Solar Eclipse & biblical history

1,248 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by BusyTarpDuster2017
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here is an interesting perspective:

https://www.wnd.com/2024/04/solar-eclipse-cast-shadow-across-america/

I don't know if it means anything: this writer is careful not to go there, but it is very curious in the context of historical events and previous eclipses. In case anyone forgot, it was six months ago today when Hamas started the current war with their barbaric attack.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
TenBears
Outside Waco. Been drinking, shooting guns and listening to C&W for two days. TRULY hoping its clear enough to see tomorrow. If not will continue to drink, shoot guns and listen to C&W tomorrow, and watch hoops. The Drama Queen aspect of the eclipse has been an interesting phenomena to watch.
historian
Ironically, the forecast is rain most of the afternoon meaning it will be overcast and it's likely few people in central Texas will see much of it if any.
contrario
Another example of how man has used religion to try to explain perfectly normal, natural events. There are at least two solar eclipses somewhere on earth every year and up to five per year. Therefore, anytime there is something bad that happens, it could be blamed on a solar eclipse because there are multiple solar eclipses every year. And while man can't control these celestial events, neither will god, if we are to believe god has given us free will and chooses not to act on the natural course of things. So what that means is that every future solar eclipse can be predicted by basic computer models and math, and there is no divine intervention.
ShooterTX
contrario said:

Another example of how man has used religion to try to explain perfectly normal, natural events. There are at least two solar eclipses somewhere on earth every year and up to five per year. Therefore, anytime there is something bad that happens, it could be blamed on a solar eclipse because there are multiple solar eclipses every year. And while man can't control these celestial events, neither will god, if we are to believe god has given us free will and chooses not to act on the natural course of things. So what that means is that every future solar eclipse can be predicted by basic computer models and math, and there is no divine intervention.
I don't think anyone is "using religion to explain perfectly normal, natural events." No one is blaming the eclipse for anything.

If you read the article, you will see that the author is saying that God uses signs in the heavens as warnings or messages. He is not claiming that the eclipse caused anything.

In the Bible, Jesus does say that there will be signs in the heavens when the end of times is approaching. This is why so many religious people study things like a solar eclipse, and attempt to find the "meaning" behind it.

There is not a Christian out there with any legitimacy who is claiming that the eclipse is the cause of anything, or that the eclipse just randomly showed up when no one expected it. Anyone who is saying either of those two things is an idiot.
ShooterTX
KaiBear

Expecting Texas ' Scientist ' to pounce onto this thread with 3 comments at least.
contrario
ShooterTX said:

contrario said:

I don't think anyone is "using religion to explain perfectly normal, natural events." No one is blaming the eclipse for anything.

If you read the article, you will see that the author is saying that God uses signs in the heavens as warnings or messages. He is not claiming that the eclipse caused anything.

In the Bible, Jesus does say that there will be signs in the heavens when the end of times is approaching. This is why so many religious people study things like a solar eclipse, and attempt to find the "meaning" behind it.

There is not a Christian out there with any legitimacy who is claiming that the eclipse is the cause of anything, or that the eclipse just randomly showed up when no one expected it. Anyone who is saying either of those two things is an idiot.
So at least 2 times a year, every year, god is using eclipses to send warnings and messages?
Sam Lowry
contrario said:

"Computer models," LOL. Can't believe you sheeple actually think this is going to happen after all the lies from Fauci and the so-called experts!
Guy Noir
contrario said:

I have a different perspective. I consider that some of these natural events explain what was recorded as events in the Bible. The Science can sometimes explain religion.
Realitybites
We call it a "solar eclipse" but in fact it is a lunar orbital phenomenon. The sun is doing just fine. If we get nuked sometime within the next few hours I'll reconsider.
whiterock

whiterock

muddybrazos
Did Aleister Crowleys demon alien show himself during the eclipse with Cern setting off big bang explosions while Nasa fired rockets? I was inside my office so I missed the show
historian
That's not what he said. He said that Prophecy says God will use these kinds of things as signs of events at some future date so people look at these events to see IF they match. They are asking if this eclipse is a sign of something else. Some day they will but not necessarily in 2024.
J.R.
Gosh it was truly remarkable . I live in Downtown Dallas in a high rise apt. The view was amazing. Dallas went totally dark! fascinating.
Oldbear83
contrario said:

