Reparations

3,121 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sam Lowry
GrowlTowel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

Here is something I saw the other day talked about some possibilities.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/how-we-rise/2021/06/11/time-will-not-heal-5-ways-to-address-the-inheritance-of-black-poverty-starting-now/

Any discussion about the cycle of poverty in blacks that does not address cultural and behavioral problems within the black community as being a major cause, is NOT an honest discussion. Your article is one of those.

So you believe the black is inferior to the white race?
White liberals do.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
boognish_bear
Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/how-we-rise/2021/06/11/time-will-not-heal-5-ways-to-address-the-inheritance-of-black-poverty-starting-now/

Any discussion about the cycle of poverty in blacks that does not address cultural and behavioral problems within the black community as being a major cause, is NOT an honest discussion. Your article is one of those.
Explain the data behind fatherless black homes. Why is that happening at such a high rate? It's not unique to poverty. If that was happening to white people, I'd conclude that it's become normalized and accepted behavior in the white community instead of blaming society.

So for you the answer would be yes?
boognish_bear
GrowlTowel said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

White liberals do.

Wouldn't surprise me with some..there is definitely a dose of "white saviorism" on that side
Doc Holliday
boognish_bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

Explain the data behind fatherless black homes. Why is that happening at such a high rate? It's not unique to poverty. If that was happening to white people, I'd conclude that it's become normalized and accepted behavior in the white community instead of blaming society.

So for you the answer would be yes?
No, culture and race aren't the same thing. Culture is typically defined by shared behavior within a location.

Cocaine use in the 80's became trendy and normal through cultural acceptance. Same concept.
Booray
Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

What is the out of wedlock rate for white people in poverty? Is it that much different than black people in poverty? It could be that the difference in white and black out of wedlock rates is a symptom of income/wealth inequality regardless of race.

I really don't know.
muddybrazos
Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

What is the out of wedlock rate for white people in poverty? Is it that much different than black people in poverty? It could be that the difference in white and black out of wedlock rates is a symptom of income/wealth inequality regardless of race.

I really don't know.
Most of the time when people are married they are not in poverty bc of the whole 2 people sharing income & expenses together. Getting married before having kids and having a job are two of the best ways to not be in poverty.
Whiskey Pete
nein51 said:

I think it's an offensive and patently stupid ideabut no more stupid than the 80 rounds of free government "stimulus" (sorry vote buying handout).

In fairness my real problem is that there's no way to make the problem go away with money. The problem is socioeconomic not race. Ie if you print money, hand money to people who have no money, you don't get a narrowed gap over timeyou get poor people with new stuff.
Bingo!

I remember when Bush the admin handed out $2,000 prepaid Visa cards to those affected by Hurricane Katrina, mean to help them buy food and pay for shelter... they ended up with sneakers and tvs and phones
Booray
muddybrazos said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

I really don't know.
Most of the time when people are married they are not in poverty bc of the whole 2 people sharing income & expenses together. Getting married before having kids and having a job are two of the best ways to not be in poverty.
Yes.

That is not the point of the inquiry. There seems to be a dispute about why "black people" do things that are not productive. Is it race or culture? The example is pregnancy out of wedlock; the "proof" is a higher rate for blacks than whites.

My point is that the statistic may be misleading: it is something poor people do more often. Because there are more poor blacks than poor whites, the percentage of blacks with children out of wedlock is larger but not because of race or culture, but based on poverty in the first place.

Its an untested theory on this board so far but until it is disproven it is just as logical of an answer as "there is a problem with black culture."
Whiskey Pete
Booray said:

We have been paying reparations since the beginning of the great society. It hasn't helped.

One route out of poverty is there. Between my dad's career and my shorter time in, I was around the US military for 30 years. I saw thousands of disadvantaged kids make a life for themselves, whether they were career or served a 4-year enlistment and then took advantage of educational benefits. If you are willing to be a reasonably responsible human being, it is there for you.

The military is not for everyone. Would love a civilian service equivalent.
I could get behind a civilian service equivalent to the military.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Booray said:

muddybrazos said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

I really don't know.
Yes.

That is not the point of the inquiry. There seems to be a dispute about why "black people" do things that are not productive. Is it race or culture? The example is pregnancy out of wedlock; the "proof" is a higher rate for blacks than whites.

My point is that the statistic may be misleading: it is something poor people do more often. Because there are more poor blacks than poor whites, the percentage of blacks with children out of wedlock is larger but not because of race or culture, but based on poverty in the first place.

Its an untested theory on this board so far but until it is disproven it is just as logical of an answer as "there is a problem with black culture."
Actually, Sir, you are mistaken. There are many more poor whites in this country than poor blacks. Many more whites on the welfare rolls than blacks. Yes, there is a higher percentage of poor blacks.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
ABC BEAR
Reparations? Does this mean that BLM will pay to repair everything the broke last summer?
Booray
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Booray said:

muddybrazos said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

I really don't know.
Yes.

