Trump challenges Biden to a cognitive test but confuses the name of the doctor who te

1,723 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by 4th and Inches
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trump challenges Biden to a cognitive test but confuses the name of the doctor who tested him

https://apnews.com/article/trump-mental-acuity-gaffe-biden-ronny-jackson-0d45b6d89ae295b690f5ad12ca0bd38a

WASHINGTON (AP) Donald Trump on Saturday night suggested President Joe Biden"should have to take a cognitive test," only to confuse who administered the test to him in the next sentence.
The former president and presumptive Republican nominee referred to Texas Republican Rep. Ronny Jackson, who was the White House physician for part of his presidency, as "Ronny Johnson." The moment came as Trump was questioning Biden's mental acuity, something he often does on the campaign trail and social media.
"He doesn't even know what the word 'inflation' means. I think he should take a cognitive test like I did," the former president said of Biden during a speech at a convention of Turning Point Action in Detroit.
Seconds later, he continued, "Doc Ronny Johnson. Does everyone know Ronny Johnson, congressman from Texas? He was the White House doctor, and he said I was the healthiest president, he feels, in history, so I liked him very much indeed immediately."
ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson was elected to Congress in 2021 and is one of Trump's most vociferous defenders on Capitol Hill.
Trump, who turned 78 on Friday, has made questioning whether the 81-year-old Biden is up for a second term a centerpiece of his campaign. But online critics quickly seized on his Saturday night gaffe, with the Biden campaign which has long fought off criticism about the Democratic president's verbal missteps posting a clip of the moment minutes later.

Trump took the cognitive test in 2018 at his own request, Jackson told reporters at the time. The exam is designed to detect early signs of memory loss and other mild cognitive impairment.

The Montreal Cognitive Assessment that Trump took includes remembering a list of spoken words; listening to a list of random numbers and repeating them backward; naming as many words that begin with, say, the letter F as possible within a minute; accurately drawing a cube; and describing concrete ways that two objects like a train and a bicycle are alike.

Trump later said that he had to remember and accurately recite a list of words in order: "Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV."

During the same speech in Detroit, Trump also referenced a video clip widely circulated online in Republican circles where Biden is seen during the recently concluded Group of Seven summit in Italy watching skydivers land with flags from different nations.

A cropped version of the video shows Biden stepping away from the leaders, turning his back and walking in the other direction. He flashes a thumbs-up but it's not clear who he is gesturing to. A more complete angle of the same scene, however, shows that the president had turned to face a skydiver who has landed.
Trump nonetheless seized on the video clip, falsely describing Biden turning around "to look at trees," drawing laughter and hoots from the crowd.

The Biden campaign issued a statement dismissing the clip as misleadingly cropped and accusing those disseminating it as "tampering with the video to make up lies."
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
Whiskey Pete
TexasScientist said:

Trump challenges Biden to a cognitive test but confuses the name of the doctor who tested him

https://apnews.com/article/trump-mental-acuity-gaffe-biden-ronny-jackson-0d45b6d89ae295b690f5ad12ca0bd38a

WASHINGTON (AP) Donald Trump on Saturday night suggested President Joe Biden"should have to take a cognitive test," only to confuse who administered the test to him in the next sentence.
The former president and presumptive Republican nominee referred to Texas Republican Rep. Ronny Jackson, who was the White House physician for part of his presidency, as "Ronny Johnson." The moment came as Trump was questioning Biden's mental acuity, something he often does on the campaign trail and social media.
"He doesn't even know what the word 'inflation' means. I think he should take a cognitive test like I did," the former president said of Biden during a speech at a convention of Turning Point Action in Detroit.
Seconds later, he continued, "Doc Ronny Johnson. Does everyone know Ronny Johnson, congressman from Texas? He was the White House doctor, and he said I was the healthiest president, he feels, in history, so I liked him very much indeed immediately."
ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson was elected to Congress in 2021 and is one of Trump's most vociferous defenders on Capitol Hill.
Trump, who turned 78 on Friday, has made questioning whether the 81-year-old Biden is up for a second term a centerpiece of his campaign. But online critics quickly seized on his Saturday night gaffe, with the Biden campaign which has long fought off criticism about the Democratic president's verbal missteps posting a clip of the moment minutes later.

Trump took the cognitive test in 2018 at his own request, Jackson told reporters at the time. The exam is designed to detect early signs of memory loss and other mild cognitive impairment.

