Coronavirus updates here

431,988 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://indianexpress.com/article/india/vadodara-administration-drive-hcq-helping-in-containing-covid-19-cases-say-docs-as-analysis-begins-6486049/

Of this, the administration has analysed a sample of over 1 lakh residents, who were mostly close contacts of positive persons and the effect of HCQ in containing the transmission of the virus. According to the analysis, of the 48,873 close contacts of positive patients who took one dose of HCQ, 102 turned Covid-19 positive and 12 succumbed to the infection whereas 48 of the 17,776 close contacts of positive patients who took two doses of HCQ turned positive and only one died. The study also states that of the 33,563 close contacts of patients who took three HCQ doses, 43 tested positive and one died.

1 Dose: 48,873 close contacts of positive patients who took one dose of HCQ, 102 turned Covid-19 positive and 12 succumbed

2 doses: 48 of the 17,776 close contacts of positive patients who took two doses of HCQ turned positive and only one died.

3 doses: 33,563 close contacts of patients who took three HCQ doses, 43 tested positive and one died.

Dr Hussain told this newspaper, "There are conflicting studies about the use of HCQ. While initially the US studies rejected it and cited side-effects, European countries backed its prophylactic use. In Vadodara, it has shown positive results. We have been able to restrict cases in clusters. Nagarwada no longer has a huge number of cases. We haven't seen any one developing side effects."
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
My best friend called me last night and informed me he and his eight year old son have tested positive for Covid. His boy and he were tested because his boy had a 101 degree fever Friday night. My friend says they are both fine and exhibiting no other symptons. I am sure these two are included in the recent "exploding" cases in Texas. My buddy is 56.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
J.R.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

My best friend called me last night and informed me he and his eight year old son have tested positive for Covid. His boy and he were tested because his boy had a 101 degree fever Friday night. My friend says they are both fine and exhibiting no other symptons. I am sure these two are included in the recent "exploding" cases in Texas. My buddy is 56.
that's tough. My daughter and son are college students and they are 21 and 19 respectively. They both have 5 friends with it. Kids of that ilk just don't get it and it is a huge problem. I'm the the 8yr old didn't get it from being a dumb ass, but someone he came in contact with was a dumb ass. Good that there are no other symptoms . Has you buddy been tested?
quash
J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

that's tough. My daughter and son are college students and they are 21 and 19 respectively. They both have 5 friends with it. Kids of that ilk just don't get it and it is a huge problem. I'm the the 8yr old didn't get it from being a dumb ass, but someone he came in contact with was a dumb ass. Good that there are no other symptoms . Has you buddy been tested?
"he and his eight year old son have tested positive for Covid. "
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Yes. They tested the 8 year old and his father (my best friend) last Friday night. My buddy has followed all the rules. He wears a mask. Social distances. Mostly goes to work and the grocery store. He also tested positive with his son. I worry most about my Buddy's 75 year old Mom who has other health issues.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
ATL Bear
One more data comparative just because

52 day window from March 31 - May 21, the "national quarantine period".

1.45 million new cases
92,240 deaths

53 day window of May 22- July 12, the "reopening period".

1.7 million new cases
40,000 deaths
Booray
2 more deaths in McLennan county today. Initial report was 115 new cases over the weekend but testing data was incomplete.
cinque
A wonderful woman who taught high school English and with whom I've worshiped for years died of COVID
three days ago.
blackie
My wife had a Medicare routine follow-up today. Our doctor (a Baylor Scott and White doctor) told her there were reports that the virus was mutating to a less powerful version. Has anyone seen any LEGITIMATE, verified reports of this. It would certainly be helpful if true.
TexasScientist
Jacques Strap said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

https://medium.com/@vernunftundrichtigkeit/coronavirus-why-everyone-was-wrong-fce6db5ba809
Medium is a blog platform. Nothing in that article supports or even addresses you claim of how testing is being reported. Part of what he says is already discredited - "So: Sars-Cov-2 isn't all that new, but merely a seasonal cold virus that mutated and disappears in summer, as all cold viruses do which is what we're observing globally right now.' - the virus obviously didn't go away this summer. Some of what he says is discredited by the leading authorities on epidemiology.
Just an FYI for everyone. it wasn't just a blog post and it was written by someone in the field of Immunology. You can read this article and disagree with it as you did, but he is not just a random blogger.

