Facebook refuses to help Trump spread disinformation - a bet I would take

4,740 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Sam Lowry
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Estimated Population - 31.7%
Coronavirus Deaths - 0.2%
Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%
Is this supposed to imply that it's OK for Trump to lie and say kids don't get it or carry it?

They take it home to their parents and grandparents. They give it to their teachers. Kids can't live on their own or self-isolate; they're cared for by adults of all ages, Who are vulnerable and some of whom have comorbidities that makes Covid more dangerous.

My question for the group is, why is it so important for Trump to be right about this that you are willing to completely ignore the growing evidence that he's really been wrong about it and that he's doubling down on his mistakes to make the outbreak worse?
This isn't directed at you specifically but here goes. I have been in the hospital since early March taking care of COVID patients. Do you know how many hospitalized children have been admitted at the institutions in which I practice throughout? NONE. I also know of more than two dozen kids that are friends of my children that have had COVID and none of them had more than a fever and some lethargy. Almost half of them were tested as a precaution because they are summer camp counselors and they were shocked that they tested positive because they had no complaints at all.

My point is that so many people get their information from online "experts" and then when something is posted that disagrees with those sources, they are dismissed. I know what I am talking about. So do many other on this board. We may not all agree on everything but we are in agreement that children are more likely to die from hundreds of causes than from COVID and they are best served by going back to school.

As to the bolded above, when he tried to close our borders early on, he was labeled as xenophobic and racist. That would have saved lives. If only people had listened to the bad orange man then.
This doesn't address the main point, which is that children may spread it to teachers and relatives.

There are several studies that suggest this mode of transmission is less likely than it would seem. I have referenced my experiences. What are yours?
And there are other (likely better) studies that say different. What experience do you have specifically with the issue of transmission by children?

"Likely" lol. What experience do you have AT ALL? I have told you already that I have known more than a dozen "children" (under 20) that had ZERO symptoms. They were tested as a protocol. I have told you that in more than 6 months we have had ZERO children hospitalized. What have you told me? NOTHIBG.
That's great. Now what about my question?

I answered it. In my experience of taking care of Covid patients and being around Covid + children, under the age of 20, I have seen ZERO transmission to their siblings or their parents. Now please tell me about your wealth of non-medical experience.
Thanks. Get back to us when you've studied 65,000 patients instead of a dozen, including symptomatic and asymptomatic.

Is that what you've studied or are you relying on people you have never met?
Wow, you've met actual doctors? I had no idea.

The study I linked is one of the largest and most recent. Doesn't necessarily mean it's correct, but there it is. Thanks again for the semi-related anecdote, and do chime in if there's anything else.

You mean the fact that I actually take care of Covid patients for a living as an actual MD counts for nothing?
It counts for whatever it allows you to bring to the discussion. I'm often impressed by the nuanced arguments of lawyers who post on this board. I'm much less impressed by "hey dummy, I have a law degree." So there's a fair range of possibilities.

You believe what you read. I'll trust what I have experienced. I cannot convince you. I only hope you are as confident in your chosen profession as you are in medicine.
The experience you've described on a small scale is not inconsistent with the results of the study. That's the whole point.
he didnt get to pick and choose his participants or have an option manipulate the results or failed to release study results that gave the wrong conclusion. Gold tron is real life decisions with real consequences.
When all else fails, resort to science-bashing. Par for the course here lately.
science bashing? Hardly...

In all things, the science of academia doesnt always jive with the experience of the real world.
My real world experience tells me the earth is flat. That's why we need science.
here is some...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2586350/

"Many trials were still not published 5 y after FDA approval. Discrepancies between the trial information reviewed by the FDA and information found in published trials tended to lead to more favorable presentations of the NDA drugs in the publications. Thus, the information that is readily available in the scientific literature to health care professionals is incomplete and potentially biased."
What does this have to do with transmission of coronavirus by children? You've implicitly accused the Korean study of manipulating and concealing data relevant to that issue. What evidence do you have in support?
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%
Is this supposed to imply that it's OK for Trump to lie and say kids don't get it or carry it?

They take it home to their parents and grandparents. They give it to their teachers. Kids can't live on their own or self-isolate; they're cared for by adults of all ages, Who are vulnerable and some of whom have comorbidities that makes Covid more dangerous.

