Judge Sanctions Pepper Hamilton and Warns Baylor

4,566 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 57Bear
Malbec
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KWTX - By Paul J. Gately |

Updated: Fri 4:52 PM, Jun 21, 2019

AUSTIN, Texas (KWTX) U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman Friday sanctioned the Pepper Hamilton law firm for failure to comply with court orders and subpoenas in Jane Doe sexual lawsuits against the university, saying "The evidence of Pepper Hamilton's conduct in violation of the Court's orders is so 'clear, direct, weighty and convincing' that the court reaches this conclusion with clear conviction and without hesitancy."

He ordered the firm to pay all of the plaintiff's "reasonable expenses in making their Amended Motion to Compel and Motion for Sanctions, including attorney's fees."

Pitman did not sanction Baylor's attorneys, but cautioned "that even inadvertent violation of a discovery order is eligible for sanctions and the court will consider sanctions if Baylor makes further production of Pepper Hamilton materials without adequate explanation."

In March Pitman ordered the law firm to turn over thousands of documents related to the investigation by April 11 in what Jim Dunnam of Waco, who represents 13 Jane Doe plaintiffs in suits against the university, called a "monster step forward in revealing the truth."

The order came just more than two years after Dunnam and Chad Dunn of Houston filed a subpoena seeking documents or records or communications relating to Pepper Hamilton's work for Baylor beginning in 2015 including all information obtained from the Advocacy Center of Waco; all information obtained from the McLennan County District Attorney's Office; all information obtained from Waco Police Department; all information obtained from the Baylor Police Department; all information obtained from the McLennan County Sheriff's Department; all information obtained from Cenikor; all information obtained from Baylor University and all information obtained from any other third party.

Pepper Hamilton reviewed more than a million pieces of evidence including documents, data, and interview lists, but produced only a 13-page Findings of Fact that didn't identify any specific cases or cite any individuals by name.

Friday's order allows Pepper Hamilton and Baylor to withhold materials dated from June 15, 2016 to Nov. 6 2017 including "Other Matters" that the law firm worked on in addition to the investigation of the school's handling of sexual assaults.

But the order denies Baylor's effort to block the Jane Doe plaintiffs from "seeking discovery of any communications or documents in connection with the Other Legal matters from Baylor or any third party, including Pepper Hamilton."

Pitman ordered the parties in the case to select a third party vendor to manage production of the new materials and to do so no later than June 28.

"Pepper Hamilton is ordered to produce all materials responsive to the subpoena in its custody and control that were dated, created or received between January 1, 2003 and November 6, 2017, to the designated third part vendor immediately upon the parties' notification to the court that a vendor has been hired."

"Baylor and Pepper Hamilton shall bear the cost of the vendor, by whatever distribution they find appropriate."

After hearing the scathing Pepper Hamilton report, the school's board of regents voted on May 26, 2016 to fire head football coach Art Briles, reassign Chancellor and President Ken Starr and suspend athletic director Ian McCaw.

Baylor and Pepper Hamilton have long maintained that the law firm presented its findings orally and did not prepare a written report.

But in a June 7, order, Pitman wrote, "Pepper Hamilton's emails and billing entries strongly indicate that there was, in fact, a Pepper Hamilton investigation report. Emails between Pepper Hamilton counsel Leslie Gomez and Gina Maisto Smith on May 21, 2016, discussed 'drafts of the overall findings and recommendations' and "the narrative of the findings and recommendations.'"

"If such a report does exist, this presents additional discovery compliance issues."

But during a June 17 hearing, Pitman wrote in Friday's order, "Baylor proffered statements by a Pepper Hamilton attorney who testified that they refer to internal attorney work product."

"If plaintiffs have remaining concerns about this issue, they may raise that with the court," the order says.

A lengthy KWTX investigation revealed that the law firm fumbled in its investigation, according to university insiders and secret recordings of meetings with athletic staffers obtained by KWTX, which suggest that the firm's investigators came to Waco with an agenda to purge members of the football program and had a racial undertone in their line of questioning.

KWTX first reported, and the board later confirmed that no Baylor football players were interviewed in the months-long investigation.

Florda_mike
Question: Does this make any members of BOR, present or ex, squirm at all?
YoakDaddy
But in a June 7, order, Pitman wrote, "Pepper Hamilton's emails and billing entries strongly indicate that there was, in fact, a Pepper Hamilton investigation report. Emails between Pepper Hamilton counsel Leslie Gomez and Gina Maisto Smith on May 21, 2016, discussed 'drafts of the overall findings and recommendations' and "the narrative of the findings and recommendations.'"

"If such a report does exist, this presents additional discovery compliance issues."

But during a June 17 hearing, Pitman wrote in Friday's order, "Baylor proffered statements by a Pepper Hamilton attorney who testified that they refer to internal attorney work product."

"If plaintiffs have remaining concerns about this issue, they may raise that with the court," the order says.