The original article was published in the Swiss magazine Weltwoche (World Week) on June 10th. The author, Beda M Stadler is the former director of the Institute for Immunology at the University of Bern, a biologist and professor emeritus.
An immunologist with a mostly minority opinion with virologists and epidemiologists and even immunologists.
Jacques Strap
Fixed Link
https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2020/07/13/advent-health-ceo--orange-county-icu-s-prepared

AdventHealth CEO: Our Florida ICUs Stocked, Prepared
By Justin Soto Orange County
PUBLISHED 7:07 AM ET Jul. 13, 2020

ORLANDO, Fla. As of Monday, seven Florida counties have less than 10 percent intensive care bed capacity.

What You Need To Know
AdventHealth CEO says company's Florida ICU are prepared
Orange County AdventHealth ICU capacity at 25 percent

AdventHealth's CEO Terry Shaw said their ICU capacities across their hospital system are running about 85 to 90 percent capacity. Shaw said they're prepared to make more space if they need more ICU beds across their 30 Florida facilities.

In Orange County, a state dashboard is reporting close to 550 COVID-19 related hospitalizations.

Adult ICU bed availability across all Orange County hospitals is currently at 24.93 percent. Shaw added ICU length of stay for coronavirus and the death rate have each dropped in half.

"We have adequate personal protective equipment," Shaw said. "We have a stockpile of ventilators, and we have an amazing clinical team that have taken best practices from around the world and put them into our treatment protocols."

Also, Shaw said AdventHealth also just got another shipment of the drug remdisivir in from the state, which helps treat coronavirus complications.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo sent Florida an emergency shipment of the drug wanting to help, but Governor Ron DeSantis said the state doesn't need it right now.
Doc Holliday
Uh oh.

Jack Bauer
Doc Holliday said:

Uh oh.

Oops.
Doc Holliday
Jack Bauer said:

Doc Holliday said:

Uh oh.

Oops.
Where else is this happening?

If this is nationwide...
Jack Bauer
If you are reporting 98% positive cases, you would have called the Governor ASAP.
Jacques Strap
Doc Holliday said:

Uh oh.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-hospitals-confirm-mistakes-in-floridas-covid-19-report

The Florida Department of Health released its daily coronavirus testing report showing a statewide positivity rate of 11 percent, but FOX 35 News investigated and quickly noticed some shocking positivity rates.

Countless labs have reported a 100 percent positivity rate, which means every single person tested was positive. Other labs had very high positivity rates. FOX 35 found that testing sites like Centra Care reported that 83 people were tested and all tested positive. Then, NCF Diagnostics in Alachua reported 88 percent of tests were positive.

How could that be? FOX 35 News investigated these astronomical numbers, contacting every local location mentioned in the report.

The report showed that Orlando Health had a 98 percent positivity rate. However, when FOX 35 News contacted the hospital, they confirmed errors in the report. Orlando Health's positivity rate is only 9.4 percent, not 98 percent as in the report.

The report also showed that the Orlando Veteran's Medical Center had a positivity rate of 76 percent. A spokesperson for the VA told FOX 35 News on Tuesday that this does not reflect their numbers and that the positivity rate for the center is actually 6 percent.

FOX 35 News has yet to hear from the other labs or the Florida Department of Health to explain how the error could have been made on an official report.
riflebear
Jacques Strap
July 4 Total 1,308 | COVID 568 | 7 Day Avg. Growth Rate for ICU 4.3%
July 5 Total 1,307 | COVID 589 | 7 Day Avg. Growth Rate for ICU 4.3%
July 6 Total 1,362 | COVID 600 | 7 Day Avg. Growth Rate for ICU 4.0%
July 7 Total 1,364 | COVID 615 | 7 Day Avg. Growth Rate for ICU 3.7%
July 8 Total 1,394 | COVID 626 | 7 Day Avg. Growth Rate for ICU 3.3%
July 9 Total 1,394 | COVID 646 | 7 Day Avg. Growth Rate for ICU 3.2%
July 10 Total 1,420 | COVID 651 | 7 Day Avg. Growth Rate for ICU 3.0%
July 11 Total 1,368 | COVID 646 | 7 Day Avg. Growth Rate for ICU 2.3%
July 12 Total 1,365 | COVID 682 | 7 Day Avg. Growth Rate for ICU 2.0%
July 13 Total 1,352 | COVID 674 | 7 Day Avg. Growth Rate for ICU 1.9% COVID and overall ICU patient count down + Growth rate down
https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/

J.R.
I'm hearing Gov. Abbott will give cities the option of shutting down this Thursday. Dallas will be shut down. Would assume Houston too. Comes from a good source. We will see. We definitely reopened too early. And, hey , the shutdowns are killing my businesses.
trey3216
J.R. said:

I'm hearing Gov. Abbott will give cities the option of shutting down this Thursday. Dallas will be shut down. Would assume Houston too. Comes from a good source. We will see. We definitely reopened too early. And, hey , the shutdowns are killing my businesses.

