Systemic (institutional) racism

4,080 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Johnny Bear
fadskier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
By definition, saying that we have systemic racism means that the system is inherently racist. However, we seeking details, I often get many varying reason/causes.

So, how are systems racist? I truly would like a good discussion on this. How is the economy systemically racist? Education? Criminal justice system? Are there other systems?

I think we can all agree that our country will always have pockets of racism against a great many different people. I think we can also agree that Jim Crow laws were racist.

Please refrain from calling names and blaming Trump for everything. Clearly, our systems are not racist because of him...also, we had a black president for 8 years, so did he end any systemic racism?

Thanks for you respectful input.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Flaming Moderate
The problem is that "systematic racism" is an emotional term to justify every negative outcome for African Americans. Absolutely it existed, but it hardly accounts for 100% of outcomes. Like many emotional arguments, when you ask for specifics and ask detailed questions, voices grow silent.
br53
I am not sure how racist the criminal justice system is but it sure favors those with the means to hire the best attorneys to fight the charges or get them reduced. I think that is why certain groups of people will always feel the system is racist. They see people that are in a better financial situation commit egregious crimes and get off with little time and then when they do get time they are usually in a better prison than those who are poor. Those who have public defenders feel like their representation is inadequate and that noone is fighting for the best deal and that their court appointed attorney just wants to take the first deal instead of fighting for a better deal.
Also, they see one of their peers get arrested very quickly after a crime and they see this policeman as being able to go home for a few days get all his affairs in order and then go to jail. He basically went home talked to an attorney and his family and told his wife to divorce him and likely put all assets in her name to protect his family. They feel that is not fair. I see both sides of the coin here.
fadskier
As far as criminal justice, I definitely think that all law enforcement should be better trained to deescalate situations. Also, let's face it, many individuals attracted to the professional are somewhat the "macho" type (and yes, I realize that I am generalizing) that demand respect and compliance....as opposed to earning it.
br53
fadskier said:

As far as criminal justice, I definitely think that all law enforcement should be better trained to deescalate situations. Also, let's face it, many individuals attracted to the professional are somewhat the "macho" type (and yes, I realize that I am generalizing) that demand respect and compliance....as opposed to earning it.
Correct. I dont know about the macho type but I think they were bullied at some point and by getting a badge, gun and taser they think that they are now Terminator.
Flaming Moderate
br53 said:

I am not sure how racist the criminal justice system is but it sure favors those with the means to hire the best attorneys to fight the charges or get them reduced. I think that is why certain groups of people will always feel the system is racist. They see people that are in a better financial situation commit egregious crimes and get off with little time and then when they do get time they are usually in a better prison than those who are poor. Those who have public defenders feel like their representation is inadequate and that noone is fighting for the best deal and that their court appointed attorney just wants to take the first deal instead of fighting for a better deal.
Also, they see one of their peers get arrested very quickly after a crime and they see this policeman as being able to go home for a few days get all his affairs in order and then go to jail. He basically went home talked to an attorney and his family and told his wife to divorce him and likely put all assets in her name to protect his family. They feel that is not fair. I see both sides of the coin here.
While true, it has nothing to do with race. No system is - for lack of a better word - is "fair" in the sense that it treats every person absolutely the same in identical situations. However, that is an economic issue not a racial one. In every society since the dawn of time - outside Jesus' apostles - the rich and connected have advantages. While this may not be right, hardly surprising.
quash
Social Security excludes certain types of workers: teachers, domestics, ag. Women, blacks, browns. Teaching, while still predominantly female is no longer one of the Three: wife, teacher, nurse.

Wealth in America is largely built on real estate. Post WWI new family businesses were often funded by a second mortgage. Redlining restricted homeownership. My grandfather was blacklisted for assisting in the creation of three credit unions in his city: black, brown, red. Without the equity of a family home, POCs suffered a multi-generational wealth disparity.

