And so it begins

2,618 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BaylorFTW
Mitch Blood Green
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldbear83 said:

Bruin said:

tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

Would an imam be threatened with arrest at a mosque gathering?

Would you want him to be?
Just asking, not suggesting. Nice try, though.

I'm asking. Should an Imam in violation of a non discriminatory order that protectors the public be allowed to violate the order?
Treat it the same way if they are enforcing it.

Does anyone know how mosques and masjids are reacting to lockdown orders?

I don't know.
GoneGirl
Flaming Moderate said:

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision(s) on shutting down the country ... glad I don't have to adjudicate this case.
I don't think it's a decision between shutting down the economy and not.

It's a decision between shutting down the economy now to save more lives, or not shutting it down and having it shut down involuntarily because so many people get sick.
quash
BaylorFTW said:

So the police officer that issued the arrest warrant of the Tampa pastor is claiming he received an anonymous tip. The Tampa pastor actually turned himself in. This clip includes the arresting police officer and some other city spokesman talking about public safety and what not.

Maybe the tipster was the preacher/
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Florda_mike
tommie said:

Bearitto said:

BaylorFTW said:

Tampa Pastor Arrested for Packing Mega Church During Coronavirus

Controversial Tampa pastor Rodney Howard-Browne was arrested and charged with unlawful assembly and for violating health and safety rules on Sunday (March 29) when he packed River Church amid the coronavirus pandemic.

During his service, Howard-Browne said that his church would remain open despite local government ordering all places of worship to close. He could be heard telling churchgoers in a video of the service, "The only time the church will close is when the Rapture is taking place."

https://www.vladtv.com/article/261550/tampa-pastor-arrested-for-packing-mega-church-during-coronavirus?page=2

Civil rights out the window. This needs to stop.

He doesn't have the right to further spread this virus throughout the community.

This is what they are protecting against. It's not his right to preach the word.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

^^^
WOW

Says an atheist???

Tomboy shows his true colors on above post!
Florda_mike
tommie said:

Art Vandelay said:

Would an imam be threatened with arrest at a mosque gathering?

Would you want him to be?

^^^ Says the Muslim?
Florda_mike
blackie said:

The "pastor" is an idiot.

The you 2 share a common bond
GoneGirl
tommie said:

Please turn to page 64 in your hymnal and sing along.

And another stay home song:

Forest Bueller_bf
Jinx 2 said:

quash said:

Jinx 2 said:

quash said:

I'm not a fan of criminalizing stupid behavior, which is what this is. A church in Washington held a choir practice, half showed up and over half of thosevgot sick and one is already dead..Despite lots of Purell and no hugging and an attempt at distancing.

I am one of a handful of attorneys in my 10 county region signed up to be appointed counsel for folks who get arrested under Ch 81 of our state health code. I'll defend their right to make stupid choices because I think this law is wrong.
The public health considerations should trump here.

"Stupid behavior" isn't being "crimninalized" permanently. It's being temporarily restricted for the public good.

The argument is the same as that for vaccines A small subset of people shouldn't be free to put the entire population at risk. We should have enough of a social contract and enough faith in science and doctors, like Anthony Fauci, who are telling people what they need to do, to insist people do that in the short term.

One thing that galls me about these selfish preachers is that it's likely healthcare workers will be infected and will die because of their bad decision. Not acceptable.
We either have rights protected by the Constitution or we have privileges subject to revocation in times of emergency.

This president's modus operandi is crisis.

I'll take the Constitution over authoritarian whim any day.
Members of a religious congregation do not have the right to put the remainder of the community at risk during a pandemic. Just as they should not have the right to restrict the methods of contraception available through various insurance plans or in various states or restrict access to certain medical procedures they deem unacceptable to God.

(For example, suppose we had a president or state governor who opposed blood transfusions because he is a Jehovah's Witness and thus sought to outlaw them for everyone, because that's God's will.)

We 100% agree here. Since the church I go to has a school attached they were ahead of the curve here. Our last service was March 2nd.
GoneGirl
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jinx 2 said:

quash said:

Jinx 2 said:

quash said:

I'm not a fan of criminalizing stupid behavior, which is what this is. A church in Washington held a choir practice, half showed up and over half of thosevgot sick and one is already dead..Despite lots of Purell and no hugging and an attempt at distancing.

