Baylor Chapel and False Teaching

28,251 Views | 279 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexasScientist
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any truth to this report regarding chapel Feb 12?

https://www.facebook.com/288369236635/posts/10157919420306636/

Redbrickbear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Any truth to this report regarding chapel Feb 12?

https://www.facebook.com/288369236635/posts/10157919420306636/

Chapel speakers were basically always leftists when I was there 2004-2008
bearassnekkid
Part of the reason students and parents choose Baylor is to be spared this kind of liberal indoctrination that occurs in much of leftist-run academia. And Chapel, in particular, should be the one place that Baylor can most freely foster its Christian mission. Shame on BU for giving platform to this crap (which is antithetical to its mission) but especially in this setting.
PartyBear
Good God! The last thing Baylor needs is the "KGB" of Reynolds vernacular from the 80s. Baylor will never be tier one if some of y'all have your way in terms of only right wing voices being able to speak on campus. This is a universty. Go to Antioch if you want to hear repeats of what you already believe.
contrario
PartyBear said:

Good God! The last thing Baylor needs is the "KGB" of Reynolds vernacular from the 80s. Baylor will never be tier one if some of y'all have your way in terms of only right wing voices being able to speak on campus. This is a universty. Go to Antioch if you want to hear repeats of what you already believe.
Should the more liberal universities be removed from Tier 1 for silencing right-leaning speakers? Because that happens frequently and i don't remember you being critical of that.

For the record, I have no problem with this speaker coming to Baylor.
PartyBear
It doesnt happen frequently and my concern is Baylor. I want it to achieve its Tier one goals.
Malbec
PartyBear said:

It doesnt happen frequently and my concern is Baylor. I want it to achieve its Tier one goals.
So in order to achieve it's goals, Baylor must forsake the principals on which it was founded? Sounds like either you are wrong, or Baylor should reassess its goals.
BaylorFTW
PartyBear said:

So what if Baylor never becomes Tier One? Should we honor God or honor man? If you wanted to sell out God, you should have gone to SMU or Duke.
Sam Lowry
PartyBear said:

You can't have a real dialogue unless you have a voice of your own. Schools abandoning the richness of the Western tradition in favor of grim identity politics and cultural pessimism are already too many to count. Baylor has a unique contribution to make even if - perhaps especially if - it means being a voice in the wilderness.
Aliceinbubbleland
Young Conservatives of Texas @ Baylor.

Being conservative to me means willing to listen to opposing viewpoints. Young Conservatives of Texas @ Baylor really means Young Conservatives of Baylor @ Baylor. They sound as if they were still in mother's lap listening to Here Comes Santa Claus.
fadskier
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Young Conservatives of Texas @ Baylor.

Being conservative to me means willing to listen to opposing viewpoints. Young Conservatives of Texas @ Baylor really means Young Conservatives of Baylor @ Baylor. They sound as if they were still in mother's lap listening to Here Comes Santa Claus.
I think it all depends on the delivery. As a Southern Baptist, I would expect Baylor to present a Christian view on things and if presenting something antithetic to the Christian viewpoint, explain why.

I do not expect Baylor to be politically correct.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
CHP Bear
PartyBear said:

So, as I understand your post, BU can only be tier 1 if it lets any derelict spew BS in the Chapel. No other venues on campus to spew BS? Wonder, who determines venue? My son walked with a Hankamer Degree. If BU wasn't tier one in my mind, Hankamer would be a figment of his and mine imagination. I have my own standards for tier one and BU meets them. FYI, I'm for free speech. Even if I disagree with subject matter. In an appropriate venue.
Ludwig von Missi
Chapel at Baylor is kind of an interesting deal. I remember one time we had some ex-mafia dude up there talking about how he whacked people. I guess it was supposed to be framed as some kind of redemption story, but it was mostly him just telling stories about his time in the mob. Pretty interesting, but kinda ***?
Booray
Malbec said:

PartyBear said:

So in order to achieve it's goals, Baylor must forsake the principals on which it was founded? Sounds like either you are wrong, or Baylor should reassess its goals.
Bingo. I have always thought that the idea we were going to research ourselves into the next "tier" of universities was ludicrous. First, we don't have the money for it; second, when we get the money we can't help but to spend it on athletics and third, even if we got the money and spent it on the "right" thing, the research would be outweighed by our reputation as a conservative, Christian school. .