The Montreal Cognitive Assessment that Trump took includes remembering a list of spoken words; listening to a list of random numbers and repeating them backward; naming as many words that begin with, say, the letter F as possible within a minute; accurately drawing a cube; and describing concrete ways that two objects like a train and a bicycle are alike.

Trump later said that he had to remember and accurately recite a list of words in order: "Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV."

During the same speech in Detroit, Trump also referenced a video clip widely circulated online in Republican circles where Biden is seen during the recently concluded Group of Seven summit in Italy watching skydivers land with flags from different nations.

A cropped version of the video shows Biden stepping away from the leaders, turning his back and walking in the other direction. He flashes a thumbs-up but it's not clear who he is gesturing to. A more complete angle of the same scene, however, shows that the president had turned to face a skydiver who has landed.
Trump nonetheless seized on the video clip, falsely describing Biden turning around "to look at trees," drawing laughter and hoots from the crowd.

The Biden campaign issued a statement dismissing the clip as misleadingly cropped and accusing those disseminating it as "tampering with the video to make up lies."
Cool story. Still voting for Trump
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Whiskey Pete said:

TexasScientist said:

ADVERTISEMENT

Amen. No way am I cognitively damaged enough to vote for President Poopy Pants.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

ADVERTISEMENT

If it wasn't for the Drudge Report, you'd have nothing to say.
Harrison Bergeron
He posts the weirdest TDS stuff.
fubar
Person woman man camera TV

Ronny Johnson approves.
Cobretti
this is such a losing issue for team joe. campaign has been struggling since the bragg case didn't make the polling impact they wanted. media is trying desperately to make something negative about trump47 gain traction. internal polling on joe's fitness must be an interesting read.
Fre3dombear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

ADVERTISEMENT

If it wasn't for the Drudge Report, you'd have nothing to say.

Amazing how far extreme left drudge.com has gone. Clearly under different ownership last several years
Johnny Bear
Harrison Bergeron said:

He posts the weirdest TDS stuff.

Agreed. In a TDS contest between him and J.R. I'm not sure who wins.
BearN

We're on the brink of economic collapse, tens of millions of illegal aliens roaming around our country, and are neck deep in 2 hot wars with Russian Warships parked off our coastline and you are posting about generic surnames.
In the time it took me to read that lame "article", Biden fell twice, had three naps, and soiled his diapers.
fubar
You post about three things you like to pretend that Biden did -- but didn't -- and yet ignore that TRUMP challenged Biden to take a cognitive test but wasn't able to remember the name of his doctor that gave him one.

TRUMP seems to be the more impaired of the two lame candidates,

C. Jordan
TexasScientist said:

ADVERTISEMENT

This is too ironic. You can't make this stuff up.

During the primaries, he could barely remember who he was running against.

Listen to Trump's riff on electric boats and sharks and tell me that the man's brain isn't scrambled!
C. Jordan
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Whiskey Pete said:

TexasScientist said:

ADVERTISEMENT

So, now we're believing stuff that was totally made up?
GrowlTowel
C. Jordan said:

TexasScientist said:

ADVERTISEMENT

This is too ironic. You can't make this stuff up.

During the primaries, he could barely remember who he was running against.

Listen to Trump's riff on electric boats and sharks and tell me that the man's brain isn't scrambled!

Cool. Now do Biden.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
C. Jordan said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Whiskey Pete said:

TexasScientist said:

ADVERTISEMENT

What is made up? At this point, Jill is taking care of an infant that can no longer do for himself. It is really kinda sad.

-- Barack Obama
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
fubar said:

If so, methinks it may be time for fubar to take a cognitive test.

Air Force Woke Toto Kansas SMDH

-- Barack Obama
redfish961
I think the debate will be very telling.

I'm ready for some good comedy.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
redfish961 said:

Popcorn ready! I expect it to be similar to a Mike Tyson vs. Pee Wee Herman fight.

The most entertaining thing to watch will be how the MSM and other lame brains spin it.