I am one of a handful of attorneys in my 10 county region signed up to be appointed counsel for folks who get arrested under Ch 81 of our state health code. I'll defend their right to make stupid choices because I think this law is wrong.
The public health considerations should trump here.

"Stupid behavior" isn't being "crimninalized" permanently. It's being temporarily restricted for the public good.

The argument is the same as that for vaccines A small subset of people shouldn't be free to put the entire population at risk. We should have enough of a social contract and enough faith in science and doctors, like Anthony Fauci, who are telling people what they need to do, to insist people do that in the short term.

One thing that galls me about these selfish preachers is that it's likely healthcare workers will be infected and will die because of their bad decision. Not acceptable.
We either have rights protected by the Constitution or we have privileges subject to revocation in times of emergency.

This president's modus operandi is crisis.

I'll take the Constitution over authoritarian whim any day.
Members of a religious congregation do not have the right to put the remainder of the community at risk during a pandemic. Just as they should not have the right to restrict the methods of contraception available through various insurance plans or in various states or restrict access to certain medical procedures they deem unacceptable to God.

(For example, suppose we had a president or state governor who opposed blood transfusions because he is a Jehovah's Witness and thus sought to outlaw them for everyone, because that's God's will.)

We 100% agree here. Since the church I go to has a school attached they were ahead of the curve here. Our last service was March 2nd.
March 8 was our last service, and that Sunday we had communion with disposable kits rather than the typical bread-and-grape-juice intinction. We shifted online, and the Disciple Bible Study group my husband teaches has shifted to Zoom.
Mitch Blood Green
Florda_mike said:

tommie said:

Bearitto said:

BaylorFTW said:

Controversial Tampa pastor Rodney Howard-Browne was arrested and charged with unlawful assembly and for violating health and safety rules on Sunday (March 29) when he packed River Church amid the coronavirus pandemic.

During his service, Howard-Browne said that his church would remain open despite local government ordering all places of worship to close. He could be heard telling churchgoers in a video of the service, "The only time the church will close is when the Rapture is taking place."

https://www.vladtv.com/article/261550/tampa-pastor-arrested-for-packing-mega-church-during-coronavirus?page=2

He doesn't have the right to further spread this virus throughout the community.

This is what they are protecting against. It's not his right to preach the word.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

^^^
WOW

Says an atheist???

Funny how, although I'm an atheist, I exhibit stronger Christian values than you.

Go Lucifer!
Oldbear83
tommie said:

Florda_mike said:

tommie said:

Bearitto said:

BaylorFTW said:

^^^
WOW

Says an atheist???

Funny how, although I'm an atheist, I exhibit stronger Christian values than you.

Go Lucifer!
Funny, I always thought you were on Team Beelzubub, or maybe a Pal of Pazuzu.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Mitch Blood Green
Oldbear83 said:

tommie said:

Florda_mike said:

tommie said:

Bearitto said:

BaylorFTW said:

^^^
WOW

Says an atheist???

Go Lucifer!

I do t know where I fit. I've only known I am an atheist for about an hour.
Oldbear83
tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

tommie said:

Florda_mike said:

tommie said:

Bearitto said:

BaylorFTW said:

^^^
WOW

Says an atheist???

Go Lucifer!

You're still ahead of a lot of people.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Mitch Blood Green
Oldbear83 said:

tommie said:

Oldbear83 said:

tommie said:

Florda_mike said:

tommie said:

Bearitto said:

BaylorFTW said:

^^^
WOW

Says an atheist???

Go Lucifer!

You're still ahead of a lot of people.

Go Pol Pot! Beat capitalism.
BaylorFTW
quash said:

BaylorFTW said:

So the police officer that issued the arrest warrant of the Tampa pastor is claiming he received an anonymous tip. The Tampa pastor actually turned himself in. This clip includes the arresting police officer and some other city spokesman talking about public safety and what not.

Maybe the tipster was the preacher/
Given the police officers response, that seems unlikely. Plus, a preacher wouldn't have needed to do it anonymously as he could proudly proclaim to the press what he was going to do. The more cynical bunch were floating the idea he was doing this because he needed the money from tithes.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.