Forget the Alamo!

18,880 Views | 345 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Canada2017
Proud 1992 Alum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess Waco47 thinks he is doing a public service by posting the same paragraphs over and over again.
Robert Wilson
Waco1947 said:

Stranger said:

Waco1947 said:

redfish961 said:

4th and Inches said:

The "americans" that moved to Texas were mexican citizens. The problems started when Mexico's republic government which made certain promises to the Texas region of Mexico changed its ruling processes when the political leadership and style of govt changed.

Heros like Bowie married a local Mexican woman and had children. There is a statue of Juan Seguin at the Alamo. The locals were not marginalized. The sacrifices made by the men and women who fought for independence at Goliad, Gonzalez, Refurio, the Alamo, and San Jacinto should not be marginalized by idiots who havent taken the time to read the letters and journals to get to the internal thoughts and feelings of those who were there

The US didnt want another slave state, Texas was a republic for years before becoming a state.

Everything about this book appears to be bias slanted trash having little to do with the truth of what happened.
There is an obvious pattern here.

Never let the truth stand in the way of a good diatribe.

What is the truth?

Truth? You can't handle the truth!
Yeah I can handle. What the truth?

What's the truth? You're pro slavery and pro colonizer. See above.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Waco1947 said:

Robert Wilson said:

This whole business of (i) trying to critique someone's entire life rather than focusing on what they did that is pertinent to the history books and then (ii) trying to judge their entire life not within the time period during which they lived or within the flow of history, but rather by today's standards is complete foolishness. Just a way to tear others down and make us feel better about ourselves. We could all be torn apart, out of context, by other fools in the future. Who cares.
What is out of context? The Alamo defenders fought for slavery. It's history. Learn from it.
What were their heroic goals? Slavery is not heroic ideal. You can't name any truly historic ideals.
The Alamo defenders did not fight for slavery. That's just reductionist bull***** You just gave a perfect example of out of context.

They fought for independence from Mexico. There were a lot of reasons for that - primary among them was Mexico not honoring its own Constitutional obligations towards Texas. Many of them were merely fighting against the heavy boot heel of Santa Anna. Few of them owned slaves or were even farmers. A few were and did, but they managed to continue that while part of Mexico anyway.

You think Davy Crockett went to Texas to fight for slavery? He went to Texas because he was pissed off he lost a Congressional election in Tennessee to the Jacksonians (another group I'm sure you detest) and he went west trying to find a frontier and a new place to live out the rest of his life, then got caught up in the revolution.
And of course the OP doesn't mention that a big part of Crockett's beef with the Jacksonians had to do with Indian removal. He was basically alone on what's now seen as the right side of history.
Waco1947
Proud 1992 Alum said:

I guess Waco47 thinks he is doing a public service by posting the same paragraphs over and over again.
I am because it is the truth of our origins. Don't the paragraphs reveal the truth.
Try dealing with truth not imagined motivations
Waco1947
Waco1947
Robert Wilson said:

Waco1947 said:

Stranger said:

Waco1947 said:

redfish961 said:

4th and Inches said:

The "americans" that moved to Texas were mexican citizens. The problems started when Mexico's republic government which made certain promises to the Texas region of Mexico changed its ruling processes when the political leadership and style of govt changed.

Heros like Bowie married a local Mexican woman and had children. There is a statue of Juan Seguin at the Alamo. The locals were not marginalized. The sacrifices made by the men and women who fought for independence at Goliad, Gonzalez, Refurio, the Alamo, and San Jacinto should not be marginalized by idiots who havent taken the time to read the letters and journals to get to the internal thoughts and feelings of those who were there

The US didnt want another slave state, Texas was a republic for years before becoming a state.

Everything about this book appears to be bias slanted trash having little to do with the truth of what happened.
There is an obvious pattern here.

Never let the truth stand in the way of a good diatribe.

What is the truth?

Truth? You can't handle the truth!
Yeah I can handle. What the truth?