I'm hearing it won't be an option, and it will be announced tomorrow to be in effect by Friday. The. We'll hear about another round of stimulus by Friday afternoon or over the weekend
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Florda_mike
trey3216 said:

J.R. said:

I'm hearing it won't be an option, and it will be announced tomorrow to be in effect by Friday. The. We'll hear about another round of stimulus by Friday afternoon or over the weekend

Democrat circle jerk incoming

Love those mail in ballots

No Trump vs Dementia Joe debates

Democrats are saved

Hallelujah hallelujah

No MLB?
nein51
trey3216 said:

J.R. said:

Gotta print that **** before the ink we purchase from China dries out.
BaylorBJM
If I had a nickel for every time one of the "I heard from a source such-and-such is going to shut down soon"...

Also, just saw that our friends to the north of us have extended the border shutdown another 30 days. Just fantastic. Things are going swimmingly, good job America.

J.R.
BaylorBJM said:

If I had a nickel for every time one of the "I heard from a source such-and-such is going to shut down soon"...

Also, just saw that our friends to the north of us have extended the border shutdown another 30 days. Just fantastic. Things are going swimmingly, good job America.

Hide and watch, clown.
Florda_mike
BaylorBJM said:

Also, just saw that our friends to the north of us have extended the border shutdown another 30 days. Just fantastic

What do you mean by this statement?
Jacques Strap
https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/14/moderna-covid19-vaccine-first-data-show-spurs-immune-response/
First data for Moderna Covid-19 vaccine show it spurs an immune response

JULY 14, 2020

Moderna's Covid-19 vaccine led patients to produce antibodies that can neutralize the novel coronavirus that causes the disease, though it caused minor side effects in many patients, according to the first published data from an early-stage trial of the experimental shot.

The results were published Tuesday in the New England Journal of Medicine. Moderna had previously released some results in a press release, but many experts said they were not sufficient to draw many conclusions. Even now, many are withholding judgment.

"It certainly is a good beginning," said Betty Diamond, director at the Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research, who was not involved in the trial. "There are certainly lots of things we don't know yet right now."
Sam Lowry
Florda_mike said:

BaylorBJM said:

Also, just saw that our friends to the north of us have extended the border shutdown another 30 days. Just fantastic

It means the US is a public health pariah. Haven't you noticed?
J.R.
Sam Lowry said:

Florda_mike said:

BaylorBJM said:

It means the US is a public health pariah. Haven't you noticed?
Canada, Mikey.
trey3216
Florda_mike said:

trey3216 said:

J.R. said:

Democrat circle jerk incoming

Love those mail in ballots

No Trump vs Dementia Joe debates

Democrats are saved

Hallelujah hallelujah

No MLB?

Ok
trey3216
nein51 said:

trey3216 said:

J.R. said:

Gotta print that **** before the ink we purchase from China dries out.
China can't afford to stop
cinque
Potentially good news on the vaccine front:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/moderna-says-its-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-produced-robust-immune-response-in-all-patients.html
Oldbear83
cinque said:

Potentially good news on the vaccine front:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/moderna-says-its-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-produced-robust-immune-response-in-all-patients.html
Thanks cinque, we all need some good news, and a vaccine would be good news for everyone.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
LTbear
Some really good news indeed. The global scientific community has really rallied around taking down this virus. With this many people working on candidate vaccines, all the better odds that one will prove useful.
Canada2017
LTbear said:

Some really good news indeed. The global scientific community has really rallied around taking down this virus. With this many people working on candidate vaccines, all the better odds that one will prove useful.

Have said from the very beginning of this pandemic .....

Our only hope is in the hands of a relatively few geniuses within the scientific community .

As our people are simply too undisciplined and selfish to insure the success of a lockdown .

Still betting on a viable vaccine by February .
Jacques Strap
Interesting read

https://news.yahoo.com/is-too-much-hope-being-put-into-a-coronavirus-vaccine-192703455.html

Is too much hope being put into a coronavirus vaccine?
First Page Last Page
Page 99 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.