Build the high speed rail

2,816 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by FLBear5630
Tempus Edax Rerum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-05-21/texas-high-speed-rail-plan-lurches-back-to-life-with-amtrak-s-help

Texas legislators are dumb for not supporting this rail.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Tempus Edax Rerum said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-05-21/texas-high-speed-rail-plan-lurches-back-to-life-with-amtrak-s-help

High speed rail is a loser, Milli. Not enough commuters to sustain it and will always have to be subsidized by the taxpayers. The taxpayers have enough on their shoulders. You should ask Gavin Newsom of California about high speed rail.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Tempus Edax Rerum
Texas can't build enough roads to move the population growth. Regulations are the cost killer in CA. Regulation reform is desperately needed to give high speed rail the chance it deserves.
ABC BEAR
If there were any way to do this successfully the Union Pacific, Burlington Northern, Norfolk Southern, etc. would be doing it
muddybrazos
Why would I want to rail to Houston or Dallas then not have a car there? That will never make sense to me unless I was just there like a day or two to stay in one part of town. Even then I would rather just drive.
Harrison Bergeron
How's the California high speed rail going?
Tempus Edax Rerum
muddybrazos said:

Why would I want to rail to Houston or Dallas then not have a car there? That will never make sense to me unless I was just there like a day or two to stay in one part of town. Even then I would rather just drive.
If you fly from Dallas to Houston, how exactly do you get around? I am confused.
muddybrazos
Tempus Edax Rerum said:

muddybrazos said:

If you fly from Dallas to Houston, how exactly do you get around? I am confused.
you uber or rent but Id rather just drive.
Tempus Edax Rerum
Harrison Bergeron said:

The CA high speed rail is entirely self-inflicted on two fronts, one is the environmental nonsense, two is the continual political interference by local politicians that can stop the project if the rail doesn't come through their town. Europe doesn't have either problem. Somehow they seem to be able to drill through the Alps lay high speed rail, run high speed rail under the English Channel, run high speed rail from Denmark to Sweden for far less cost than we can, but Texas can't figure out how to run a line on flat land between Houston and Dallas? Absurd. Just a bunch of stupid, conversative republicans in Texas that block it.
Redbrickbear
Tempus Edax Rerum said:

muddybrazos said:

I love high speed rail and think rail is great for a million reasons.

But it's just not that workable in the USA (especially not Texas)

We would have needed to have done it 70-80 years ago and have built up deep commuter lines like in the UK or Germany.

And we would have needed Henry Ford to have never come along.

Texans just don't have the population density or the non-car culture to make it work

[It's interesting to note that Texas' population density is much lower, though, as the UK fits 65 million people into 2.5 less space than Texas' 29 million. Similarly, Texas is bigger than Spain, Iraq, and Japan, though France is fairly comparable in size.]

[Nearly one-third of British households have no car, compared to only 8% percent of American households. In contrast, almost 60% of the US sample households have two or more cars.]
EatMoreSalmon
If the train is TGV speed, you could go from Dallas to Houston in about an hour and a half allowing for in town slow down.
If a train is the speed of the older Japanese rail, you could get to Houston in a little over an hour.
Either way, business travelers could be closer to their downtown area destination as well.
Two major downsides are the large amount of land needed and train + roadbed maintenance. High speed rail has very different rail and car truck requirements than freight rails.
Tempus Edax Rerum
Redbrickbear said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

muddybrazos said:

I love high speed rail and think rail is great for a million reasons.

But it's just not that workable in the USA (especially not Texas)

We would have needed to have done it 70-80 years ago and have built up deep commuter lines like in the UK or Germany.

And we would have needed Henry Ford to have never come along.

Texans just don't have the population density or the non-car culture to make it work

[It's interesting to note that Texas' population density is much lower, though, as the UK fits 65 million people into 2.5 less space than Texas' 29 million. Similarly, Texas is bigger than Spain, Iraq, and Japan, though France is fairly comparable in size.]

[Nearly one-third of British households have no car, compared to only 8% percent of American households. In contrast, almost 60% of the US sample households have two or more cars.]
We aren't building high speed rail to El Paso, Brownsville and Amarillo so the size comparison doesn't hold water, imo. The population density along the I-35 corridor is only going to increase. It should be built down the I-35 corridor from DFW to San Antonio and to Houston. The freeways are death traps and getting worse every year.
FLBear5630
Tempus Edax Rerum said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

The CA high speed rail is entirely self-inflicted on two fronts, one is the environmental nonsense, two is the continual political interference by local politicians that can stop the project if the rail doesn't come through their town. Europe doesn't have either problem. Somehow they seem to be able to drill through the Alps lay high speed rail, run high speed rail under the English Channel, run high speed rail from Denmark to Sweden for far less cost than we can, but Texas can't figure out how to run a line on flat land between Houston and Dallas? Absurd. Just a bunch of stupid, conversative republicans in Texas that block it.

The European rail is Intercity and Nationally sponsored. If the Feds want to set up a system, pay for it and maintain it. Have at it. It will need a dedicated funding source.