What's the truth? You're pro slavery and pro colonizer. See above.
Prove your claim. "See above what?" Name calling is all you appear to be able to do.
I would to hear thoughts.
Waco1947
Waco1947
Thanks. Good info about Crockett
Waco1947
Waco1947
Robert Wilson said:

Redbrickbear said:

GrowlTowel said:

Chamberman said:

Waco1947 said:

There is standing for these "heroes" because they stood for slavery and nothing else.
My ancestor was an Alamo defender from Gonzales TX. He and his wife owned no slaves. They had a small farm, and were only interested in a quality of life for Texans.

Know your **** before you start spouting your *****
Similar. Mine was a dirt poor, illiterate, young man from Illinois who came to Texas in 1833 to apply for a land grant. He joined just after the Revolution broke out and died on March 6, 1836.

47 - his probate inventory listed only eighteen head of cattle, eleven hogs, and a branding iron. No slaves.
No only was that the average bio of a Texas Independence war solider....it was the average bio of a civil war solider (USA or CSA).

The woke and their attempt to attack these men makes my blood boil.

These were young poor men.
Yep. Same with the civil war soldiers - poor scots irish white trash fighting for their families / states / homeland. They
never benefited from slavery - in fact it was probably an economic detriment to them all along. They were more noble than any woke twitterer.
Indeed they fighting for homeland but not for enslaved African Americans
Waco1947
Proud 1992 Alum
Waco1947 said:

Proud 1992 Alum said:

I am because it is the truth of our origins. Don't the paragraphs reveal the truth.
Try dealing with truth not imagined motivations

So those are magic paragraphs? Did you find them in a golden box at the end of a rainbow? Just because you found someone's writing persuasive doesn't mean it is the truth.
whiterock
Waco1947 said:

4th and Inches said:

Short sighted reading of San Antonio. Tejanos were marginalized as soon Texians arrived.
...arrived in areas so devoid of Mexican citizens that the Mexican government gave millions of acres of land grants to empresarios who were citizens of another country to bring citizens in from all over the world to settle drylands with marginal rainfall which were so cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and full of marauding indian tribes that Mexican citizens simply would not live there.

If it weren't for ideology, your posts would have no ideas at all.
Waco1947
Truth one of founding of Texas is slavery. That's truth not a "golden box."
Waco1947
Waco1947
whiterock said:

Waco1947 said:

4th and Inches said:

Short sighted reading of San Antonio. Tejanos were marginalized as soon Texians arrived.
...arrived in areas so devoid of Mexican citizens that the Mexican government gave millions of acres of land grants to empresarios who were citizens of another country to bring citizens in from all over the world to settle drylands with marginal rainfall which were so cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and full of marauding indian tribes that Mexican citizens simply would not live there.

If it weren't for ideology, your posts would have no ideas at all.
While is much truth on what you say but the issue is slavery by Texians to pick cotton with a forced labor of African Americans in the Brazos Valley.
Mexicans had little standing in Texas before, during, and after the Revolution by impresarios. And once again yes the US wanted another slave state.
Waco1947
Waco1947
Jackson was not deterred, however. His offer to buy Texas was wrapped up in slavery-related politics. With an increasing number of non-slave states entering the Union, Southerners were lobbying to add Texas as a slave state.

The situation became more acute in 1829 when Mexico outlawed slavery throughout the country including Texas. But Jackson's offer to purchase Texas, where thousands of slave-owning Southerners had settled, was summarily declined.
Richard Dunman
Waco1947
Forest Bueller_bf
Redbrickbear said:

Porteroso said:

Thee University said:

Porteroso said:

Remembering their heroism isn't the same as condoning their individual actions throughout their lives. Nothing more than trash cancel culture.
Can you say the same for all of the Confederate leaders who have had their statues destroyed and torn down?

Columbus?
Washington?
Grant?
Francis Scott Key?

