Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago?

2,906 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by contrario
Wallace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Take a look at this ad combining a voiceover by Ronald Reagan with what's going on now

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Absolutely. Even though half the country doesn't want to work and doesn't want me to work.

"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Canada2017
Better off.

20% Trump
20% Retirement
60% Birth of two grandsons
Gold Tron
Absolutely
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
Username checks out
I have way more money and progeny than 4 years ago, which is great, but have deteriorated physical health due to high workaholism and borderline alcoholism, so it's a wash?

As a rich person I tend to see my personal betterment to be uncorrelated to the overall health of the country. I think that querying the oppressed underclass is a better indicator of such matters. Sort of like how the advancement of women's rights directly correlates to a nation's prosperity.
57Bear
Canada2017 said:

Better off.

20% Trump
20% Retirement
I'll see your two grandsons and raise you 2 great-grandsons and 3 great-granddaughters!
jupiter

So half the country just suddenly decided they don't like working?
syme
Down 25 pounds , paid off mortgage, and just generally more relaxed than I was.
nein51
Much better off though I tend to think the person in the seat in the White House has very little to do with it regardless of party affiliation.
Canada2017
57Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Better off.

20% Trump
20% Retirement
I'll see your two grandsons and raise you 2 great-grandsons and 3 great-granddaughters!

Well done !
Canada2017
Username checks out said:

I have way more money and progeny than 4 years ago, which is great, but have deteriorated physical health due to high workaholism and borderline alcoholism, so it's a wash?

As a rich person I tend to see my personal betterment to be uncorrelated to the overall health of the country. I think that querying the oppressed underclass is a better indicator of such matters. Sort of like how the advancement of women's rights directly correlates to a nation's prosperity.

Brooks, only a few months ago you claimed to be a middle aged , part time graduate student in pursuit of a PhD in statistics.

Now you are an alcoholic 'rich person '.

Your prospects seem to improve with each new user name .

nein51
I have no idea if that is Brooks or not but if it is, I can tell you first hand, he is a great guy. About as brainwashed left from a lifetime in academia as they come but as a human he is a good one. And if he recently got "rich" (and who knows what the definition of that is) then I need to get further south so he can buy dinner.
BellCountyBear
I'm four years closer to being done paying my two kids' higher education/indoctrination expenses, so yes!
Thee University
Every day gets better for me but worse for America.

Much better off than I deserve.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Midnight Rider
Not a fair question, as we were not dealing with the Corona virus 4 years ago.
Canada2017
nein51 said:

About as brainwashed left from a lifetime in academia as they come but as a human he is a good one.

Have received a few PM's from him in the past .

Comes across as an extremely immature , over entitled man-boy.

Suspect a decade hiding in one graduate program after another hasn't helped and at his age a healthy change in attitude is unlikely.

contrario

You should lead the charge by giving up anything you make above $50K per year to fix those issues.
blackie
For me, not much change although my taxes have gone up a bit under the new tax law. Over my life I have never seen a lot of difference personally regardless of which party was in power, certainly nothing to complain about.
GoneGirl
contrario said:

You should lead the charge by giving up anything you make above $50K per year to fix those issues.
You go first. I'm tired of this stupid argument, when Christians openly support a president who flouts every principle of following Jesus, starting with the basics of treating other people the way you would have them treat you and definitely including caring for the "least of these."

If you want others to lead by example, do it yourself first. Until then, stfu.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jinx 2 said:

contrario said:

You go first. I'm tired of this stupid argument, when Christians openly supporting a president who flouts every principle of following Jesus, starting with the basics of treating other people the way you would have them treat you.

Uh Ohhhh!!!!! Looks like we just learned that jinx is Username. They are the same poster. She did not realize what account she was signed in under. Interesting. Now I gotta wonder again if she is also cinque, as some have suspected for a long time.

-- Barack Obama
GoneGirl
Midnight Rider said:

"Dealing with the Corona virus" is a charitable description of what's happening in the U.S.