Keep in mind right of way in Europe has been in place forever. The Europeans invested in passenger rail, not freight. Euro freight sucks. The US invested in freight.
It is really not a fair comparison.

I have no issue, Govt will subsidize that is the reality of rail. No rail sustains itself.
Realitybites
Tempus Edax Rerum said:

The high speed rail system I rode in Florida works incredibly well, the trains were clean and comfortable, and moving at 100-125 mph with no traffic gets you there really quickly.

Funny story, when I was on that as it accelerated to top speed my phone lost its mind. Turns out I hadn't closed out my GPS app, which has a speed alert. To silence nusance alerts I had dialed it up to like 80, but 125 was way over that.

Particularly with all the problems at the airlines lately, another option for long distance travel is good.
Whiskey Pete
Do we really need a high speed rail from Dallas to Houston?

After all, this is the 21st Century in the age of the internet and mobile technology - Collaborative work space, email, the cloud, docusign, zoom meetings, etc...

I would imagine the need to travel Dallas to Houston and back is a lot less now than even just 30 years ago.
ScottS
What if instead of high speed rail it was switched to a high speed log ride?
4th and Inches
ScottS said:

What if instead of high speed rail it was switched to a high speed log ride?
bob sped!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

The European rail is Intercity and Nationally sponsored. If the Feds want to set up a system, pay for it and maintain it. Have at it. It will need a dedicated funding source.

Keep in mind right of way in Europe has been in place forever. The Europeans invested in passenger rail, not freight. Euro freight sucks. The US invested in freight.
It is really not a fair comparison.

I have no issue, Govt will subsidize that is the reality of rail. No rail sustains itself.

Let's also not forget the Europeans did that because of war.

Germany for instance developed a massive rail network to move troops quickly from one part of the country to the other because they fought two front wars on several occasions.

France and others did the same.

The U.S. did this with our interstate highway system under Eisenhower.

I can imagine the cost in 2024 money to build up rail in America what Germany did from 1890-1945

Map of German passenger rail

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Germany

Realitybites
The way Houston and San Antonio are these days, when they build that wall I'm not sure if it should go north or south of those two cities.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
The population in the triangle is going to continue to increase. Due to the ease of getting transportation in the arrival cities (Uber, lyft, internet resources) , Texans are more ready now than ever before to hop on a train rather than drive to the triangle cities.

The train should be funded in a way that taxpayers don't have to long term foot the bill, and the burden should fall on the patrons.

Business (other than Southwest) would love it, would make trips much easier on their staff and wallets.

I'd like to see it get built, Just my two cents.
Redbrickbear
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

The population in the triangle is going to continue to increase..

I certainly agree that the Texas triangle (like Southern Californian or the DC-Boston corridor) might one day have the population density for rail and be similar to the density you see in rail heavy West Europe and East Asia

But two questions.

1. How do you get Texans (and Americans) to no longer be car people? 30% of Brits and 30% of Japanese don't even own a car. Its 8% of Americans

Most other British and Japanese families own only 1 vehicle. 60% of Americans own 2 or MORE cars

2. When East Asians and West Europeans built up their deep system of rail lines the price of land and labor was far less….and they did it with MASSIVE government subsidies…including just out right taking some peoples land to make it happen because of war planning and real wars.

How do we build it in 2024 at a reasonable cost?
FLBear5630

The population in the triangle is going to continue to increase. Due to the ease of getting transportation in the arrival cities (Uber, lyft, internet resources) , Texans are more ready now than ever before to hop on a train rather than drive to the triangle cities.

The train should be funded in a way that taxpayers don't have to long term foot the bill, and the burden should fall on the patrons.

Business (other than Southwest) would love it, would make trips much easier on their staff and wallets.

I know this always sounds good in principle. It is totally unrealistic and not going to happen. The infrastructure cost is too high to make it profitable. You could never get the Capital raised and the OM&A would kill it.

The only way Passenger rail becomes a reality is through Govt subsidy, best case is dedicated funding source. Either it is a priority or it isn't. Best case I have seen is tying toll roads and transit together, using the Fed capital programs combined with tolling's ability to pay OM&A in the future. Unless the Fed pays down the capital, rail is a pipedream. Govt subsidy is a requirement.
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

I know this always sounds good in principle. It is totally unrealistic and not going to happen. The infrastructure cost is too high to make it profitable. You could never get the Capital raised and the OM&A would kill it.

The only way Passenger rail becomes a reality is through Govt subsidy, best case is dedicated funding source. Either it is a priority or it isn't. Best case I have seen is tying toll roads and transit together, using the Fed capital programs combined with tolling's ability to pay OM&A in the future. Unless the Fed pays down the capital, rail is a pipedream. Govt subsidy is a requirement.

Along with the power of Eminent Domain and probably a massive increase in taxes on new vehicles and gas to drive Americans to the rail lines and away from cars
Harrison Bergeron
100%.

