Mueller testimony: What would change your mind?

17,526 Views | 217 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Kyle
codyorr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Robert Mueller is testifying before the House Judiciary Committee and House Intelligence Committee tomorrow (see here for the schedule and how to watch). Despite the DOJ guidance that Mueller not say much beyond the text of the report, Democrats expect the testimony will "bring [the report] to life" and provide "very substantial evidence [...] of high crimes and misdemeanors."

Before we see the testimony tomorrow, I was curious what it would take for the testimony to have an impact -- i.e., what would it take for you to change your opinion on the innocence or guilt of Trump?

If you think Trump is innocent of collusion and/or obstruction, what could be presented tomorrow that would make you believe he was guilty? If you think Trump is guilty of collusion and/or obstruction, what could be presented that would make you believe he was innocent?
codyorr
I'll go first. I think Trump is innocent of collusion but guilty of obstruction.

If Mueller provides evidence that the Trump campaign accepted or proposed an explicit quid pro quo with the Russian government in exchange for information on Clinton / interference in the election, I would change my mind. Seeking negative information on Clinton doesn't equate to collusion in my book.

If Mueller testifies that, had his understanding NOT been that a sitting President cannot be convicted of obstruction, and if there were no issues of executive privilege, he STILL would not have recommended obstruction charges, I would change my mind.
Oldbear83
There is a critical error in the OP. Our justice system is predicated on innocent until proven guilty. Consequently, President Trump is innocent unless and until proof of guilt is presented. Robert Mueller has proven to be dishonorable in his report for just that reason.

If Mueller had proof of Trump's guilt, he was morally and by statute required to present his evidence. If he did not find evidence of guilt by the President, Mueller had no right or reason to present innuendo or claims of 'possible' misbehavior. If Trump were not President but a simple citizen, Mueller's second section of his report would be legal grounds for a defamation lawsuit.
codyorr
Oldbear83 said:

There is a critical error in the OP. Our justice system is predicated on innocent until proven guilty.

Yes, but you aren't the legal system, and I'm not asking judges for their opinion. People can form opinions on innocence or guilt on their own based on whatever standard they choose (and if this forum is any indication, that standard changes frequently to suit their argument).

So is your answer there is nothing Mueller could present tomorrow that would make you believe Trump committed a crime?
Oldbear83
codyorr said:

Oldbear83 said:

There is a critical error in the OP. Our justice system is predicated on innocent until proven guilty.

Yes, but you aren't the legal system, and I'm not asking judges for their opinion. People can form opinions on innocence or guilt on their own based on whatever standard they choose (and if this forum is any indication, that standard changes frequently to suit their argument).

So is your answer there is nothing Mueller could present tomorrow that would make you believe Trump committed a crime?
As I said, Mueller has proven himself dishonorable by presenting his report in a manner contrary to his mandate. Ergo, I have no confidence in Mueller's integrity or honesty in this matter. James Comey is a personal friend and longtime colleague of Robert Mueller, and he quite obviously has an ax to grind against the President.

I regard Mueller as a potential perjurer waiting to see if he can get away with it.

For what it's worth, I think happened to Ken Starr when he was in a similar role. Call him Special Prosecutor or Special Counsel or whatever you want, the job carries an implicit expectation to produce some kind of indictment. In Starr's case it meant abandoning Whitewater and expanding the purview to find evidence he could use against President Clinton. In Mueller's case it means abandoning all ethical standards in order to find some charge he could use to malign President Trump.
codyorr
Got it. There's nothing Mueller could present that would change your mind. Thanks for sharing.
drahthaar
codyorr said:

Oldbear83 said:

Mueller would have to mea culpa either way to alter my conviction about that mess. He's going to stick to what's in the report...he has no choice unless he wants to loose the hounds of hell on either himself and his team or on Trump and the administration. Absolute worst situation is that he could roll over on the Clinton-Obama group and its Pandora's box of actions. Dems aren't going to allow that to happen. Hobson's Choice. It will be a lot of sound and fury with no real significance.
codyorr
witchmo said:

Mueller would have to mea culpa either way to alter my conviction about that mess. He's going to stick to what's in the report...he has no choice unless he wants to loose the hounds of hell on either himself and his team or on Trump and the administration. Absolute worst situation is that he could roll over on the Clinton-Obama group and its Pandora's box of actions. Dems aren't going to allow that to happen. Hobson's Choice. It will be a lot of sound and fury with no real significance.

A (not unbiased) law Professor wrote that Democrats should highlight Mueller's legal mistakes to (ironically) make Trump look more culpable. I don't know enough about the law to assess the validity of the post.