P.S. - Pee Wee is dead

-- Barack Obama
Johnny Bear
redfish961 said:

Given the network it's on and who the moderators are I will be shocked if the debate questions aren't ridiculously overly skewed toward things like Jan. 6th, abortion, and whether a "convicted felon" should be elected POTUS with jacked up Biden screaming insults and memorized talking points while doing his best to get Trump to explode and look like a raving lunatic. Easier said than done, but all Trump has to do is maintain his cool, appear Presidential, and as much as possible steer the conversation back to the things most voters actually care about which includes the economy, inflation, the border, energy policies, out of control crime, and the fact that this insane Administration has us staring at the threshold of World War III. If he does that he will win the debate in spite of all the unfairness he's going to have to deal with.
KaiBear
fubar said:

LOL

Oh sure !
Johnny Bear
KaiBear said:

fubar said:

LOL

Oh sure !

Trump would have to be dead for at least 48 hours to appear more impaired than dementia Joe.
GrowlTowel
C. Jordan said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Whiskey Pete said:

TexasScientist said:

ADVERTISEMENT

Mirror time? That pretty much summarizes your entire existence.
Waco1947
Whiskey Pete said:

TexasScientist said:

ADVERTISEMENT

Motivated ignorance refers to willfully blinding oneself to facts. It's choosing not to know. In many cases, for many people, knowing the truth is simply too costly, too psychologically painful, too threatening to their core identity. Nescience is therefore incentivized; people actively decide to remain in a state of ignorance. If they are presented with strong arguments against a position they hold, or compelling evidence that disproves the narrative they embrace, they will reject them. Doing so fends off the psychological distress of the realization that they've been lying to themselves and to others.
Motivated ignorance is a widespread phenomenon; most people, to one degree or another, employ it. What matters is the degree to which one embraces it, and the consequences of doing so. In the case of MAGA world, the lies that Trump supporters believe, or say they believe, are obviously untrue and obviously destructive. Since 2016 there's been a ratchet effect, each conspiracy theory getting more preposterous and more malicious. Things that Trump supporters wouldn't believe or accept in the past have since become loyalty tests. Election denialism is one example. The claim that Trump is the target of "lawfare," victim to the weaponization of the justice system, is another.

I have struggled to understand how to view individuals who have not just voted for Trump but who celebrate him, who don't merely tolerate him but who constantly defend his lawlessness and undisguised cruelty. How should I think about people who, in other domains of their lives, are admirable human beings and yet provide oxygen to his malicious movement? How complicit are people who live in an epistemic hall of mirrors and have sincerelyor half-sincerelyconvinced themselves they are on the side of the angels?
Throughout my career I've tried to resist the temptation to make unwarranted judgments about the character of people based on their political views. For one thing, it's quite possible my views on politics are misguided or distorted, so I exercise a degree of humility in assessing the views of others. For another, I know full well that politics forms only a part of our lives, and not the most important part. People can be personally upstanding and still be wrong on politics.

But something has changed for me in the Trump era. I struggle more than I once did to wall off a person's character from their politics when their politics is binding them to an unusuallyand I would say undeniablydestructive person. The lies that MAGA world parrots are so manifestly untrue, and the Trump ethic is so manifestly cruel, that they are difficult to set aside.
If a person insists, despite the overwhelming evidence, that Trump was the target of an assassination plot hatched by Biden and carried out by the FBI, this is more than an intellectual failure; it is a moral failure, and a serious one at that. It's only reasonable to conclude that such Trump supporters have not made a good-faith effort to understand what is really and truly happening. They are choosing to live within the lie, to invoke the words of the former Czech dissident and playwright Vaclav Havel.

Three ways to assess the moral culpability of people:
1) how absurd the lies are that they are espousing;
2) a second is how intentionally they are avoiding evidence that exposes the lies because they are deeply invested in the lie;
3) and a third is is how consequential the lie is.
It's one thing to embrace a conspiracy theory that is relevant only to you and your tiny corner of the world. It's an entirely different matter if the falsehood you're embracing and promoting is venomous, harming others, and eroding cherished principles, promoting violence and subverting American democracy. Peter Wehner
EatMoreSalmon
Waco1947 said:

Whiskey Pete said:

TexasScientist said:

