Fracking Ban

2,483 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jack Bauer
kenjon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Porteroso said:

kenjon said:

Porteroso said:

edit: Fluid definitely escapes its casing, but I posted a quote about it reaching groundwater, was actually looking for information about it reaching the water table.

edit2:
Quote:

Figure ES-7 illustrates how the vertical separation distance between the targeted rock formation and underground drinking water resources can vary across the United States. The two example environments depicted in panels a and b represent the range of separation distances shown in panel c. In Figure ES-7a, there are thousands of feet between the bottom of the underground drinking water resource and the hydraulically fractured rock formation. These conditions are generally reflective of deep shale formations (e.g., Haynesville Shale), where oil and gas production wells are first drilled vertically and then horizontally along the targeted rock formation. Microseismic data and modeling studies suggest that, under these conditions, fractures created during hydraulic fracturing are unlikely to grow through thousands of feet of rock into underground drinking water resources.

EPA study
I'll admit that I seem to be wrong about it reaching the water table. I have read that in multiple places, and never gone to the trouble of seeing if it was correct or not. It commonly reaches groundwater, not the water table.

The larger point I'm making, about fracking damaging the environment, is still worth making.
Quote:

A well with insufficient mechanical integrity can allow unintended fluid movement, either from the inside to the outside of the well (pathway 1 in Figure ES-6) or vertically along the outside of the well (pathways 2-5). The existence of one or more of these pathways can result in impacts on drinking water resources if hydraulic fracturing fluids reach groundwater resources.

EPA study

Sir- I say this with respect for you as human. Please stop asserting ideas when you don't understand the subject. I'd be happy to converse with you once you have studied it but the propaganda that your attesting to is either not relevant or has no factual basis.

In this EPA quote, I know of any company that is going to spend millions of dollars fracking down casing that isn't going into the formation that they targeted in the horizontal leg. If issues come up, the frack job will be stopped and the casing repair made. These 'issues' are never near the groundwater supply as casing 'issues' often occur in the horizontal portion of the casing. Groundwater is typically covered by 2--3 strings of casing.
The EPA gives 2 examples of the fluid contaminating nearby groundwater. Are you saying that's not true?
Name a well were this has occurred during fracking operations. The frack pressure would drop substantially and operations would be suspended. Great consideration is designed into the frack prior to performing it. This design work considers the many 'oil and gas' reservoirs that are water wet (non fresh water - ancient seas) between the target zone and the groundwater. Water production from these wet zones will increase expenses and lower the well reserves. Typical frack height is roughly 100-250 ft above the target zone. By example, if the zone is drilled @ 7500', the frack height may reach 7250'. Fresh water is roughly 50-400' in most of West Texas.

A well can have a small amount of contamination during drilling operations prior to setting casing through the fresh water zones. When drilling initial casing, fresh water is generally required prior to setting the surface casing so this contamination is very minimal - in a lot of cases it probably freshens up the West Texas water.
J.R.
kenjon said:

Porteroso said:

kenjon said:

Porteroso said:

edit: Fluid definitely escapes its casing, but I posted a quote about it reaching groundwater, was actually looking for information about it reaching the water table.

edit2:
Quote:

Figure ES-7 illustrates how the vertical separation distance between the targeted rock formation and underground drinking water resources can vary across the United States. The two example environments depicted in panels a and b represent the range of separation distances shown in panel c. In Figure ES-7a, there are thousands of feet between the bottom of the underground drinking water resource and the hydraulically fractured rock formation. These conditions are generally reflective of deep shale formations (e.g., Haynesville Shale), where oil and gas production wells are first drilled vertically and then horizontally along the targeted rock formation. Microseismic data and modeling studies suggest that, under these conditions, fractures created during hydraulic fracturing are unlikely to grow through thousands of feet of rock into underground drinking water resources.

EPA study
I'll admit that I seem to be wrong about it reaching the water table. I have read that in multiple places, and never gone to the trouble of seeing if it was correct or not. It commonly reaches groundwater, not the water table.