Baylor's mission should be to be the best teaching major university in the nation.
quash
Sam Lowry said:

PartyBear said:

You can't have a real dialogue unless you have a voice of your own. Schools abandoning the richness of the Western tradition in favor of grim identity politics and cultural pessimism are already too many to count. Baylor has a unique contribution to make even if - perhaps especially if - it means being a voice in the wilderness.
The Western tradition includes hearing various viewpoints, including those of identitarians.

Maybe BU should post a trigger warning for the YCs.
drahthaar
Booray said:

Malbec said:

PartyBear said:

Bingo. I have always thought that the idea we were going to research ourselves into the next "tier" of universities was ludicrous. First, we don't have the money for it; second, when we get the money we can't help but to spend it on athletics and third, even if we got the money and spent it on the "right" thing, the research would be outweighed by our reputation as a conservative, Christian school. .

Baylor's mission should be to be the best teaching major university in the nation.
That ship sailed with Sloan and the sitting Regents. Not likely to return to port, so to speak.
Sam Lowry
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

PartyBear said:

The Western tradition includes hearing various viewpoints, including those of identitarians.

And that's good as long as we don't lose who we are. I learned things at state schools that I didn't at Baylor. I also learned things at Baylor that I didn't get elsewhere. No school is all things for all people.
ScottS
Booray said:

Malbec said:

PartyBear said:

If a donor says $ is for athletics we cant just take that $ and allocate it for something else.
Sam Lowry
ScottS said:

Booray said:

Malbec said:

PartyBear said:

If a donor says $ is for athletics we cant just take that $ and allocate it for something else.
We could say a certain percentage of every donation must go to academics. Always thought that would be a good idea.
Booray
ScottS said:

Booray said:

Malbec said:

PartyBear said:

I am just saying that is who we are--and it doesn't equate to a "Tier 1" university.
Justin Kates
Chapel exists to advance the Kingdom of God, not the liberal agenda. This is unacceptable.
-Justin Kates
LIB,MR BEARS
Crash Davis said:

Chapel at Baylor is kind of an interesting deal. I remember one time we had some ex-mafia dude up there talking about how he whacked people. I guess it was supposed to be framed as some kind of redemption story, but it was mostly him just telling stories about his time in the mob. Pretty interesting, but kinda ***?
You say "supposed to be framed". I guess if any speaker that is going to present something that is in opposition to traditional Baptist theology I could live with it so long as it is "framed" that way and used as an educational tool.
quash
Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

PartyBear said:

And that's good as long as we don't lose who we are. I learned things at state schools that I didn't at Baylor. I also learned things at Baylor that I didn't get elsewhere. No school is all things for all people.
It's an hour, not a graded course. The YCs would be better served raising the speaker's position in appropriate classes for discussion.

I do not recall a single Forum speaker whose talk was discussed in class. Looking back: too bad.
bearassnekkid
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

PartyBear said:

Lol, yeah. Because of an email expressing disapproval. From one organization. Meanwhile "Tier 1" universities have full blown mobs rioting and violence on campus if a conservative speaker dare be allowed to set foot on campus.

This is chapel. At a religious school. Allowing some group on campus to invite this weirdo to come speak is perfectly fine . . . but having the school invite her to present her beliefs in chapel is antithetical to the school's stated mission and is eyebrow-raising to those who happen to care about what the school supposedly stands for.

