Texas part of Electoral College winner take all lawsuit

9,745 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TechDawgMc
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Correct me if I am wrong but don't the states get to choose how they proportion out their EC votes?

If California or Texas wants to see both candidates, aren't they free to say the votes go out proportionally? And if Montana wants to see both candidates, are they free to say winner takes all?

Correct me if I'm wrong please but, this is a state issue (50 separate state issues) and not a federal one.
Electors were prevailed upon by the left and the right to break with tradition and vote their consciences in 2016, but tradition prevailed.
so, had they voted their conscience, the citizens votes would not have been represented in the least. You're just whining because you didn't like the results. Of course, we already knew that but you just proved it for all of us
cinque
LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Correct me if I am wrong but don't the states get to choose how they proportion out their EC votes?

If California or Texas wants to see both candidates, aren't they free to say the votes go out proportionally? And if Montana wants to see both candidates, are they free to say winner takes all?

Correct me if I'm wrong please but, this is a state issue (50 separate state issues) and not a federal one.
Electors were prevailed upon by the left and the right to break with tradition and vote their consciences in 2016, but tradition prevailed.
so, had they voted their conscience, the citizens votes would not have been represented in the least. You're just whining because you didn't like the results. Of course, we already knew that but you just proved it for all of us
I'm not whining. I'm trying to have a discussion about proportional allocation of electors so that the focus of presidential candidates can be expanded beyond the esoteric group of swing states. What's wrong with that?
Make Racism Wrong Again
LIB,MR BEARS
cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

I'm not whining. I'm trying to have a discussion about proportional allocation of electors so that the focus of presidential candidates can be expanded beyond the esoteric group of swing states. What's wrong with that?
your hypocrisy. Your lack of consistency. Your feigning concern. I'm sure there is more
corncob pipe
GrowlTowel
cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

This is really sad, even for you.

First, some states make it a crime to break and vote for a candidate that you were not pledged to vote for.

Second, have you no clue how the electors come to be? After the primaries close on voting day, both the DNC and the GOP of that specific precinct have a meeting to determine who their delegates will be to the state convention. The only people who show up for these meetings are hard core, party loyalists. During the state convention, each party selects its delegates/electors from the hard core, party loyalists and each of those persons pledge that he/she will cast his/her vote for the party nominee. From the state convention, it is on to the national convention and on to election day.

Now, if at any point in the process someone changed their mind about voting for the candidate, it would have been discovered and that person would have been replaced. Electors are party loyalists that often have their own political aspirations within the party and are not going to "break with tradition." Their consciences already told them who to vote for which is why they participated in the process from day one.
cinque
GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

First, some states make it a crime to break and vote for a candidate that you were not pledged to vote for.

Second, have you no clue how the electors come to be? After the primaries close on voting day, both the DNC and the GOP of that specific precinct have a meeting to determine who their delegates will be to the state convention. The only people who show up for these meetings are hard core, party loyalists. During the state convention, each party selects its delegates/electors from the hard core, party loyalists and each of those persons pledge that he/she will cast his/her vote for the party nominee. From the state convention, it is on to the national convention and on to election day.

Now, if at any point in the process someone changed their mind about voting for the candidate, it would have been discovered and that person would have been replaced. Electors are party loyalists that often have their own political aspirations within the party and are not going to "break with tradition." Their consciences already told them who to vote for which is why they participated in the process from day one.
If the Constitution allows electors to be made lawbreakers by the state for voting their consciences, our problem is bigger than previously thought.

You google pretty good, btw.
Make Racism Wrong Again
GrowlTowel
cinque said:

GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

If the Constitution allows electors to be made lawbreakers by the state for voting their consciences, our problem is bigger than previously thought.

No Google involed. I put my two degrees from BU up against . . . Yours?
cinque
GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

I know. You're up there and I'm down here. How about you put them up against Professor Lessig's?
Make Racism Wrong Again
GrowlTowel
cinque said:

GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

I know. You're up there and I'm down here. How about you put them up against Professor Lessig's?

I did. He lost. Kinder Morgan hired poorly.
RioRata
bubbadog said:

cinque said:

The suit is advocating just what you're suggesting.
I'm not really advocating that. I'm just saying that system would be better than awarding electors based on congressional districts. A proportional system would still have problems.

I'm for a popular vote, but that requires a constitutional amendment. And it would be hard to get the requisite number of states when so many small-population states have an advantage under the Electoral College system.

Isn't this the reason the system was set up the way it is (same as each state having two senators)?
cinque
GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

What did he lose?
Make Racism Wrong Again
GrowlTowel
cinque said:

GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

What did he lose?

8.3 million dollars
Keyser Soze
Correct - The Great Compromise created the House & Senate - the EC was part of that as well
PartyBear
Those talking about candidates ignoring Texas, don't really understand that Texas is on the verge of becoming a state candidates in both parties are going to be actively catering to. With most of the attention being on the 35 corridor since those voters will determine who carries the state.
4th and Inches
RioRata said:

bubbadog said:

cinque said:

I'm not really advocating that. I'm just saying that system would be better than awarding electors based on congressional districts. A proportional system would still have problems.

I'm for a popular vote, but that requires a constitutional amendment. And it would be hard to get the requisite number of states when so many small-population states have an advantage under the Electoral College system.

Isn't this the reason the system was set up the way it is (same as each state having two senators)?
we screwed up the original intent of senators already... they are supposed to represent the states interests which is why every state got 2. The state gov was supposed to elect and send these two, not the populous... house represents the people- senate reps the state govs, but we messed that up so the state govs dont have a voice like it should...
GrowlTowel
Gruvin said:

RioRata said:

bubbadog said:

cinque said:

we screwed up the original intent of senators already... they are supposed to represent the states interests which is why every state got 2. The state gov was supposed to elect and send these two, not the populous... house represents the people- senate reps the state govs, but we messed that up so the state govs dont have a voice like it should...
Absolutely true.
bubbadog
Gruvin said:

RioRata said:

bubbadog said:

cinque said:

The original intent of the Framers was that people should be able to change the Constitution if there was enough support in state legislators to do so. That's what happened when the Constitution was amended to allow direct election of senators. The Framers were not morons. They did not intend for everything they wrote to be set in stone forever, so that future generations of Americans had no say in continuing to shape the Constitution. The system worked as they designed it to work.
bubbadog
RioRata said:

bubbadog said:

cinque said:

Um, no.
TechDawgMc
cinque said:

D. C. Bear said:

cinque said:

GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

Would it be a win for representative democracy to have electors in Texas and California proportionally allocated?

No. States elect the president, not the people.
Why do people vote in presidential election if not to elect a president?

People vote for electors. It is one of a couple of ways a president may be selected. We've never had direct election of the president. A lot of democratic countries select their leader by something other than direct election by the people. The is nothing special or superior about direct election.
You think the majority of people who vote in presidential elections do so with the thought of voting for electors?
just the ones who understand how our government works

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.