petition has been started to have Baylor require freshmen to take a class on racism

3,635 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Flaming Moderate
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cms186 said:

Doc Holliday said:

cms186 said:

Doc Holliday said:

cms186 said:

Doc Holliday said:

cms186 said:

Stranger said:

In her latest manifesto, Linda Livingstone basically proposed such action. Baylor will sell its soul to be politically correct.
Educating people about Racism is selling its soul? :/
When the class berates you for being white, yes.
right and these classes have said they will berate you for being White?
A class that discusses white privilege is extremely offensive to white people who don't buy into that narrative.

Assuming students will be racist or have racial issues without this mandatory course is offensive.
It takes a special kind of Snowflake to be "Offended" about Racial equality classes in the backdrop of current events

White Privilege is a fact, there are plenty of stats to back it up (Unemployment, Earnings, Crime etc.), it does not mean that being White is a crime, its aim is not to punish you for being White, it is not berating you for being White, its merely a reflection on the fact that the average White Person has a better lot in life than a Person of Colour

These classes do not assume you will be racist if you dont attend, I attended Health and Safety courses in a previous job, I didnt get offended that my employers thought i was a clumsy idiot who would hurt myself without them, but then again, I'm not a Snowflake.
You're assuming that's what these classes will achieve and then declaring me sinister for not agreeing with it.

See, this is the kind of behavior I'm talking about. We're not in agreement of what this class will actually accomplish and teach.

I believe teaching kids about the concept of white privilege (which is what the description says) is not appropriate. I believe it's a 'class guilt' concept and will only further divide us.
I assume its what they aim to achieve, whether or not thats what they will actually achieve is another thing

White Privilege is nort about imposing guilt on someone, its about seeing an unfair imbalance in the world, acknowledging it and working to make it better, not in way that punishes you for being White (because "Positive" Discrimination is still discrimination), but in a way that doesnt punish someone for not being White.

Exactly. It's merely taking an empathetic view of others and acknowledging that your experience/perception of life as an American isn't shared by everyone ... and doing your part to ensure that Americans of all skin tones are given the same opportunities to succeed that you've had.
Canada2017
cms186 said:

Canada2017 said:

cms186 said:

I attended Health and Safety courses in a previous job, I didnt get offended that my employers thought i was a clumsy idiot who would hurt myself without them, but then again, I'm not a Snowflake.

Did your previous employer let you go because you were a clumsy idiot or you weren't a snowflake ?
neither, i resigned for a better job, sorry to ruin your zinger

Whatever you say.

However based on the content of your posts, suspect your previous employer cut his losses .
Whiskey Pete
White "privilege" doesn't exist. It's a made up term; the libbies are great at making up terms (global cooling then globing warming now climate change, income inequality, etc...).

It's a term used to drive division among blacks and whites. It's used to create a narrative to drive an agenda; not the actual uplifting of the black people or their communities, but the illusion of it (and not a very good one at that). It's used as propaganda to drive the African American community to feel that they've been a victim since birth. It's used to create feelings of hostility toward non-blacks and used as a political war chant by the left that they only way for them to beat the "white privilege" (racism) and set the record straight is to elect them... over and over and over again, all the while changing and/or improving nothing (except which person occupies the empty suit).
Johnny Bear
ValhallaBear said:

Maybe it would also be a good idea to do a mixed class.

After the 'white privilege' portion, the African American students could be educated about the engineering that went into the buildings they will be learning and living in, the mechanics of the running water they will drink and bathe with, the properties of the air conditioning that will keep them cool during the Texas heat, the engineering of the paved roads they will drive on - and the science behind the automobiles they drive, the people behind the STEM classes they will be learning about, etc etc.

Yes, and I wonder how much class time will be devoted to things like the impact of racism that emanates from the black community and black privilege ("Affirmative Action" is an example that has been used as a discriminatory tool against non-black races) that has developed over the last 50 years or so(?). Also, it would be beneficial to ALL of the students to discuss what kinds of fantastic opportunities can happen in America to people of ALL races when good choices are made as a life style habit. Some examples from the black community include Dr. Ben Carson, Justice Clarence Thomas, Economist Thomas Sowell, Professor Walter Williams and former NFL great Burgess Owens. Examples of bad life style choices include dealing drugs and having babies out of wedlock as teenagers which is in no shape, form or fashion the result of "racism" or anybody's "privilege".

Ah, but that would be too much of a positive and helpful life lesson. It's much more important to needlessly keep bitterness alive in the black community and to make sure the white students needlessly feel guilty because of past events that they had absolutely zero to do with.
Doc Holliday
cms186 said:

Doc Holliday said:

cms186 said:

I assume its what they aim to achieve, whether or not thats what they will actually achieve is another thing

White Privilege is nort about imposing guilt on someone, its about seeing an unfair imbalance in the world, acknowledging it and working to make it better, not in way that punishes you for being White (because "Positive" Discrimination is still discrimination), but in a way that doesnt punish someone for not being White.
I believe it will further divide us and make things worse.

