Indiana court affirms the religious rights of those faiths that allow abortions.

661 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Realitybites
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"The U.S. Supreme Court 2014 decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby allowed religious, anti-abortion employers to refuse to cover contraception in their employee health insurance. But an extraordinary April 4 appellate court decision in Indiana turned the conservative Supreme Court's landmark Hobby Lobby decision into a winning argument for abortion rights.
An extraordinary court decision in Indiana turned the conservative Supreme Court's landmark Hobby Lobby decision into a winning argument for abortion rights.
The unanimous ruling from the three-judge panel, which found that the state's abortion ban burdens the religious beliefs of those whose faiths permit abortions, signals the possibility of a long overdue shift in the conservative bias of religious freedom jurisprudence. It also signals the emergence of a partial, albeit untested, argument for people needing an abortion in states that have banned it.

The Indiana case was brought in 2022 by five anonymous plaintiffs of faith and the group Jewish Hoosiers for Choice. They're seeking a religious exemption from the abortion ban Indiana enacted following the U.S. Supreme Court's reversal of Roe v. Wade that year. They said the ban violates their rights under the state's Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), which, like the federal law the owners of Hobby Lobby successfully relied on to avoid providing contraception coverage, protects religious objectors from laws that "substantially burden" their "sincerely held" religious beliefs." Amy Posner

For sane discussion without ad hominin attacks ( wishing thinking on my part but I hold out hope.)

Waco1947
whitetrash
This opens the door for any Aztecs living in Terre Haute to resume human sacrifice.
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

"The U.S. Supreme Court 2014 decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby allowed religious, anti-abortion employers to refuse to cover contraception in their employee health insurance. But an extraordinary April 4 appellate court decision in Indiana turned the conservative Supreme Court's landmark Hobby Lobby decision into a winning argument for abortion rights.
An extraordinary court decision in Indiana turned the conservative Supreme Court's landmark Hobby Lobby decision into a winning argument for abortion rights.
The unanimous ruling from the three-judge panel, which found that the state's abortion ban burdens the religious beliefs of those whose faiths permit abortions, signals the possibility of a long overdue shift in the conservative bias of religious freedom jurisprudence. It also signals the emergence of a partial, albeit untested, argument for people needing an abortion in states that have banned it.

The Indiana case was brought in 2022 by five anonymous plaintiffs of faith and the group Jewish Hoosiers for Choice. They're seeking a religious exemption from the abortion ban Indiana enacted following the U.S. Supreme Court's reversal of Roe v. Wade that year. They said the ban violates their rights under the state's Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), which, like the federal law the owners of Hobby Lobby successfully relied on to avoid providing contraception coverage, protects religious objectors from laws that "substantially burden" their "sincerely held" religious beliefs." Amy Posner

For sane discussion without ad hominin attacks ( wishing thinking on my part but I hold out hope.)

The irony is, you haven't had a sane discussion in years.
Waco1947
Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

The irony is, you haven't had a sane discussion in years. The irony is I said no ad hominin attacks yet you lead with one.
Waco1947
Waco1947
whitetrash said:

This opens the door for any Aztecs living in Terre Haute to resume human sacrifice.
An attempt at humor I guess but there are laws about murder.
Waco1947
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

The irony is, you haven't had a sane discussion in years. The irony is I said no ad hominin attacks yet you lead with one.

Just pointing out the facts. You aren't a good or fair debater. You have trouble supporting your arguments, and then don't answer difficult questions that expose the ridiculousness of your positions. It's kind of pointless debating with someone who is intellectually dishonest.
JXL
I have doubts that the plaintiffs in that case adequately showed a substantial burden on the exercise of their religious rights.
Harrison Bergeron
JXL said:

I have doubts that the plaintiffs in that case adequately showed a substantial burden on the exercise of their religious rights.
This seems like a really stupid legal decision.

Employers and health plans limit all kinds of coverages; heck, even down to eligible HSA / FSA items.

But now abortion is a religious practice? I mean if my religion allows bigamy does that mean the insurance now must provide coverage for two spouses?

The only way this works of being a leftist is formalized as a religion, but abortion is a sacrament to the left.
Redbrickbear
The Court is saying abortion is a Jewish religious value or intricate part of the Jewish religion?
Oldbear83
Harrison Bergeron: "abortion is a religious practice?"

Moloch got his day in court, I guess.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Harrison Bergeron
Oldbear83 said:

The Court said that.
Oldbear83
Harrison Bergeron said:

Oldbear83 said:

The Court said that.
Just goes to show anybody can look a fool, even some in judicial robes.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
4th and Inches
Waco1947 said:

whitetrash said:

An attempt at humor I guess but there are laws about murder.
but they might violate my constitutional right to practice it under my religion..

Seriously, great logical arguement.. even if I dont agree with it.

We will see how SCOTUS sees it.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Realitybites
Dismissing all religions as equal is one of the pillars of faith of the modern atheist/agnostic/progressive. I wonder if these people will be more outraged when the Jewish Hoosiers for Choice kill their babies or the Satanic Temple of Terre Haute holds a puppy sacrifice on Halloween.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.