Joe Biden reportedly to be tough on charter schools

3,154 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fadskier
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?

"We are pro-choice!"

Cool. I choose to pull my kid out of a failing public school and send them to a charter school.

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Canada2017
Teacher unions were one of the biggest contributors to Biden's campaign.

Just one of many nightmares coming to a community near you.

Get ready .
Dnicknames
The only change is Biden has called for a ban on federal funding for charter schools that are operated by for-profit companies.

Since 88% of charter schools are non-profits, the change is not necessarily material.

I'm for both school choice and against federally funding for profit schools. It's not that radical of a view.
Doc Holliday
Dnicknames said:

The only change is Biden has called for a ban on federal funding for charter schools that are operated by for-profit companies.

Since 88% of charter schools are non-profits, the change is not necessarily material.

I'm for both school choice and against federally funding for profit schools. It's not that radical of a view.
88% and declining. Joe is making sure tax dollars go to Public Sector unions and then straight to the DNC.
Redbrickbear
Please stop saying Joe and start saying Joe's handlers.

There is no proof that Joe Biden as any idea what he is doing or has made any meaningful input on policy ideas or stances since at least 2016.

He is old, obviously confused, unable to deliver non-scripted (and sometimes even scripted) speeches, and possibly suffering from dementia.

We are in the late Leonid Brezhnev era of the American state....and just like how Brezhnev during his later years ruling the USSR often had no idea what was going on and spent much of his time sleeping and watching soviet tv shows while the Soviet politburo and KGB made all the important decisions and policies....Biden's handlers will simply run the country.

So from now on a sentence should read not as "Joe will invade Syria, or Joe will be opening the borders" but more correctly as "Joe's handlers inside the liberal permanent state have decided x or y"

George Truett
Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

Cool. I choose to pull my kid out of a failing public school and send them to a charter school.

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

Most of them are a waste.

In our state, students at charter schools score lower than kids in public schools.

They also drain needed funds for public schools.
BU99
George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

In our state, students at charter schools score lower than kids in public schools.

What an uneducated post. While I am sure there are some problem charter schools, the premise is what we need, particularly those that serve underprivileged students who are in failing schools with no hope. As someone that has served on a charter school's board where we had the most impoverished student population in an underperforming district, the results were stunning. Our students not only graduated but most already had college credit and vast majority attended college or a trade school, the first in their family. Charters are critical to challenge underperforming public schools and provide innovative strategies in very challenging circumstances. Liberals that really want to help like yourself should be all for charters, it provides those students who need opportunity the most, the chance to succeed. Most importantly, good charter schools provide support and challenge those students, something they do not get at home or at their standard public school.

The better answer is to hold charter schools more accountable, not hinder them. Those that don't perform, but them out. They already get no facility funds so we had to raise money from the community. The per student fee from the government was not enough to balance the budget either.
midgett
George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

Link, please.

Competition makes everything better.
whitetrash
midgett said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

Link, please.

Not always, The fact there are Methodist and Presbyterian churches down the street from GT's "church" doesn't make him any better.
ATL Bear
Dnicknames said:

Why is for profit a problem? And this position is in conjunction with his belief that all charter schools siphon off money from public education. But you will be closing charter schools, moving students to inferior schools, and putting teachers out of work by cutting off the federal funding.
Whiskey Pete
Dnicknames said:

I can agree with that.

I also think that the car companies shouldn't have received a bailout, Solyndra should've had to give back the $500 million it took from tax payers and we should've never loaded a pallet full of cash for Iran.
fadskier
midgett said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

Link, please.

Sorry...in a for-profit world that may be true. I know of some good charter schools and some bad ones. Having said that, you cannot compare a publically-funded school with a private school. They are not, and cannot be in competition with each other.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
fadskier
I, for one, am glad that he will be tough on charter schools. In fact, we need to look at all schools. Republicans in Texas are trying to ruin public schools and sway public funds to private schools...which is a horrible idea. Luckily, the legitimate private schools know this and want no part of the government inside their schools.
midgett
fadskier said:

midgett said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

Link, please.

