Events leading up to World War I : Do you see any parallels with today?

1,171 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Redbrickbear
BearN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I came across this video and thought it raised some interesting questions.

The video doesn't say anything about parallels between then and now, that is just me thinking of the George Santayana quote, and asking what can we learn from history, and are we repeating some of the same mistakes now?

Prior to outbreak of War in 1914, there was an escalation of small events, there were alliances between small nations and super powers, and there were many backdoor attempts at de-escalation. It's a little long, but moves along at a good pace and is very well done, I thought.

Some of you are probably familiar with facts and theories in the video, but some either were new to me, or have been long forgotten.

Would be curious to hear others takes on this, first as pure history and how it all went down, and second, parallels with things we are seeing unfold now.
Redbrickbear
Absolutely,

Even scarier since our elites are so much more craven and out of touch than elites were in 1914

PS

Might sound a little strange but I personally don't think a great war will break out because of demographic issues.

"Germany's fertility rate was around 5 children per woman in 1900"

France was considered to have a very low fertility rate at the time of 2.6 in 1910

There were thus a lot of young men to throw into battle if it came to war. All the sides at the time felt they had lots of soldiers and could decide things on the battlefield

Today of course not a single North American, European, or East Asian country even has a replacement level fertility rate.

Our elites have to know that they just don't have enough young men to fight wars like they used to
Fre3dombear
Redbrickbear said:

Absolutely,

Even scarier since our elites are so much more craven and out of touch than elites were in 1914

PS

Might sound a little strange but I personally don't think a great war will break out because of demographic issues.

France was considered to have a very low fertility rate at the time of 2.6 in 1910

There were thus a lot of young men to throw into battle if it came to war. All the sides at the time felt they had lots of soldiers and could decide things on the battlefield

Today of course not a single North American, European, or East Asian country even has a replacement level fertility rate.

Our elites have to know that they just don't have enough young men to fight wars like they used to

China though has a massive male problem and the Middle East has no problem tossing men jnto the wood chipper
ron.reagan
I'm not convinced a series of small chain reactions can still cause another World War. There is almost nothing that couldn't be stopped by China and the US agreeing to stop it. As a consequence I think WW3 starts when China and US decide it is time
Redbrickbear
ron.reagan said:

I'm not convinced a series of small chain reactions can still cause another World War. There is almost nothing that couldn't be stopped by China and the US agreeing to stop it. As a consequence I think WW3 starts when China and US decide it is time

Agree

Not to mention that China is loosing 800,000 people a year (deaths over births) and that pace is accelerating.

They will have lost half of their entire population by the end of the century.

It's going to be hard for them to even maintain their country much less fight a war

By 2070 they will have more people over the age of 65 than they will in the entire rest of the population combined

KaiBear
BearN said:

The video doesn't say anything about parallels between then and now, that is just me thinking of the George Santayana quote, and asking what can we learn from history, and are we repeating some of the same mistakes now?

Prior to outbreak of War in 1914, there was an escalation of small events, there were alliances between small nations and super powers, and there were many backdoor attempts at de-escalation. It's a little long, but moves along at a good pace and is very well done, I thought.

Some of you are probably familiar with facts and theories in the video, but some either were new to me, or have been long forgotten.

Would be curious to hear others takes on this, first as pure history and how it all went down, and second, parallels with things we are seeing unfold now.

There are obvious parallels.

Not only involving US entrance into WW1 but US involvement in WW2 .

In fact I would suggest the parallels are even more striking striking with the actions of WW2.

As by 1938 the American people overwhelmingly believed fighting in WW1 was a mistake and wanted no part in doing it again.

Roosevelt had other ideas.
Harrison Bergeron
WWI would not have started if anyone realized where it would end.
KaiBear
Could say the exact same thing about WW2.

China goes communist.

Stalin dominates much of Eastern and southeastern Europe .

US buries over half a million men.
Redbrickbear
Fre3dombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Absolutely,

PS

China though has a massive male problem and the Middle East has no problem tossing men jnto the wood chipper

MENA region (Middle East and North Africa) is down to 2.5 fertility rate

They will soon be below replacement rate.

Iran for instance is already at 1.7

They are running out of kids as well….no kids…no soldiers

Redbrickbear
Harrison Bergeron
KaiBear said:

China goes communist.

Respectfully disagree.

World War II started over a legitimate threat to Europe. So granted, no one anticipated atomic bombs, but generally world leaders knew what the warfare would entail.

World War I started over paranoia and miscommunication. It started with cavalry charges on horse back and ended with massive artillery, airplanes, submarines, etc.

Everyone thought the war would be over by Christmas 1914.
Redbrickbear
Harrison Bergeron said:

KaiBear said:

China goes communist.

Respectfully disagree.

World War II started over a legitimate threat to Europe. So granted, no one anticipated atomic bombs...

That legitimate threat to Europe was the USSR working with Nazi Germany to annihilate Poland.

And yet for some strange reason Britain and France only declared war on Germany.

Another of the strange things about that war.

Osodecentx
KaiBear said:

BearN said:

As by 1938 the American people overwhelmingly believed fighting in WW1 was a mistake and wanted no part in doing it again.

Japan?
Harrison Bergeron
Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

BearN said:

Japan?
Exactly. Good ole FDR let Pearl Harbor happen so he had an excuse.

Eisenhower was right.
KaiBear
Harrison Bergeron said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

BearN said:

Japan?

Eisenhower was right.

Have never read of any evidence that FDR knew in advance .

And he didn't need Pearl Harbor to be attacked as it was totally expected that the Japanese would attack the Philippines and Guam in any case .

Redbrickbear
KaiBear said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

BearN said:

Japan?

Eisenhower was right.