ADVERTISEMENT

Motivated ignorance refers to willfully blinding oneself to facts. It's choosing not to know. In many cases, for many people, knowing the truth is simply too costly, too psychologically painful, too threatening to their core identity. Nescience is therefore incentivized; people actively decide to remain in a state of ignorance. If they are presented with strong arguments against a position they hold, or compelling evidence that disproves the narrative they embrace, they will reject them. Doing so fends off the psychological distress of the realization that they've been lying to themselves and to others.
Motivated ignorance is a widespread phenomenon; most people, to one degree or another, employ it. What matters is the degree to which one embraces it, and the consequences of doing so. In the case of MAGA world, the lies that Trump supporters believe, or say they believe, are obviously untrue and obviously destructive. Since 2016 there's been a ratchet effect, each conspiracy theory getting more preposterous and more malicious. Things that Trump supporters wouldn't believe or accept in the past have since become loyalty tests. Election denialism is one example. The claim that Trump is the target of "lawfare," victim to the weaponization of the justice system, is another.

I have struggled to understand how to view individuals who have not just voted for Trump but who celebrate him, who don't merely tolerate him but who constantly defend his lawlessness and undisguised cruelty. How should I think about people who, in other domains of their lives, are admirable human beings and yet provide oxygen to his malicious movement? How complicit are people who live in an epistemic hall of mirrors and have sincerelyor half-sincerelyconvinced themselves they are on the side of the angels?
Throughout my career I've tried to resist the temptation to make unwarranted judgments about the character of people based on their political views. For one thing, it's quite possible my views on politics are misguided or distorted, so I exercise a degree of humility in assessing the views of others. For another, I know full well that politics forms only a part of our lives, and not the most important part. People can be personally upstanding and still be wrong on politics.

But something has changed for me in the Trump era. I struggle more than I once did to wall off a person's character from their politics when their politics is binding them to an unusuallyand I would say undeniablydestructive person. The lies that MAGA world parrots are so manifestly untrue, and the Trump ethic is so manifestly cruel, that they are difficult to set aside.
If a person insists, despite the overwhelming evidence, that Trump was the target of an assassination plot hatched by Biden and carried out by the FBI, this is more than an intellectual failure; it is a moral failure, and a serious one at that. It's only reasonable to conclude that such Trump supporters have not made a good-faith effort to understand what is really and truly happening. They are choosing to live within the lie, to invoke the words of the former Czech dissident and playwright Vaclav Havel.

2) a second is how intentionally they are avoiding evidence that exposes the lies because they are deeply invested in the lie;
It's one thing to embrace a conspiracy theory that is relevant only to you and your tiny corner of the world. It's an entirely different matter if the falsehood you're embracing and promoting is venomous, harming others, and eroding cherished principles, promoting violence and subverting American democracy. Peter Wehner
It is a lot of hard work to keep believing that Biden is a better candidate than Trump in regards to just about anything - physical or moral. You are one of the hardest workers I've seen. TS is just a paid shill.
GrowlTowel
Waco1947 said:

Whiskey Pete said:

TexasScientist said:

ADVERTISEMENT

Great cut and paste. Any actual thoughts on the matter?
Mitch Blood Green
BearN said:

We're on the brink of economic collapse, tens of millions of illegal aliens roaming around our country, and are neck deep in 2 hot wars with Russian Warships parked off our coastline and you are posting about generic surnames.
In the time it took me to read that lame "article", Biden fell twice, had three naps, and soiled his diapers.

Leave Trump Alone

&ct=g

GrowlTowel
Mitch Blood Green said:

BearN said:

Leave Trump Alone

&ct=g

Your wife?
EatMoreSalmon
Mitch Blood Green said:

BearN said:

Leave Trump Alone

&ct=g

Please don't! If you leave him alone his poll numbers will fall!
Whiskey Pete
Waco1947 said:

Whiskey Pete said:

TexasScientist said:

ADVERTISEMENT

Didn't read you bloated response.

Still voting for Trump
Mitch Blood Green
GrowlTowel said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

BearN said:

Leave Trump Alone

&ct=g

Your wife?

That's the kind of drama that has me looking for ledges to jump from.
&ct=g

Waco1947
It was about you and the willful ignorance of MAGA
Waco1947
Johnny Bear
Waco1947 said:

Motivated ignorance refers to willfully blinding oneself to facts. It's choosing not to know. In many cases, for many people, knowing the truth is simply too costly,

Thank you for the great summary description of most Biden voters.
Whiskey Pete
Waco1947 said:

It was about you and the willful ignorance of MAGA
Still voting for the orange boogey man
Whiskey Pete
Waco1947 said:

Still voting for the orange boogey man
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.