We disagree,

Don't give me an emotional argument, give me your reasoning why my view is incorrect and why your's is right.
My Reasoning is simple, I will offer you statistics (from the UK) that show what i am saying is correct:

Employment
  • unemployment rates were significantly higher for ethnic minorities at 12.9 per cent compared with 6.3 per cent for White people
  • Black workers with degrees earn 23.1 per cent less on average than White workers
  • in Britain, significantly lower percentages of ethnic minorities (8.8 per cent) worked as managers, directors and senior officials, compared with White people (10.7 per cent) and this was particularly true for African or Caribbean or Black people (5.7 per cent) and those of mixed ethnicity (7.2 per cent)
  • Black people who leave school with A-levels typically get paid 14.3 per cent less than their White peers
Education
  • just 6 per cent of Black school leavers attended a Russell Group university, compared with 12 per cent of mixed and Asian school leavers and 11 per cent of White school leavers
  • Black Caribbean and Mixed White/Black Caribbean children have rates of permanent exclusion about three times that of the pupil population as a whole
Crime
  • rates of prosecution and sentencing for Black people were three times higher than for White people,18 per thousand population compared with six per thousand population for White people
  • for sentencing it was 13 per thousand population for Black people and five per thousand population for White people
  • in England and Wales ethnic minority children and adults are more likely to be a victim of homicide
  • the homicide rate for Black people was 30.5 per million population, 14.1 for Asian people and 8.9 for White people
  • White women are more at risk of domestic abuse than ethnic minority women, with 7.4 per cent reported being victims of abuse compared with 4.4 per cent of ethnic minority women
  • race hate crimes on Britain's railway networks have risen by 37 per cent
  • in England, 37.4 per cent of Black people and 44.8 per cent of Asian people felt unsafe being at home or around their local area, compared with 29.2 per cent of White people
Living standards
  • Pakistani or Bangladeshi and Black adults are more likely to live in substandard accommodation than White people
  • 30.9 per cent of Pakistani or Bangladeshi people live in overcrowded accommodation, while for Black people the figure is 26.8 per cent and for White people it is 8.3 per cent
  • if you are an ethnic minority person, you are still more likely to live in poverty. Our evidence shows that 35.7 per cent of ethnic minorities were more likely to live in poverty compared with 17.2 per cent of White people
  • in Scotland, ethnic minority households are more likely to experience overcrowding, with 11.8 per cent for ethnic minority households compared with 2.9 per cent for White households
Health and care
  • Black African women had a mortality rate four times higher than White women in the UK
  • there is a significant disproportionate number of ethnic minorities detained under mental health legislation in hospitals in England and Wales
  • Black African women were seven times more likely to be detained than White British women

Russel Group Universities are a collection of 24 of the elite universities in England and include Oxford and Cambridge), A-Levels are higher education levels which you study for between the ages of 16-18, before you go to University, they are voluntary.
Racial disparity is not evidence of racism (a counter race causing the problem with INTENT).

You have to tie it to how it stems from the behavior of white people.

Ex.

• Quote:

Black African women had a mortality rate four times higher than White women in the UK
Why? Food culture? DNA (which plays a major role in health)?

You could make the argument that white people face a lower mortality rate, but the only place to go from there is equalizing outcomes or special treatment which is unconstitutional and does nothing but make the situation worse.
cms186
Doc Holliday said:

Racial disparity is not evidence of racism (a counter race causing the problem with INTENT).

You have to tie it to how it stems from the behavior of white people.

Ex.

• Quote:

Black African women had a mortality rate four times higher than White women in the UK
Why? Food culture? DNA (which plays a major role in health)?

You could make the argument that white people face a lower mortality rate, but the only place to go from there is equalizing outcomes or special treatment which is unconstitutional and does nothing but make the situation worse.
Of course, not every difference is down to peoples attitudes, it would be unreasonable to say that it was, but its also unrealistic to say that none of it is due to that reason
I'm the English Guy
cms186
Canada2017 said:

cms186 said:

Canada2017 said:

cms186 said:

I attended Health and Safety courses in a previous job, I didnt get offended that my employers thought i was a clumsy idiot who would hurt myself without them, but then again, I'm not a Snowflake.

Did your previous employer let you go because you were a clumsy idiot or you weren't a snowflake ?

Whatever you say.

However based on the content of your posts, suspect your previous employer cut his losses .
Fortunately, my employers, past and present, arent judgemental *******s like you
I'm the English Guy
Guy Noir
cms186 said:

Doc Holliday said:

cms186 said:

I believe it will further divide us and make things worse.

