Minneapolis: GOP vs Liberals treatment of police

3,805 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Kyle
riflebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last night Inside the rally you have GOP supporters honoring police and cheering them on - the rule of law. Trump brings them up on stage.

Outside you have liberals throwing rocks at police & their horses disobeying the laws and yet you don't hear one liberal or politician calling these people out. It's OK to protest but not bullying and cursing and flipping off and throwing rocks and bottles at your own city police. Another failed policy of Obama we have to live w/ after 8 years.

riflebear
Could you imagine if this was a mob of GOP supporters doing this to a liberal? It would be 24/7 press talking about it - but of course they are silent.

Booray
There is a difference between anarchists and Democrats
Redbrickbear
Booray said:

Sure there is.....
riflebear
Booray said:

Then why don't 'Democrats' call this stuff out (or the media)? They sure were quick to label the tea party terrorists when they never did anything close to this.
Booray
riflebear said:

Booray said:

Then why don't 'Democrats' call this stuff out (or the media)? They sure were quick to label the tea party terrorists when they never did anything close to this.
If I recall the last presidential election correctly, the leaders of the Democratic party spent considerable time and effort urging their supporters that "when they go low, we go high."

There is no excuse for the acts of some of the protesters. But when our president spends almost every waking moment fomenting division, engaging in juvenile name calling and touting tin-foil conspiracy theories, its not surprising that things are getting uglier. There is not a successful politician in my lifetime who has spewed as 10% of divisive rhetoric that Donald Trump has over the past four years.

He has created the current climate as surely as Joseph McCarthy created the climate that existed in his era. And Trump will be remembered exactly the same way we remember McCarthy: as a stain on our country.
contrario
Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

If I recall the last presidential election correctly, the leaders of the Democratic party spent considerable time and effort urging their supporters that "when they go low, we go high."

There is no excuse for the acts of some of the protesters. But when our president spends almost every waking moment fomenting division, engaging in juvenile name calling and touting tin-foil conspiracy theories, its not surprising that things are getting uglier. There is not a successful politician in my lifetime who has spewed as 10% of divisive rhetoric that Donald Trump has over the past four years.

He has created the current climate as surely as Joseph McCarthy created the climate that existed in his era. And Trump will be remembered exactly the same way we remember McCarthy: as a stain on our country.
If there is no excuse for these actions, then stop trying to find one. This behavior is unacceptable regardless of who is in office and excuses can only be found by the partisans trying to make excuses.
Booray
contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

If there is no excuse for these actions, then stop trying to find one. This behavior is unacceptable regardless of who is in office and excuses can only be found by the partisans trying to make excuses.
More than one person can be responsible for the same wrong. Trump supporters are running from that responsibility just as fast as anyone else.
whitetrash
Redbrickbear said:

Booray said:

Sure there is.....
"Anarchists" has 10 letters; "Democrats" has only 9.
contrario
Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

More than one person can be responsible for the same wrong. Trump supporters are running from that responsibility just as fast as anyone else.
In the name of consistency, I sure hope you gave the same consideration to perceived divisive language by Obama.

Please note my use of the word perceived, as it is only divisive rhetoric if you disagree with the politics of the person saying it. Same could be said of Trump.
Booray
contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

In the name of consistency, I sure hope you gave the same consideration to perceived divisive language by Obama.

Please note my use of the word perceived, as it is only divisive rhetoric if you disagree with the politics of the person saying it. Same could be said of Trump.
That has to be a joke, right? Obama said maybe 5 things his whole tenure that could be considered divisive by anyone familiar with the English language. Trump says five things an hour.

Just for sport give me your top five Obama "divisive quotes." I'll spot you clinging to guns and religion.
contrario
Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

That has to be a joke, right? Obama said maybe 5 things his whole tenure that could be considered divisive by anyone familiar with the English language. Trump says five things an hour.