I'd say the existence of a report is a significant discovery issue.
Doc Holliday
Pepper Hamilton is such a corrupt and shady law firm
Malbec
Doc Holliday said:

I would disagree with this statement. PH has long been a prestigious law firm with a solid reputation. The attorneys who conducted the investigation were jettisoned by PH just months after the fallout from the investigation. Now PH is stuck trying to defend that reputation that was built over more than a century from the actions of Smith and Gomez, and their collusion with Clune and some BU regents that played them like a fiddle. I won't be the least bit surprised if Cozen O'Connor makes some changes too.
CTbruin
The judge is from austin. Nuff said.
Florda_mike
Malbec said:

Doc Holliday said:

I would disagree with this statement. PH has long been a prestigious law firm with a solid reputation. The attorneys who conducted the investigation were jettisoned by PH just months after the fallout from the investigation. Now PH is stuck trying to defend that reputation that was built over more than a century from the actions of Smith and Gomez, and their collusion with Clune and some BU regents that played them like a fiddle. I won't be the least bit surprised if Cozen O'Connor makes some changes too.

So are you saying leaders of PH had no idea that "BU regents played em like a fiddle?"

And who do you suspect on BOR had enough ability to snooker PH?
Florda_mike
CTbruin said:

Yep about 1st thing I noticed

Surprised wasn't released just before season
Malbec
CTbruin said:

The judge's first job as an attorney was with Fulbright & Jaworski. Leon Jaworski was quite possibly the greatest lawyer Baylor University ever produced.
Malbec
Florda_mike said:

Malbec said:

Doc Holliday said:

So are you saying leaders of PH had no idea that "BU regents played em like a fiddle?"

And who do you suspect on BOR had enough ability to snooker PH?
I am saying, "If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas." In the case of the PH spaniels, they got fleas to go along with the ticks they already had.
57Bear
Florda_mike said:

Question: Does this make any members of BOR, present or ex, squirm at all?
Perhaps none more than: the current bor Chair who was a member of the committee that steered the PH "investigation" and the Vice Chair of Nominating, Governance and Regent Leadership (also of Wall Street Journal dump fame).

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Where is reporter? I sure do miss that piece of ***** He is missing in action. With the truth coming out, hopefully he can enter the Witness Protection Program.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
CTbruin
Pitman went to ut law school. Appointed by Obama

Ruling is no surprise.
Booray
Judge Pitman also went to undergrad at that reknowned bastion of liberalism, Abilene Christian University. While Obama appointed him, the judge was part of a heavily negotiated three judge package that had the support of Cornyn, Cruz and almost the entire GOP. He spent a good deal of time as US Attorney in San Antonio; top prosecutors are rarely wild-eyed liberals.

The judge is calling them as he sees them here. It's hilarious to me that after the BOR let ESPN actually stampede them off a cliff, their supporters are crying about a judge holding them to account because the judge went to law school in Austin.
PartyBear
Booray said:

Judge Pitman also went to undergrad at that reknowned bastion of liberalism, Abilene Christian University. While Obama appointed him, the judge was part of a heavily negotiated three judge package that had the support of Cornyn, Cruz and almost the entire GOP. He spent a good deal of time as US Attorney in San Antonio; top prosecutors are rarely wild-eyed liberals.

The judge is calling them as he sees them here. It's hilarious to me that after the BOR let ESPN actually stampede them off a cliff, their supporters are crying about a judge holding them to account because the judge went to law school in Austin.

Agree!
CTbruin
cow u is behind trying to get us out of Big 12 and a P5 league.

Wake up
Malbec
CTbruin said:

Wake up
You see what you are saying here? You are saying that the judge is part of a UT conspiracy to get Baylor out of the B12, and to do so, he is siding with plaintiff's who have a theory that the BOR created a narrative to blame football for university problems. That's some next-level stuff right there man.
Doc Holliday
Malbec said:

Doc Holliday said:

I guess I mean Smith and Gomez, if I recall, I believe I remember both of them having a shady reputation.
Malbec
Doc Holliday said:

Malbec said:

Doc Holliday said:

I guess I mean Smith and Gomez, if I recall, I believe I remember both of them having a shady reputation.
Osodecentx
CTbruin said:

Wake up
And BOR played into their hands.

Wake up
Osodecentx
Booray said:

Hear, hear
CTbruin
Malbec said:

CTbruin said:

Wake up
You see what you are saying here? You are saying that the judge is part of a UT conspiracy to get Baylor out of the B12, and to do so, he is siding with plaintiff's who have a theory that the BOR created a narrative to blame football for university problems. That's some next-level stuff right there man.

Nope

I'm saying that cows and their gobs of power and money are embarrassed they loose to us so much. Especially when Briles was here

That's it

xiledinok
It's always about bringing the conference the best possible bowl payouts and schedule to please tv money.
I know things don't travel fast in the bubble but Baylor brought zero bowl for a decade and a half and then had rooting tooting Texas ball coach boy give the conference and owners of the CFP the finger on scheduling. That's why he is done other than making a nationally known fool of himself.