"We live in the most incarcerated country in the world. There are more black men under correctional control today than there were under slavery in 1850." John Legend's Oscar quote is a little misleading to the extent that there are more black men in absolute terms. Nevertheless, we lock up more of our citizens than does any other country: "The United States had the highest prison population rate in the world, at 716 per 100,000 people. More than half of the countries and territories had rates below 150 per 100,000. The United States had a much higher rate compared to other developed countries: about six times Canada's rate, between six to nine times Western European countries, and between two to 10 times Northern European countries."

This happens because at every stage in the criminal justice process Blacks are more likely to be: stopped, searched, arrested, jailed, convicted. Criminal justice reform will help everybody (AbolishQI) but because of the disproportionate rate of the way Blacks get treated at every stage, they will benefit more on a proportional basis. I can live with that.

Saw a nun address a crowd and ask a valid question of the mostly White audience: Would you please stand if you would agree to live the rest of your life being treated as Blacks are treated by American society? No takers. The follow up addressed whether they would do anything to make US society a place where you could trade places with a POC and not expect to be treated differently.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Flaming Moderate
quash said:

Social Security excludes certain types of workers: teachers, domestics, ag. Women, blacks, browns. Teaching, while still predominantly female is no longer one of the Three: wife, teacher, nurse.

Wealth in America is largely built on real estate. Post WWI new family businesses were often funded by a second mortgage. Redlining restricted homeownership. My grandfather was blacklisted for assisting in the creation of three credit unions in his city: black, brown, red. Without the equity of a family home, POCs suffered a multi-generational wealth disparity.

"We live in the most incarcerated country in the world. There are more black men under correctional control today than there were under slavery in 1850." John Legend's Oscar quote is a little misleading to the extent that there are more black men in absolute terms. Nevertheless, we lock up more of our citizens than does any other country: "The United States had the highest prison population rate in the world, at 716 per 100,000 people. More than half of the countries and territories had rates below 150 per 100,000. The United States had a much higher rate compared to other developed countries: about six times Canada's rate, between six to nine times Western European countries, and between two to 10 times Northern European countries."
We have been loosely enforcing laws during the last week. That seems to be working out well.
fadskier
quash said:

I agree with those. So what do we do? and how do we help the African-American community re-establish the family unit. I think that's important...or am I off base there?
Jack and DP
In my workplace, it has all retired. Now we are forced out at 56, so we may have gotten rid of those earlier than some work places.

The only true racist i ever worked with was a 5'2" NYC Jew. He was also sexist. He got demoted from supervisor for telling a controller he had seen his teenage daughter nude on the internet the night before.
A borderline guy was also the one that saved a Black man from drowning.
It's a culture thing really. It can be at one work place, or agency or company wide.
br53
Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

While true, it has nothing to do with race. No system is - for lack of a better word - is "fair" in the sense that it treats every person absolutely the same in identical situations. However, that is an economic issue not a racial one. In every society since the dawn of time - outside Jesus' apostles - the rich and connected have advantages. While this may not be right, hardly surprising.
You say it has nothing to do with race but when the blacks and hispanics see in their eyes and minds that more of their race are in jail they see the system as broken and equate it to this. That is the system that they see as broken.
The_barBEARian
fadskier said:

By definition, saying that we have systemic racism means that the system is inherently racist. However, we seeking details, I often get many varying reason/causes.

So, how are systems racist? I truly would like a good discussion on this. How is the economy systemically racist? Education? Criminal justice system? Are there other systems?

I think we can all agree that our country will always have pockets of racism against a great many different people. I think we can also agree that Jim Crow laws were racist.

Please refrain from calling names and blaming Trump for everything. Clearly, our systems are not racist because of him...also, we had a black president for 8 years, so did he end any systemic racism?

Thanks for you respectful input.
This topic is not worth debating bcs the premise is completely a fake issue, therefore wasting any time discussing it will get you no where bcs sensible people know it is a fake issue and the crazy lunatics, who you will never be able to reason with, actually believe this bs.
Flaming Moderate
br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

You say it has nothing to do with race but when the blacks and hispanics see in their eyes and minds that more of their race are in jail they see the system as broken and equate it to this. That is the system that they see as broken.
What about Asians and Indians? Why do you think they are not incarcerated as much? Do they not suffer from systematic racism?

