Michelle and Black Panther

3,330 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bona Fide Bear
Jack and DP
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Does this matter?
cBUrurenthusism
#WakandaIsn'tReal
Bona Fide Bear
What's your issue with the tweet?
cinque
Bona Fide Bear said:

Stop being new. You know what his issue is. It's from Michelle Obama.
Make Racism Wrong Again
cBUrurenthusism
Poor Wesley gets no love

Bona Fide Bear
cinque said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Well that would be as idiotic as hating something just because Trump said it or proposed it. I know no one is that idiotic.
cinque
Bona Fide Bear said:

cinque said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Well that would be as idiotic as hating something just because Trump said it or proposed it. I know no one is that idiotic.
I'm with ya.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Doc Holliday
Here is what cinque thinks about Black Panther:
cBUrurenthusism
Doc Holliday said:

Here is what cinque thinks about Black Panther:

But Wakanda isn't a real place
cinque
SLCUMC PSAM is registering voters who are in queue to watch Black Panther. It's been a wonderful experience.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Jack and DP
Bona Fide Bear said:

I've never really thought of super hero's in terms of race or color. Should we celebrate that martians have Hulk?
Jack and DP
cinque said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Nice try, Russian bot.
J.R.
Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

I've never really thought of super hero's in terms of race or color. Should we celebrate that martians have Hulk?
And I'm sure you have a lot of "black friends" too!
Jack and DP
J.R. said:

Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Sitting by one right now, as a matter of fact.
cBUrurenthusism
J.R. said:

Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

What does that have to do with anything?
Bona Fide Bear
Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

It's easy to not see color when all the super heroes look like you. When you are white, all the super heroes are white, so it's easy to imagine yourself as that super hero. But if you are black, Hispanic, Asian, etc., it may be hard to relate to a white super hero. Especially when you are a kid and you know you live in a world surrounded by people that are a different color than you, but you still don't fully understand the concept of race. But regardless, you'd still like to see a super hero that looks more like you, or more like your dad or more like your uncle. I'm not really sure why this is a bad thing.

I think there are a lot of times race is misused and abused, but this is not one of those circumstances. And playing the "I don't see race" card in this instance means you are either ignorant to the issue or you are just making a statement to make a political point. Either one is unacceptable.
80sBEAR
Jack and DP said:

cinque said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Nice try, Russian bot.
AckAckAckAckAck!!! You fonny Jack. That nickname just might stick.

"Russian bot,- programmed for dissension!"
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Jack and DP
Bona Fide Bear said:

Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

It's easy to not see color when all the super heroes look like you. When you are white, all the super heroes are white, so it's easy to imagine yourself as that super hero. But if you are black, Hispanic, Asian, etc., it may be hard to relate to a white super hero. Especially when you are a kid and you know you live in a world surrounded by people that are a different color than you, but you still don't fully understand the concept of race. But regardless, you'd still like to see a super hero that looks more like you, or more like your dad or more like your uncle. I'm not really sure why this is a bad thing.

I think there are a lot of times race is misused and abused, but this is not one of those circumstances. And playing the "I don't see race" card in this instance means you are either ignorant to the issue or you are just making a statement to make a political point. Either one is unacceptable.

I'll give you Super Man and Wonder Woman. But do you really see race in most of these?

https://goo.gl/images/FHhFod
syme
Surely there's more meaningful films to the black community then some B rate Marvel flick.
Bona Fide Bear
Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

I'll give you Super Man and Wonder Woman. But do you really see race in most of these?

Super Man white, Batman rich white guy, Iron Man rich white guy, Thor white, with long flowing blonde hair, spider man white, captain America white, green lantern white, the flash white. And yes, there are some super heroes that you don't identify a race with, but think of the big super hero movies lately (since movies is what the topic of this thread really is, not comic books which are mainly read by white teenagers), pretty much all white. I don't think it's a bad thing to have a super hero that young black people can relate too. Just like a black president is a good thing because young black children can have someone that looks similar to them that they can look up to. I'm not talking about politics here, I'm talking about kids and kids trying to find role models as they find their place in the world.
Osodecentx
Good for Black Panther
cinque
cBUrurenthusism said:

J.R. said:

Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Well, if you make real friends outside of your racially esoteric social circle, you're less likely to be comfortably racist.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Moondoggie
Jack and DP said:

cinque said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Nice try, Russian bot.

