Congrats to those who rode out the hurricane

5,200 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Osodecentx
Osodecentx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From NYTimes

Many of those missing, in the moments before they lost communications with friends or relatives, had appeared to be in dire circumstances. Some talked about how their walls were caving in, or how they regretted staying for the storm. Others said the Category 4 hurricane's winds were peeling off their roofs or splintering the roads in front of them.

The death toll rose to at least 29 on Tuesday, including 19 in Florida, of whom at least 15 are here in Bay County; many believe the toll will surely increase again. In places like Mexico Beach, where the authorities have said up to 46 people are missing, families and emergency workers fear that more bodies are buried in the fields of split wood and twisted metal or, just as likely, washed out into the Gulf by the storm surge that swept through town.
Florda_mike
Osodecentx said:

From NYTimes

Many of those missing, in the moments before they lost communications with friends or relatives, had appeared to be in dire circumstances. Some talked about how their walls were caving in, or how they regretted staying for the storm. Others said the Category 4 hurricane's winds were peeling off their roofs or splintering the roads in front of them.

The death toll rose to at least 29 on Tuesday, including 19 in Florida, of whom at least 15 are here in Bay County; many believe the toll will surely increase again. In places like Mexico Beach, where the authorities have said up to 46 people are missing, families and emergency workers fear that more bodies are buried in the fields of split wood and twisted metal or, just as likely, washed out into the Gulf by the storm surge that swept through town.

I heard they opened Mexico Beach and those areas back up to public yesterday but idk for sure

Traffic was much much worse though
bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

From NYTimes

Are you still celebrating the thinning of the herd?
Osodecentx
I continue to ask the question: why don't people get out of the way?
bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

And your question has been answered several times.
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Not really. You gave a nice list of reasons, though.
bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

I've heard interviews with people who cited the very reasons I mentioned. Just yesterday, I heard a couple of men say that they decided to ride it out after hearing the forecast that Michael would make landfall as a Category 2. They'd been through Category 2's before and calculated that they'd be OK. They'd never seen a storm that turned so fast from a Category 2 to almost a Cat 5, and by the time that happened it was too late.

The real point here is that you won't ACCEPT the reasons that people didn't leave; if you did, then you wouldn't be able to sit in judgment of them, verbally prosecute them and sentence them to receive a Darwin Award.

You remind me of the people who used to make fun of starving Ethiopians and ask why they just didn't move to a country where there was food.
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

I've heard interviews with people who cited the very reasons I mentioned. Just yesterday, I heard a couple of men say that they decided to ride it out after hearing the forecast that Michael would make landfall as a Category 2. They'd been through Category 2's before and calculated that they'd be OK. They'd never seen a storm that turned so fast from a Category 2 to almost a Cat 5, and by the time that happened it was too late.

The real point here is that you won't ACCEPT the reasons that people didn't leave; if you did, then you wouldn't be able to sit in judgment of them, verbally prosecute them and sentence them to receive a Darwin Award.

You remind me of the people who used to make fun of starving Ethiopians and ask why they just didn't move to a country where there was food.
No bubba. More like Aesop's fables, modern cautionary tales of people who were warned, didn't listen and paid a horrible price.

Here's hoping more people listen next time.

Why don't people get out of the way? Why don't some people have their children vaccinated? Why don't the elderly get flu shots?

We live in the land of the free and the home of the brave. We're still allowed to make our own bad decisions
bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

No bubba. More like Aesop's fables, modern cautionary tales of people who were warned, didn't listen and paid a horrible price.

Why don't people get out of the way? Why don't some people have their children vaccinated? Why don't the elderly get flu shots?

We live in the land of the free and the home of the brave. We're still allowed to make our own bad decisions
Yes, and you're also allowed to make callous jokes about thinning the herd.
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Yes, and you're also allowed to make callous jokes about thinning the herd.
And you accuse posters of being on drugs.
bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

Thinning the herd

Stupid people who see themselves as courageous for committing stupidity.

Nobody said they didn't have a right to do what they want, but they forfeit their *****ing privilege4s when they are hungry and thirsty and without electricity. Where is the rough and ready, self reliant macho BS now?
In case you needed a reminder from page 1
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Thinning the herd

Nobody said they didn't have a right to do what they want, but they forfeit their *****ing privilege4s when they are hungry and thirsty and without electricity. Where is the rough and ready, self reliant macho BS now?
Your quote from another thread to Malbec

Posted bubba
Making defenses? Are you on drugs?
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Thinning the herd

Wish you would consider a little self examination.

You posted this on another thread:

Posted bubba:

Toward those with whom you disagree, you consistently spew hate. That wouldn't be an especially big deal around here, except that you turn around and claim that a poster like cinque is the most hateful poster you've ever seen.

Let's just say that your self-awareness is low.
bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Thinning the herd

Posted bubba:

Toward those with whom you disagree, you consistently spew hate. That wouldn't be an especially big deal around here, except that you turn around and claim that a poster like cinque is the most hateful poster you've ever seen.

