Unscheduled White House Press Conf about to start...

5,830 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by quash
Florda_mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was just thinking how some things recently, tie together with this EU deal today

Remember when the short sighted democrat MSM was moping and whining about how Trump "INSULTED" Germany, our ally? Trump publicly stated Germany gets 70% or so of its petroleum products from Russia! Treasonous? We'd never have known such without Trump btw! Could Trump have been wanting some of Russia's oil trade with Germany?

Anyway, Trump was using that statement and public humiliation of Germany to add to the negotiation of this deal in order for our petroleum industry to capture Russia's oil biz with Germany. That's what happened today!!!

Congratulations if you're in petroleum business

That's the "Art of the Deal" guys! Read the book if you want to know what he's doing

He's 3-4 moves ahead of any politician he's dealing with.

Trump is a genius businessman and how lucky we are to have him

GDP of 3.5-4% for 2nd Q might soon be announced

I love winning
KOKQB70
Mike is right again, and other smart ones here, but Booray posts like he's not happy, well pass the Kleenexes. Trump again, MAGA, and corncob pipe had best line, suck it losers!
contrario
Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

Edmond Bear said:

Booray said:

So the concession is that the EU will import soybeans and lng - how much? And what are we giving up?

I like the announcement, but will keep the champaign on ice until the details are clear.

You are looking at this wrong.

A few more soybean and natural gas sales is way better than the world-wide apocalypse and famine that has been predicted by MSM for a few weeks.

Yes it would be. But that is not the question. Trump will sell this as "see how I negotiated us to a better position.
"
What I am wondering, however, is whether Trump is just putting lipstick on the pig. Tell me how we will be better off than before we imposed the sanctions.

Worth noting that POTUS has crafted one other significant international agreement: the de-nuclearization of North Korea. That does not mean North Korea is denuclearized. Likewise, this announcement does not mean we have won on trade.
Doesn't matter if it's 2% or 5-40% more in trade, it's better than we had before. Both the EU rep & Trump spoke about their goal was zero tariffs especially on industrial products. The EU rep seemed positive but of course there is a lot of work to do to narrow down the details.
It does matter because without knowing the amounts, you have no idea if it is "better than we had before."

Everybody wants 0% tariffs; its a wonderful goal. Call me when it happens.

I am not trivializing this; its a better path than we have been on. I am just leery of Trump's gamesmanship. The substance of his game is often not what it seems.

What has he achieved? Quantify it.
You want hard numbers, I get it. We don't have hard numbers yet. What we have is a path that looks better than the path we were on. Does that mean there is still a long way to go? Of course, but it's ok to celebrate an agreement in principle, even if many of the terms still need to be worked out. I always celebrate when I get a commercial property under contract. I know there is still a long way to go (financing, getting investors together, business plans, feasibility studies, physical condition reports, etc), however, that doesn't mean you can celebrate what has been accomplished. Meeting of the minds is the first step. Yesterday we were told that we pissed off all of our trading partners and we were facing a world-wide economic collapse. While we still have a long way to go, the fact that the EU very publicly made a statement of unity with the US today is a reason to be optimistic.
Booray
contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

Edmond Bear said:

Booray said:

So the concession is that the EU will import soybeans and lng - how much? And what are we giving up?

I like the announcement, but will keep the champaign on ice until the details are clear.

A few more soybean and natural gas sales is way better than the world-wide apocalypse and famine that has been predicted by MSM for a few weeks.

Yes it would be. But that is not the question. Trump will sell this as "see how I negotiated us to a better position.
"
What I am wondering, however, is whether Trump is just putting lipstick on the pig. Tell me how we will be better off than before we imposed the sanctions.

Worth noting that POTUS has crafted one other significant international agreement: the de-nuclearization of North Korea. That does not mean North Korea is denuclearized. Likewise, this announcement does not mean we have won on trade.
Doesn't matter if it's 2% or 5-40% more in trade, it's better than we had before. Both the EU rep & Trump spoke about their goal was zero tariffs especially on industrial products. The EU rep seemed positive but of course there is a lot of work to do to narrow down the details.
It does matter because without knowing the amounts, you have no idea if it is "better than we had before."