Sorry...in a for-profit world that may be true. I know of some good charter schools and some bad ones. Having said that, you cannot compare a publically-funded school with a private school. They are not, and cannot be in competition with each other.
I agree. There are bad charter schools and tons of bad public schools.

A combination of school choice and the ability to fire bad teachers and kick out bad students would allow for competition among public schools. Teacher unions have too much power.

I wish there was a fair way to judge teacher performance. A great teacher could have bad students or vice versa.

Weeding out the bad teachers and allowing more discipline would be great as it would be in other occupations with union power. We could get rid of bad police and come close to solving that problem.
fadskier
midgett said:

fadskier said:

midgett said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

Link, please.

A combination of school choice and the ability to fire bad teachers and kick out bad students would allow for competition among public schools. Teacher unions have too much power.

I wish there was a fair way to judge teacher performance. A great teacher could have bad students or vice versa.

Weeding out the bad teachers and allowing more discipline would be great as it would be in other occupations with union power. We could get rid of bad police and come close to solving that problem.
I disagree that school choice will make a difference. As long as public schools have to take whomever walks through the door and private schools get to pick and choose, it will never be equal.

Although Texas does not have unions, teachers are on contract. They are difficult to fire and I understand why...prior to having contracts, teachers were fired for bad reasons and schools were suffering.

I think a good teacher is like pron...I can't describe it but I know it when I see it.
midgett
fadskier said:

midgett said:

fadskier said:

midgett said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

Link, please.

I disagree that school choice will make a difference. As long as public schools have to take whomever walks through the door and private schools get to pick and choose, it will never be equal.

Although Texas does not have unions, teachers are on contract. They are difficult to fire and I understand why...prior to having contracts, teachers were fired for bad reasons and schools were suffering.

I think a good teacher is like pron...I can't describe it but I know it when I see it.
I agree on the good teacher comment. I had several growing up. My 11th grade English teacher was feared in our school. When I took her class it wasn't sectioned. There were students of various abilities in the class. I figured I would be able to coast.

WRONG!

She had a unique gift to push everyone to their limits. I took the SAT again after her class. My Verbal increased 90 or 100 points and it allowed me to initially get a half scholarship to Baylor. I also tested out of English 101 at Baylor. I love that woman!
EatMoreSalmon
In Texas, a lot of charter schools are in the public school system.
J.R.
It's fairly simple for you right wingers who don't like public schools. Work hard, send your kids to private schools. It's not that difficult. It may take some sacrifices, but it is doable.
Doc Holliday
J.R. said:

It's fairly simple for you right wingers who don't like public schools. Work hard, send your kids to private schools. It's not that difficult. It may take some sacrifices, but it is doable.
Shoot...there's not many 20 and 30 year olds (people with kids) making enough cash to support that.

My combined income is about $120k and there's no way in hell I can afford private school and barely daycare.

We're talking like an extra grand a month bro and by the time my child is in college Baylor is going to be $80k a year if things keep going the way they are with very small increase in wages.

I suppose I could buy a trailer home and a Dodge Neon.
midgett
J.R. said:

So you are really an elite liberal. Crappy public schools for thee, private schools for me.

It's the low income kids stuck in crappy inner city schools who have ZERO choice about their school.

Why should their futures be limited just because of where their house or apartment is located?
J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

Shoot...there's not many 20 and 30 year olds (people with kids) making enough cash to support that.

My combined income is about $120k and there's no way in hell I can afford private school and barely daycare.

We're talking like an extra grand a month bro and by the time my child is in college Baylor is going to be $80k a year if things keep going the way they are with very small increase in wages.

Now, that is BS. As I said, it would take some sacrifices. We sent our 2 kids to Private School in our early 30s and yes, it required some sacrifices, but it was important to us. Wife stayed home, so no day care which helped. Yes, you are correct, generally it costs between $1K-$2K per month depending on school. No car payments, no house payments. It's doable.
J.R.
midgett said:

J.R. said:

So you are really an elite liberal. Crappy public schools for thee, private schools for me.

