Will Dallas step up?

6,030 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by curtpenn
Bearitto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Osodecentx said:

Bearitto said:

Osodecentx said:

C'mon Bearitto

Landlords raise rent to cover property taxes.

Just like Target raises prices to cover electric costs and Baylor raises tuition to cover the cost of professors

Look at your last bill from target. As it turns out, there, itemized on the receipt, you will see the exact taxes you have paid. You paid no other taxes for your transaction. Not property taxes, not payroll taxes and not income taxes.

The money I pay to Target covers property taxes, salaries, utilities and, hopefully, profit. Just because salaries aren't itemized doesn't mean they aren't included in the cost. Same with property taxes

I can't believe this discussion is this difficult

You don't see that your reasoning, such as it is, allows you to say you pay for everything the person or company who bills you purchases? But of course you do.

The real reason people want to claim they paid something they didn't, saying "you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" is to claim some ownership stake or measure of control over something they had nothing to do with.

Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Bearitto said:

Osodecentx said:

C'mon Bearitto

Just like Target raises prices to cover electric costs and Baylor raises tuition to cover the cost of professors

Look at your last bill from target. As it turns out, there, itemized on the receipt, you will see the exact taxes you have paid. You paid no other taxes for your transaction. Not property taxes, not payroll taxes and not income taxes.

The money I pay to Target covers property taxes, salaries, utilities and, hopefully, profit. Just because salaries aren't itemized doesn't mean they aren't included in the cost. Same with property taxes

So since you buy products at Target should you have a vote on their corporate board ?
No

Exactly ...buying a product does not equate to owning stock in the company .

Then why should tenants paying rent be entitled to decide the operating costs (property taxes) of a business they have no stake in ?

D. C. Bear
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Bearitto said:

Osodecentx said:

C'mon Bearitto

So since you buy products at Target should you have a vote on their corporate board ?
No

Then why should tenants paying rent be entitled to decide the operating costs (property taxes) of a business they have no stake in ?

They do have a stake (in keeping taxes reasonable), they just don't know it. If I owned rentals, I would certainly break down their rent into what they are paying me and what I am merely collecting on behalf of the government.
Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Bearitto said:

Osodecentx said:

C'mon Bearitto

No

They shouldn't

Who said they should?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU

The constitution doesnt require property ownership to vote.
Businesses do.

Seems simple. I dont understand your confusion.

I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Osodecentx
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Businesses do.

Were you answering my post? I am confused
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Sorry. Was addressing the poster that complains that citizens get to vote and doesnt understand why he cant vote as a Ford stockholder because he drives a Ford.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
JXL
quash said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

contrario said:

Bearitto said:

They need to build new schools because the new schools they have aren't new enough new schools.
Or they don't have enough schools. Growing communities have a growing need for public services.
They were closing schools just a few years ago.

Dallas needs to be broken up into smaller districts. If that means a couple of layers of administrators lose their jobs, oh well.
I like the idea, but won't that give us X numbers of new administrators?
Smaller districts can serve more students with less administrators. Large districts put a layer of Asst Admin in between faculty and top administrator.

Exactly right.
Canada2017

Businesses do.

Originally the Constitution did not define who was eligible to vote ....allowing each state to determine who was eligible.

Most states had property qualifications ....in some case up to 100 acres .

It wasn't until 1856 that the last state ( North Carolina ) abolished property requirements.

Bearitto

Sorry. Was addressing the poster that complains that citizens get to vote and doesnt understand why he cant vote as a Ford stockholder because he drives a Ford.

I haven't seen a post that said either of those things. Can you point it out? I'd be interested in reading it. Thank you.
Florda_mike
Canada2017 said:

Voters get to decide but only property owners get to pay .

As if property taxes in Texas aren't high enough?

What percent of that bond money, and property tax allotment actually makes it to the projects?
quash
Florda_mike said:

Canada2017 said:

As if property taxes in Texas aren't high enough?

What percent of that bond money, and property tax allotment actually makes it to the projects?
100%. Otherwise a crime has occurred, same as walking a check at Chilis.
J.R.
Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Exactly. Renters have no skin in the game and old folks have their taxes capped. Does not quite seem fair to the majority of homeowners that pay taxes under the age of 65. This is not just a Dallas problem. It occurs in the whole state of Texas.

In 25 years of owning investing property ...only on this message board have I ever heard the ludicrous theory that tenants pay property taxes through their rent.

Well I spend money on the products from dozens of corporations ....such spending doesn't entitle me to vote on their corporate boards .
LOL. Renters pay taxes through their rent. Any landlord that fails to collect what he pays in taxes will be out of business.

You are the only renter I've ever heard this from .

By your rationale I should have a vote on the board of Ford Motors since I spent my money on one of their F-150's.

Ridiculous.

as a renter and owner of lots of multifamily doors in Texas, I can assure you, property taxes are covered in rent.
Canada2017
J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Exactly. Renters have no skin in the game and old folks have their taxes capped. Does not quite seem fair to the majority of homeowners that pay taxes under the age of 65. This is not just a Dallas problem. It occurs in the whole state of Texas.

In 25 years of owning investing property ...only on this message board have I ever heard the ludicrous theory that tenants pay property taxes through their rent.

Well I spend money on the products from dozens of corporations ....such spending doesn't entitle me to vote on their corporate boards .
LOL. Renters pay taxes through their rent. Any landlord that fails to collect what he pays in taxes will be out of business.

By your rationale I should have a vote on the board of Ford Motors since I spent my money on one of their F-150's.

Ridiculous.

as a renter and owner of lots of multifamily doors in Texas, I can assure you, property taxes are covered in rent.