Would you consider the problem might be some groups disproportionately commit more crimes? I have witnessed a person moving ahead in life by being told "it is not your fault," "blame others for your problems." Maybe they should be given positive role models and told do not blame others, you own your destiny.
br53
Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

What about Asians and Indians? Why do you think they are not incarcerated as much? Do they not suffer from systematic racism?

Would you consider the problem might be some groups disproportionately commit more crimes? I have witnessed a person moving ahead in life by being told "it is not your fault," "blame others for your problems." Maybe they should be given positive role models and told do not blame others, you own your destiny.
I dont disagree with your statements, I am trying to present what I have heard in hispanic and black peoples arguments. I think if you break the law you go to jail. As for Indians, they dont go to jail because they stay on the reservation. Asians just dont commit very many crimes or atleast they do it in the ninja way and dont get caught.
Flaming Moderate
br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

I dont disagree with your statements, I am trying to present what I have heard in hispanic and black peoples arguments. I think if you break the law you go to jail. As for Indians, they dont go to jail because they stay on the reservation. Asians just dont commit very many crimes or atleast they do it in the ninja way and dont get caught.
And I'm guessing your response is not: "maybe commit fewer crimes?" That's the fundamental problem - we have reared an entire generation of African Americans that are told nothing is their fault and all their problems are someone else's fault. If there is systematic racism, it is the racism of low expectations that treat African Americans like they are incapable need white overlords to take care of them. It is possible to believe that racism exists and it is not the root of all of your problems. Racism has existed in every culture since the dawn of time - it is a fundamental human trait, and American has done arguably a better job with it than any nation in history. It is possible to say yes, you (and myriad others of all races) do not all start out with the same levels of material wealth or "privilege." However, you can achieve anything you want to do, and do not let someone hold you back or blame others for not achieving.

At the core, the fundamental rot is the message that America is a horrible, racist country that built everyone on this evil. Hell, the wingnuts gave that fiction a "Pulitzer." Quit the opposite is true - there is no better place to be a person, black or otherwise, than the United States. That's why immigration > emigration for all groups. But this is all about power not anything else.
quash
fadskier said:

quash said:

I agree with those. So what do we do? and how do we help the African-American community re-establish the family unit. I think that's important...or am I off base there?
Not at all.

I went to Robert E. Lee HS in Houston. Like most Southerners I love that guy, he exemplified so many wonderful traits. But he wasn't any nearer perfect than any man could be and one issue was his treatment of his slaves (or the Custis slaves, from his wife). While some slave owners would keep family groups together, Lee would not. That slavery era practice had significant consequences for the Black family (although scholars debate how much, it's a tough issue).

As posters here are quick to point out, absent fathers is a big issue. If you are Black, and your father did not complete high school, there is a fifty percent chance he will be jailed at some point. Two ways to address this: one is criminal justice reform, another is education. Education is a tough nut to crack, and in that I include training for the trades. I worked a couple of years in construction and never saw a Black electrician, plumber or HVAC guy. How do you make education a value? One way is to show that education has benefits, and I think Career Day should come back. Can be Mom, I don't care, but electricians and engineers and other professionals and tradesmen of color just have to show up and tell their story. In five minutes.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
Flaming Moderate said:

quash said:

We have been loosely enforcing laws during the last week. That seems to be working out well.
I agree to some extent, it has been a mixed bag. We have also seen police power abused.
br53
Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

And I'm guessing your response is not: "maybe commit fewer crimes?" That's the fundamental problem - we have reared an entire generation of African Americans that are told nothing is their fault and all their problems are someone else's fault. If there is systematic racism, it is the racism of low expectations that treat African Americans like they are incapable need white overlords to take care of them. It is possible to believe that racism exists and it is not the root of all of your problems. Racism has existed in every culture since the dawn of time - it is a fundamental human trait, and American has done arguably a better job with it than any nation in history. It is possible to say yes, you (and myriad others of all races) do not all start out with the same levels of material wealth or "privilege." However, you can achieve anything you want to do, and do not let someone hold you back or blame others for not achieving.