I am not trivializing this; its a better path than we have been on. I am just leery of Trump's gamesmanship. The substance of his game is often not what it seems.

You want hard numbers, I get it. We don't have hard numbers yet. What we have is a path that looks better than the path we were on. Does that mean there is still a long way to go? Of course, but it's ok to celebrate an agreement in principle, even if many of the terms still need to be worked out. I always celebrate when I get a commercial property under contract. I know there is still a long way to go (financing, getting investors together, business plans, feasibility studies, physical condition reports, etc), however, that doesn't mean you can celebrate what has been accomplished. Meeting of the minds is the first step. Yesterday we were told that we pissed off all of our trading partners and we were facing a world-wide economic collapse. While we still have a long way to go, the fact that the EU very publicly made a statement of unity with the US today is a reason to be optimistic.
I agree. But "show me the money."
Florda_mike
Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

Edmond Bear said:

Booray said:

"

First you work for the money and THEN, in time, you get the money. That's how long term negotiations get to agreements and then the work happens(and everything else) and then the money comes

We seem to have much of the country(the left) wanting immediate gratification

They need to learn patience
bubbadog
The good:
We get the EU to buy more soybeans, which takes some of the pressure off farmers.
Buying natural gas from us (if it turns out to be a significant amount) is a double win. Helps us and hurts Putin.

The not-so-good:
Automobile tariffs specifically excluded, and those could have the biggest effect. Serious enough that a bipartisan Senate bill has been introduced to delay Trump's authority to impose the 25 percent tariff.
Tariffs on steel and other goods already imposed remain in place.

The incomplete:
Statement of intention to eliminate all tariffs between US and EU is worthy goal. But it's just words so far.

Overall:
Some positive steps.
Not the huge deal that some are proclaiming.
KOKQB70
Bubba, Booray, been long day, let it go and sleep on what Trump did today, which helped both you today, badda bing, badda boom, cha ching, $$$$
contrario
bubbadog said:

The good:
We get the EU to buy more soybeans, which takes some of the pressure off farmers.
Buying natural gas from us (if it turns out to be a significant amount) is a double win. Helps us and hurts Putin.

The not-so-good:
Automobile tariffs specifically excluded, and those could have the biggest effect. Serious enough that a bipartisan Senate bill has been introduced to delay Trump's authority to impose the 25 percent tariff.

The incomplete:
Statement of intention to eliminate all tariffs between US and EU is worthy goal. But it's just words so far.

Overall:
Some positive steps.
Well of course. It's all about one's perception. If Obama had gotten the same deal, the democrats on here would have been celebrating too. The truth is always in the middle, in this case it's not as good as those on the far right are making it out to be and it is more than those on the far left that are claiming it is nothing. This same logic can be applied to every single topic.
quash
Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

Edmond Bear said:

Booray said:

"

Right. IF we get something specific and better then yay on two points: one, we got a better deal and, two, it sets a template for China, Canada, Mexico.

As to metrics one is easy one is not. Exports lost = N. Today's deal is N, N+x, or N-x. As to soybeans alone N= $16 billion. (Should N include the $12 billion in taxpayer money going to the bailout?)

Not so easily quantified is WTO reform. I'm Ok with that.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
YoakDaddy
Can we just Build The Wall already? I want more wins!
CHP Bear
YoakDaddy said:

So tired of winning.
Sounds like the makings of a song. "I'm so tired, so tired of winning with you...." Sounds good to me.
corncob pipe
not winning:

bubbadog
contrario said:

bubbadog said:

The good:

The not-so-good:

The incomplete:

Overall:
Some positive steps.
Well of course. It's all about one's perception. If Obama had gotten the same deal, the democrats on here would have been celebrating too. The truth is always in the middle, in this case it's not as good as those on the far right are making it out to be and it is more than those on the far left that are claiming it is nothing. This same logic can be applied to every single topic.
Only if you see every issue in purely partisan terms and as a zero-sum game, which seems to be the binary form of analysis favored around here. Some of the partisans here are incapable of anything more than that, but I'd still like to believe that doesn't apply to all of them.
contrario
bubbadog said:

contrario said:

bubbadog said:

The good:

The not-so-good:

The incomplete:

Overall:
Some positive steps.
Only if you see every issue in purely partisan terms and as a zero-sum game, which seems to be the binary form of analysis favored around here. Some of the partisans here are incapable of anything more than that, but I'd still like to believe that doesn't apply to all of them.
It may not apply to all of them, but it really seems to apply to a lot of them. To some on here, no matter what Trump does it will be either down played (if it is good news) or labeled as the most evil thing a president has ever done (if it is bad news). And the reverse holds true for Trump supporters.