Your Russian bot crap shows immaturity. You can't exchange ideas without base name calling.

End it and grow some maturity.
80sBEAR
I think people are being way too hard on Mrs. Obama. I just thank God she no longer has to "live in a house built by slaves." Praise Jesus.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Jack and DP
pitchman said:

Jack and DP said:

cinque said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Nice try, Russian bot.

Your Russian bot crap shows immaturity. You can't exchange ideas without base name calling.

End it and grow some maturity.

The Bot has no ideas, so there can't be an exchange. What idea would you like to exchange?
You do realize that calling one immature is name calling, don't you?
cBUrurenthusism

"This weekend we wanted to meet our people in Wakanda," Byrd and Reed told Blavity. "We know that for some it's a superhero world, but we know that the world we deserve is still waiting to be built and we want to build it."

The project's website notes that volunteers will be wearing "Wakanda inspired outfits" to help moviegoers register to vote.

Byrd and Reed told Blavity that they plan to further their efforts ahead of the 2018 midterm elections by holding a campaign manager institute called the "Electoral Justice League," and to have "thousands of conversations" with black voters about upcoming elections.

It's not a real place. It's a comic book. How childlike do you have to be to base your worldview on a cartoon fantasy? 'I don't think I'll be moving to Gotham City because The Joker might still be there?????'
Nobody is stopping you from building anything.
Please. Show us what you can do.

fadskier
cinque said:

cBUrurenthusism said:

J.R. said:

Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Well, if you make real friends outside of your racially esoteric social circle, you're less likely to be comfortably racist.
I have true friends that are black and Hispanic. They are ashamed of your non-stop race-baiting and making everything about race.
fadskier
Bona Fide Bear said:

Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Super Man white, Batman rich white guy, Iron Man rich white guy, Thor white, with long flowing blonde hair, spider man white, captain America white, green lantern white, the flash white. And yes, there are some super heroes that you don't identify a race with, but think of the big super hero movies lately (since movies is what the topic of this thread really is, not comic books which are mainly read by white teenagers), pretty much all white. I don't think it's a bad thing to have a super hero that young black people can relate too. Just like a black president is a good thing because young black children can have someone that looks similar to them that they can look up to. I'm not talking about politics here, I'm talking about kids and kids trying to find role models as they find their place in the world.
That's a very good point. But why did Hollywood make these guys white? Spider man and Iron man could have been any color...so could Hulk for that matter.
fadskier
Jack and DP said:

Does this matter?
She always brings up race. She's just noise.
Buck Whiskey
Meh. She wants to tweet about a movie who cares.
Bona Fide Bear
fadskier said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

That's a very good point. But why did Hollywood make these guys white? Spider man and Iron man could have been any color...so could Hulk for that matter.
You seen the Spider Man and Iron Man comic books, right? They are white guys in the comics.

As far as why Hollywood continued the story of them being white, it's probably because if they had made them black, the same people that don't understand the MO quote from the OP would be up in arms that Hollywood made them black for the movie.
cowboycwr
Did she ever get those girls home? Or was that just the popular thing to tweet about at the moment and then she stopped talking about it because she stopped caring?
fadskier
Bona Fide Bear said:

fadskier said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

Jack and DP said:

Bona Fide Bear said:

You seen the Spider Man and Iron Man comic books, right? They are white guys in the comics.

As far as why Hollywood continued the story of them being white, it's probably because if they had made them black, the same people that don't understand the MO quote from the OP would be up in arms that Hollywood made them black for the movie.
Sorry, I don't read comics and didn't know that they were already white.
cowboycwr
Superman may be white but remember he isn't even human.

Same for Thor.

Bona Fide Bear
cowboycwr said:

Superman may be white but remember he isn't even human.

Same for Thor.

But they are depicted as white guys. Stop trying to complicate it. If you are a white kid, you have a lot of Super Heroes to look up to that look like you, look like your dad or look like other men in your life. If you are a black kid, you have less. That's all Michelle was saying.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.