Actually, Sir, you are mistaken. There are many more poor whites in this country than poor blacks. Many more whites on the welfare rolls than blacks. Yes, there is a higher percentage of poor blacks.
the "proof" is a higher rate for blacks than whites.

and

Because there are more poor blacks than poor whites, the percentage of blacks with children out of wedlock is larger but not because of race or culture, but based on poverty in the first place.

Point taken, but from the quotes above, it is pretty clear that I was talking about percentages.
nein51
Booray said:

muddybrazos said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

I really don't know.
Yes.

About 34% of children are born into single parent households and that number has held steady since 2010:
In 2019 (and I dont think anything here is particularly shocking, if you had asked me to rank these I would ranked them in this order though maybe not these percentages)
64% of African American children
52% of American Indian
42% of Hispanics
25% of Whites
15% of Asians

It is very hard to find good data by race, by income...however, we know that children in single family homes are far more likely to live in poverty. That number hovers in the 40-45% range which is approx 3X the number for children from 2 parent homes.

We also know that single parent homes are a cycle. Girls born into single parent homes are 2X as likely to ALSO have children in a single parent home.

From Heritage Foundation:
For families with the same race and amount of parental education, when compared to intact married families, children from single parent homes are:
  • More than twice as likely to be arrested for a juvenile crime.
  • Twice as likely to receive treatment for behavioral and emotional problems.
  • Approximately twice as likely to be expelled or suspended from school.
  • A third more likely to drop out of high school.
Furthermore, girls from single parent homes are more than twice as likely to have a child without getting married. And by the time children from single parent homes reach age 30 when adjusted for families of the same race and similar incomes they are three times more likely to end up in jail. Finally, children from single parent homes are 50 percent more likely to experience poverty, even when adjusted for original differences in family income and poverty during childhood.

Also, not for nothing, in the mid 1960s almost 95% of children were born into 2 parent households.
GrowlTowel
nein51 said:

Booray said:

muddybrazos said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

I really don't know.
Yes.

Also, not for nothing, in the mid 1960s almost 95% of children were born into 2 parent households.
Enter the War on Poverty . . .
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Redbrickbear
GrowlTowel said:

nein51 said:

Booray said:

muddybrazos said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

I really don't know.
Yes.

War on poverty was part of it.

The liberalizing of our divorce laws was another.

Exporting our blue collar factory jobs overseas to make Wall St. rich was the final blow.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Redbrickbear said:

GrowlTowel said:

nein51 said:

Booray said:

muddybrazos said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

I really don't know.
Yes.

War on poverty was part of it.

The liberalizing of our divorce laws was another.

Exporting our blue collar factory jobs overseas to make Wall St. rich was the final blow.
It is not too late to reverse any of those three. We need to reshore jobs from China; tax incentives can help. Tax incentives to reshore are also better money used than another round of Keynesian spendulus.

We can step back from no-fault divorce, but it will take a change in society's view on family and marriage. Repentance, if you will.

The War on Poverty is another lost war. We need to admit that it is lost and stop throwing government money at it.
Doc Holliday
Booray said:

muddybrazos said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

I really don't know.
Yes.

Single parent households have declined in recent history. They were largely intact throughout most of history when poverty was more extreme and widespread than today. I'm more inclined to believe that it's learned behavior or cyclical.

Mutual causality exists within your assessment: Poor are more likely to be single parent households while single parent households are almost always poor.

My definition of culture doesn't mean something celebrated. Plano high school had an outbreak of heroin use a few decades ago I believe. Spontaneous mass use of drugs in one affluent high school can only be explained by peer pressure or learned acceptable behavior. I would define the situation as the culture within that high school.
4th and Inches
Booray said:

muddybrazos said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

I really don't know.
Yes.

Thee University
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

If you are willing to be a reasonably responsible human being, it is there for you.
We have a massive labor shortage with loads of opportunity and people act as if they live in a caste society,

What we have today are millions of lazy and envious people who aren't reasonably responsible human beings.
That is so much nicer than I would have put it.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Thee University
ABC BEAR said:

Reparations? Does this mean that BLM will pay to repair everything the broke last summer?
Most people calling for reparations don't know what it means.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Thee University
How about paying folks who volunteer for sterilization? This would improve life for so many and relieve stresses on our country.

Gone would be millions of children "thrown away" by parents who are not capable or do not want the responsibility of raising a child.

Wrecks Quan Dough
School choice would be a good way to help break the cycle of poverty:

Sam Lowry
GrowlTowel said:

nein51 said:

Booray said:

muddybrazos said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

boognish_bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

boognish_bear said:

I really don't know.
Yes.

And the Pill...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.