Those on this thread who think Baylor shouldn't be a religious school in the first place are obviously fine with it. They also probably should have picked a different school.
quash
bearassnekkid said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

PartyBear said:

Lol, yeah. Because of an email expressing disapproval. From one organization. Meanwhile "Tier 1" universities have full blown mobs rioting and violence on campus if a conservative speaker dare be allowed to set foot on campus.

This is chapel. At a religious school. Allowing some group on campus to invite this weirdo to come speak is perfectly fine . . . but having the school invite her to present her beliefs in chapel is antithetical to the school's stated mission and is eyebrow-raising to those who happen to care about what the school supposedly stands for.

Those on this thread who think Baylor shouldn't be a religious school in the first place are obviously fine with it. They also probably should have picked a different school.
What Tier 1 universities have had riots over a conservative speaker? I'm aware of violence at some small liberal arts places like Middlebury, but the only Tier 1 I can recall is Cal Berkeley. The home of the Free Speech Movement, ironically.
Booray
Justin Kates said:

Chapel exists to advance the Kingdom of God, not the liberal agenda. This is unacceptable.
Kingdom advancers would do well to understand the world they are trying to advance.

Nobody is making the kids agree with what is said. It is supposed to be a marketplace of ideas.
Sam Lowry
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

PartyBear said:

It's an hour, not a graded course. The YCs would be better served raising the speaker's position in appropriate classes for discussion.

I do not recall a single Forum speaker whose talk was discussed in class. Looking back: too bad.
I understand that. I'm not taking it as the writing on the wall but as one possible sign of the administration's mindset and where we may be headed.

Even so, a pagan prayer in a Baptist chapel service is completely inappropriate. That isn't something YC should have to explain.
Sam Lowry
Booray said:

Justin Kates said:

Kingdom advancers would do well to understand the world they are trying to advance.

Nobody is making the kids agree with what is said. It is supposed to be a marketplace of ideas.
That's why we need to be realistic about the PC left even as we try to accommodate them. A marketplace of ideas is ultimately not what they want.
ABC BEAR
Crash Davis said:

37 arrests, no convictions.
BUgolfbear
Chapel is mandatory. If a liberal, anti-Christian speaker wants to come spout nonsense it should not take place in a mandatory class- it can be part of a lecture series. My girls graduated 2019 and 2015- the liberal speakers they heard in chapel were never balanced by conservative speakers. My youngest stayed awake in chapel by looking up verses to refute the heresy being spoken from the podium. We knew Baylor wasn't Liberty or Biola, but this is Chapel we're talking about, not some Humanities class!
BearPilot
I was there.....witnessed it first hand and I was sickened..

As time has gone on, I've really learned that Baylor's Spiritual Life group has been infiltrated with those who use Christianity as a veil for their political indoctrination.

I understand tenure and how difficult it is to remove people, but there has to be a way to remove people who are opposed to the Christian mission. This is something the regents absolutely need to take up if the officers have their hands tied when it comes to handling it.

Parents aren't paying $200K to send their kids to a school, founded on Christian principles, only to be blasted by the rhetoric and evil that was spewed from the lectern yesterday morning. What happened isn't acceptable and heads need to roll.

Get on it regents... Protect our mission.
BaylorTaxman
I think people spend way too much energy worrying about chapel.
BaylorFTW
BaylorTaxman said:

I think people spend way too much energy worrying about chapel.
Not worrying about it led us to this point. For this to take place means that people definitely should start worrying about it. Obviously, the administration can't be trusted as they green lit this and this happened after the other debacle with the liberal, gay affirming, white man bashing minister at the commencement from last year. Christians have to stand up and defend the faith. Whatever they decide to do, letting it slide should not be an option.
Midnight Rider
I don't have a dog in this fight, but when I was there it was called "Chapel", then later it was called "University Forum". When was it changed back to "Chapel"?
Midnight Rider
But I will say this in response to the thread title. In matters of theology there is no such thing as "false teaching", because in matters of theology nobody knows anything for sure.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.