At the core, the fundamental rot is the message that America is a horrible, racist country that built everyone on this evil. Hell, the wingnuts gave that fiction a "Pulitzer." Quit the opposite is true - there is no better place to be a person, black or otherwise, than the United States. That's why immigration > emigration for all groups. But this is all about power not anything else.
I strongly believe and tell them that if they dont commit crimes they wont get arrested, its just common sense. Same as if you do what the policeman says when he pulls you over and asks you a question you wont be pulled out of the car or have your head cracked. Everytime that I have been pulled over I have kept my hands on the steering wheel, seat belt on, car off until told otherwise. Guess what I havent been to jail yet and get off with just a warning most of the time, unless I am being really stupid with my speed. I dont back down from the argument with people.
fadskier
quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Not at all.

I went to Robert E. Lee HS in Houston. Like most Southerners I love that guy, he exemplified so many wonderful traits. But he wasn't any nearer perfect than any man could be and one issue was his treatment of his slaves (or the Custis slaves, from his wife). While some slave owners would keep family groups together, Lee would not. That slavery era practice had significant consequences for the Black family (although scholars debate how much, it's a tough issue).

As posters here are quick to point out, absent fathers is a big issue. If you are Black, and your father did not complete high school, there is a fifty percent chance he will be jailed at some point. Two ways to address this: one is criminal justice reform, another is education. Education is a tough nut to crack, and in that I include training for the trades. I worked a couple of years in construction and never saw a Black electrician, plumber or HVAC guy. How do you make education a value? One way is to show that education has benefits, and I think Career Day should come back. Can be Mom, I don't care, but electricians and engineers and other professionals and tradesmen of color just have to show up and tell their story. In five minutes.
Maybe for the last two years of school, enroll kids in internships with certain careers.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

I have not agreed with almost everything you have said on the coronavirus issue, but on this topic, everything you have said on this thread is just spot on.
Jack and DP
Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

They wanted to come to America. Many Blacks came on slave ships. Not a great start. I've got a doctor that is a recent immigrant and he's doing great. But, again, he wanted to come to America.
DioNoZeus
quash said:

This happens because at every stage in the criminal justice process Blacks are more likely to be: stopped, searched, arrested, jailed, convicted. Criminal justice reform will help everybody (AbolishQI) but because of the disproportionate rate of the way Blacks get treated at every stage, they will benefit more on a proportional basis. I can live with that.

Saw a nun address a crowd and ask a valid question of the mostly White audience: Would you please stand if you would agree to live the rest of your life being treated as Blacks are treated by American society? No takers. The follow up addressed whether they would do anything to make US society a place where you could trade places with a POC and not expect to be treated differently.

I am excluded from social security as part of my job, and it's probably my best job benefit. I take the money that would have gone to social security and put it into a 403b. And as a bonus, I will actually get to see the money when I retire.
D. C. Bear
Flaming Moderate said:

The problem is that "systematic racism" is an emotional term to justify every negative outcome for African Americans. Absolutely it existed, but it hardly accounts for 100% of outcomes. Like many emotional arguments, when you ask for specifics and ask detailed questions, voices grow silent.

Terms are not emotional. People are emotional.
The practice of redlining is an example of systemic racism. No one really does that any more, but the denial of opportunity for African American families to build wealth through home ownership and starting business that it represented still has real consequences today. This is not emotional, it is not an attempt to "justify" anything. It is simply a description of what happened in the past and its continuing impact today.
Doc Holliday
We're dealing with a situation where if a minority clearly breaks the law, many in the minority group believe it to still be wrong to police the situation.

That's the problem we're dealing with guys. It's gotten that bad.
br53
Jack and DP said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

They wanted to come to America. Many Blacks came on slave ships. Not a great start. I've got a doctor that is a recent immigrant and he's doing great. But, again, he wanted to come to America.
There are planes that leave everyday bound for other countries have them pick one and get on the corresponding plane to where they want to go. Send us a forwarding address so we can ship them their material possessions. You dont like it here you dont want to be here leave.
br53
fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

Not at all.

