to Mexico ? Not a resort mind you….but the real towns. The drug cartels run everything
Redbrickbear
Method Man
Thee University said:

Vae Victis said:

Slaves or no slaves, it's history and we can learn from it, not run from it or try to rewrite it.

I would be willing to bet that if you do a little genealogy research you had slave holding ancestors in your tree. How do you feel about that?

I can't help what happened before my birth. All I can do is make certain I do the best I can to keep Texas great and work on turning the United States of America around to become the country we envisioned 250 years ago.
The South will rise again.

Look at the SEC. Its the dominant conference in college football.
Before 1970 The SEC was mostly white.

Nowadays?
Unless he's a lineman or qb its almost rare to see a white boy start at an SEC school.
In the last 50 years White boys from the South got pushed out of football and basketball.
Method Man
KaiBear said:

Bestweekeverr said:

KaiBear said:

Bestweekeverr said:

KaiBear said:

Thee University said:

No it won't .

With respect …..

Have you ever spent a few nights in downtown Memphis, Oakland, Baltimore, Detroit , New Orleans or St Louis ?

Try maybe a week in South Oak Cliff , East Saint Louis , Philadelphia. Newark, East LA, or Baton Rouge.

Can only tell you the homeless problem at every Catholic Charities Rescue Mission I have visited or volunteered at is bursting with homeless people. And the suicide rate among our veterans is bad.

The border . There is no country on earth that can annually absorb the unemployed surplus population of two entire continents. For God's sake connect the dots . These illegals have no skills, few can read or write English . Exactly where is the annul job growth to employ an extra 2-4 million people each year ? What is going to stop this flood if we don't enforce existing immigration laws ?

Have you ever been to Mexico ? Not a resort mind you….but the real towns. The drug cartels run everything
The truth is that some people in this country are getting breeded out and replaced.

Those people with recessive traits are at the biggest risk of being replaced.
Redbrickbear
Method Man said:

KaiBear said:

Bestweekeverr said:

KaiBear said:

Bestweekeverr said:

KaiBear said:

Thee University said:

No it won't .

With respect …..

The truth is that some people in this country are getting breeded out and replaced.

Black people in the USA have a below replacement fertility rate. (Just like everyone else)

That means population decline in the USA. The only reason that does not happen is because of immigration from Africa and the Caribbean that keeps the population growing.

Its does not have anything to do with "recessive traits"

But its always interesting to see liberals and black people jump into supporting eugenic type language…

Harrison Bergeron
Thee University said:

What is that from? Were those veterans that recorded that in the 1920s or something?
KaiBear
Method Man said:

KaiBear said:

Bestweekeverr said:

KaiBear said:

Bestweekeverr said:

KaiBear said:

Thee University said:

No it won't .

With respect …..

Had a Chinese worker on my farm. He married a very nice Mexican lady and they had 2 daughters and one son.

The son proceeded to have Twenty Eight children.

Ben would breed with anything. Old, fat, ugly….didn't matter .
Never spent a single dime on any of his kids .

So you know who raised all these new American Citizens ?

Yep , all us taxpayers.

Now guess how many of these 28 citizens vote Democrat ?

Biden and his handlers know exactly what they are doing.

The Great Replacement is happening right in front of our faces.

Or like my foreman Santos boasted to me years ago.

" We are going to get it all back. California, Texas , New Mexico , Colorado.

We are going to breed you right out of the country "

Thee University
Harrison Bergeron said:

Thee University said:

What is that from? Were those veterans that recorded that in the 1920s or something?
These are real recordings of Confederate veterans demonstrating the old southern battle cry.

Thomas Alexander was a private in the 37th North Carolina Infantry Regiment (CSA), who enlisted at Charlotte in 1862, and was wounded in the leg at Fusel's Mill in 1864. His recording begins first, and lingers after the others have faded out.

Oldbear83
"guess how many of these 28 citizens vote Democrat ?"

54 would be the correct answer, unless they need more.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.