I love the idea of high speed rail. Who does not. I took low-speed Amtrak between Providence and NYC, and it was easy, inexpensive, and a great experience.

But to try and build a new system today as big as in Texas (as California has shown) is not practical.

We could start today, and our grandchildren would never see it.
FLBear5630
Harrison Bergeron said:

100%.

I love the idea of high speed rail. Who does not. I took low-speed Amtrak between Providence and NYC, and it was easy, inexpensive, and a great experience.

But to try and build a new system today as big as in Texas (as California has shown) is not practical.

Could only be done as a National program similar to the Interstate. Keep in mind we are talking Intercity, not local service. Local service is another animal. Freight corridors are probably not in the right locations, so dedicated ROW (voluntary sale or eminent domain,) is needed.

Keep in mind if routes like LA to Vegas that make sense can't show profitability, it will be tough to impossible for Nationwide. The viable routes already have service- NE Corridor, Mil-Chi, Pacific coast. They don't turn profit, but don't lose their ass either. Gonna be tough to identify more profitable route.
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

100%.

Could only be done as a National program similar to the Interstate.

Honestly if the Feds are just gonna print money into infinity forever then lets actually build something cool with all that cash.

A big connected high speed rail line like the 1950s interstate roads would be cool.

Would also really help middle class and working class people who don't want to buy cars or afford air travel.

Imagine being able to get on a train in Houston and be in LA within 10hrs

Dallas to Kansas City in 3.5hrs

Or leave Dallas and be in NYC in 9hrs

NYC to Los Angeles - 4000 km / would only take 17hrs by high speed rail
Adriacus Peratuun
Besides the lack of population density and the vast differences in infrastructure, ask:

Germans what they think of DB
Spanish what they think of Renfe
Brits what they think of the various rail companies
Italians what they think of Italo & Trenitalia

They use them but simultaneously hate on them constantly.
FLBear5630
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Besides the lack of population density and the vast differences in infrastructure, ask:

I like the Danish system. Took it to Sweden from Copenhagen. It was a nice ride. My wife took it all over Denmark while I was working. She loved it. I asked several Danes what they thought of the taxes to support it. They said as long as the quality and operations are there in transportation, health, and education they have no problem paying. If the quality stops, they will move to stop paying. Made sense to me. I liked Denmark, but they use economics. If you are rich, you can drive, park, etc... just pay the fee.
Adriacus Peratuun
FLBear5630 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

I like the Danish system. Took it to Sweden from Copenhagen. It was a nice ride. My wife took it all over Denmark while I was working. She loved it. I asked several Danes what they thought of the taxes to support it. They said as long as the quality and operations are there in transportation, health, and education they have no problem paying. If the quality stops, they will move to stop paying. Made sense to me. I liked Denmark, but they use economics. If you are rich, you can drive, park, etc... just pay the fee.

The opinions definitely vary by country. I used regional rail in Denmark and it was fine. OBB in Austria is universally loved. But the bigger rail systems seem to generate more bad feelings. A large part of that is the huge variation in quality and speed of the train types but a significant part is lessening reliability. And as the systems are starting to move to more modern pricing models with greater price variances the animosity seems to be growing exponentially.
FLBear5630
Adriacus Peratuun said:

FLBear5630 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

The opinions definitely vary by country. I used regional rail in Denmark and it was fine. OBB in Austria is universally loved. But the bigger rail systems seem to generate more bad feelings. A large part of that is the huge variation in quality and speed of the train types but a significant part is lessening reliability. And as the systems are starting to move to more modern pricing models with greater price variances the animosity seems to be growing exponentially.

I used OBB throughout Germany and Austria, ICE 1st class is way to go. Huge difference between ICE and others. But like I said, that is where they invested. US invested in freight. Our freight system is among best in world.
Realitybites
But two questions.

1. How do you get Texans (and Americans) to no longer be car people? 30% of Brits and 30% of Japanese don't even own a car. Its 8% of Americans

Already happening. With the cost of gas at $3-$4 a gallon, with car insurance premiums perpetually on the rise, and with the cost of car parts and repairs up (not to mention the cost of a replacement vehicle if you need one) we're about a ten years away from catching up.
Tempus Edax Rerum
It would totally need Federal funding to get done. Also would need to somehow get rid of the long environmental review delays and don't let state and local politicians have much, if any say, where the line is laid and where it stops. With the way people drive way too fast on North Central and other freeways in Texas I'd welcome the idea of taking a train and not have some idiot speeders kill me on the freeway.
Fre3dombear
Tempus Edax Rerum said:

But the environment.

Democrats marxists made progress impossible (if this was even progress which I doubt but likely good on them for making it impossible)
FLBear5630
Fre3dombear said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

But the environment.

Democrats marxists made progress impossible (if this was even progress which I doubt but likely good on them for making it impossible)

The process is tedious. Texas is better than many places, you got room. I love how TxDOT and toll Authorities build roads and ramps there. Other States much worse.
Redbrickbear
Relevant

Trains and bikes are great to society

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.