Starting to change my mind

4,039 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by STxBear81
Porteroso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldbear83 said:

Just think about how insurance "works".

I had knee replacement surgery in January. Now I pay every paycheck for my insurance, and so does my employer. So my insurance company already gets paid.

But before anything else on my procedure started, I had to "meet my deductible". So in addition to paying every paycheck for my insurance, I have to pay again to satisfy this requirement.

Then, I still have to pay for the procedure and hospital and everyone associated with it. But since my insurance "covers" it, I 'only' have to pay 20% of the cost. Although it's really more than 20%, since I had to pay my deductible plus years of premiums.

Now that I am in recovery, I am seeing my doctor and doing rehab. I get to pay again for those, a "co pay" to the doctor and something more than 20% of the cost for my rehab, because rehab is "not fully covered".

Pay before you ever use it, pay a chunk of bucks when you decide to use it, then pay some or all of your costs and expenses when you use it.

And we're the "LUCKY" ones, because we 'have' insurance?

You have your life savings, and obviously have internet, and the energy to complain. You are incredibly priviledged. Not a knock, just a fact. Don't let your privilege make you blind, even though it already has.....
Buddha Bear
Gold Tron said:

JXL said:

fadskier said:

I have always said that our health care system is broken (as far as insurance is concerned)...my son went to wound care for four months with a copay of $52.16...it ended Dec 31, 2020. I get a bill for $1,378 for his vistis all the way back to September. I call and ask...billing tells me it is my deductable. I say, I didn't ask that question. I wanted to know why I wasn't billed monthly (no explanation) and why it costs so much...again I get the that's your deductable...again, I say...not my question. What is the cost? They don't know and direct me to another department whrere I have to request itemized bills. I submit request.

I get a packet of pages where every visit to woulnd care is $574 and with visits have an additional $950 added on. I call and ask what these charges are for....no one can answer except say that the amount is not what I owe bu twhet they are billing insurance for. Yes, I know what what was done in wound care that merits $574 and $1,400...no answer,...treansferred to patient care...patient care understand my frustration and will ensure that I get answers...that was a month ago. I got a new bill saying that I am part due.

Maybe it's time for a different way to do this.

Pretty much every developed country in the world does health-care billing better than we do,

Blame Medicare. And people want government totally in charge of medicine...

No. Lack of transparency is a major problem. Insurance and billing are major problems. That is the private sector. The US is the worst at health care billing and pricing. The worst in the entire world. We need to recognize this and demand change. Or it never will.

My biggest fear about moving back to America is having bad insurance coverage or some medical emergency. I've seen how other developed countries run their system. I've experienced it. They have their problems, but none as big as America's healthcare system problems. I prefer another system. The financial risks far outweigh the benefits of our current system.
LTbear
Oldbear83 said:

LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

I had knee replacement surgery in January. Now I pay every paycheck for my insurance, and so does my employer. So my insurance company already gets paid.

But before anything else on my procedure started, I had to "meet my deductible". So in addition to paying every paycheck for my insurance, I have to pay again to satisfy this requirement.

Then, I still have to pay for the procedure and hospital and everyone associated with it. But since my insurance "covers" it, I 'only' have to pay 20% of the cost. Although it's really more than 20%, since I had to pay my deductible plus years of premiums.

Now that I am in recovery, I am seeing my doctor and doing rehab. I get to pay again for those, a "co pay" to the doctor and something more than 20% of the cost for my rehab, because rehab is "not fully covered".

Pay before you ever use it, pay a chunk of bucks when you decide to use it, then pay some or all of your costs and expenses when you use it.

I'll probably have to join the ranks of terminator knee someday, but I'm trying to put it off for another couple decades.
One thing I learned, is that it's important to start exercises and certain therapies before the surgery, to make recovery easier.

Also, do your homework on your surgeon. I am very happy with my results, because I used a board-certified Orthopedic surgeon who not only has a lot of experience with knee replacement, he has written articles published in the AMA Journal. Internet is a good tool for that, as is finding out from former patients how things went.