Just for sport give me your top five Obama "divisive quotes." I'll spot you clinging to guns and religion.
You clearly missed my point. You are obviously a partisan and not a free thinker. I'm not going to waste my time with you.
Booray
contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

You clearly missed my point. You are obviously a partisan and not a free thinker. I'm not going to waste my time with you.
Translation: "I can't find any Obama quotes that back up my point."

Many folks saw Obama as divisive just because he held the office. Others saw Obama as divisive based on their perception of his policies. Still others saw him as divisive because anyone outside their tribe has to be labeled as such. I get all that; I'll even agree with a little bit of it on the policy stuff.

But what this thread is talking about is the rhetoric that politicians use. And anyone who thinks that Obama or any other national politician since McCarthy has used anywhere near the divisive rhetoric as Donald Trump is the true "free thinker." As in un-tethered to reality.

Doc Holliday
Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

You do realize these violent leftist protesters started emerging with the Occupy Wall Street movement in 2011?

They were very violent in 2014,15 and 16.

Man to be downplaying the people that burn US flags and physically beat their political opposition and laying blame on a single President's words is insane.

Are you willfully blind to the dangers of the modern left? One of these days they will control the entire Democratic party and you're going to find yourself in a bad bad place.
riflebear
Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

Seriously - is this Booray person real or was he living under a rock from 2007-2017?

5 things? LOL. Contrario, we literally don't have the time to list all the divisive things he said and mocked half the country.
How about all his policies and executive orders.

contrario
Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

Many folks saw Obama as divisive just because he held the office. Others saw Obama as divisive based on their perception of his policies. Still others saw him as divisive because anyone outside their tribe has to be labeled as such. I get all that; I'll even agree with a little bit of it on the policy stuff.

But what this thread is talking about is the rhetoric that politicians use. And anyone who thinks that Obama or any other national politician since McCarthy has used anywhere near the divisive rhetoric as Donald Trump is the true "free thinker." As in un-tethered to reality.

My point is you binaries will think the other guy is the most divisive politician since [insert arbitrarily chosen time period]. That's what you guys do. Republicans said Obama was the most divisive president ever. Before that the Democrats said Bush was the most divisive and racist president ever. And so on. The act gets old. So instead of blaming irrational behavior on the "perceived" divisive rhetoric, let's just called it what it is: irrational behavior by deranged and ignorant people that use perceived divisive rhetoric as an excuse to act inappropriately.
Booray
contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

My point is you binaries will think the other guy is the most divisive politician since [insert arbitrarily chosen time period]. That's what you guys do. Republicans said Obama was the most divisive president ever. Before that the Democrats said Bush was the most divisive and racist president ever. And so on. The act gets old. So instead of blaming irrational behavior on the "perceived" divisive rhetoric, let's just called it what it is: irrational behavior by deranged and ignorant people that use perceived divisive rhetoric as an excuse to act inappropriately.
Maybe you ought to stop with the generalizations. I never said anything of the sort about any president during my lifetime other than the one who is in the Oval office today.

The fact is Trump is different; that is his whole schtick. So yes, it makes sense to say he is the most divisive. Because he tries to be.
Booray
riflebear said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

Seriously - is this Booray person real or was he living under a rock from 2007-2017?

5 things? LOL. Contrario, we literally don't have the time to list all the divisive things he said and mocked half the country.

Called your bluff. Give me 5 quotes.
whitetrash
Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

1. You didn't build that.
2. You've made enough money.
3. The Cambridge police acted stupidly
4. If I had a son...
5. Too many young men of color feel targeted by law enforcement.

and for a bonus: If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor.
Booray
whitetrash said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

1. You didn't build that.
2. You've made enough money.
3. The Cambridge police acted stupidly
4. If I had a son...
5. Too many young men of color feel targeted by law enforcement.

and for a bonus: If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor.
1. Here is the full statement, verbatim:

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me because they want to give something back. They know they didn't look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges--if you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.3-5 are all true statements. Moreover if you read 3-5 in context, Obama always, always took pains to point out that the vast majority of our law enforcement officials were brave, dedicated public servants. The point is he didn't use divisive rhetoric--the ideas he expressed made you feel uncomfortable.

