Joe Biden reportedly to be tough on charter schools

3,157 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fadskier
Whiskey Pete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
J.R. said:

midgett said:

J.R. said:

It's fairly simple for you right wingers who don't like public schools. Work hard, send your kids to private schools. It's not that difficult. It may take some sacrifices, but it is doable.
So you are really an elite liberal. Crappy public schools for thee, private schools for me.

It's the low income kids stuck in crappy inner city schools who have ZERO choice about their school.

Why should their futures be limited just because of where their house or apartment is located?
No, I'm speaking to people on this board. Hardly an elite Liberal. More like Conservative Elite is you must label. We made the choice and sacrifices. I hear all the hard righties railing on govt and govt schools. I am merely saying there are options if you just hate public school education. I feel for the inner city kids with no option and I have no idea what the solution to that is. I was speaking to this audience. It's much easier to send your kids to private schools in larger cities than rural areas to be sure. We sent ours to a private Christian School in Dallas till 9th for one and 7th for the the. Public School after that, so I know the difference.
yep, you definitely have that "don't you know who I think I am" vibe about yourself
J.R.
fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

I'm conservative and absolutely believe in and support public schools. If you want to send your kid to private school, go for it..but you don't get to use public money for it.
I did and and paid ungodly property taxes and was quite fine with it.
You used public money to pay for your child's private school?
Wut? Don't know how that would work. What is said was that we sent our kids to private school while paying extremely high property taxes. I was agreeing with poster that , regardless if you choose to send your kids to private school, you should have to pay property taxes to support public schools.
J.R.
Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

It's fairly simple for you right wingers who don't like public schools. Work hard, send your kids to private schools. It's not that difficult. It may take some sacrifices, but it is doable.
Shoot...there's not many 20 and 30 year olds (people with kids) making enough cash to support that.

My combined income is about $120k and there's no way in hell I can afford private school and barely daycare.

We're talking like an extra grand a month bro and by the time my child is in college Baylor is going to be $80k a year if things keep going the way they are with very small increase in wages.

I suppose I could buy a trailer home and a Dodge Neon.
As usual, Doc speaks the truth .

Private school is beyond the financial capabilities of most people making even 150 per year.

Private Universities ...forget about it .
No it is not. I know several people who do it. All about priorities.
Come on guy.

Maybe the grandparents help...maybe there is only ONE kid involved.

some of both of those, always.
fadskier
J.R. said:

fadskier said:

J.R. said:

fadskier said:

I'm conservative and absolutely believe in and support public schools. If you want to send your kid to private school, go for it..but you don't get to use public money for it.
I did and and paid ungodly property taxes and was quite fine with it.
You used public money to pay for your child's private school?
Wut? Don't know how that would work. What is said was that we sent our kids to private school while paying extremely high property taxes. I was agreeing with poster that , regardless if you choose to send your kids to private school, you should have to pay property taxes to support public schools.
Got it. Thought you were responding to mine.

I think, if you choose, many people can do both. I have been fortunate to live in a place where the public schools are good...but I also believe that there are not as many bad public schools as we are led to believe. Texas ranks schools based on the lowest group of performance. Most "bad" public schools are in low income neighborhoods.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Gold Tron
BU99 said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

Cool. I choose to pull my kid out of a failing public school and send them to a charter school.

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

Most of them are a waste.

In our state, students at charter schools score lower than kids in public schools.

They also drain needed funds for public schools.
What an uneducated post. While I am sure there are some problem charter schools, the premise is what we need, particularly those that serve underprivileged students who are in failing schools with no hope. As someone that has served on a charter school's board where we had the most impoverished student population in an underperforming district, the results were stunning. Our students not only graduated but most already had college credit and vast majority attended college or a trade school, the first in their family. Charters are critical to challenge underperforming public schools and provide innovative strategies in very challenging circumstances. Liberals that really want to help like yourself should be all for charters, it provides those students who need opportunity the most, the chance to succeed. Most importantly, good charter schools provide support and challenge those students, something they do not get at home or at their standard public school.

The better answer is to hold charter schools more accountable, not hinder them. Those that don't perform, but them out. They already get no facility funds so we had to raise money from the community. The per student fee from the government was not enough to balance the budget either.
Don't mind George, he's like a pigeon playing chess. He knocks over all the pieces, craps on the board and then struts around like he won the game.
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
BU99
fadskier said:

BU99 said:

fadskier said:

midgett said:

fadskier said:

midgett said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

Cool. I choose to pull my kid out of a failing public school and send them to a charter school.

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

In our state, students at charter schools score lower than kids in public schools.

Link, please.

Competition makes everything better.
Sorry...in a for-profit world that may be true. I know of some good charter schools and some bad ones. Having said that, you cannot compare a publically-funded school with a private school. They are not, and cannot be in competition with each other.
I agree. There are bad charter schools and tons of bad public schools.

A combination of school choice and the ability to fire bad teachers and kick out bad students would allow for competition among public schools. Teacher unions have too much power.

I wish there was a fair way to judge teacher performance. A great teacher could have bad students or vice versa.