As the owner of 26 single family homes and one condo .....I can assure you there is no automatic raise in rents to cover raises in property taxes .

Rents are market driven .
D. C. Bear
Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

As the owner of 26 single family homes and one condo .....I can assure you there is no automatic raise in rents to cover raises in property taxes .

Taxes are part of that market.
Florda_mike
J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

If you owned single fam you might see it differently

Perhaps having so many doors camouflages the hit property taxes take on a Texas rental property

In Florida real estate tax is extremely lower and the hit is only about 1-1.5 months rent to pay it. Not that way in Texas for single fam homes
Florda_mike
D. C. Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

.... that discourages me from having rent property in Tx
Bearitto
Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Canada, people who say renters pay property tax are only out to justify non-tax payers outsized say vis-a-vis their contribution. They do the same thing with income taxes. They are uncomfortable with admitting that net economic drains get to determine the course of things simply by virtue of citizenship. They need to feel everyone "deserves" a say because of some equal contribution.

Just understand their motivations and move on. It's clearly a waste of time to discuss it any further.

Canada2017
D. C. Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Supply and demand determine rents.

Just like each and every other commodity or product .
Canada2017
Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Canada, people who say renters pay property tax are only out to justify non-tax payers outsized say vis-a-vis their contribution. They do the same thing with income taxes. They are uncomfortable with admitting that net economic drains get to determine the course of things simply by virtue of citizenship. They need to feel everyone "deserves" a say because of some equal contribution.

Just understand their motivations and move on. It's clearly a waste of time to discuss it any further.

Agreed
D. C. Bear
Canada2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Yes, and taxes impact the supply. Taxes that are too high will drive landlords out of business.
D. C. Bear
Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

I say renters pay property taxes because taxes have to be included in the cost or the landlords will go out of business.
Voting rights don't depend on economic contributions.
The problem is not with poor people voting, the problem is with government failing to provide equal treatment under law when it comes to taxation.
fadskier
Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Not exactly true. When I was a landlord, if my taxes went up, so did my rent. I explained it to my tenants so that they would understand why they're rent was increasing.
Florda_mike
D. C. Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Yes, and taxes impact the supply. Taxes that are too high will drive landlords out of business.

^^^ Makes my point of not wanting rentals in Texas
Canada2017
fadskier said:

Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Not exactly true. When I was a landlord, if my taxes went up, so did my rent. I explained it to my tenants so that they would understand why they're rent was increasing.

How many single family homes did you own as rentals ?
fadskier
Canada2017 said:

fadskier said:

Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Three
Canada2017
fadskier said:

Canada2017 said:

fadskier said:

Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Three

Why did you get rid of them ?
fadskier
Canada2017 said:

fadskier said:

Canada2017 said:

fadskier said:

Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Three

Why did you get rid of them ?
It was a hassle...always fixing something...lived too far away from them.
Bearitto
D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

I say renters pay property taxes because taxes have to be included in the cost or the landlords will go out of business.
The problem is not with poor people voting, the problem is with government failing to provide equal treatment under law when it comes to taxation.

No one said voting rights do or should depend on Economic contributions. What was said was that people like you desire to convince yourself and FEEL as if they are tied so as to justify those receiving what is effectively social welfare being afforded a vote on just how much social welfare they will receive. It makes you uncomfortable to acknowledge the fact that so many are net takers and you engage in sophistry to convince yourself they aren't. I'm sure you would also be one of the first to point out how sub-zero federal tax payers somehow are "tax payers too".

As for equal treatment under the law, let's start with everyone paying an equal percentage of their annual income in taxes instead of unequally taking orders of magnitude more (as a %) from the productive among us. Let's abolish the progressive tax system for its inequality under the law.
D. C. Bear
Bearitto said:

D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

No one said voting rights do or should depend on Economic contributions. What was said was that people like you desire to convince yourself and FEEL as if they are tied so as to justify those receiving what is effectively social welfare being afforded a vote on just how much social welfare they will receive. It makes you uncomfortable to acknowledge the fact that so many are net takers and you engage in sophistry to convince yourself they aren't. I'm sure you would also be one of the first to point out how sub-zero federal tax payers somehow are "tax payers too".

As for equal treatment under the law, let's start with everyone paying an equal percentage of their annual income in taxes instead of unequally taking orders of magnitude more (as a %) from the productive among us. Let's abolish the progressive tax system for its inequality under the law.

The argument was made on this thread that those who don't have a stake in paying property taxes shouldn't get to vote on them.

You should drop being an armchair psychologist. You're making yourself look foolish.

Don't institute a flat income tax. Abolish it entirely.

Bearitto
D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

The argument was made on this thread that those who don't have a stake in paying property taxes shouldn't get to vote on them.

Really? Which post?
D. C. Bear
Bearitto said:

D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Really? Which post?

This one:
Canada2017 said:

If the money I spend on transportation via a Ford truck doesn't entitle me to vote on the corporate board ....

money spent by others on rent shouldn't entitle them to vote on my property taxes .

No other way to spin it .

Bearitto
D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Really? Which post?

This one:
Canada2017 said:

If the money I spend on transportation via a Ford truck doesn't entitle me to vote on the corporate board ....

money spent by others on rent shouldn't entitle them to vote on my property taxes .

Thanks
Canada2017
D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Really? Which post?

This one:
Canada2017 said:

Whoa now.

Non property owners should be able to vote on everything ....EXCEPT property taxes.

As they have no skin in the game .
fadskier
Canada2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ridiculous.

Really? Which post?

This one:
Canada2017 said:

Whoa now.

Non property owners should be able to vote on everything ....EXCEPT property taxes.

As they have no skin in the game .
and I respectfully disagree.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.