What's most interesting about both of these groups of people is they don't care about what precedent was set by previous administrations that they supported or disagreed with, all they care about is the now.
EatMoreSalmon
bubbadog said:

contrario said:

bubbadog said:

The good:

The not-so-good:

The incomplete:

Overall:
Some positive steps.
Until one looks at the news one readily accepts, and compares that to the news one has difficulty accepting, one cannot escape the trap of "binary" thinking. If one's "logic" is becoming rationalization for a position on news, the trap has sprung.

Example:
If everything a person or entity does is faulty in your eyes, then you have likely fallen into rationalization.

I had a housemate in college who had no business trying to get a college degree. He couldn't pass English for Foreign Students - and no, he wasn't a foreign student in any stretch of the phrase. It took a friend of mine to slap me into accepting a really good word of wisdom that had come from this housemate. I wouldn't accept the wisdom on its merit because I wouldn't accept anything from this housemate as wise. I was the foolish one. I had let my opinion of the housemates "smarts" taint my opinion of all of his actions and words.
HuMcK
contrario said:

bubbadog said:

The good:

The not-so-good:

The incomplete:

Overall:
Some positive steps.
Obama was on the way to securing a much broader deal with the EU than this proposal (and that's really what it is at this point) before the current administration scuttled it, it was called the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership. I don't have time to check it now, but I'd be interested to know if these newly agreed to items were included in the TTIP already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_Trade_and_Investment_Partnership
contrario
HuMcK said:

contrario said:

bubbadog said:

The good:

The not-so-good:

The incomplete:

Overall:
Some positive steps.
Obama was on the way to securing a much broader deal with the EU than this proposal (and that's really what it is at this point) before the current administration scuttled it, it was called the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership. I don't have time to check it now, but I'd be interested to know if these newly agreed to items were included in the TTIP already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_Trade_and_Investment_Partnership
See, one of the binaries is already trying to give Credit of this to Obama (I'm only halfway kidding)
Canada2017
In Copenhagen, Denmark the local news took the position that the joint announcement was positive for both the EU and the US. That trade barriers on both sides need revamping.

It's amazing how much attention the US gets here....even down to the weather .
quash
From Reason:

"But a mere handshake agreement to send more soybeans across the Atlantic won't make up for a reduction in exports across the Pacific.

For starters, that's because the European Commission doesn't actually have authority over how many soybeans Europe imports. It doesn't procure soybeans for European markets and it doesn't tell European businesses where to buy their soybeans."

But at least we're talking and, again, this may serve as a template for other trading partners.

HuMcK: yes, it is similar (as far as it goes) to TIPP.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
bubbadog
quash said:

From Reason:

"But a mere handshake agreement to send more soybeans across the Atlantic won't make up for a reduction in exports across the Pacific.

I heard a Republican Congressman from Iowa interviewed on the radio this morning, and he pretty much said the same thing.
corncob pipe
HuMcK
The body of this article is much more reassuring than the headline would suggest, it sounds like Trump actually may have done his homework and prepared for this meeting between himself and Junker.
riflebear
HuMcK said:

The body of this article is much more reassuring than the headline would suggest, it sounds like Trump actually may have done his homework and prepared for this meeting between himself and Junker.

Mexican trade official negotiating the new NAFTA deal said Trump was brilliant in negotiations. Supposedly we are about to get a trade deal w/ Mexico too.

But, if I became a billionaire by making deals in multiple industries over decades but people called me stupid, I'd be fine w/ that.

Florda_mike
Not too much winning yet for me

Except for the MSM, Trump would be undefeated!!!

corncob pipe
welcome to Winfinity
ValhallaBear
I hear when Trump visits Oklahoma he stays at the Winstar
quash
I hear Trump plays football on fields that are ten yards long.

I'm sorry. Fields with "a lot" of yards. A lot.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.