For example:

• "His report stated that ``coordination' does not have a settled definition in federal criminal law. We understood coordination to require an agreementtacit or express.' However, Congress explicitly aimed to avoid such a permissive interpretation. In 2002, Congress passed a statute declaring that campaign finance regulations `shall not require agreement or formal collaboration to establish coordination,' and any knowing and willful violations are criminal."
  • "Mueller made other legal errors that opened up loopholes for 2020 and beyond: suggesting that all `opposition research' might be protected by the First Amendment"
  • "Mueller team's indictments of the Russian hackers showed a remarkable coincidence in dates between Trump campaign signals and Russian hacking and leaking efforts, often on the same day or even within hours. But the report itself either failed to note or failed to emphasize most of these"
  • "... even if Mueller couldn't indict Trump under OLC policy, why did this policy have a double-whammy of not even being able to make legal conclusions and deliberately writing cryptically and sometimes incomprehensibly?"

Do any of those purported mistakes have high leverage to you?
curtpenn
codyorr said:

Oldbear83 said:

"...there is nothing Mueller could present tomorrow that would make you believe Trump committed a crime? "

That about covers it for me. Just meaningless Democrat Kabuki as usual.
Midnight Rider
I am willing to presume that Trump is innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law which follows the rules of evidence.

Golem
codyorr said:

I'll go first. I think Trump is innocent of collusion but guilty of obstruction.

If Mueller provides evidence that the Trump campaign accepted or proposed an explicit quid pro quo with the Russian government in exchange for information on Clinton / interference in the election, I would change my mind. Seeking negative information on Clinton doesn't equate to collusion in my book.

If Mueller testifies that, had his understanding NOT been that a sitting President cannot be convicted of obstruction, and if there were no issues of executive privilege, he STILL would not have recommended obstruction charges, I would change my mind.
codyorr
GolemIII said:

codyorr said:

Grasping at straws to find him guilty of collusion or innocent of obstruction?
Golem
codyorr said:

GolemIII said:

codyorr said:

Remind me which party is holding this hearing? Don't be obtuse.
fadskier
Nothing. This is just more Democrat crap. Republicans did it to some extent when Obama was in office but Dems are going full throttle in their TDS.

BTW, I just LOVE it when both parties say, "The American people want/know..." I've never been asked, have you?
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
codyorr
GolemIII said:

codyorr said:

GolemIII said:

codyorr said:

That shouldn't be relevant to my question; unless you're saying that you're such a partisan that nothing could be damning enough to overcome who wanted the hearing. Which is fine, as long as you recognize it. Thanks for sharing.
Golem
codyorr said:

GolemIII said:

codyorr said:

GolemIII said:

codyorr said:

That shouldn't be relevant to my question; unless you're saying that you're such a partisan that nothing could be damning enough to overcome who wanted the hearing. Which is fine, as long as you recognize it. Thanks for sharing.
So you are choosing to be obtuse and, quite laughably, projecting your own issues. Got it. You probably wanted a 're-do' on the election too.
FormerFlash
OldBear makes some very valid arguments here. There are obviously things that could come to light that should be able to persuade 90% of people, no matter which side of the argument they are on, to change their mind. The other 10% on either side are the people who won't even change their mind for ironclad evidence.

The problem is that Mueller's report tipped his hand to show his bias toward the President. He went beyond his mandate and left certain things intentionally vague to try and paint Trump in a bad light. His job was to root out illegal activity and recommend criminal prosecution if he found it. He didn't find it and couldn't recommend prosecution so he basically highlighted bad behavior and handed the thing over to the Democrats to bolster an impeachment effort.

If Mueller had any real evidence to support prosecution, it would be in the report. Anything he says tomorrow will likely just be more fodder for the Democrats to harp on about what a bad guy Trump is without anything to base any real legal recourse on. No one on the right is prepared to take Mueller's word in good faith after that hatchet job of a report. What can be said that wasn't in the report already?
codyorr
FormerFlash said:

OldBear makes some very valid arguments here. There are obviously things that could come to light that should be able to persuade 90% of people, no matter which side of the argument they are on, to change their mind. The other 10% on either side are the people who won't even change their mind for ironclad evidence.

The problem is that Mueller's report tipped his hand to show his bias toward the President. He went beyond his mandate and left certain things intentionally vague to try and paint Trump in a bad light. His job was to root out illegal activity and recommend criminal prosecution if he found it. He didn't find it and couldn't recommend prosecution so he basically highlighted bad behavior and handed the thing over to the Democrats to bolster an impeachment effort.

If Mueller had any real evidence to support prosecution, it would be in the report. Anything he says tomorrow will likely just be more fodder for the Democrats to harp on about what a bad guy Trump is without anything to base any real legal recourse on. No one on the right is prepared to take Mueller's word in good faith after that hatchet job of a report. What can be said that wasn't in the report already?

Thanks for the post. Part of the reason for my OP was to see what those "obvious things" were that would "persuade 90% of people". So far, no one has shared anything that could persuade them.