And most of all, rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab!
Oh, I will when I get there. My knee is just slowly deteriorating from old football injuries layered with year and years of hiking and mountain climbing. The more I exercise, to some degree, the better - the muscle and their tendons hold it all together well when in shape. I won't need it soon, but someday. Hope your recovery goes well.
Whiskey Pete
fadskier said:

I have always said that our health care system is broken (as far as insurance is concerned)...my son went to wound care for four months with a copay of $52.16...it ended Dec 31, 2020. I get a bill for $1,378 for his vistis all the way back to September. I call and ask...billing tells me it is my deductable. I say, I didn't ask that question. I wanted to know why I wasn't billed monthly (no explanation) and why it costs so much...again I get the that's your deductable...again, I say...not my question. What is the cost? They don't know and direct me to another department whrere I have to request itemized bills. I submit request.

I get a packet of pages where every visit to woulnd care is $574 and with visits have an additional $950 added on. I call and ask what these charges are for....no one can answer except say that the amount is not what I owe bu twhet they are billing insurance for. Yes, I know what what was done in wound care that merits $574 and $1,400...no answer,...treansferred to patient care...patient care understand my frustration and will ensure that I get answers...that was a month ago. I got a new bill saying that I am part due.

Get rid of HMOs? Maybe we should only carry major medical insurance. Get the insurance companies out of the most of our dealings with medical care. Pay out of pocket for most medical procedures.

Also, if the gov't really gave two s-h-i-t-s about my health, then I would be able to deduct EVERYTHING concerning my healthcare instead of just what's over a certain percentage of my AGI. The fact that I must have a flexpay account is ridiculous. The fact that I have to spend umpteen of hundreds per month just to have the privilege to pay additional money out of my pocket in the from of deductibles, and out of pocket maximums, means something is horribly wrong.

And screw Obama/Biden... my insurance premium almost doubled while my benefits went down. F'kn azzholes.
STxBear81
Mine quadrupled and my family plan for wife and two kids doubled. I have pre existing condition with cancer. so its higher. Then a deductible of 2500 per family member. I did choose this plan, but the point is its expensive and out of bounds. It should be the Unaffordable HCA
Oldbear83
LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

I'll probably have to join the ranks of terminator knee someday, but I'm trying to put it off for another couple decades.
One thing I learned, is that it's important to start exercises and certain therapies before the surgery, to make recovery easier.

Also, do your homework on your surgeon. I am very happy with my results, because I used a board-certified Orthopedic surgeon who not only has a lot of experience with knee replacement, he has written articles published in the AMA Journal. Internet is a good tool for that, as is finding out from former patients how things went.

And most of all, rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab rehab!
Oh, I will when I get there. My knee is just slowly deteriorating from old football injuries layered with year and years of hiking and mountain climbing. The more I exercise, to some degree, the better - the muscle and their tendons hold it all together well when in shape. I won't need it soon, but someday. Hope your recovery goes well.
Thanks LT. My tibia was decaying on the outside, so my whole leg was shifting weight outward when I walked. So there was no question I had to have the surgery.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BearFan33
Make insurance companies nonprofit entities responsible only to their customers (not shareholders). Of course the existing shareholders would need to be compensated. But since we throw around trillions in dc that shouldn't be a problem.
trey3216
Make sure you know what the Medicare reimbursement rate for any visit or procedure is prior to having anything done. Tell the provider that you will only pay the reimbursement rate, and not a penny more. it's a hassle, and you need to do a little legwork, but it will save you a ton of $$.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
bubbadog
Buddha Bear said:

Gold Tron said:

JXL said:

fadskier said:

Pretty much every developed country in the world does health-care billing better than we do,

No. Lack of transparency is a major problem. Insurance and billing are major problems. That is the private sector. The US is the worst at health care billing and pricing. The worst in the entire world. We need to recognize this and demand change. Or it never will.

