Coronavirus updates here

398,801 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
D. C. Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

D. C. Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

D. C. Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

D. C. Bear said:

blackie said:

Doc Holliday said:

Perhaps as the Reps feel in their states after Trump telling us it would go away in a few weeks and how we have turned the corner.

The problem is that people refuse to do the things that will reduce the resurgence.

Or maybe the things people do to reduce the resurgence don't reduce the resurgence.
It does in the countries that do what is necessary.

Many other countries previously cited as ones that "do what is necessary" are experiencing increased numbers of COVID cases.
I don't think so. Not in New Zealand, Australia, Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, or China. Even Canada is doing better than the US.

Back in the day, people cited any number of European countries that are now seeing rising cases as examples of how to beat the virus.

How COVID impacts different populations is complicated and populations in various countries are unlikely to be equally susceptible to dying from this virus for any number of reasons. Those who want, for political reasons, to latch on to single and simple explanations are going to do exactly what you have done.
People are not complying in those countries and they're geting an increase. The virus is spread the same way around the world. What is it specifically that you think Taiwan or South Korea or New Zealland are doing that we cannot do here?

Go educate yourself about what Taiwan has done and you will be able to answer that question for yourself.
Just what I thought. You don't know of anything.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
TexasScientist
ATL Bear said:

I think geography has to also be looked at for those nations "doing well". Mostly islands and/or isolated peninsulas (South Korea). Makes people containment and flow restriction easier, not to mention the liquid buffer zones for air current transfer.
Just the opposite. Masks (type and how it is worn is improtant) are an important part of prevention along with other measures. Taiwan has a population density much like that of NYC. It is much easier to spread the virus in those high density population areas. Taiwan had learned its lesson from the swine flu pandemic, which was disasterous for them. This time they had a plan in place, and they were prepared. They have implemented their plan and it has been highly successful, as opposed to the swine flu. They had people from mainland China entering their country, more than the US and had their first case on the same day as the US. The difference is they followed the science on how to address a pandemic and it has worked. Conversly, we through out our pandemic playbook that was started by the Bush administration, in favor of running a WH PR campaign to market ignorance and complacency.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
ATL Bear
TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

I think geography has to also be looked at for those nations "doing well". Mostly islands and/or isolated peninsulas (South Korea). Makes people containment and flow restriction easier, not to mention the liquid buffer zones for air current transfer.
Just the opposite. Masks (type and how it is worn is improtant) are an important part of prevention along with other measures. Taiwan has a population density much like that of NYC. It is much easier to spread the virus in those high density population areas. Taiwan had learned its lesson from the swine flu pandemic, which was disasterous for them. This time they had a plan in place, and they were prepared. They have implemented their plan and it has been highly successful, as opposed to the swine flu. They had people from mainland China entering their country, more than the US and had their first case on the same day as the US. The difference is they followed the science on how to address a pandemic and it has worked. Conversly, we through out our pandemic playbook that was started by the Bush administration, in favor of running a WH PR campaign to market ignorance and complacency.
I don't think you understand what Taiwan did. Unless you're arguing that completely shutting down and isolating your nation from all foreign entry of any sort is "science".
D. C. Bear
TexasScientist said:

D. C. Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

D. C. Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

D. C. Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

D. C. Bear said:

blackie said:

Doc Holliday said:

Perhaps as the Reps feel in their states after Trump telling us it would go away in a few weeks and how we have turned the corner.

The problem is that people refuse to do the things that will reduce the resurgence.

Or maybe the things people do to reduce the resurgence don't reduce the resurgence.
It does in the countries that do what is necessary.

Many other countries previously cited as ones that "do what is necessary" are experiencing increased numbers of COVID cases.
I don't think so. Not in New Zealand, Australia, Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, or China. Even Canada is doing better than the US.

Back in the day, people cited any number of European countries that are now seeing rising cases as examples of how to beat the virus.

How COVID impacts different populations is complicated and populations in various countries are unlikely to be equally susceptible to dying from this virus for any number of reasons. Those who want, for political reasons, to latch on to single and simple explanations are going to do exactly what you have done.
People are not complying in those countries and they're geting an increase. The virus is spread the same way around the world. What is it specifically that you think Taiwan or South Korea or New Zealland are doing that we cannot do here?

Go educate yourself about what Taiwan has done and you will be able to answer that question for yourself.
Just what I thought. You don't know of anything.