Weeding out the bad teachers and allowing more discipline would be great as it would be in other occupations with union power. We could get rid of bad police and come close to solving that problem.
I disagree that school choice will make a difference. As long as public schools have to take whomever walks through the door and private schools get to pick and choose, it will never be equal.

Although Texas does not have unions, teachers are on contract. They are difficult to fire and I understand why...prior to having contracts, teachers were fired for bad reasons and schools were suffering.

I think a good teacher is like pron...I can't describe it but I know it when I see it.

Just to clarify, a charter school in Texas is a public school. It simply operates independently and gets less funding (primarily facilities funding). Charter schools are free and can not selectively choose who they enroll with some minor exceptions. In the school I was involved with, we used a lottery system. Actually, I wish we could have selected but not for the reason you think. Over the years are demographic went from almost entirely underprivileged and minority to probably 60%. The reason, the success was so strong that local kids that would have otherwise went to private schools were applying and and the lottery pool was more diverse. I respect their desire to be in the school for all the right reasons, but in effect it took away spots from kids in more need.
I live in Texas and charters are treated like public schools. However, they absolutely do get to choose which kids they take in. I have three near me and they reject any student who has discipline issues or attendance issues. But my wife, who teaches at a public high school takes every kid regardless of any issue.

That is not correct. First, they are not treated like public schools, they are public schools, just not traditional versions. As for admittance, from the TEA website:

Must a charter accept any student?
As a general rule, charter schools are open enrollment and must accept any student who applies. There are exceptions though. A charter is only allowed to serve students in the grades in its approved charter. The school may also only accept students who live in the charter's approved geographic boundary. A charter also will have a cap on the total number of students it may serve.

In fairness, what may have given you that impression, a charter can expel a student (although a public school can (or at least send to alternative learning center), but I'll admit a charter has more flexibility here, but still is limited. Also from the TEA website:

A charter school may not remove or expel a student for failure to progress in the program. The only time a charter may expel a student is if the student commits an expellable offense. The student code of conduct should list these types of offenses. The expulsion may only happen after due process has occurred. The charter holder board must determine that the expulsion is appropriate.
fadskier
BU99 said:

fadskier said:

BU99 said:

fadskier said:

midgett said:

fadskier said:

midgett said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

"We are pro-choice!"

"NOT THAT CHOICE!"
Good.

Link, please.

Competition makes everything better.
Sorry...in a for-profit world that may be true. I know of some good charter schools and some bad ones. Having said that, you cannot compare a publically-funded school with a private school. They are not, and cannot be in competition with each other.
I agree. There are bad charter schools and tons of bad public schools.

A combination of school choice and the ability to fire bad teachers and kick out bad students would allow for competition among public schools. Teacher unions have too much power.

I wish there was a fair way to judge teacher performance. A great teacher could have bad students or vice versa.

Weeding out the bad teachers and allowing more discipline would be great as it would be in other occupations with union power. We could get rid of bad police and come close to solving that problem.
I disagree that school choice will make a difference. As long as public schools have to take whomever walks through the door and private schools get to pick and choose, it will never be equal.

Although Texas does not have unions, teachers are on contract. They are difficult to fire and I understand why...prior to having contracts, teachers were fired for bad reasons and schools were suffering.

I think a good teacher is like pron...I can't describe it but I know it when I see it.

Just to clarify, a charter school in Texas is a public school. It simply operates independently and gets less funding (primarily facilities funding). Charter schools are free and can not selectively choose who they enroll with some minor exceptions. In the school I was involved with, we used a lottery system. Actually, I wish we could have selected but not for the reason you think. Over the years are demographic went from almost entirely underprivileged and minority to probably 60%. The reason, the success was so strong that local kids that would have otherwise went to private schools were applying and and the lottery pool was more diverse. I respect their desire to be in the school for all the right reasons, but in effect it took away spots from kids in more need.
I live in Texas and charters are treated like public schools. However, they absolutely do get to choose which kids they take in. I have three near me and they reject any student who has discipline issues or attendance issues. But my wife, who teaches at a public high school takes every kid regardless of any issue.

That is not correct. First, they are not treated like public schools, they are public schools, just not traditional versions. As for admittance, from the TEA website:

Must a charter accept any student?
As a general rule, charter schools are open enrollment and must accept any student who applies. There are exceptions though. A charter is only allowed to serve students in the grades in its approved charter. The school may also only accept students who live in the charter's approved geographic boundary. A charter also will have a cap on the total number of students it may serve.

In fairness, what may have given you that impression, a charter can expel a student (although a public school can (or at least send to alternative learning center), but I'll admit a charter has more flexibility here, but still is limited. Also from the TEA website:

A charter school may not remove or expel a student for failure to progress in the program. The only time a charter may expel a student is if the student commits an expellable offense. The student code of conduct should list these types of offenses. The expulsion may only happen after due process has occurred. The charter holder board must determine that the expulsion is appropriate.

What TEA says and what charters school do are two different animals. I am telling you what I know for a fact. There are three charters around me and they do not accept discipline problems or students wit hattendance problems. It is on their application.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.