My biggest fear about moving back to America is having bad insurance coverage or some medical emergency. I've seen how other developed countries run their system. I've experienced it. They have their problems, but none as big as America's healthcare system problems. I prefer another system. The financial risks far outweigh the benefits of our current system.
Correct -- please don't blame Medicare. Doctors, PAs, nurse practitioners are the heroes of the healthcare system. They're not responsible for the way that billing works. Other than their reimbursement rates for procedures under Medicare, they're largely unaware of the crazy quilt that is the larger picture of billing rates and reimbursements in the US system.

I've learned something about it from working with companies in the healthcare revenue cycle management field -- a fancy term that encompasses a lot more than collections but also helping hospitals manage their billing offices. In general, billing offices do a VERY poor job processing third-party claims. They bill the wrong payer or don't manage to bill at all because it's complex and they cherry-pick the easy ones first. As a result, a lot of these claims age out to 90 days and then the hospital simply turns them over to a collection agency for pennies on the dollar -- which means they leave millions on the table needlessly. So they try to make up for it (and for the uncompensated indigent care they are required to provide) by gouging other patients where they can (or trying to gouge insurance companies through up-coding.)

Hospitals also use the slimy practice of outsourcing their ER operations without disclosing this to patients. So you go to your in-network hospital for an ER visit and then get surprised-billed for an outrageous out-of-network charge because you had no idea that the ER doctors at your in-network hospital actually are out-of-network.

And it's aggravating as hell -- I suspect we've all been there -- to get a bill from the hospital/clinic and then a separate bill from the doctors' group, instead of one, consolidated bill.

Almost all of this is as invisible to your doctor as it is to their patients.

My experience has been that, between Medicare and the private insurance companies, Medicare is generally the payer that has its **** together in terms of accurate billing. Their overhead costs also are about half that of the private insurance sector.

And CMS (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services) has actually been a big driver of cost-saving innovation. For example, under Obama they rolled out bundled payment initiatives for joint surgeries that incentivize the fragmented network of providers in a care "episode" -- physicians, hospitals, rehab centers -- to work collaboratively to save money while maintaining the same high standard of quality. If they bring in the "episode" under a designated cost threshold, they get to share in the savings. That's an alignment of incentives that is absent in most of the rest of the system. Private insurers, who already are making fat profits under the current system, never bothered to push for something like this.

Medicare also was the payer that started docking hospitals if their infection and readmission rates were too high, giving providers a bottom-line incentive to implement better infection-control policies and make doctors wash their damn hands. Private insurers would just pay these additional costs for avoidable readmissions because they knew they could pass them on eventually through premium increases -- no incentive to demand better quality and lower costs.

CMS also has been leading the push to drive a lot of procedures traditionally performed in hospitals to outpatient settings in ambulatory surgery centers, which reduce costs a lot and actually deliver higher quality (measured, for example, by fewer facility-based infections post-surgery and lower readmission rates). Patients also overwhelmingly prefer ASC settings to hospital campuses, so it's a win-win. In the past 2--3 years, Medicare has approved a lot of procedures for reimbursement in the ASC setting, including cardiac procedures and joint surgeries that once never would have been done outside the hospital.

It's just a myth that Medicare isn't pushing innovation in both quality and cost savings.
Gold Tron
bubbadog said:

Buddha Bear said:

Gold Tron said:

JXL said:

fadskier said:

Correct -- please don't blame Medicare. Doctors, PAs, nurse practitioners are the heroes of the healthcare system. They're not responsible for the way that billing works. Other than their reimbursement rates for procedures under Medicare, they're largely unaware of the crazy quilt that is the larger picture of billing rates and reimbursements in the US system.

I've learned something about it from working with companies in the healthcare revenue cycle management field -- a fancy term that encompasses a lot more than collections but also helping hospitals manage their billing offices. In general, billing offices do a VERY poor job processing third-party claims. They bill the wrong payer or don't manage to bill at all because it's complex and they cherry-pick the easy ones first. As a result, a lot of these claims age out to 90 days and then the hospital simply turns them over to a collection agency for pennies on the dollar -- which means they leave millions on the table needlessly. So they try to make up for it (and for the uncompensated indigent care they are required to provide) by gouging other patients where they can (or trying to gouge insurance companies through up-coding.)