Probably not but he was certainly hoping for some kind of provocation.

He wanted to get into WWII

The Japanese obliged him
Johnny Bear
Redbrickbear said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

KaiBear said:

China goes communist.

Respectfully disagree.

World War II started over a legitimate threat to Europe. So granted, no one anticipated atomic bombs...

That legitimate threat to Europe was the USSR working with Nazi Germany to annihilate Poland.

And yet for some strange reason Britain and France only declared war in Germany.

Another of the strange things about that war

At least in Britain there was at the time some debate about whether their commitment to Poland meant they should also declare war on the Soviet Union, but because they perceived Germany and the Nazis as the far greater direct threat to them they elected not to.

The fact that the Soviet Union, through colluding with Germany per the "Non Aggression Pact" the two countries signed shortly before they both invaded Poland, shares equal blame with the Nazis as far as green lighting what would become the start of WWII is a historic fact that is lost on a lot of people.
Harrison Bergeron
KaiBear said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

BearN said:

Japan?

Eisenhower was right.

And he didn't need Pearl Harbor to be attacked as it was totally expected that the Japanese would attack the Philippines and Guam in any case .

Been any open question for a while - decent amount of evidence he knew and allowed it so the American people would support entering the war. However, given the Orwellian nature of history and the Academy these days, pretty impossible to prove out even if evidence was there it would be Fauci'd.
ATL Bear
The only parallel is the danger of war machine nationalism. That's why some of us are concerned about keeping an eye on Putin. Crazy, I know.
ATL Bear
ron.reagan said:

Exactly. For over 50 years the small skirmishes were the circuit breakers for big wars. It's the reason defense alliances exist to even prevent those. China will be the circuit breaker, or failure of one with Russia. It is believed they are already pushing for a conclusion due to economic impact to them. They are being deft in playing both sides, but have always favored relative stability to chaos. China believes they can compete head to head with us for dominance without significant military conflict. They know that military and currency are our biggest advantages.
Porteroso
You guys are in the weeds. The warmongers have been planning wars for centuries. The current wars are economic. Wars always were, but with modern finances they can be fought over the dollar.

Population growth rate is a problem for a new generation, though if you could convince America to have 3 child households you would sure win a few next gen fights.

Is it that hard? Ivanka touched on a big theme, maternity/paternity leave.

It is only a 4 or 8 year cycle for the GOP to convince everyone reproduction is the next big war. And it is.

Today's wars are fought over money and oil, Russia excepted, but tomorrow's will be to control the future of the planet.
Osodecentx
Guns of August
Sam Lowry
Harrison Bergeron said:

KaiBear said:

China goes communist.

World War I started over paranoia and miscommunication.
This, and complacency in the belief that it would never happen. Two very definite parallels with today.
Harrison Bergeron
Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

KaiBear said:

China goes communist.

This, and complacency in the belief that it would never happen. Two very definite parallels with today.
100%. Blanking on the name, but there was a famous book that came out I believe around 1912-13 that basically postulated war would never occur again because Europe was too financially intertwined, and many believed this to be accurate. Basically, no one would go to war because it would be economically disastrous. Unfortunately for world history, Europe happened to be led by a group of particularly incompetent monarchs in 1914 especially in Germany and Russia.
Redbrickbear
Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

KaiBear said:

China goes communist.

100%. Blanking on the name, but there was a famous book that came out I believe around 1912-13 that basically postulated war would never occur again because Europe was too financially intertwined, and many believed this to be accurate. Basically, no one would go to war because it would be economically disastrous. Unfortunately for world history, Europe happened to be led by a group of particularly incompetent monarchs in 1914 especially in Germany and Russia.

Yea, there was a influential school of though that Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Russia should form an alliance.

This would have been interesting...almost certainly had it continued it would have kept Eastern Europe a peace.

Could have been Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Russia vs UK, France, Ottoman Empire....a strategic truce

[The country's third and last emperor, Wilhelm II, abandoned Bismarck's balance of power policies in favor of expansionism. He fired the "Iron Chancellor" and failed to renew the Reinsurance Treaty with Russia that had guaranteed neutrality in case either side would engage in a war with a third party. Like Hitler later, Wilhelm favored an alliance with Britain instead to prepare for a civilization struggle he foresaw between Teutons and Slavs...

These theories informed the ethnic and foreign policies of Adolf Hitler's National Socialists. Hitler saw little value in urban industry and trade which would have required a maritime orientation. Rather he foresaw the acquisition of vast agricultural lands in Eastern Europe to satisfy the needs of an autarkic and expansive Germany. The reintegration of ethnic Germans living there a policy called Heim ins Reich was, for the Nazis, not the end goal, as it had been for many pan-Germanists during the interwar period, but the beginning of a struggle for Eurasian domination that should have produced a Greater German Empire stretching from the Netherlands into the Ural Mountains.]
Sam Lowry
Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

KaiBear said:

China goes communist.

The Great Illusion?
Realitybites
In addition to the political aspects of it, none of the elites fully grasped how deadly the technological advances since the wars of the 1800s would be when deployed to on the battlefield. Some of that exists today with democrat/neocon discussions about "winnable" and "limited" nuclear weapon use and the inability to grasp the extent to which drone warfare and hypersonic missiles have affected the battlespace.
Redbrickbear
Realitybites said:

In addition to the political aspects of it, none of the elites fully grasped how deadly the technological advances since the wars of the 1800s would be when deployed to on the battlefield…

They should have

They had their military observers watching both sides of the America war in 1861…and the tech was already causing mass casualties.

And then there was the Franco-Prussian war of 1870
Redbrickbear
Harrison Bergeron
Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

KaiBear said:

China goes communist.

The Great Illusion?

Thanks - that's it.
Redbrickbear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.