Harrison Butker makes a great speech.....

10,509 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by PacificBear
Mitch Blood Green
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jack Bauer said:

I'm not sure that says what they believe it says.

Without seeing the numbers, there are married non mothers, single women etc. who we don't know what they think.
Malbec
Mitch Blood Green said:

Jack Bauer said:

I'm not sure that says what they believe it says.

Without seeing the numbers, there are married non mothers, single women etc. who we don't know what they think.

What?
Jack Bauer
Why do speakers get so political at graduation....oh wait, this speech is awesome!

Getting lectured by a guy who tells them "you ain't black" if they don't vote for him.

Redbrickbear
TXBEAR_bf
Used to love Pearl Jam, but Eddie had made so many bone head comments over the years that I just can't get excited about them anymore. To the Twitter post, there are so many other issues bigger than this. Nobody with decent education gives a crap about celebrities views on social issues.
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
Fre3dombear
Jack Bauer said:

Why do speakers get so political at graduation....oh wait, this speech is awesome!

Getting lectured by a guy who tells them "you ain't black" if they don't vote for him.

#inspire
Waco1947
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Jack Bauer said:

Waco1947 said:

CammoTX said:

Waco1947 said:

Don't devalue the left with "hurt feelings ". There is a legitimate concern on the left with putting women in the kitchen. The Alamaba Senate Katie Britt literally was in a kitchen. It's 2024 women's right are human rights.

lol. Perhaps Senator Britt chose to be there! The horror!
She chose to be there simply proves my point - according to the right "Women belong in the kitchen".

You are so full of **** - where does the right say that?
leave him alone. He still thinks the German's bombed Pearl Harbor
Have some class. Quit with the name calling. Block me. whack
Waco1947 ,la
Waco1947
Your answer?
Waco1947
CammoTX said:

Waco1947 said:

Don't devalue the left with "hurt feelings ". There is a legitimate concern on the left with putting women in the kitchen. The Alabama Senate Katie Britt literally was in a kitchen. It's 2024 women's right are human rights. You ignore my point. have some class. quit with the name calling. Block me.

Johnny Bear
Jack Bauer said:

When you hear this kind of race card BS it's easy to understand why so many in the black community continue to needlessly feel bitter, angry, and hopeless all of the time.
LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Jack Bauer said:

Waco1947 said:

CammoTX said:

Waco1947 said:

Don't devalue the left with "hurt feelings ". There is a legitimate concern on the left with putting women in the kitchen. The Alamaba Senate Katie Britt literally was in a kitchen. It's 2024 women's right are human rights.

She chose to be there simply proves my point - according to the right "Women belong in the kitchen".

I didn't turn off the three stooges. What makes you think I'd block you? Yak yak yak whooooo
GrowlTowel
Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Jack Bauer said:

Waco1947 said:

CammoTX said:

Waco1947 said:

Irony much? Get educated.
GrowlTowel
Waco1947 said:

Your answer?

Mirror time?
Forest Bueller_bf
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Osodecentx said:

From NR:

The first thing to say about this is that Butker is a traditionalist Catholic giving a speech to traditionalist Catholic students graduating from a traditionalist Catholic school. Should we be surprised he sounded like a traditionalist Catholic?
This.

What do they expect.

Going to the Southern Baptist Convention and a pride parade breaks out.

Youth pastor day?
Hahahaha.

Ok that was funny.
Waco1947
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Jack Bauer said:

Waco1947 said:

CammoTX said:

Waco1947 said:

Have some class. Quit with the name calling or Block me
I didn't turn off the three stooges. What makes you think I'd block you? Yak yak yak whooooo
LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Jack Bauer said:

Waco1947 said:

CammoTX said:

Waco1947 said:

Mmm, nah.

In the same way I enjoyed watching the stooges and Leslie Nelson movies, I enjoy reading your stuff.
quash
muddybrazos said:

and Libs heads explode

He talks about the importance of fathers & the nuclear family and the NFL who protects criminals comes out to denounce him. Typical reaction from the left and the degenerates that are running society these days.

Don't worry, we'll soon have a unified Reich
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Johnny Bear
quash said:

muddybrazos said:

and Libs heads explode

He talks about the importance of fathers & the nuclear family and the NFL who protects criminals comes out to denounce him. Typical reaction from the left and the degenerates that are running society these days.

Don't worry, we'll soon have a unified Reich

In other words, you think Biden is going to get re-elected(?).
FLBear5630
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

... and it is through our marriage that, Lord willing, we will both attain salvation.

Oof.

Never mind the other stuff, this is probably the worst of what he said - if it means what it appears to mean. If it doesn't, then perhaps a Catholic here can explain what he meant by this.

Marriage is a Sacrament, right there with Baptism, Communion, Holy Order, Reconciliation, Last Rites...