I have actually read about what Taiwan was able to do and understand how our societies and medical systems differ. Just go do some research for yourself.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

cinque said:

As the Trump bunch insists it's turning a corner on controlling COVID, today the US recorded its highest number of cases in a single day; 98,500

You will get your wish. This election will show how strong or weak our country is. One side is banking on fear getting to the finish line. I am hopeful that is not today's America.
LMAO. Trump is a purveyor of fear at every rally he holds.
No, that's the candidate living in his basement
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
TexasScientist
ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

I don't think you understand what Taiwan did. Unless you're arguing that completely shutting down and isolating your nation from all foreign entry of any sort is "science".
Taiwan Achieves Record 200 Days With No Local Coronavirus Cases

https://time.com/5905129/taiwan-coronavirus-record/

Taiwan will be among the few economies to grow this year, with the government in August forecasting that the gross domestic product will expand 1.56% in 2020.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

cinque said:

As the Trump bunch insists it's turning a corner on controlling COVID, today the US recorded its highest number of cases in a single day; 98,500

You will get your wish. This election will show how strong or weak our country is. One side is banking on fear getting to the finish line. I am hopeful that is not today's America.
Wasn't it Trump who locked himself in the basement of the WH?
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

cinque said:

Nope. it's Basement Biden vs. Traveling Trump.
robby44
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

cinque said:

Yep Bunker boy did during the protests then came out and gassed Lafayette Park
loanbear
TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

Taiwan will be among the few economies to grow this year, with the government in August forecasting that the gross domestic product will expand 1.56% in 2020.
Taiwan is an island that is 19 times smaller than Texas with a population size less than Texas, but I am sure you knew that. Comparing Taiwan, South Korea etc to a US response is simply an uneducated way to try and drive some type of correlation to your argument. All it ends up doing is making you look like you are pushing a narrative which you are. Exact same strategy of doom and dark winter the Dems are pushing to try and win an election out of fear.

The virus is real, no doubt but some of the decisions and severe change to lifestyles due to a virus that has little to no risk to anyone under 70 without conditions is simply mind boggling.
ATL Bear
TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

That article literally just repeated what I said about isolation of the island and travel restrictions.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

cinque said:

Nope. it's Basement Biden vs. Traveling Trump.
Hmm, I think it was Trump who retreated to the basement of the WH while they protested outside. And, as I recall it was Trump, who at the first sign of being sick, in a panic had himself rushed to the hospital and insisted upon every possible experimental treatment he could get for covid.
TexasScientist
loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

Taiwan is an island that is 19 times smaller than Texas with a population size less than Texas, but I am sure you knew that. Comparing Taiwan, South Korea etc to a US response is simply an uneducated way to try and drive some type of correlation to your argument. All it ends up doing is making you look like you are pushing a narrative which you are. Exact same strategy of doom and dark winter the Dems are pushing to try and win an election out of fear.

The virus is real, no doubt but some of the decisions and severe change to lifestyles due to a virus that has little to no risk to anyone under 70 without conditions is simply mind boggling.
Taiwan is similar in size to NYC, where the population density makes it even more difficult to control.The priniciples are the same, just at a different scale for different countries. China has it under control. Australia has it under control, as does New Zealand. It's not just who it kills, but the percentage of long haulers we're now starting to learn about. It can be controlled without wrecking economies, if people are willing to tolerate some temporary inconvenience.
Oldbear83
Malice and paranoia color your thoughts
loanbear
TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

Taiwan is similar in size to NYC, where the population density makes it even more difficult to control.The priniciples are the same, just at a different scale for different countries. China has it under control. Australia has it under control, as does New Zealand. It's not just who it kills, but the percentage of long haulers we're now starting to learn about. It can be controlled without wrecking economies, if people are willing to tolerate some temporary inconvenience.
Really. Island Country, island country, complete false data out of China where this beast started. But you go ahead and base your decisions on the Chinese and see where that gets you. Risk tolerance is based on numbers and the stats say that this has an extremely low death rate. You can't stake moral high ground on the fact that nobody should die. That is my biggest beef with your stance. Outlaw guns, smoking, cars, airplanes, knives, electricity, all those things kill people. Where does it stop? If it was not covid it would be something else. I hate that anyone has to die, but that is the way God designed the world we live in. Bottom line is God is in control and working through this. I make my decisions based on the intelligence he gave me and intelligent people are not going to change their lives over a .0005 percent death rate. It just makes zero sense. Furthermore, my job is to protect my Wife and kids first. I am not going to ask them to shut down their lives and deal with the incredible emotional issues associated with that based on a risk factor of .0005. How can you?
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

Malice and paranoia color your thoughts
Projecting?
TexasScientist
loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

Really. Island Country, island country, complete false data out of China where this beast started. But you go ahead and base your decisions on the Chinese and see where that gets you. Risk tolerance is based on numbers and the stats say that this has an extremely low death rate. You can't stake moral high ground on the fact that nobody should die. That is my biggest beef with your stance. Outlaw guns, smoking, cars, airplanes, knives, electricity, all those things kill people. Where does it stop? If it was not covid it would be something else. I hate that anyone has to die, but that is the way God designed the world we live in. Bottom line is God is in control and working through this. I make my decisions based on the intelligence he gave me and intelligent people are not going to change their lives over a .0005 percent death rate. It just makes zero sense. Furthermore, my job is to protect my Wife and kids first. I am not going to ask them to shut down their lives and deal with the incredible emotional issues associated with that based on a risk factor of .0005. How can you?
Because I realize that you don't have wreck lives to get control of this, but you can save lives. Our mortality rate is 2.5 times that of Canada. If we did what Canada has done, we'd only have 90,000 deaths. We're only talking about inconveniences for a short time that will save lives. If God was is in control, he's not doing a very good job. And, why would a 'loving' god design the world where people have to die? If you want to protect your wife and kids, then use your intelligence, to help them and others to mitigate this disease until we have viable theraputics and vaccines. Just because China is problematic, doesn't mean we cannot learn from them and other countries. Why follow a sociopath malignant narcissist over the edge?
D. C. Bear
TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