Our scrub approach didn't go over well. It's been about repairing relationships for a while and it's working.
Baylor is not getting kicked out of the league. That thought process is a Waco thing, where Art is the winning football dope experienced by the masses.

YoakDaddy
xiledinok said:

It's always about bringing the conference the best possible bowl payouts and schedule to please tv money.
I know things don't travel fast in the bubble but Baylor brought zero bowl for a decade and a half and then had rooting tooting Texas ball coach boy give the conference and owners of the CFP the finger on scheduling. That's why he is done other than making a nationally known fool of himself.

Our scrub approach didn't go over well. It's been about repairing relationships for a while and it's working.
Baylor is not getting kicked out of the league. That thought process is a Waco thing, where Art is the winning football dope experienced by the masses.

Judge sanctions PH because they're slow walking discovery documents and there's an actual report existence reference that may play out in court this fall. X says because of football schedule. Funny!
JettRink
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Where is reporter? I sure do miss that piece of ***** He is missing in action. With the truth coming out, hopefully he can enter the Witness Protection Program.

I think Reporter is counting the votes of the Guadalupe County election and hasn't seen one come in for you yet.
Redbrickbear
Malbec said:

Doc Holliday said:

PH has long been a prestigious law firm with a solid reputation. The attorneys who conducted the investigation were jettisoned by PH just months after the fallout from the investigation. Now PH is stuck trying to defend that reputation that was built over more than a century from the actions of Smith and Gomez, and their collusion with Clune and some BU regents that played them like a fiddle. I won't be the least bit surprised if Cozen O'Connor makes some changes too.
Yep.......seems like the two lawyers who worked hand and glove with the Regents were sent packing by PH firm.

That should speak volumes.

They were basically fired.
xiledinok
YoakDaddy said:

xiledinok said:

Judge sanctions PH because they're slow walking discovery documents and there's an actual report existence reference that may play out in court this fall. X says because of football schedule. Funny!
In the end, you 'll realize that they didn't put a report together because they knew Plaintiffs (like the ones Art Briles was planning to help) and their lawyers were looking to sue them after Art put the spotlight on the school with his inability to handle the discipline side of his high paying job.

You don't care about these victims or women. Why act concerned?
YoakDaddy
xiledinok said:

YoakDaddy said:

xiledinok said:

In the end, you 'll realize that they didn't put a report together because they knew Plaintiffs (like the ones Art Briles was planning to help) and their lawyers were looking to sue them after Art put the spotlight on the school with his inability to handle the discipline side of his high paying job.

I've been about Transparency and Accountability for all since May 2016. That's very well documented. And IF (never said there was) a report was compiled and never turned over during discovery, the consequences of withholding that information certainly won't be because of football scheduling or because Briles attended the Rice game.
xiledinok
YoakDaddy said:

xiledinok said:

YoakDaddy said:

xiledinok said:

I've been about Transparency and Accountability for all since May 2016. That's very well documented. And IF (never said there was) a report was compiled and never turned over during discovery, the consequences of withholding that information certainly won't be because of football scheduling or because Briles attended the Rice game.

Does your church have as much transparency as Baylor? And you actually believe Baylor is ever going to be transparent.
Time and time again, the school follows the Baptist Church with transparency.
The Baptist Country Club board builds steeples and flings that seminary far and wide. Briles and company hurt their steeple building reputation and they rightly fired his dotard self. PH and it's conclusions indicated complete blame on the school and it's shallow, incompetent, asleep at the wheel, corrupt and valueless employees (and a few former and then current regents).
There's so many members , they have little accountability as a whole. The rogue regents and influencers have less power than in the past.
This should make you happy.

Yes, the regents ran the show like a one roomed church in Mexia.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
JettRink said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I think Reporter is counting the votes of the Guadalupe County election and hasn't seen one come in for you yet.
There he is! Baylor's $300 million dollar man!! You see any perverted little tarts at church this morning?

-- Barack Obama
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

JettRink said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

There he is! Baylor's $300 million dollar man!! You see any perverted little tarts at church this morning?
The JettRink/ Buddy bump!!! To the top of the page.

Saw this story on the ticker of the San Antonio news this morning. Too bad the folks in charge weren't honest and forthcoming to begin with. This story would be over and not just beginning.

-- Barack Obama
Osodecentx
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

JettRink said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

The JettRink/ Buddy bump!!! To the top of the page.

Saw this story on the ticker of the San Antonio news this morning. Too bad the folks in charge weren't honest and forthcoming to begin with. This story would be over and not just beginning.
Yep. We were past Bliss after 3 years.
57Bear
At least the story made The Philadelphia Enquirer: https://www.inquirer.com/news/judge-sanctions-pepper-hamilton-baylor-assault-cases-philadelphia-20190622.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.