Pompeo announces that Hong Kong is no longer autonomous from China

6,650 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jupiter
Whiskey Pete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Porteroso said:

Rawhide said:

Porteroso said:

Rawhide said:

Porteroso said:

Rawhide said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Oldbear83 said:

Taiwan and Hong Kong are different cases.

China, putting it bluntly, does not have what it needs to invade and hold Taiwan. One reason for this, not generally discussed in media, is that both Japan and Vietnam have told Beijing that a PRC invasion of Taiwan would be seen by them as an act of military aggression against the region. The political cost alone would keep Beijing at bay.

Hong Kong is a different matter. For one thing, the island is not prepared, in any sense, to defend against invasion by PRC forces. Also, technically Hong Kong is already part of China, albeit as an 'autonomous region'. Add to that the immense financial value of Hong Kong's harbor and bourse, which Beijing has long coveted, and finally, but not least, the cultural threat of young Hong Kongese, who are very pro-American and anti-Beijing. The Central Committee has long desired to assert cultural control of Hong Kong, and it looks like they are taking that action now.
One of us is confused. My history teacher taught me Taiwan is a part of China.
You should visit Taipei and ask the folks there. I have, and I go by what they told me.

You went to Taiwan and asked the Taiwanese if they are a part of China? Why am I not surprised.
Not the way you imply. Like many who are not imbecilic, I talk to my friends and colleagues in conversation, and the PRC comes up from time to time. China has long made clear they want Taiwan to kowtow (look up the original meaning of that word sometime), and Taiwan is very clear what Beijing can do.

People in Taiwan have long memories and good judgment on how they want their own lives managed. They don't much care for their native politicians, but have no illusions that rule from Beijing would be anything but a nightmare.

The real question, Porteroso, is why you and your group have no problem condemning millions to tyranny just because the tyrant claims to have authority?

My group is Americans, and my question is why you can't tell the difference between a lefty and an independent who loathes both parties. Of course I know the answer, to a right wing radical, anyone other than another right wing radical must be a communist.
Quite the delirious rant you posted there, P.

Loving America, being an independent, you mislabeling everything is delirious? You are actually afraid to engage. Your posting is sad.
Face it, anyone that disagrees with you, you label as radical. While someone's post may be sad, your posts are typically pathetic.

It's only the right wing radicals that dominate this board that I call radicals. Do you know what prompted the old fellow's "why you and your group have no problem condemning millions to tyranny just because the tyrant claims to have authority?" I said it was funny that he went to Taiwan, and asked the Taiwanese if they were a part of China.

When all you can see is enemies, when light hearted comments get turned into" you condemn millions to tyrrany, " reason has left the building, and some desperate attempt to paint anyone who doesn't share one's very same ideals as evil enters.

It's when innocuous statements, simple political disagreements, differences of opinion, are made out to be evil, that you can find radicals. Radicals don't all burn down buildings or set off bombs. They are zealous people, fervent in their belief that they are right, absolutely, always. They inevitably aren't, but because their psyche depends on being right, anything that might give their truth a bit of trouble is evil.
You believe that anyone who is not a lame brained liberal is your enemy, porte.... try looking in the mirror for a change.

Again, I thoroughly dislike both parties. I could maybe be considered socially liberal, but in policy and fiscal matters, conservative. If you see libs in my posting, you probably see those nasty libs everywhere. Being afraid of libs is a whole worldview for some of you.
If you can't see libs in your posts, then you're not only dumb, but deaf and blind too. Not to worry, sometimes children will outgrow it. You still have time.

I can see you smirking as you type that, which makes me smile. I'm not into being the victim, it's ok for you to call me childish. I admit to it, it's fun to fight stupidity with childishness. I grew up in the golden age of Halo Xbox live, and at heart I still love that kind of trash talk. You're still a radical righty, you nasty boy.
Oh yeah, what makes me radical, princess?
HuMcK
Paul Manafort definitely did. Don Jr at least tried.
Whiskey Pete
HuMcK said:

I have yet to see you acknowledge that Trump didn't collude with the russians
Florda_mike
HuMcK said:

Give up the ghost

You're dead
jupiter

Oldbear83

Oldbear83 said:

China, putting it bluntly, does not have what it needs to invade and hold Taiwan. One reason for this, not generally discussed in media, is that both Japan and Vietnam have told Beijing that a PRC invasion of Taiwan would be seen by them as an act of military aggression against the region. The political cost alone would keep Beijing at bay.

Hong Kong is a different matter. For one thing, the island is not prepared, in any sense, to defend against invasion by PRC forces. Also, technically Hong Kong is already part of China, albeit as an 'autonomous region'. Add to that the immense financial value of Hong Kong's harbor and bourse, which Beijing has long coveted, and finally, but not least, the cultural threat of young Hong Kongese, who are very pro-American and anti-Beijing. The Central Committee has long desired to assert cultural control of Hong Kong, and it looks like they are taking that action now.
You should spend more time talking with Taiwanese Americans.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
JXL

Oldbear83 said:

Did anyone remember to tell Taiwan?
Oldbear83
JXL said:

Oldbear83 said:

My Taiwanese neighbors, in between beers, told me LIQR does not seem to know anyone from the Asian continent.

Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Oldbear83 said:

JXL said:

Oldbear83 said:

My Taiwanese neighbors, in between beers, told me LIQR does not seem to know anyone from the Asian continent.

I lived and worked in a small town named Ban Tong in Thailand for 2 years. I also worked in Kanchanaburi. I spent a lot of time in Ratchaburi, Hua Hin and Bangkok. I ran a rice mill in Buriram for two weeks and worked on a farm in Surin.

I lived and worked Guiyang, China for a year and rode the fast train to Hong Kong many times for weekends.

I lived and worked in Vientiane Laos for a few months.

I spent several months in Cambodia and will go for a year or two as soon as covid travel restrictions lift.

I have also spent time in the Philippines, mostly in Manila.

I know many people in all these countries and will be in Asia for the next two months.

Why do you just make stuff up?

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2021-11-17/chinese-military-at-or-near-ability-to-invade-taiwan-us-agency-concludes

I think we are on the same side. I really like HK and considered living there 5 or 6 years ago. It is no longer on my list. Taiwan is in for a struggle, and PLA will prevail. Its unfortunate and wrong but sitting and wishing doesnt do much.

Oldbear83
LIQR: "Why do you just make stuff up?"

I absolutely do not 'make stuff up'. My complaint is how you seem to think that Taiwan's history 1945-2022 is irrelevant to this matter, and that the people who grew up and lived/live in Taiwan should not be the primary voice for Taiwan.

So you knew a grade-school teacher who told you Taiwan was part of China. A nameless person who, statistically, was most likely an American who never set foot in Taiwan, maybe never even spoke with a Taiwanese person. Who never listened to a Taiwanese person explain how PLAN boats sank his fishing boat, or how the PLA drove his parents off the mainland, unless they killed them. Who never understood how mainland China has bullied Asian nations to harass Taiwanese businesses and people, denying them the opportunities afforded Japanese and Korean citizens for example, despite industry by Taiwan comparable to either nation.

Taiwan will defend itself from invasion in ways Hong Kong never could. I said that before and mean it. Only a fool imagines Taiwan could be held against its will permanently, or that the people of Taiwan want to be ruled by Beijing. The CCP knows this too - their goal is to gain further control of Taiwan, to starve its economy and kill defense treaties with ASEAN and the US.

The decision depends on American leadership and recognizing Taiwan's independence. One of the crimes of the Biden Administration is suggesting that Taiwan is not independent, however the One-China/Two-China matter is discussed,
jupiter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.