Telling people to forget history is a far cry from glorifying individuals with statues and monuments. Removing a statue of a KKK leader from public property to a Confederate cemetery isn't the same as canceling the Alamo.
Actually its almost the same. Its condemning men of the past by the standards of the present time period (and through a liberal/leftist social lens)

Very similar to statue destruction in China under Mao....everything before community party must be destroyed.

And the only KKK leader I can think of that had a statue was Gen. Forrest in Memphis. And while he did help found the Klan as a pseudo-Masonic fraternal group....he ordered the Klan disbanded when the Republican governor of Tennessee asked him to do so (because it was becoming a violent organization as its chapters spread). And on his death the local black paper said since the war he had been a good friend of the Memphis black community.

"Forrest also approached the Memphis Board of Aldermen, according to newspaper accounts, and argued that the black citizens could be doctors, clerks, bankers or anything else if given the opportunity and education. He believed that the blacks were a part of the community and should be involved and employed like anyone else."

"As president of the Selma, Marion & Memphis Railroad, he employed former slaves as construction engineers, crew foremen, train engineers and conductors. Blacks were hired as managers, as well as laborers.
In 1875, Forrest was invited to address a meeting of the Independent Order of Pole Bearers, an early black civil rights organization in Memphis, at its Fourth of July barbecue."

http://rutherfordtnhistory.org/remembering-rutherford-forrest-was-postwar-activist-for-black-civil-rights/
So Forrest grew, he learned and in essence "repented" of his past, and he was part of the solution in reconciling black Americans into mainstream life in America.

GrowlTowel
So if Texans fought for slavery, it follows, 47, that Americans in WWI fought for Jim Crow and in WWII fought for segregation, using your logic?

Wow, if I were you I would find the person that taught you to hate yourself and kick his/her/its ass. You are truly one of the most evil persons I have ever come across.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Waco1947
GrowlTowel said:

So if Texans fought for slavery, it follows, 47, that Americans in WWI fought for Jim Crow and in WWII fought for segregation, using your logic?

Wow, if I were you I would find the person that taught you to hate yourself and kick his/her/its ass. You are truly one of the most evil persons I have ever come across.
Disingenuous comparison.
And WW II returned to the Jim Crow south where they beaten.
Beaten because they were black
Waco1947
GrowlTowel
Waco1947 said:

GrowlTowel said:

Disingenuous comparison.
And WW II returned to the Jim Crow south where they beaten.
Beaten because they were black
No, spot on *****. Don't you have some abortions to perform today? GTFO
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
LIB,MR BEARS
Are we discussing specks or planks? And should we start with yours, ours or theirs?
Forest Bueller_bf
GrowlTowel said:

Here is the deal, it is a garbage book with the sole purpose of it being written to make the people, the politics and the event of the Alamo look as bad as it possibly could. It was written to deconstruct the "whitewashed anglo" angle of the Alamo. To proclaim they weren't heroic, they didn't fight to the end, they had no idea what they were doing etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Were the people at the Alamo perfect, hell no, were their motives perfect, are motives ever, were the men at the Alamo the most heroic men ever born. Not all of them and maybe even not most of them.

But here is the angle this book was written with. You have a pastor, he is an all around good guy and he tries to lead his flock in the right direct. You want to write a book about him, your first 2 questions are.

1) Do you still beat your wife?

2) Are you ever going to stop stealing from your flock? and a third for good measure.

3) Are you still lusting after one of our elders wives?

But instead of him getting to answer these charges, his worst enemy in the world is getting to answer them.

It is simply a hit piece, written for folks who eat up "critical race" stuff. If the Alamo story has 10 different angles, this was written leaving out 9 of them.

ABC BEAR
Well 1947, it is Thursday afternoon and time to start work on your Sunday sermon. What topic is it this week....."Forget The Offering" or "Remember The Offering-Forget The Sermon" or perhaps "Examine Your Origins, But Not During The Service" ? Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be a real stemwinder.
Robert Wilson
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Are we discussing specks or planks? And should we start with yours, ours or theirs?
All of the above, but you always start with theirs.