A couple of important points. There is no way anyone can read that statement to say he devalued individual effort and achievement. And no one on the right ever listened to his explanation of what he meant when he said you didn't build that. He says "that" refers back to the roads and bridges, meaning that business owners build their businesses, not the roads and bridges that bring customers to their businesses. His explanation is both grammatically correct and consistent with the rest of the message.

2. Here is the statement, verbatim:

We're not, we're not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that's fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you've made enough money. But, you know, part of the American way is, you know, you can just keep on making it if you're providing a good product or providing good service. We don't want people to stop, ah, fulfilling the core responsibilities of the financial system to help grow our economy.

Again, he is not telling people that they should not make as much money as they want. He is offering a personal opinion that money should not the be all, end all. A point that makes up about 70% of the gospels. In no way does he denigrate those who disagree with him; in fact the opposite. He invites them to keep on doing it as long as they are doing it fairly.

3. Wiki's description of the comments:

During a July 22 news conference concerning health care reform, columnist Lynn Sweet, Washington, D.C. bureau chief for the Chicago Sun-Times, asked President Barack Obama "Recently, Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. was arrested at his home in Cambridge. What does that incident say to you? And what does it say about race relations in America?" Obama replied, "Now, I've I don't know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts, what role race played in that. But I think it's fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home. And number three, what I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately. That's just a fact."The President also acknowledged that Gates is a personal friend.

Obama's remarks sparked a reaction from law-enforcement professionals. James Preston, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Florida State Lodge, stated: "To make such an off-handed comment about a subject without benefit of the facts, in such a public forum, hurts police/community relations and is a setback to all of the years of progress". Preston further warned that "by reducing all contact between law enforcement and the public to the color of their skin or ethnicity is, in fact, counter-productive to improving relationships". In addition, the Cambridge police commissioner, describing the impact of the accusations, commented that "this department is deeply pained. It takes its professional pride seriously".

On July 24, 2009, a multiracial group of police officers demanded an apology from President Obama and Governor Deval Patrick for making comments which the police described as insulting. Republican congressman Thaddeus McCotter said he would introduce a resolution in the House of Representatives calling on the president to apologize to Crowley. An opinion poll released by Pew Research found that 41 percent disapproved of Obama's "handling of the situation," while only 29 percent approved,and support from white voters dropped from 53 percent to 46 percent.

Congressman Steve King drew unfavorable attention to himself when he remarked, during a radio interview, that "The president has demonstrated that he has a default mechanism in him that breaks down the side of race that favors the black person, in the case of Professor Gates and Officer (James) Crowley."

President Obama appeared unannounced at a White House press briefing on July 24, and said, "I want to make clear that in my choice of words I think I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department or Sergeant Crowley specifically and I could have calibrated those words differently." Also, that "I continue to believe, based on what I have heard, that there was an overreaction in pulling Professor Gates out of his home to the station. I also continue to believe, based on what I heard, that Professor Gates probably overreacted as well."

There is zero question in my mind that the officer overreacted by taking Gates to the station after it became clear the man had "broken into" his own house. I would say that is "acting stupidly" and I would guess that if Gate had been white it wouldn't have happened. So on one level, Obama was just saying the truth. But the bigger point is that Obama was willing to walk back the statement and try to bridge the divide he identified.

4. Verbatim transcript:

I can only imagine what these parents are going through. And when I think about this boy, I think about my own kids. And I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this, and that everybody pulls together federal, state and local to figure out exactly how this tragedy happened.

But my main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. You know, if I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon. And I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves, and that we're going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.

I literally do not understand how that can be divisive. What is wrong with that?