We're divided between the people who are dealing with it (local leaders, public health officials, governors in some states, people who take it seriously) and those who aren't dealing with it and are furious that anyone else is trying: (Trump, many members of his administration and everybody who is carrying on as if things are business as usual or worse, making a big deal about wearing a mask or social distancing).

We're certainly not, as a unified nation, "dealing with it" effectively and with good intentions. We're letting it happen and pointing fingers--the result of extremely poor leadership.
Midnight Rider
Jinxy,

I think that the question is directed as to whether I am personally better off.

Due to the Corona virus, I am not personally better off.

My livlihood has taken a big hit due to the Corona virus.

My interaction with my children has been limited to ZOOM family meetings.

I am stressing out as whether we will have college football this fall. (Yes, my priorities are all screwed up. But they are what they are).

Yes, President Trump is a total and complete jackass. But that doesn't affect me personally.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jinx 2 = Username checks out. Same poster

-- Barack Obama
GoneGirl
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 = Username checks out. Same poster
Not so.
GoneGirl
Midnight Rider said:

Jinxy,

I think that the question is directed as to whether I am personally better off.

Due to the Corona virus, I am not personally better off.

My livlihood has taken a big hit due to the Corona virus.

My interaction with my children has been limited to ZOOM family meetings.

I am stressing out as whether we will have college football this fall. (Yes, my priorities are all screwed up. But they are what they are).

Yes, President Trump is a total and complete jackass. But that doesn't affect me personally.
Sorry to hear that.

We are both still gainfully employed, but working from home.

Both of our jobs appear secure.

One daughter works at the regional medical center. She's working overtime.

The other daughter has opted to shelter with us and take online courses in her graduate program to save rent, a she believes the online route will likely be declared the only option this fall within the next month.

But I'd thought we'd be coming out the other end of the shutdown by now, and I fear the worst is yet to come.

A colleague just lost his brother to COVID. This isnt' good for anybody.
contrario
Jinx 2 said:

contrario said:

You go first. I'm tired of this stupid argument, when Christians openly support a president who flouts every principle of following Jesus, starting with the basics of treating other people the way you would have them treat you and definitely including caring for the "least of these."

I'm not a Christian and I believe everyone should keep more of the money they make. You are barking up the wrong tree. Username checks out claims that work needs to be done to help the poor, but he is self-proclaimed rich. So that means he clearly isn't doing his part if that's what he believes. Why don't you call him out and not be a hypocrite for once in your life? And stop trying to put everyone in a box. You can't find a box for me.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
contrario said:

Jinx 2 said:

contrario said:

I'm not a Christian and I believe everyone should keep more of the money they make. You are barking up the wrong tree. Username checks out claims that work needs to be done to help the poor, but he is self-proclaimed rich. So that means he clearly isn't doing his part if that's what he believes. Why don't you call him out and not be a hypocrite for once in your life? And stop trying to put everyone in a box. You can't find a box for me.
So you are saying Jinx should call herself out? How does that work?

-- Barack Obama
fadskier

Finally you and I have something in common...we drink alot!
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
fadskier
I am much better off that I was four years ago. My eldest graduated from college with neither of us incurring debt. My daughter is currently in college and we are paying as we go, so no debt there either. My youngest starts this fall (we hope).

I am consistently amazed at the hatred spewed in this country. Yes, Trump and his tweets are part of it, but the way Democrats and liberals have acted since losing the election is unbelievable. I have lost friends because they found out that I voted from Trump...even though they voted for Hillary, I don't care. I think the thing that shows the best example of what is wrong with our society today is the Kavanaugh hearings.

The party that didn't win the election held on to information until the last moment. Then sought to ruin a man's like over false and/or unproven accusations from a woman who has 36 years to report and in the end, had no witnesses (that SHE brought forward) to support her and she had no memory of anything associated with the event. After the failed attempt, you had grown adults banging on the supreme court doors begging to be let in and actually crying that this innocent man was confirmed.