Hospitals also use the slimy practice of outsourcing their ER operations without disclosing this to patients. So you go to your in-network hospital for an ER visit and then get surprised-billed for an outrageous out-of-network charge because you had no idea that the ER doctors at your in-network hospital actually are out-of-network.

And it's aggravating as hell -- I suspect we've all been there -- to get a bill from the hospital/clinic and then a separate bill from the doctors' group, instead of one, consolidated bill.

My experience has been that, between Medicare and the private insurance companies, Medicare is generally the payer that has its **** together in terms of accurate billing. Their overhead costs also are about half that of the private insurance sector.

And CMS (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services) has actually been a big driver of cost-saving innovation. For example, under Obama they rolled out bundled payment initiatives for joint surgeries that incentivize the fragmented network of providers in a care "episode" -- physicians, hospitals, rehab centers -- to work collaboratively to save money while maintaining the same high standard of quality. If they bring in the "episode" under a designated cost threshold, they get to share in the savings. That's an alignment of incentives that is absent in most of the rest of the system. Private insurers, who already are making fat profits under the current system, never bothered to push for something like this.

Medicare also was the payer that started docking hospitals if their infection and readmission rates were too high, giving providers a bottom-line incentive to implement better infection-control policies and make doctors wash their damn hands. Private insurers would just pay these additional costs for avoidable readmissions because they knew they could pass them on eventually through premium increases -- no incentive to demand better quality and lower costs.

CMS also has been leading the push to drive a lot of procedures traditionally performed in hospitals to outpatient settings in ambulatory surgery centers, which reduce costs a lot and actually deliver higher quality (measured, for example, by fewer facility-based infections post-surgery and lower readmission rates). Patients also overwhelmingly prefer ASC settings to hospital campuses, so it's a win-win. In the past 2--3 years, Medicare has approved a lot of procedures for reimbursement in the ASC setting, including cardiac procedures and joint surgeries that once never would have been done outside the hospital.

It's just a myth that Medicare isn't pushing innovation in both quality and cost savings.
Are you a physician? Everything you are saying about Medicare is the opposite of my 18 years as a Medicare provider.

In response to the bolded part above, these are being done to reduce cost and in many instances without concern for patients. It is disgusting to me that cardiologists can now own outpatient cardiac catheterization facilities but do not offer interventional services. So, an unwitting patient goes in for their procedure. They are told in recovery that they have some blockages that are amenable to stenting but that they need to go to the hospital tomorrow to have another catheterization so that the intervention can be done in a hospital setting so that if there is a complication, it can be appropriately treated.

There is a major push for total joint replacement to transition to "outpatient" procedures through bundled payment to the orthopedic provider. Most patients will never be appropriate candidates to be treated in an outpatient setting for those type of surgeries.
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
nein51
What's really ridiculous is that insurance will pay for my double bypass if I need it...but not my gym membership. They will pay for knee replacement but not a trainer. They will pay for all of the costs associated with my weight but may not pay for gastric bypass (not that I would do it or need it but you get the point). I could lose 200lbs, be left with tons of loose skin and they will not pay for the procedure to remove it because it is "cosmetic" even though losing 200lbs probably saves them hundreds of thousands of long term dollars.
Oldbear83
Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

You have your life savings, and obviously have internet, and the energy to complain. You are incredibly priviledged. Not a knock, just a fact. Don't let your privilege make you blind, even though it already has.....
Money I worked my ass off to build for my family for 50 years is not "privilege"

Go take a long walk off a short pier with that crap
bubbadog
Gold Tron said:

bubbadog said:

Buddha Bear said:

Gold Tron said:

JXL said:

fadskier said:

Are you a physician? Everything you are saying about Medicare is the opposite of my 18 years as a Medicare provider.
I am not a physician. I do work with MDs every day, and I know the pain points they express about pressures on reimbursements, the amount of time they have to spend on documentation vs. actual patient care, hassles about insurance pre-authorizations, frustrations with hospital systems, and a general feeling that they are no longer the gatekeepers of the healthcare system as they once were. The work I do now is all about empowering physicians.