We did find out that Waco1947 is pro slaver and pro colonizer, so there is that.
Forest Bueller_bf

Quote:

Remembering Rutherford: Forrest was postwar activist for black civil rights
People Places and Stories

Greg Tucker, Daily News Journal, July 13, 2015

Retired Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest was an outspoken advocate for the civil rights of the freedmen in postwar Tennessee.

This advocacy and his popularity with the Memphis black community were resented by some of his white contemporaries who spread false rumors to discredit the general and further their own political interests.
Shortly after the end of the Civil War and while Memphis was still under U.S. military command, Forrest spoke to the federal authorities regarding the former slaves within their command. He noted that many of the freedmen were skilled artisans and should be employed.

Additionally, he urged the authorities to establish training programs for the younger blacks, so the next generation would not be dependent.

Forrest also approached the Memphis Board of Aldermen, according to newspaper accounts, and argued that the black citizens could be doctors, clerks, bankers or anything else if given the opportunity and education. He believed that the blacks were a part of the community and should be involved and employed like anyone else.
Although his words to the federal authorities and the city aldermen went unheeded, Forrest conducted his own business consistent with what he urged upon others.

As president of the Selma, Marion & Memphis Railroad, he employed former slaves as construction engineers, crew foremen, train engineers and conductors. Blacks were hired as managers, as well as laborers.
In 1875, Forrest was invited to address a meeting of the Independent Order of Pole Bearers, an early black civil rights organization in Memphis, at its Fourth of July barbecue.

Although told by several whites that he should not participate, Forrest accepted the invitation. See McClarey, "Nathan Bedford Forrest and Racial Reconciliation," American Catholic (Aug. 6, 2010).

Just before he spoke, Forrest was presented a bouquet of flowers by the daughter of a Pole Bearers' officer. The gathering was at the Memphis fairgrounds, and Forrest's short, extemporaneous speech was reprinted in the Memphis newspaper, as follows:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.)

"I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none. (Applause.)

"I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics.

"You have a right to elect whom you please, vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office.

"I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends and welcome you to the white people.

"I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment.

"Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict.

"Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.)

After the speech Forrest thanked the young black woman for the bouquet and kissed her on the cheek. This public familiarity between the races was unheard of at the time.

In his speech Forrest referred to "black persons here who stood by me through the war." Apparently in the crowd were some of the cavalrymen who served in his command.

When Forrest's cavalry surrendered in May 1865, sixty-five blacks were on Forrest's muster role, including eight in Forrest's Escort, the general's handpicked elite inner circle. Commenting on the performance of his black soldiers, Forrest said: "Finer Confederates never fought."

Forrest detractors allege that the Confederate general was the "founder of the KKK." This is factually incorrect. The 19th century Ku Klos was founded as a fraternal organization on Dec. 24, 1865, in Pulaski by Thomas M. Jones, a Giles County judge; Frank O. McCord, publisher of the Pulaski newspaper; and four other Confederate veterans. Though not present at a Ku Klos meeting in Nashville in 1867, Forrest was elected as grand wizard of the organization.

There is no evidence that Forrest ever wore any Klan costume or ever "rode" on any Klan activity. He did, however, on Oct. 20, 1869, order that all costumes and other regalia be destroyed and that Klan activity be ended.

This was confirmed by the U. S. Congress in 1871: "The natural tendency of all such organizations is to violence and crime, hence it was that Gen. Forrest and other men of influence by the exercise of their moral power, induced them to disband." See U. S. Congressional Committee Report (June 27, 1871).
When Forrest died in 1877, Memphis newspapers reported that his funeral procession was over two miles long. The throng of mourners was estimated to include over 3,000 black citizens of Memphis.
A special thanks for research assistance to Billy Miller (Murfreesboro) and Dan McGuire and Lee Millar (Memphis).