5. Too long t quote the whole thing, but here is the link:

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2014/09/28/remarks-president-congressional-black-caucus-awards-dinner

That speech takes great pains to celebrate the progress we have made in race relations and to urge Americans towards justice. Yes, young people of color feel targeted. That needs to change. But the speech attacks nobody and says it will change. How is that divisive?

None of those comments except possibly the Gates one where mean-spirited. And on Gates, the president acknowledged his error and bought the guy a beer. Saying Obama's rhetoric-based on the above--is divisive reflects the critic, not the speaker. If you hear division in his words, its only because you are searching for reasons to be offended.
Canada2017
Booray said:

Yes there is.

But we both know anarchists are far more likely to vote for a Democrats than a Republican.

As Democrats....like anarchists....want to fundamentally alter our economic system and culture .
riflebear
Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

Trump goes after those who trash him - he doesn't trash half the country and mock their beliefs like Obama did.
He was a coward and caved to his radical left. Obama NEVER would have won the Presidency if he would have been for gay marriage.
riflebear
Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

contrario said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

What has Trump said that was worse than that outside of going after individual members of Congress or people who attacked him first? Has Obama attacked 60 million people and mocked their beliefs? He's pro LGBTQ, Pro Immigration, Pro minority, Pro Christian, etc.

I don't agree w/ a lot of the things he says nor do I like listening to him ramble on forever but that's just how New Yorkers talk to each other.
riflebear
Speaking of Trump - he's a machine. He rarely sleeps and works all day and night.

Last night he does a 2 hour rally in Minnesota, comes back to DC and has a full day negotiating and winning w/ China and then flies down to Louisiana for another 2 hour rally. It's hilarious that people might mock when he takes time off or plays golf.

He's clearly not fit so I don't know how he pulls it off at 70+yrs old. I hope he doesn't run out of gas since he's 13 months away from the 2020 elections. Outside of a market manipulation crash, his health is what I'm most worried about.
ABC BEAR
riflebear said:

Speaking of Trump - he's a machine. He rarely sleeps and works all day and night.

Last night he does a 2 hour rally in Minnesota, comes back to DC and has a full day negotiating and winning w/ China and then flies down to Louisiana for another 2 hour rally. It's hilarious that people might mock when he takes time off or plays golf.

He's clearly not fit so I don't know how he pulls it off at 70+yrs old. I hope he doesn't run out of gas since he's 13 months away from the 2020 elections. Outside of a market manipulation crash, his health is what I'm most worried about.
Trump's golf outings are working sessions too. Now when Obama plays golf, it's only about golf.....and some pee poor golf at that, but not as bad as his free throw shooting.
Sam Lowry
Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

How is Trump divisive? Is he persecuting people as McCarthy did?
riflebear
Anyone shocked the press doesn't report on any of this? The lib press has become a disaster for this country and not holding these people accountable allows them to continue this awful behavior.

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
ABC BEAR said:

riflebear said:

Trump's golf outings are working sessions too. Now when Obama plays golf, it's only about golf.....and some pee poor golf at that, but not as bad as his free throw shooting.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
ABC BEAR
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

ABC BEAR said:

riflebear said:

.....and the exit sign is over a window in case you like to exit Rambo style.
Baylor3216
riflebear said:

Anyone shocked the press doesn't report on any of this? The lib press has become a disaster for this country and not holding these people accountable allows them to continue this awful behavior.

That be a lawsuit and some jail time coming. What a *****
Kyle
Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

That's where my head went. I think it is another redefining terms. No "I disagree with him" has been redefined as "he's divisive." While I do not support Trump's tone or Twitter, he hardly was given a fair shake. People literally were protesting democracy on election night 2016, and he was never given a chance. Immediately, he was attacked by the fake Russian narrative, which morphed from Russians changed the vote to collusion to obstruction - nothing proved and likely setup by his political opponents. Now, it is impeachment ... same song, different dance.