I appreciate your second point, and it relates to my original criterion on obstruction. Volume II states up front that Mueller's team could not make a criminal accusation against a sitting President due to an OLC opinion. Without that justification, I don't think it's obvious that, "he couldn't recommend prosecution" is due to "he didn't find [any criminal activity]".

I haven't read the entire report, and I'm going to guess you didn't either (probably just the introduction and executive summaries, right?). So if Mueller is asked, "would you have recommended prosecution if Trump were not the sitting President", would his answer have any weight to you?
codyorr
FormerFlash, to follow-up, this is the paragraph I'm referring to. It's the conclusion of the executive summary to Volume II.

"Because we determined not to make a traditional prosecutorial judgment, we did not draw ultimate conclusions about the President 's conduct. The evidence we obtained about the President's actions and intent presents difficult issues that would need to be resolved if we were making a traditional prosecutorial judgment. At the same time, if we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, we are unable to reach that judgment. Accordingly, while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him."

My question: are these two statements related? If Mueller's team was making a traditional prosecutorial judgement, would they still fail to conclude that POTUS committed a crime?

To me, that is the most important question Mueller can answer. If "yes", they would still fail to conclude POTUS committed a crime, that would change my mind. If "no", they would then conclude that POTUS committed a crime, that would confirm my beliefs.

Would his answer to that question change anyone's opinion?
Oldbear83
Having read the whole thing, I believe Robert Mueller never intended and never expected to testify before Congress. He's in a bit of a pickle.

Democrats, for their part, are clearly unsatisfied with what is written in Mueller's report, and they want Mueller to speak about opinion and suspicion. The idea for Democrats is to make the President look guilty so he takes political damage, but they don't want to proceed with impeachment unless they believe they can make the President look really guilty. That is, they know Trump would be acquitted if impeached, but if they can slime him and make it stick to him, they believe that hurts his re-election chances.

The problem there for Mueller, is that while he clearly dislikes President Trump, it appears Robert Mueller is not willing to lie outright to make the President look bad.

For their part, Republicans see Mueller as dishonest and out to get Trump. Several Republicans have already announced questions they intend to ask, such as why Mueller continued the investigation after he realized there was no collusion and no conspiracy. While Mr. Nadler can say whatever he likes, Robert Mueller could indeed face criminal charges if his testimony before Congress reveals contradictions with his report - Mueller could be criminally liable if the report is materially false, or if his testimony appears to be false. Further, Mueller is well aware that printing up innuendo in a report is one thing, but convincing the public in open testimony would be a much harder ask.

codyorr
I was hoping some of the more left-leaning posters would join the conversation, too. Specifically, what contradictions could Republicans show that would convince someone that Mueller's report should have fully exonerated Trump?
Doc Holliday
Anyone who thinks he's going to provide NEW evidence and give something damning...and that it will change anything is completely delusional and hopeless.

The guy is going to get grilled on faulty predicates, inconsistencies/lies in the report, questions about when he knew there was no collusion, why he was biased, why they reached with 5th grade legalese on obstruction etc.
Sam Lowry
codyorr said:

FormerFlash, to follow-up, this is the paragraph I'm referring to. It's the conclusion of the executive summary to Volume II.

"Because we determined not to make a traditional prosecutorial judgment, we did not draw ultimate conclusions about the President 's conduct. The evidence we obtained about the President's actions and intent presents difficult issues that would need to be resolved if we were making a traditional prosecutorial judgment. At the same time, if we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, we are unable to reach that judgment. Accordingly, while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him."

My question: are these two statements related? If Mueller's team was making a traditional prosecutorial judgement, would they still fail to conclude that POTUS committed a crime?

To me, that is the most important question Mueller can answer. If "yes", they would still fail to conclude POTUS committed a crime, that would change my mind. If "no", they would then conclude that POTUS committed a crime, that would confirm my beliefs.

This statement from Mueller's spokesman is probably the closest we'll get to an answer: "The Attorney General has previously stated that the Special Counsel repeatedly affirmed that he was not saying that, but for the OLC opinion, he would have found the President obstructed justice. The Special Counsel's report and his statement today made clear that the office concluded it would not reach a determination - one way or the other - about whether the President committed a crime. There is no conflict between these statements."
drahthaar
ALL errorseither in "the facts", reporting or interpretation, or in Mueller's comments always have "leverage", hoss. The issues is whether the accusation or charge is supported by those facts. This one so far still resides in the court of public opinion. Not only bad form but unwise choice in any legal system or society claiming to be rooted in justice.