I believe the entirety of the article was better to be included, as the man obviously was much more equitable and fair in mind, in the end, than the vast majority of people living even today, much less in 1875.
4th and Inches
Forest Bueller_bf said:

GrowlTowel said:

Here is the deal, it is a garbage book with the sole purpose of it being written to make the people, the politics and the event of the Alamo look as bad as it possibly could. It was written to deconstruct the "whitewashed anglo" angle of the Alamo. To proclaim they weren't heroic, they didn't fight to the end, they had no idea what they were doing etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Were the people at the Alamo perfect, hell no, were their motives perfect, are motives ever, were the men at the Alamo the most heroic men ever born. Not all of them and maybe even not most of them.

But here is the angle this book was written with. You have a pastor, he is an all around good guy and he tries to lead his flock in the right direct. You want to write a book about him, your first 2 questions are.

2) Are you ever going to stop stealing from your flock? and a third for good measure.

But instead of him getting to answer these charges, his worst enemy in the world is getting to answer them.

It is simply a hit piece, written for folks who eat up "critical race" stuff. If the Alamo story has 10 different angles, this was written leaving out 9 of them.

Yep, the author is attempting to describe the picture on a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle using only one piece
Waco1947
LIB,MR BEARS said:

The Alamo "heroes.
Waco1947
Waco1947
Forest Bueller_bf said:

GrowlTowel said:

Did the Texians fight for the right to own slaves?
Waco1947
Canada2017
Waco1947 said:

Robert Wilson said:

This whole business of (i) trying to critique someone's entire life rather than focusing on what they did that is pertinent to the history books and then (ii) trying to judge their entire life not within the time period during which they lived or within the flow of history, but rather by today's standards is complete foolishness. Just a way to tear others down and make us feel better about ourselves. We could all be torn apart, out of context, by other fools in the future. Who cares.

What is out of context? The Alamo defenders fought for slavery. It's history. Learn from it.
What were their heroic goals? Slavery is not heroic ideal. You can't name any truly historic ideals.

You have zero comprehension of Texas history .

You have zero comprehension of the history of the West .

You have zero comprehension of US history .

Merely a very old mediocrity bored out of his mind in assisted living .

Continually posting semi literate trash hoping to generate responses in the vain hope to pass still another day of empty hours .

Waco1947
Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Continually posting semi literate trash hoping to generate responses in the vain hope to pass still another day of empty hours .

Yes I know Texas history
Waco1947
4th and Inches
Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Yes I know Texas history
not based on your posts
Waco1947
4th and Inches said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Yes I know Texas history
not based on your posts
Point out my errors
Waco1947
4th and Inches
Waco1947 said:

4th and Inches said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Yes I know Texas history
not based on your posts
Point out my errors
They've been pointed out, repeatedly
ATL Bear
Waco1947 said:

4th and Inches said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Yes I know Texas history
not based on your posts
Point out my errors
Believing the effort, sacrifice, and cause weren't noble or just because there was injustice in the world at the time. It's really a fatal flaw in your's and many in the historical grievance camp.
Canada2017
Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Yes I know Texas history

You know nothing and are lucid barely 50% of the time .

The sins committed throughout your unproductive and failure prone existence..... will not be transferred to others posting ridiculous trash on an internet fan site .

So take your pills offered by the night nurse and try not to soil your bedsheets for once .
bearassnekkid
I think it's funny that there are people who still think Waco1947 is the pastor of a church. Feeding the troll, folks.
Canon
4th and Inches said:

Waco1947 said:

4th and Inches said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Yes I know Texas history
not based on your posts
Point out my errors

It's challenging to win an argument against an intelligent person. It's IMPOSSIBLE to win an argument against an idiot.
Whiskey Pete
Waco1947 said:

4th and Inches said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Yes I know Texas history
not based on your posts
Point out my errors
What state do you live in?
Waco1947
4th and Inches said:

Waco1947 said:

4th and Inches said:

Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Yes I know Texas history
not based on your posts
Point out my errors
Try again. I am listening. Specifically what what were my errors.
Waco1947

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.