In the end, IMO, it's the media.
GoneGirl
contrario said:

Jinx 2 said:

contrario said:

Are you not religious? Or do you practice another faith? This is not a particularly friendly forum for non-believers, so I'm surprised you have so matter-of-factly announced that you're "not a Christian." But I suspect that your reliably conservative views will net you forgiveness for that sin, egregious as it's considered by some.

I'm tired of corporations that socialize their costs, including pensions and unemployment, and privatize their profits. When they start giving everything THEY make above a certain very low threshold ($75K is supposedly the minimum family income in this country where money is not a constant worry) for the beterment of society, you can start pointing at individuals to contribute in a similar fashion. But you should never ask other people to do something you aren't willing to do yourself, whether it's pick up dog poop or pay more taxes or take reasonably public health precautions to reduce the spread of COVID 19).

Let's be clear: You don't have a screaming idea of what username or anyone else on this forum does to help the poor, so your statement that "he clearly isn't doing his part" has no basis in fact you can verify in any way. You read a lot more into his post than he put there, and you lambasted him for "not doing his part" when you don't even know what his part IS, much less whether he's doing it or not. And YOU claim to be the fact-based, objecive poster here. Wow.

What he does say is that he's worked really hard in the last 4 years and made a lot of money doing it. You state in the post I'm responding to directly that you "believe everyone should keep more of the money they make." So what's your problem?
fadskier
Jinx 2 said:

Midnight Rider said:

"Dealing with the Corona virus" is a charitable description of what's happening in the U.S.

We're divided between the people who are dealing with it (local leaders, public health officials, governors in some states, people who take it seriously) and those who aren't dealing with it and are furious that anyone else is trying: (Trump, many members of his administration and everybody who is carrying on as if things are business as usual or worse, making a big deal about wearing a mask or social distancing).

We're certainly not, as a unified nation, "dealing with it" effectively and with good intentions. We're letting it happen and pointing fingers--the result of extremely poor leadership.
Poor leadership from whom? Your mayor? Your governor? Your president? All of the above?
fadskier
Jinx 2 said:

contrario said:

Would I be a better Christian if I openly rioted, protested? What would you have me do? Am I not supposed to support the President who is duly elected by the people?

I voted for Obama the first time and during his second term (when I didn't vote for him) I still supported him. Even though I disagreed with him, I did not come onto a university message board and throw a fit.

So I ask again, as a Christian, what am I supposed to do in regard to Trump?
Canada2017
Jinx 2 said:

contrario said:

Jinx 2 said:

contrario said:

Are you not religious? Or do you practice another faith? This is not a particularly friendly forum for non-believers, so I'm surprised you have so matter-of-factly announced that you're "not a Christian." But I suspect that your reliably conservative views will net you forgiveness for that sin, egregious as it's considered by some.

I'm tired of corporations that socialize their costs, including pensions and unemployment, and privatize their profits. When they start giving everything THEY make above a certain very low threshold ($75K is supposedly the minimum family income in this country where money is not a constant worry) for the beterment of society, you can start pointing at individuals to contribute in a similar fashion. But you should never ask other people to do something you aren't willing to do yourself, whether it's pick up dog poop or pay more taxes or take reasonably public health precautions to reduce the spread of COVID 19).

Let's be clear: You don't have a screaming idea of what username or anyone else on this forum does to help the poor, so your statement that "he clearly isn't doing his part" has no basis in fact you can verify in any way. You read a lot more into his post than he put there, and you lambasted him for "not doing his part" when you don't even know what his part IS, much less whether he's doing it or not. And YOU claim to be the fact-based, objecive poster here. Wow.

What he does say is that he's worked really hard in the last 4 years and made a lot of money doing it. You state in the post I'm responding to directly that you "believe everyone should keep more of the money they make." So what's your problem?

chuckle

Reading rants like this from Jinxy always makes me wonder about the length of her prescription med list .
riflebear
riflebear
Largest hispanic owned food company.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.