Catholic Church takes Sacraments very seriously. Marriage is an agreement between man, women and God to live Christian life. Marriage is not disposable, requires work and diligence That is how I read it as a Catholic.
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

... and it is through our marriage that, Lord willing, we will both attain salvation.

Oof.

Never mind the other stuff, this is probably the worst of what he said - if it means what it appears to mean. If it doesn't, then perhaps a Catholic here can explain what he meant by this.

Marriage is a Sacrament, right there with Baptism, Communion, Holy Order, Reconciliation, Last Rites...

Catholic Church takes Sacraments very seriously. Marriage is an agreement between man, women and God to live Christian life. Marriage is not disposable, requires work and diligence That is how I read it as a Catholic.

BusyTarpDuster2017
FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Oof.

But what does that have to do with salvation?
Redbrickbear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Oof.

Not to make this a theology thread....

But it would seem that in Catholic teaching the sacraments are necessary for salvation.

Vs a more Protestant theological idea that there are no sacraments or that if there are sacraments they are not necessary to salvation.

"the sacraments confers the grace they signify. They are efficacious" (CCC 1127) "The Church affirms that for believers the sacraments of the New Covenant are necessary for salvation." (CCC 1129)

[Yes, the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) 1129 states that the sacraments of the New Covenant are necessary for salvation. The sacraments are "powers that come forth" from the Body of Christ, and they communicate Christ's Holy Spirit to his members. The sacraments also unite people to God. The three sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Orders confer a sacramental character or "seal" that makes the Christian a member of the Church and shares in Christ's priesthood]
FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Oof.

But it would seem that in Catholic teaching the sacraments are necessary for salvation.

Vs a more Protestant theological idea that there are no sacraments or that if there are sacraments they are not necessary to salvation.

"the sacraments confers the grace they signify. They are efficacious" (CCC 1127) "The Church affirms that for believers the sacraments of the New Covenant are necessary for salvation." (CCC 1129)

[Yes, the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) 1129 states that the sacraments of the New Covenant are necessary for salvation. The sacraments are "powers that come forth" from the Body of Christ, and they communicate Christ's Holy Spirit to his members. The sacraments also unite people to God. The three sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Orders confer a sacramental character or "seal" that makes the Christian a member of the Church and shares in Christ's priesthood]

Through the Sacraments we are closer to God. They are tools God gave us to bring us closer. I try to not get into the required for salvation.

Wife was Lutheran, going through Lutheran Pastor premarital conversation was painful. He kept screaming Grace comes down from.God, not up from our acts.... He had this thing about Dirty Rags,.
Jack Bauer
Wow, so much wrong with this article.....maybe all of it?

BusyTarpDuster2017
Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Oof.

Aside from the fact that the belief that sacraments like marriage are necessary for salvation is patently unbiblical, it also doesn't make any sense - why then would Catholics require their priests to be celibate, which would in effect make them unsaved?
BusyTarpDuster2017
FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Oof.

Through the Sacraments we are closer to God. They are tools God gave us to bring us closer. I try to not get into the required for salvation.

Wife was Lutheran, going through Lutheran Pastor premarital conversation was painful. He kept screaming Grace comes down from.God, not up from our acts.... He had this thing about Dirty Rags,.
"I try to not get into the required for salvation" - I don't understand this. It would seem to be the most important question, and the whole reason for having the religion in the first place. Shouldn't you strive for clarity over something so eternally vital, for the sake of others, as well as your own?
FLBear5630
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Oof.

Aside from the fact that the belief that sacraments like marriage are necessary for salvation is patently unbiblical, it also doesn't make any sense - why then would Catholics require their priests to be celibate, which would in effect make them unsaved?

Priest receive Holy Orders. Married men cannot. The Sacraments is not a check list you knock off like a Scout Badge. No one is arguing whether you believe in them, we are sure you don't. As this is a Baylor Univ site, I do not think it would be respectful to argue the validity. Just offering context for discussion.

The thread is about a Catholic Man referencing Catholic Sacraments at a private Catholic school commencement, which i am sure included a Mass.
FLBear5630
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

"I try to not get into the required for salvation" - I don't understand this. It would seem to be the most important question, and the whole reason for having the religion in the first place. Shouldn't you strive for clarity over something so eternally vital, for the sake of others, as well as your own?

It is a Baylor message Board, why would I fight the Reformation here? It is a given most on here do not agree with the Catholic Church. Want to transfer over to the Boston College site? I am sure there are many there that will give you all you want on this subject.
BusyTarpDuster2017
FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Oof.

Priest receive Holy Orders. Married men cannot. The Sacraments is not a check list you knock off like a Scout Badge. No one is arguing whether you believe in them, we are sure you don't. As this is a Baylor Univ site, I do not think it would be respectful to argue the validity. Just offering context for discussion.