Because I realize that you don't have wreck lives to get control of this, but you can save lives. Our mortality rate is 2.5 times that of Canada. If we did what Canada has done, we'd only have 90,000 deaths. We're only talking about inconveniences for a short time that will save lives. If God was is in control, he's not doing a very good job. And, why would a 'loving' god design the world where people have to die? If you want to protect your wife and kids, then use your intelligence, to help them and others to mitigate this disease until we have viable theraputics and vaccines. Just because China is problematic, doesn't mean we cannot learn from them and other countries. Why follow a sociopath malignant narcissist over the edge?

You should recognize the fallacy in your logic, but you don't.
cinque
France, Belgium and UK forced to shut down again for second time.
Why is this happening?
D. C. Bear
cinque said:

Why is this happening?

Because of Trump.
nein51
Because this is a virus with no cure/vaccine and because humans need interaction. Also people are weighing risk and the risk is incredibly minimal to most people.
contrario
TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

You look like a moron pointing to China as an example.
Baylor3216
TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

Lmao. If people us just worn masks for a month back in March we'd all be done with this

You're a fool if you think that.

Just research Sri Lanka for a bit and you'll see how foolish your "science" is but sure, keep on believing
TexasScientist
Baylor3216 said:

TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

Lmao. If people us just worn masks for a month back in March we'd all be done with this

You're a fool if you think that.

Just research Sri Lanka for a bit and you'll see how foolish your "science" is but sure, keep on believing
Are you really that ignorant?
TexasScientist
contrario said:

TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

China may be suspect in their reporting, but they are a large population country that appear to have it under control, which is germain to the question. We'd likely know if they had a serious spike somewhere. Their country isn't that closed.
cinque
D. C. Bear said:

cinque said:

Why is this happening?

Because of Trump.
I think it's because governments and citizens refuse to consistently do as the medical experts advise them to.
Citizens skirt safety protocols and governments rush to open when they know they shouldn't.
contrario
TexasScientist said:

contrario said:

TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

China may be suspect in their reporting, but they are a large population country that appear to have it under control, which is germain to the question. We'd likely know if they had a serious spike somewhere. Their country isn't that closed.

There is no 'but'. China is suspect in their reporting. Period.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

contrario said:

TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

** sigh **

You do know that all mass media in China is government-controlled, right?

When the Central Committee decides something is important, yes they can close the country that way.
TexasScientist
contrario said:

TexasScientist said:

contrario said:

TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

There is no 'but'. China is suspect in their reporting. Period.
I've been to China several times. We would know if the virus were out of control there.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

contrario said:

TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

** sigh **

When the Central Committee decides something is important, yes they can close the country that way.
Yes. I've been to China several times. They control the media, but they aren't in control of information to the extent that something like wide spread out of control covid virus could be kept quiet. We would know if there were a widespread out of control problem there. They weren't able to keep the original outbreak quiet.
Canada2017
D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

blackie said:

Doc Holliday said:

Let's try and see.

I wash my hands frequently, social distance as much as possible and wear a mask in public, but a lot of people I know who are doing the same things as I am are also catching the virus.
Family members getting it outside the family then spreading it throughout the family .
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

contrario said:

TexasScientist said:

loanbear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

** sigh **

Yes. I've been to China several times. They control the media, but they aren't in control of information to the extent that something like wide spread out of control covid virus could be kept quiet. We would know if there were a widespread out of control problem there. They weren't able to keep the original outbreak quiet.

How much Taiwan or Hong Kong news do you watch? The MSS learned from the initial crisis and has modified its procedures.

BUgolfbear
They aren't "forced" to shut down. They are choosing to shut down. Shutting down flies in the face of science involving immunity and antibodies, but hey, when you have a nationalized, single payor healthcare system you have to think ahead and be prepared to ration your healthcare. Thank God for the US with a hospital and testing center on every urban block (at least in North Texas). And ERs that are open 24/7 and not rotating for treatment.
Jacques Strap
Interesting choice for a virus that mostly kills old people.

Biden's Pick for Coronavirus Task Force: 'Living Too Long Is Also a Loss'

Quote:

This morning, President-elect Biden announced that his coronavirus task force would include Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, chair of the Department of Medical Ethics and Health Policy at the University of Pennsylvania.

In a 2014 essay in The Atlantic, Emanuel, explained why he hoped to die at age 75, and why he finds the idea of living past that date to be morally problematic:

2014 The Atlantic - Story by Ezekiel J. Emanuel

Why I Hope to Die at 75

First Page Refresh
Page 131 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.