It's the low income kids stuck in crappy inner city schools who have ZERO choice about their school.

Why should their futures be limited just because of where their house or apartment is located?
No, I'm speaking to people on this board. Hardly an elite Liberal. More like Conservative Elite is you must label. We made the choice and sacrifices. I hear all the hard righties railing on govt and govt schools. I am merely saying there are options if you just hate public school education. I feel for the inner city kids with no option and I have no idea what the solution to that is. I was speaking to this audience. It's much easier to send your kids to private schools in larger cities than rural areas to be sure. We sent ours to a private Christian School in Dallas till 9th for one and 7th for the the. Public School after that, so I know the difference.
J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

and sending your kid to BU for $80K is insane.
fadskier
I'm conservative and absolutely believe in and support public schools. If you want to send your kid to private school, go for it..but you don't get to use public money for it.
BU99
fadskier said:

midgett said:

fadskier said:

midgett said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

Link, please.

Just to clarify, a charter school in Texas is a public school. It simply operates independently and gets less funding (primarily facilities funding). Charter schools are free and can not selectively choose who they enroll with some minor exceptions. In the school I was involved with, we used a lottery system. Actually, I wish we could have selected but not for the reason you think. Over the years are demographic went from almost entirely underprivileged and minority to probably 60%. The reason, the success was so strong that local kids that would have otherwise went to private schools were applying and and the lottery pool was more diverse. I respect their desire to be in the school for all the right reasons, but in effect it took away spots from kids in more need.
Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

As usual, Doc speaks the truth .

Private school is beyond the financial capabilities of most people making even 150 per year.

Private Universities ...forget about it .
fadskier
BU99 said:

fadskier said:

midgett said:

fadskier said:

midgett said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

Link, please.

Just to clarify, a charter school in Texas is a public school. It simply operates independently and gets less funding (primarily facilities funding). Charter schools are free and can not selectively choose who they enroll with some minor exceptions. In the school I was involved with, we used a lottery system. Actually, I wish we could have selected but not for the reason you think. Over the years are demographic went from almost entirely underprivileged and minority to probably 60%. The reason, the success was so strong that local kids that would have otherwise went to private schools were applying and and the lottery pool was more diverse. I respect their desire to be in the school for all the right reasons, but in effect it took away spots from kids in more need.
I live in Texas and charters are treated like public schools. However, they absolutely do get to choose which kids they take in. I have three near me and they reject any student who has discipline issues or attendance issues. But my wife, who teaches at a public high school takes every kid regardless of any issue.
J.R.
fadskier said:

I'm conservative and absolutely believe in and support public schools. If you want to send your kid to private school, go for it..but you don't get to use public money for it.
I did and and paid ungodly property taxes and was quite fine with it.
J.R.
Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

Private school is beyond the financial capabilities of most people making even 150 per year.

No it is not. I know several people who do it. All about priorities.
fadskier
J.R. said:

fadskier said:

I did and and paid ungodly property taxes and was quite fine with it.
You used public money to pay for your child's private school?
Doc Holliday
J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

The private school closest to me is $16k a year. That's not mentioning all the other expenses that go with having children. $200k+ for K-12. It's like nearly buying another house with no monetary ROI. Imagine doing that with 3 kids!

The average household income is $60k a year. Most people don't even have a $1000 in their savings account or a 401k.

You must be pretty wealthy and disconnected from the vast majority of the middle class.

Cars, car insurance, phones, internet, health insurance, energy food and rent are extraordinarily expensive in today's world. All while property taxes are ballooning.
Canada2017
J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

Come on guy.

Maybe the grandparents help...maybe there is only ONE kid involved.

GrowlTowel
George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

Good point. Keep the kids in the brainwashing sector.

You probably were against teaching slaves to read as well. How very democrat of you.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Born_A_Bear
Texas does have unions and teacher unions are strong. The difference is that unlike in Biden's world, teachers are not required to join the union.
Whiskey Pete
J.R. said:

"you right wingers"? But but but, we thought you were a lifelong Republican
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.