Currently, the effort is not to convict Trump of anything other than being a guy who is classless on social media; a bully and a boor; and unlike previous Presidents (read: politician). Guilty on all counts but that was known before he ran for office. And the guy STILL won, despite what was known. That speaks volumes about who the Left ran. Things are not looking better for the Left I'm that regard.
codyorr
witchmo said:

ALL errorseither in "the facts", reporting or interpretation, or in Mueller's comments always have "leverage", hoss.
I wish you were right, but I think your overestimate how reasonable the average person is!
HuMcK
I doubt we learn anything new or substantial about the facts Mueller uncovered, he's already made clear he will essentially speak from the report and nothing else. In fact I think he will be cagey enough to frustrate everyone. Something to keep in mind as well are the gag orders in the Concord and Roger Stone prosecutions. The Stone one is bigger imo, because it will probably prohibit Mueller from openly talking about any coordinating Stone was doing with Assange/Wikileaks and Guccifer 2.0, which is kind of a big deal.

One lingering question I always had was why the Maria Butina case wasn't handled by Mueller, it directly relates to his mandate so I always thought it was curious that he let someone else prosecute it. He may be able to answer some relevant questions about process and prosecutorial decisions too.
codyorr
Sam Lowry said:

codyorr said:

This statement from Mueller's spokesman is probably the closest we'll get to an answer: "The Attorney General has previously stated that the Special Counsel repeatedly affirmed that he was not saying that, but for the OLC opinion, he would have found the President obstructed justice. The Special Counsel's report and his statement today made clear that the office concluded it would not reach a determination - one way or the other - about whether the President committed a crime. There is no conflict between these statements."

Thanks for sharing; I hadn't seen that. For anyone interested, here's a source for those comments.
drahthaar
codyorr said:

witchmo said:

ALL errorseither in "the facts", reporting or interpretation, or in Mueller's comments always have "leverage", hoss.
I wish you were right, but I think your overestimate how reasonable the average person is!

Average Joe and Jill generally is quite reasonable and level-headed. We're not tanking about the people here but about Congress. There is no reason there even there is a lot of rhyming going on.
BusyTarpDuster2017
codyorr said:

If Mueller provides evidence that the Trump campaign accepted or proposed an explicit quid pro quo with the Russian government in exchange for information on Clinton / interference in the election, I would change my mind.

Any explicit evidence strong enough to change your mind would have been substantive enough to include in his report to begin with, wouldn't you think? So I doubt anything groundbreaking will be revealed. There will be plenty of material for the pundits to spin though, I'm sure. Especially from the left, because we all know this hearing is nothing more than part of their 2020 campaign against Trump.
FormerFlash
codyorr said:

FormerFlash said:

Thanks for the post. Part of the reason for my OP was to see what those "obvious things" were that would "persuade 90% of people". So far, no one has shared anything that could persuade them.

I appreciate your second point, and it relates to my original criterion on obstruction. Volume II states up front that Mueller's team could not make a criminal accusation against a sitting President due to an OLC opinion. Without that justification, I don't think it's obvious that, "he couldn't recommend prosecution" is due to "he didn't find [any criminal activity]".

I haven't read the entire report, and I'm going to guess you didn't either (probably just the introduction and executive summaries, right?). So if Mueller is asked, "would you have recommended prosecution if Trump were not the sitting President", would his answer have any weight to you?

AG Barr has stated publicly that Mueller told him in the absence of the OLC opinion he still would not recommending charges. Up to this point in time, I have found Barr to be highly credible and to the point. If proof came out that he was lying about this, that would certainly persuade me substantially.

At this point in time I think the second half of Mueller's report overstepped his mandate in much the same way Comey did with Hillary during the last campaign. Given his background, Mueller should absolutely know better which is why, in my opinion, the tenor of the report reflects so poorly on him (Mueller).
Doc Holliday
FormerFlash said:

codyorr said:

FormerFlash said:

AG Barr has stated publicly that Mueller told him in the absence of the OLC opinion he still would not recommending charges. Up to this point in time, I have found Barr to be highly credible and to the point. If proof came out that he was lying about this, that would certainly persuade me substantially.

At this point in time I think the second half of Mueller's report overstepped his mandate in much the same way Comey did with Hillary during the last campaign. Given his background, Mueller should absolutely know better which is why, in my opinion, the tenor of the report reflects so poorly on him (Mueller).
There's no doubt Andrew Weissmann played a major role in the second half.

Not surprising they reached with obstruction, Weissmann was nearly destroyed for attempting the same thing with Enron guys.
57Bear
So Mueller assembled a team of individuals from the deep swamp who hated Trump and who opposed his presidency, including Peter Struck of special notoriety. His team was given an unlimited time schedule and an unlimited budget. They packaged their findings in a paper and, not having conclusive evidence, left many suggestive loose ends as possible in their report. All I expect in more insinuation (none favorable to the President).
riflebear
They are so desperate, they are going to try and spin this so many different ways it's going to be laughable.

riflebear
riflebear

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.