The thread is about a Catholic Man referencing Catholic Sacraments at a private Catholic school commencement, which i am sure included a Mass.
Don't worry about what is "respectful", worry about what is true. Especially concerning something eternally vital like salvation. Would you hold back information that could save someone's soul? Wouldn't you want to make sure you get it right yourself, for your own soul's sake?

Now, concerning what you said here - this also doesn't make sense. If married men can not receive "Holy Orders" then how did Peter receive them as the first Pope (as Catholics believe) since he was married?
Redbrickbear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Oof.

Don't know…eastern Catholic Priests can in fact marry and do so.

For practical matters it looks like the Latin Church stopped Priests from marrying. Or had them "marry" the Church

"The requirement of celibacy is not dogma; it is an ecclesiastical law that was adopted in the Middle Ages because Rome was worried that clerics' children would inherit church property and create dynasties."

[Theologically, the Roman Catholic Church teaches that priesthood is a ministry conformed to the life and work of Jesus Christ. Priests as sacramental ministers act in persona Christi ('in the mask of Christ'). Thus the life of the priest conforms, the church believes, to the chastity of Christ himself. The sacrifice of married life is for the "sake of the Kingdom" (Luke 18:2830,[11] Matthew 19:2730),[12] and to follow the example of Jesus Christ in being "married" to the church, viewed by Catholicism and many Christian traditions as the "Bride of Christ" (following Ephesians 5:2533[13] and Revelation 21:9,[14] together with the spousal imagery at Mark 2:1920;[15] cf. Matthew 9:1415).]
FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Oof.

For practical matters it looks like the Latin Church stopped Priests from marrying. Or had them "marry" the Church

"The requirement of celibacy is not dogma; it is an ecclesiastical law that was adopted in the Middle Ages because Rome was worried that clerics' children would inherit church property and create dynasties."

[Theologically, the Roman Catholic Church teaches that priesthood is a ministry conformed to the life and work of Jesus Christ. Priests as sacramental ministers act in persona Christi ('in the mask of Christ'). Thus the life of the priest conforms, the church believes, to the chastity of Christ himself. The sacrifice of married life is for the "sake of the Kingdom" (Luke 18:2830,[11] Matthew 19:2730),[12] and to follow the example of Jesus Christ in being "married" to the church, viewed by Catholicism and many Christian traditions as the "Bride of Christ" (following Ephesians 5:2533[13] and Revelation 21:9,[14] together with the spousal imagery at Mark 2:1920;[15] cf. Matthew 9:1415).]

Got it, not a fan.

If you want to be a Catholic Priest, you will be celibate. You will follow Rome's rules. Want to follow the rules of the Patriarch of Constantinople, go Orthodox. Want to follow Southern Baptist Convention, go to Baylor. All believe in God and Christ. Will Catholics or Baptists go to Hell because they went to the Church across the Street??

Maybe your Hell will be finding out that everyone went to Heaven, even non-believers. Mine will be that Heaven IS run by a combination of Auditors and Evangelicals?
Jack Bauer
He's got a point..

Maybe if you work 30 more hours in the week that will make you feel better?

Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Oof.

Want to follow Southern Baptist Convention, go to Baylor.

Baylor (or at least the leadership) is definitely NOT Southern Baptist anymore.

One might even argue they are not particularly Baptist at all anymore.

Any kind of speech that even touch on sexual-cultural themes of this nature would be extreme controversial to the faculty and leadership…and probably to a good number of our big urban metro students
FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Oof.

Any kind of speech that even touch on sexual-cultural themes of this nature would be extreme controversial to the faculty and leadership…and probably to a good number of our big urban metro students
Got to know your Audience. I would imagine Benedictine is a pretty orthodox school, St Benedict was not exactly a "anything goes" guy.

Benedictine is orthodox and the speech was probably better received there then a similar one at Baylor according to some that know the Baptist better than me. But, even in an Orthodox University some of it hit nerves.

He stepped on it in the highest calling Homemaker comment, as Nuns who have given their life to serving others were not happy about that. If you have ever gone to a Mother's Day service at a convent, it is a deeply moving and contemplating service. Got to go to one in Amarillo when working out there. I can see how that would not go over well. So, like all places. Some of the "conservative" is good, some not so much if it hits
the wrong nerve.

Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Oof.

Got to know your Audience. I would imagine Benedictine is a pretty orthodox school, St Benedict was not exactly a "anything goes" guy…

He stepped on it in the highest calling Homemaker comment, as Nuns who have given their life to serving others were not happy about that.

There seems to be some inter-Catholic baseball going on.

The College used to be more liberal but has now become more Conservative.

And the Nuns (much like most of the nuns in post-1960s ) are pretty liberal and pretty old.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.