Maybe for the last two years of school, enroll kids in internships with certain careers.
Exactly or send the ones who dont want to go to a 4 year university to a Technical college starting their junior year to learn a trade. TSTC would love to have you.
D. C. Bear
br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

There are planes that leave everyday bound for other countries have them pick one and get on the corresponding plane to where they want to go. Send us a forwarding address so we can ship them their material possessions. You dont like it here you dont want to be here leave.

What a stupid post that is.
Oldbear83
I'm going to take an unpopular position here and observe that if we really want to address 'systemic' issues, we need to look at all failed systems.

I specifically mean the cultural framework which ignores the need for a 2-parent nuclear family, with a moral foundation which includes a church, temple, synagogue, or mosque, or for atheists a group which promotes moral conduct such as the Boy Scouts or the Rotary.

I mean a community which demands a work ethic and committing to personal conduct, which teaches that honor, freedom and justice start and depend on your own choices and actions.

It's easy to blame someone else. But in the end, if you don't look at your self and your family first, it's just a form of denial to blame others.
br53
D. C. Bear said:

br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Let me ask you a question: If you are in a career or a relationship and you dont want to be there what do you do if you feel it is not beneficial to you or your growth? You leave for what you think will be better for you. So how is this a stupid post please expand on your 6 word post?
D. C. Bear
br53 said:

D. C. Bear said:

br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Let me ask you a question: If you are in a career or a relationship and you dont want to be there what do you do if you feel it is not beneficial to you or your growth? You leave for what you think will be better for you. So how is this a stupid post please expand on your 6 word post?

I am not sure it deserves more than a six word response.
You don't always leave a relationship or a job if there are bad parts of it. Sometimes you evaluate the situation and decide that your personal considerations are not as important as other considerations. Sometimes you don't have the money to just tell the boss to take this job and shove it. The idea that African Americans should leave their home and go live on the far side of the earth if they don't like getting randomly pulled over by cops based on the color of their skin is stupid.
Jack and DP
br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Don't understand your mindset. Well understood that Black Americans were brought to America against their will. I certainly understand if a person would resent that. Don't you?
Jack and DP
br53
D. C. Bear said:

br53 said:

D. C. Bear said:

br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

I am not sure it deserves more than a six word response.
You don't always leave a relationship or a job if there are bad parts of it. Sometimes you evaluate the situation and decide that your personal considerations are not as important as other considerations. Sometimes you don't have the money to just tell the boss to take this job and shove it. The idea that African Americans should leave their home and go live on the far side of the earth if they don't like getting randomly pulled over by cops based on the color of their skin is stupid.
Systemic Racism is about more than getting pulled over by the cops. Systemic Racism is believing the whole game is rigged against you and that Whitey is trying to hold you down at all turns no matter what you do. When that is your belief besides all indicators and evidence showing otherwise then you have to think that some other place has a better opportunity for you and your family. This is what black and brown Americans are saying the whole deck is stacked against them and nobody cares or will help them unless they can dribble a ball or tote the rock. It is false.
br53
Jack and DP said:

br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Don't understand your mindset. Well understood that Black Americans were brought to America against their will. I certainly understand if a person would resent that. Don't you?
I understand resenting that however none of the slave owners or captains of those vessels are still alive. You are no longer enslaved.
Jack and DP
br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

br53 said:

Jack and DP said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

I understand resenting that however none of the slave owners or captains of those vessels are still alive. You are no longer enslaved.

Ok, I get it.

It can be hard to escape, though. Often, you have to leave a familiar world behind. We had a really nice young man that was a janitor a couple of years back. Several of us would encourage him to join the national guard or apply for a better airport job. Real like able kid.
He showed up dead one day. When I interrogated the older lady janitor, she just dismissed it. He had fallen in with the wrong crowd and that was it. It was shocking that it happened, but even more shocking was her reaction. She'd had a brother murdered on an outside basketball court, so I guess she was numb to it.
That's two janitors that have been Murdered and one in prison for murder. Really sucks.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.