I can't speak to your own experiences with Medicare, but I stand by what I said about them as the driving force behind the bundled payment program, behind penalizing hospitals for excessive readmission rates and about helping push more care to ASCs. All of that stuff absolutely happened and is happening.

As to efficiency in handling claims, I'll give you an example from my personal experience. My elderly mother had supplemental Medicare insurance through Baylor Scott & White. Once she would have been able to navigate the maze all by herself. But a couple of years ago, as she was moving into assisted living, I had to help resolve a couple of insurance bills for her.

She got regular injections for her arthritic shoulders at Scott & White's flagship hospital in Temple. Then one month she gets a bill for them for about $2,500 for two shots. It was supposed to be covered. S&W billed Medicare, and Medicare kicked it back and refused to pay, so S&W then simply billed my mother, since patients have to sign that they are personally liable if insurance won't pay. Turned out that Medicare was right not to pay; the hospital had mistakenly billed the injections as inpatient care instead of outpatient. But it took me a couple of hours dealing with S&W's insurance bureaucracy to get that figured out. They said they would review and resubmit the claim, and that was the end of it. Medicare was right, and the private insurer was wrong.

After my mother moved to assisted living, we learned that Medicare would cover the cost of a hospital bed, which she actually needed. So I made the arrangements with a local medical equipment company. Great folks who came to her AL apartment and assembled the bed for her. But a year later she gets a notice that the bed is going to be repossessed for non-payment. Do what? So I had to get on the phone with the equipment company -- the ones who had told me Medicare would cover it and who had never sent us a bill. After a couple of go-rounds, I figured out the problem. They still had an account number on file for my deceased father and had mistakenly submitted the bill under his account number instead of my mother's. So Medicare correctly kicked it back and wouldn't pay. The company filed the claim again with the correct info.

These are just two examples, but I could give you probably 10 more just from my own experience. Every single time, Medicare had their act together, and the providers and/or private insurers did not.
nein51
I wonder how many millions of dollars are spent by consumers each year on care they aren't actually responsible for. And how many people end up with credit issues from billing "mistakes". Can't tell you how many times we have received bills that my wife spent hours on the phone correcting.

Like most consumers I don't care which party is to blame. I just want my time/money back.
bubbadog
Gold Tron said:

bubbadog said:

Buddha Bear said:

Gold Tron said:

JXL said:

fadskier said:

There is a major push for total joint replacement to transition to "outpatient" procedures through bundled payment to the orthopedic provider. Most patients will never be appropriate candidates to be treated in an outpatient setting for those type of surgeries.
I'm sure your last statement is true. I had my hip replacement done in a major hospital, and I am grateful that there were so many resources under one roof. Hopefully, providers and administrators are honest enough to make sure that patients for whom an ASC setting is inappropriate don't get funneled there simply because of bottom-line considerations. But if that happens, I would tend to fault the provider and not Medicare.

I did a good bit of work a couple of years ago for a company that was working closely with large orthopedic groups and hospital systems on helping them manage the bundled payment program successfully. One thing I learned from them was that the single biggest cost in a joint replacement is the artificial joint. Getting provider groups simply to standardize which manufacturer they would use, instead of leaving it up to individual surgeons, turned out to be a big cost-saver.
Oldbear83
bubbadog said:

Gold Tron said:

bubbadog said:

Buddha Bear said:

Gold Tron said:

JXL said:

fadskier said:

I'm sure your last statement is true. I had my hip replacement done in a major hospital, and I am grateful that there were so many resources under one roof. Hopefully, providers and administrators are honest enough to make sure that patients for whom an ASC setting is inappropriate don't get funneled there simply because of bottom-line considerations. But if that happens, I would tend to fault the provider and not Medicare.