ShooterTX said:

contrario said:

So at least 2 times a year, every year, god is using eclipses to send warnings and messages?
Problem is, the folks who should be paying attention, well they aren't.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Oldbear83
muddybrazos said:

Did Aleister Crowleys demon alien show himself during the eclipse with Cern setting off big bang explosions while Nasa fired rockets? I was inside my office so I missed the show
I understand Crowley appeared at a Five Guys, but was so annoyed he was expected to tip for self-service that he left without his Hellfire Combo.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
boognish_bear
Osodecentx
contrario said:

ShooterTX said:

contrario said:

Boom
God knows we're slow witted
4th and Inches
Taken in Waco today..

Beautiful
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Redbrickbear
Forest Bueller_bf
J.R. said:

Gosh it was truly remarkable . I live in Downtown Dallas in a high rise apt. The view was amazing. Dallas went totally dark! fascinating.
It was awesome wasn't it.

I'm in Arlington and got a totally unobstructed view with no clouds during the totality portion of the eclipse.

My brother in east Dallas, a bit east of White Rock Lake said that right before totality a dark cloud blocked the sun
and covered it until about 2 minutes after totality. He never saw totality.

Nearly everybody in the Metroplex got a good view of it though, it was great.
Forest Bueller_bf
Next total eclipse near here is August 12th, 2045.

If I am still alive and can drive, as I will be in my early 80's
I will make a trip far enough north to see it.
historian
Check out these photos & videos:

https://notthebee.com/article/i-gathered-a-collection-of-the-coolest-pics-and-videos-of-the-eclipse-for-ya
historian
"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above declared his handiwork."
Psalm 19:1
ShooterTX
Just remember that for contrario and his friends on the left... it's all about the "science".

LOL

I'm surprised that the leftist acolyte Greta wasn't there to contribute with another "How DARE you!" comment.
ShooterTX
historian
https://notthebee.com/takes/a-moment-of-profound-humility
BearN
I was in the path of totality in the Hill Country, but lots of cloud cover. At the time of totality, it did not go totally dark, it was more like the brightness when it's 3am with a full moon and cloud cover, where the cloud cover diffuses the light from the moon. The temperature dropped like a rock. The birds were going crazy as it seemed like sunset that normally takes an hour happened in seconds.
Porteroso
So what was the warning? If it was a sign from God? Who was warned?

Same thing as people saying the gays cause hurricanes. The Bible never says eclipses are warnings btw.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Porteroso said:

Same thing as people saying the gays cause hurricanes. The Bible never says eclipses are warnings btw.
You only needed to read the very first chapter of the Bible to know that eclipses can indeed be warnings:

"And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years" - Genesis 1:14
Porteroso
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Porteroso said:

You only needed to read the very first chapter of the Bible to know that eclipses can indeed be warnings:

"And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years" - Genesis 1:14

Are you going to answer my question? And isn't this the absence of light? Did you mean to post a different passage about darkness being warnings?
historian
Porteroso said:

Wrong. There are plenty of Bible verses, including prophecies, in which celestial signs are portents of divine action. The sun was darkened during the Crucifixion, which many people interpret as a total eclipse.

I've never heard anything the assertion that hurricanes ard caused by sexual perversion. On the other hand, I have heard some nutcase climate fascists blame hurricanes on specific presidents (the Bush's) because they didn't embrace a radical climate agenda.

My take on the eclipse, or any other stellar phenomena is more generic:

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above declared his handiwork." Psalm 19:1
BusyTarpDuster2017
Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Porteroso said:

Are you going to answer my question? And isn't this the absence of light? Did you mean to post a different passage about darkness being warnings?
I wasn't attempting to answer your question. Who knows if it's a warning or not? But to say that the Bible doesn't indicate that such celestial phenomena is ever used by God as signs (i.e. warnings) is wrong. The end times are marked by many different signs, including the sun "darkening". As Genesis 1:14 tells us, the lights in the heavens (i.e. the sun) are going to be used for those purposes. The withdrawing of the light from the sun ("absence of light") certainly qualifies.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.