You made callous statements about people who died.

Own it.
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Thinning the herd

Posted bubba:

Own it.
This exchange between you and me is adolescent. It is embarrassing

You win. I concede nothing

Enjoy
Florda_mike
Traffic got much worse starting yesterday. 2-3 hours from Destin to Panama City

Heard it was first they were allowing people back in towards Mexico Beach and surrounding areas. This area is hard to access and would have been struggle to escape if waited too late to evacuate. Need to empathize here.

I know people that rode it out out east side of that friggin monster hurricane. Buddy told me winds measured at 177 mph close to him. Said brick walls were moving back and forth 4-6 inches for about 2.5 hours. Thank God it went through relatively quick he said. He lived on Beach and "evacuated eastward right into it. If he'd stayed home he'd fared much better. Hard to know sometimes. Said he went outside after and was just suddenly crying from devastation

Phone service for Verizon came back on Panama City Beach today. Yes!!!!! Electricity back there for most part. Water spotty. Some stores opening back up. No so in Panama City eastward

7 days today. What a difference a week makes. 85, calm and sunny at noon today. Week ago relative Cat 5 hurricane. Humbling

Just an update
Osodecentx
7 more deaths raise Hurricane Michael toll to 33; residents trickle back to devastated areas
bubbadog
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Osodecentx said:

Thinning the herd

Posted bubba:

Own it.

You win. I concede nothing

Enjoy
You don't have to concede. What you wrote is there for everyone to see.
Osodecentx
Why don't people get out of the way?

The death toll from Hurricane Michael rose to 33 on Wednesday after officials confirmed seven more fatalities in Florida, USA Today reported.
Twenty-three of the reported deaths occurred in Florida, where the storm hit the hardest, while 10 others were reported across Georgia, Virginia and North Carolina.
Hurricane Michael pummeled the Florida Panhandle last week, devastating infrastructure and leaving some neighborhoods submerged in water.
Task forces have identified more than 15,000 single residences that were damaged and 4,240 single residences that were destroyed by the hurricane, according to the outlet.
Thousands of people in Florida were still without power on Wednesday morning.
The death toll is expected to rise as officials continue to search for more than 1,100 who are still unaccounted for, BBC reported.
Hurricane Michael was one of the most powerful recorded storms in recent U.S. history.

Florda_mike
Oso, people didn't evacuate for numerous reasons, most of which you'd never understand unless you'd spent decades living on the coast

With all due respect, please stop harping your evacuation lectures

Please
Osodecentx
My parents rode out a hurricane in Houston. Never again.

Osodecentx
Hurricane Michael Death Toll Rises to 35 as Mexico Beach Residents Return to Survey Damage

Hurricane Michael's Death Toll Continues to Rise
Search and Rescue comes to a complete in Mexico Beach, as the death toll continues to rise from Hurricane Michael.

At a Glance
  • At least 35 deaths have been blamed on Hurricane Michael as the recovery continues.
  • Mexico Beach residents were allowed to survey the damage for the first time Wednesday
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Osodecentx said:

Katrina should have taught most everybody to get the HELL out! Better safe than sorry.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Osodecentx
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Osodecentx said:

Katrina should have taught most everybody to get the HELL out! Better safe than sorry.
Apparently not
Florda_mike
Oh well, deaf ears I guess
Osodecentx
The deaf ears belong to those to elected to 'ride it out'
Florda_mike
Osodecentx said:

The deaf ears belong to those to elected to 'ride it out'

Beat dat dead horse baby, beat it til it dead dead
Osodecentx

Hurricane Michael death toll: At least 29 killed in Florida, 39 total

10 deaths reported in other states

Can't find a reliable figure on how many are missing
Jack and DP
My childhood home survived intact. The one my Dad built with his own hands. Many were not so lucky. The eye passed dead center over my old neighborhood. Dear friend ride out the storm with his mother st her house. She didn't want to leave her chickens, dogs, etc. They made out fairly well. Like most others, no power, etc.
Callaway, where I attended elementary school is destroyed. Tyndall AFB, where Dad worked for years, in terrible shape. Mexico Beach was one of our favorite secret spots.
Heartbroken for my hometown and many dear friends who are suffering. On fifth Sunday nights, and old church member would recite the poem, "The Lost Boys Of East Bay". It was the story of a fishing boat and crew that was lost during a hurricane in the late 1800s.
Florda_mike
Osodecentx said:

Can't find a reliable figure on how many are missing

^^^ I've heard something on this, what have you heard?
Osodecentx
Hurricane Michael Death Toll Now at 35 in Florida, 45 Total
October 30, 2018

Florida authorities have linked six more deaths to Hurricane Michael, raising the state's death toll to 35.
The storm's overall death toll now stands at 45, with 10 deaths in other states.

Florida Emergency Management Division spokesman Alberto Moscoso said in an email Saturday that two more deaths were confirmed in hard-hit coastal Bay County, raising the total there to 21.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.