I did a good bit of work a couple of years ago for a company that was working closely with large orthopedic groups and hospital systems on helping them manage the bundled payment program successfully. One thing I learned from them was that the single biggest cost in a joint replacement is the artificial joint. Getting provider groups simply to standardize which manufacturer they would use, instead of leaving it up to individual surgeons, turned out to be a big cost-saver.
Speaking from recent experience, there is also the cost of innovation.

I could have had my knee replacement surgery long ago, but I did not like that the replacement joints were only good for 10-20 years. Even then I knew I did not want to go through that kind of thing more than once.

The joint I have now is a new plastic/titanium alloy which was developed over a number of years, and is designed not only to be easier on muscles and soft tissue, but is also designed to last a long time - it's only been out a couple years but the hope is it will last up to 45 years.

The thing is, designing and developing that joint took a lot of work and several trials, and not every insurance carrier was willing to take a chance. They preferred a 15-20 year joint they knew well over the new experimental joint, even though the new design would potentially revolutionize the procedure.

So things like anesthesia, new product designs, new procedural protocols, all have to be worked out not just by medical professionals but also with the facilities and insurance.
bubbadog
Oldbear83 said:

bubbadog said:

Gold Tron said:

bubbadog said:

Buddha Bear said:

Gold Tron said:

JXL said:

fadskier said:

Speaking from recent experience, there is also the cost of innovation.

I could have had my knee replacement surgery long ago, but I did not like that the replacement joints were only good for 10-20 years. Even then I knew I did not want to go through that kind of thing more than once.

The joint I have now is a new plastic/titanium alloy which was developed over a number of years, and is designed not only to be easier on muscles and soft tissue, but is also designed to last a long time - it's only been out a couple years but the hope is it will last up to 45 years.

The thing is, designing and developing that joint took a lot of work and several trials, and not every insurance carrier was willing to take a chance. They preferred a 15-20 year joint they knew well over the new experimental joint, even though the new design would potentially revolutionize the procedure.

So things like anesthesia, new product designs, new procedural protocols, all have to be worked out not just by medical professionals but also with the facilities and insurance.
Agreed, which is one reason I held off as long as I could on getting a hip replacement. (Too many years of playing basketball 5 days a week.) And, to the point of your first sentence, advances in technology are actually a big driver of escalating costs in the overall health care system, despite the fact that some innovations (e.g., laparoscopic surgical procedures) actually reduce costs. Many people seem to think that we'd change the cost curve drastically if we just got rid of the ACA (or, depending on which side you're on, expanded the ACA). But technology is a big driver, and unless you're willing to ration care in a much harsher way than we do now, there's only so far the cost curve is going to bend under a system that emphasizes treatment of acute health problems over preventive care and proactive disease management. Under our current system, providers are incentivized for expensive interventions and not for improving patients' health status in ways that would save a lot of money in the long run. In fact, it's not extreme to say that the for-profit healthcare system would be in crisis under a rational system that emphasized preventive care and improved health status.
STxBear81
Medicare is the driving force for reimbursement by other insurance companies. First a Hospital. Dr office or PT, OT Speech have to be credentialed thru medicare to be able to be open to see patients, bill and get paid. If you pass mcare inspection then other Insurance companies follow suit. you may get credentialed by mcare and choose not to see mcare patients, but most do because they pay decent and its a good source of patients. Mcare has rules and you have to follow them. I dont know why CMS or mcare get a bad reputation as a health insurance plan. They have tiered coverage for different settings at different prices for premiums. As a provider who gets paid for offering services they arent the best payor and they also have limits to what they pay for annually. or a Threshold. But they do pay. Once a patient exceeds that they usually need a ABN form to sign to approve further services in advance of treatment that they approve for self pay. Im not sure what to say about the problems with insurance as a policyholder and as a provider of care. I do Know health insurance is not healthcare as most people think. healthcare is provided by the provider you choose for the service you need. Health insurance may or may not cover it. health insurance is too high and unaffordable. do we need it? i do. Employers no longer pay for employees health insurance like they did 10-20 years ago. If at all. Most employers require you to average 40 hour work weeks to get paid vacation.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.