My question for the group is, why is it so important for Trump to be right about this that you are willing to completely ignore the growing evidence that he's really been wrong about it and that he's doubling down on his mistakes to make the outbreak worse?
This isn't directed at you specifically but here goes. I have been in the hospital since early March taking care of COVID patients. Do you know how many hospitalized children have been admitted at the institutions in which I practice throughout? NONE. I also know of more than two dozen kids that are friends of my children that have had COVID and none of them had more than a fever and some lethargy. Almost half of them were tested as a precaution because they are summer camp counselors and they were shocked that they tested positive because they had no complaints at all.

My point is that so many people get their information from online "experts" and then when something is posted that disagrees with those sources, they are dismissed. I know what I am talking about. So do many other on this board. We may not all agree on everything but we are in agreement that children are more likely to die from hundreds of causes than from COVID and they are best served by going back to school.

As to the bolded above, when he tried to close our borders early on, he was labeled as xenophobic and racist. That would have saved lives. If only people had listened to the bad orange man then.
This doesn't address the main point, which is that children may spread it to teachers and relatives.

There are several studies that suggest this mode of transmission is less likely than it would seem. I have referenced my experiences. What are yours?
And there are other (likely better) studies that say different. What experience do you have specifically with the issue of transmission by children?

"Likely" lol. What experience do you have AT ALL? I have told you already that I have known more than a dozen "children" (under 20) that had ZERO symptoms. They were tested as a protocol. I have told you that in more than 6 months we have had ZERO children hospitalized. What have you told me? NOTHIBG.

I answered it. In my experience of taking care of Covid patients and being around Covid + children, under the age of 20, I have seen ZERO transmission to their siblings or their parents. Now please tell me about your wealth of non-medical experience.
Thanks. Get back to us when you've studied 65,000 patients instead of a dozen, including symptomatic and asymptomatic.

The study I linked is one of the largest and most recent. Doesn't necessarily mean it's correct, but there it is. Thanks again for the semi-related anecdote, and do chime in if there's anything else.

You mean the fact that I actually take care of Covid patients for a living as an actual MD counts for nothing?
It counts for whatever it allows you to bring to the discussion. I'm often impressed by the nuanced arguments of lawyers who post on this board. I'm much less impressed by "hey dummy, I have a law degree." So there's a fair range of possibilities.

You believe what you read. I'll trust what I have experienced. I cannot convince you. I only hope you are as confident in your chosen profession as you are in medicine.
The experience you've described on a small scale is not inconsistent with the results of the study. That's the whole point.
he didnt get to pick and choose his participants or have an option manipulate the results or failed to release study results that gave the wrong conclusion. Gold tron is real life decisions with real consequences.

In all things, the science of academia doesnt always jive with the experience of the real world.
My real world experience tells me the earth is flat. That's why we need science.
here is some...

"Many trials were still not published 5 y after FDA approval. Discrepancies between the trial information reviewed by the FDA and information found in published trials tended to lead to more favorable presentations of the NDA drugs in the publications. Thus, the information that is readily available in the scientific literature to health care professionals is incomplete and potentially biased."
What does this have to do with transmission of coronavirus by children? You've implicitly accused the Korean study of manipulating and concealing data relevant to that issue. What evidence do you have in support?
hum... i thought I was defending Gold Tron when you implicitly stated he was a sorry doctor...

I will just leave this here... https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/146/2/e2020004879
Sam Lowry
Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

here is some...

hum... i thought I was defending Gold Tron when you implicitly stated he was a sorry doctor...

I will just leave this here... https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/146/2/e2020004879
Never said anything about him as a doctor. I assume he's smart enough to dial down the political rhetoric and not go telling his patients that kids are immune.
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

here is some...

Never said anything about him as a doctor. I assume he's smart enough to dial down the political rhetoric and not go telling his patients that kids are immune.
kids are mostly asymptomatic(carriers) and the link i posted shows they are not likely to pass to family/adults so...

Stay safe out there!
Sam Lowry
Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

here is some...

kids are mostly asymptomatic(carriers) and the link i posted shows they are not likely to pass to family/adults so...

Stay safe out there!
Even the meager data in your link shows children as index cases in as many as 8% of families. More up-to-date evidence is accumulating that children do spread the disease. WSJ published an article today citing several new studies.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.