Rather than focusing on emotion, what policies have been divisive? I'm sure I can be proven incorrect and did not think of everything, but I do not think he's implemented a single policy that would have been considered "divisive" in October 2016. Many of his actions would have been widely praised by Democrats if a Democrat had implemented.

Again in the service of short memories, these people were claiming George W. Bush was going to declare himself emperor and making movies about killing him. The stuff they attacked Bush and his family with was a moral and human embarrassment. These people are religious fundamentalists who believe they have a right to rule and will destroy anyone that gets in their way ... a trait practiced by Lenin, Mao, Hitler, Alinsky, etc.
EatMoreSalmon
The press plays a bigger role in the divisiveness present in the country in this present day than the president does.
Oldbear83
Your extended version does not really help your case, Booray.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Booray
Kyle said:

Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

riflebear said:

Booray said:

That's where my head went. I think it is another redefining terms. No "I disagree with him" has been redefined as "he's divisive." While I do not support Trump's tone or Twitter, he hardly was given a fair shake. People literally were protesting democracy on election night 2016, and he was never given a chance. Immediately, he was attacked by the fake Russian narrative, which morphed from Russians changed the vote to collusion to obstruction - nothing proved and likely setup by his political opponents. Now, it is impeachment ... same song, different dance.

Rather than focusing on emotion, what policies have been divisive? I'm sure I can be proven incorrect and did not think of everything, but I do not think he's implemented a single policy that would have been considered "divisive" in October 2016. Many of his actions would have been widely praised by Democrats if a Democrat had implemented.

Again in the service of short memories, these people were claiming George W. Bush was going to declare himself emperor and making movies about killing him. The stuff they attacked Bush and his family with was a moral and human embarrassment. These people are religious fundamentalists who believe they have a right to rule and will destroy anyone that gets in their way ... a trait practiced by Lenin, Mao, Hitler, Alinsky, etc.
Is Trump divisive? Any kindergarten teacher would tell you he is, because no kindergarten teacher would stand for his tactics.

It starts with his tone. We have never had a president use language in public like he does. His base celebrates him for being "politically incorrect" but then protests when folks take offense to his out and out rudeness. You can't have it both ways: being rude/politically incorrect contributes to divisiveness.

Example: in the last 10 presidential elections, what names did the candidates call each other? Anybody other than Trump using derogatory nicknames for the opponent?

I will give him this: he is an equal opportunity insulter. He insults anyone who disagrees with him.

But intentional or not, his insults are usually framed in a way that they implicitly apply to groups instead of just his immediate adversary. When he complains that Megan Kelly is asking him unfair questions because she must be on her period, the comment is fairly interpreted as sexist.

When he says the judge in one of his cases can't be fair to him because the judge is Hispanic, the comment is fairly interpreted as racist.

When he tries to equalize the fault for a white supremacist killing an innocent protester, he minimizes the evil of white supremacy.

When he says he wants to ban all Muslim immigrants, that comment is fairly interpreted as religious-based discrimination.

When he tells American citizens who are elected officials that they "need to go back where they came from," that comment is fairly interpreted as a racially motivated slam against immigrants, particularly in the context of previously saying he wants more Norwegians.

When he whips up patently false claims abut minority voter fraud or invasion forces of Hispanics, his comments are fairly interpreted as racist.

Pretending that anything Obama ever said even approaches the level of malevolence Trump displays is just a sad joke. This President caters to the 25% of America that hates anything that is not like them; and adds to that another 20% of Americans who will trade his tone for policies they support. He is doing incalculable damage to our body politic because: (1) the natural reaction to his success is to lower yourself to his level (he is dragging us all into the sewer) and (2) when he loses the next election, the 25% will not understand why and concoct a million fantasies about the deep state overruling democracy.
Booray
Oldbear83 said:

Your extended version does not really help your case, Booray.

Your usual tactic. Just declare yourself right without addressing any substance.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.