The larger point I'm making, about fracking damaging the environment, is still worth making.
Quote:

A well with insufficient mechanical integrity can allow unintended fluid movement, either from the inside to the outside of the well (pathway 1 in Figure ES-6) or vertically along the outside of the well (pathways 2-5). The existence of one or more of these pathways can result in impacts on drinking water resources if hydraulic fracturing fluids reach groundwater resources.

EPA study

Sir- I say this with respect for you as human. Please stop asserting ideas when you don't understand the subject. I'd be happy to converse with you once you have studied it but the propaganda that your attesting to is either not relevant or has no factual basis.

In this EPA quote, I know of any company that is going to spend millions of dollars fracking down casing that isn't going into the formation that they targeted in the horizontal leg. If issues come up, the frack job will be stopped and the casing repair made. These 'issues' are never near the groundwater supply as casing 'issues' often occur in the horizontal portion of the casing. Groundwater is typically covered by 2--3 strings of casing.
The EPA gives 2 examples of the fluid contaminating nearby groundwater. Are you saying that's not true?
Name a well were this has occurred during fracking operations. The frack pressure would drop substantially and operations would be suspended. Great consideration is designed into the frack prior to performing it. This design work considers the many 'oil and gas' reservoirs that are water wet (non fresh water - ancient seas) between the target zone and the groundwater. Water production from these wet zones will increase expenses and lower the well reserves. Typical frack height is roughly 100-250 ft above the target zone. By example, if the zone is drilled @ 7500', the frack height may reach 7250'. Fresh water is roughly 50-400' in most of West Texas.

A well can have a small amount of contamination during drilling operations prior to setting casing through the fresh water zones. When drilling initial casing, fresh water is generally required prior to setting the surface casing so this contamination is very minimal - in a lot of cases it probably freshens up the West Texas water.
again...correct. and WT water is the worst. Hard as nails.
Bexar Pitts
bularry said:

Stranger said:

My son's employer provides fuel to frac operators in West Texas and New Mexico. He said that almost 100 percent of their jobs in New Mexico are on federal land.

This will hurt,
they finding much oil in there? been out of the space a bit but that always seemed like a "hope" more than actual economic find...
Actually, New Mexico is one of the top 10 oil producing states in the Union. Most of it is done in the SE part of the state ( which technically is part of the Permian Basin) and in the 4 corners area of the state (NW part).
Doc Holliday
Bexar Pitts said:

bularry said:

Stranger said:

My son's employer provides fuel to frac operators in West Texas and New Mexico. He said that almost 100 percent of their jobs in New Mexico are on federal land.

This will hurt,
they finding much oil in there? been out of the space a bit but that always seemed like a "hope" more than actual economic find...
Actually, New Mexico is one of the top 10 oil producing states in the Union. Most of it is done in the SE part of the state ( which technically is part of the Permian Basin) and in the 4 corners area of the state (NW part).
Yep. Their state regulatory is horrible though. You can hardly get ahold of them.
kenjon
Doc Holliday said:

Bexar Pitts said:

bularry said:

Stranger said:

This will hurt,
Yep. Their state regulatory is horrible though. You can hardly get ahold of them.
I agree. I grew up there and that is the environment that I operate in.

NM is #3 in oil production and it would have quickly become #2 passing North Dakota. Eddy and Lea County is the best of the best in the Permian and arguable the world.
Jack and DP
Bexar Pitts
Jack and DP said:

Good and "fair" article,Jack. Thanks for posting
Bexar Pitts
Bexar Pitts said:

Jack and DP said:

Good and "fair" article,Jack. Thanks for posting
An item that I don't believe this article mentioned is that while 50% of drilling is done on federal land, @ 35% is done on state owned land. New Mexico rig count was down already about 30% from a year ago. (around 70 currently from 102 a year ago) Hopefully , after this 60 day "freeze", the ban will be lifted..We'll see. If not, West Texas is calling!
Whiskey Pete
Why does dementia joe and his minions not want America to be energy independent?
Jack Bauer
Wait, what

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.