We disagree,

Don't give me an emotional argument, give me your reasoning why my view is incorrect and why your's is right.
My Reasoning is simple, I will offer you statistics (from the UK) that show what i am saying is correct:

Employment
  • unemployment rates were significantly higher for ethnic minorities at 12.9 per cent compared with 6.3 per cent for White people
  • Black workers with degrees earn 23.1 per cent less on average than White workers
  • in Britain, significantly lower percentages of ethnic minorities (8.8 per cent) worked as managers, directors and senior officials, compared with White people (10.7 per cent) and this was particularly true for African or Caribbean or Black people (5.7 per cent) and those of mixed ethnicity (7.2 per cent)
  • Black people who leave school with A-levels typically get paid 14.3 per cent less than their White peers
Education
  • just 6 per cent of Black school leavers attended a Russell Group university, compared with 12 per cent of mixed and Asian school leavers and 11 per cent of White school leavers
  • Black Caribbean and Mixed White/Black Caribbean children have rates of permanent exclusion about three times that of the pupil population as a whole
Crime
  • rates of prosecution and sentencing for Black people were three times higher than for White people,18 per thousand population compared with six per thousand population for White people
  • for sentencing it was 13 per thousand population for Black people and five per thousand population for White people
  • in England and Wales ethnic minority children and adults are more likely to be a victim of homicide
  • the homicide rate for Black people was 30.5 per million population, 14.1 for Asian people and 8.9 for White people
  • White women are more at risk of domestic abuse than ethnic minority women, with 7.4 per cent reported being victims of abuse compared with 4.4 per cent of ethnic minority women
  • race hate crimes on Britain's railway networks have risen by 37 per cent
  • in England, 37.4 per cent of Black people and 44.8 per cent of Asian people felt unsafe being at home or around their local area, compared with 29.2 per cent of White people
Living standards
  • Pakistani or Bangladeshi and Black adults are more likely to live in substandard accommodation than White people
  • 30.9 per cent of Pakistani or Bangladeshi people live in overcrowded accommodation, while for Black people the figure is 26.8 per cent and for White people it is 8.3 per cent
  • if you are an ethnic minority person, you are still more likely to live in poverty. Our evidence shows that 35.7 per cent of ethnic minorities were more likely to live in poverty compared with 17.2 per cent of White people
  • in Scotland, ethnic minority households are more likely to experience overcrowding, with 11.8 per cent for ethnic minority households compared with 2.9 per cent for White households
Health and care
  • Black African women had a mortality rate four times higher than White women in the UK
  • there is a significant disproportionate number of ethnic minorities detained under mental health legislation in hospitals in England and Wales
  • Black African women were seven times more likely to be detained than White British women

Russel Group Universities are a collection of 24 of the elite universities in England and include Oxford and Cambridge), A-Levels are higher education levels which you study for between the ages of 16-18, before you go to University, they are voluntary.
England is a different country. Does England have a Constitution with a 14th Amendment like the USA? or do they have a Civil Rights Act of 1964?

Perhaps the University should teach U.S. History instead of creating classes that are based on pure opinion.

Canada2017
cms186 said:

Canada2017 said:

cms186 said:

Canada2017 said:

cms186 said:

Whatever you say.

Fortunately, my employers, past and present, arent judgemental *******s like you

More likely out of necessity, your employer has low expectations.
cms186
Guy Noir said:

England is a different country. Does England have a Constitution with a 14th Amendment like the USA? or do they have a Civil Rights Act of 1964?

Perhaps the University should teach U.S. History instead of creating classes that are based on pure opinion.
Indeed England is a different country, thats why I included examples ofrom America in my next post, which you have conveniently ignored.

Does the UK have a Constitution? not as such, no, but we have several acts of Law that pre-date (and even helped shape and inspire) the American Constitution, as well as, obviously, ones passed after the US Constitution that serve the same purpose.The UK has laws that affirm Civil rights in the same way your 14th amendment and Civil Rights act do.
I'm the English Guy
ABC BEAR
How about a course discussing Proverbs 6:16-19? Right off the bat we are warned of haughty eyes which would cover a multitude of prideful sins, including racism. A course like this would encourage people to view sinful thoughts and actions as part of the human condition, instead of focusing on skin color as the crux of the discussion.

A follow-up course on Galatians 5:22 would be an encouragement in the attributes we all should live and extol.

And.....this would be oh, so Baylor.
drahthaar
Who is writing the curriculum and compiling the published, documentable references?
lankylefty
gobears20 said:

This is a decent step in the right direction
Flaming Moderate
The answer for long-term success is not stop telling an entire group of people nothing is their fault and blame other people. The answer is to tell them life is not fair, work hard, but honest and kind, and good things will come.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.