Biblical womanhood

6,180 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by quash
90sBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

I didn't say it didn't happen. I said it is not correct in the church. Paul wasn't writing about how to run the Academy.
So women can teach men (future priests and pastors) on religious matters in a seminary, but not at church? And you think Paul made this distinction when students of his day were only taught at the synagogue?

Paul didn't need to make that distinction. Women didn't teach men Judaism and they didn't receive a formal education on Judaism like Paul did. Paul was a scholar and lawyer. Name one 1st century female who was of either the school of Hillel or any other school of religious training.

Women should not teach men about religious matters. It isa failure of men that they do so today.
So that means every seminary, university, religious based high school, youth group, and church Sunday School that has women teachers who are teaching any male 13 and older (age at which a Jewish male becomes a man) on any religious matter is wrong. That's a lot.

Does your church have any women teaching or in a position of leadership over males 13 and older?

That is a lot. And no, women do not teach men or exercise authority over men in the church I attend. It is inappropriate.
So in your opinion all of those hundreds of thousands of institutions are wrong. And you don't think that might make a woman in one of those million+ positions feel as though they matter less than men?

There is no woman Christian education or formation director, Sunday School teacher, or Youth Group Leader in your church? Care to provide a link to your church's website?

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Youth Group Leader? You must be talking about the children's parents.
Man as defined by Jewish tradition (you know, Paul's viewpoint) = 13 years and older. Church website link?

You don't think some of those million+ women might be made to feel less than men by your viewpoint?

There is no youth group leader. Why wouldn't "youth" be with the adults?
Church website link?

You don't think some of those million+ women might be made to feel less than men by your viewpoint?
Wrecks Quan Dough
90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

I didn't say it didn't happen. I said it is not correct in the church. Paul wasn't writing about how to run the Academy.
So women can teach men (future priests and pastors) on religious matters in a seminary, but not at church? And you think Paul made this distinction when students of his day were only taught at the synagogue?

Paul didn't need to make that distinction. Women didn't teach men Judaism and they didn't receive a formal education on Judaism like Paul did. Paul was a scholar and lawyer. Name one 1st century female who was of either the school of Hillel or any other school of religious training.

Women should not teach men about religious matters. It isa failure of men that they do so today.
So that means every seminary, university, religious based high school, youth group, and church Sunday School that has women teachers who are teaching any male 13 and older (age at which a Jewish male becomes a man) on any religious matter is wrong. That's a lot.

Does your church have any women teaching or in a position of leadership over males 13 and older?

That is a lot. And no, women do not teach men or exercise authority over men in the church I attend. It is inappropriate.
So in your opinion all of those hundreds of thousands of institutions are wrong. And you don't think that might make a woman in one of those million+ positions feel as though they matter less than men?

There is no woman Christian education or formation director, Sunday School teacher, or Youth Group Leader in your church? Care to provide a link to your church's website?

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Youth Group Leader? You must be talking about the children's parents.
Man as defined by Jewish tradition (you know, Paul's viewpoint) = 13 years and older. Church website link?

Church website link?

Feelings? I am now responsible for the feelings of a million women? This thread just got complicated.
90sBear
Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Church website link?

Feelings? I am now responsible for the feelings of a million women? This thread just got complicated.
Church website link?

You said that women in your life know that they are cherished and don't need to be similar in every way to feel special. You don't think some of those million+ women might be made to feel less special than men by your viewpoint?
Wrecks Quan Dough
90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Church website link?

Church website link?

You said that women in your life know that they are cherished and don't need to be similar in every way to feel special. You don't think some of those million+ women might be made to feel less special than men by your viewpoint?

I am not responsible for millions of women's feelings. Get real.
90sBear
Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

90sBear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Church website link?

Church website link?

I am not responsible for millions of women's feelings. Get real.
I did not say you are.

I asked you for your church's website link. You continue to avoid this.

I asked you if the viewpoint you hold ("Women should not teach men about religious matters") might make some of the million+ women who currently fill that role be made to feel less than special. Put another way, if every man in each of the institutions that these women are involved in expressed that same viewpoint to them, would they be made to feel less than special? You continue to avoid this.
Coke Bear
J.B.Katz said:

Actually the Greek word used for "brothers" in the NT means "from the same uterus."

With all do respect, it doesn't - not even close. The word adelphos, has many meanings from full bother to half brother, to cousin, to nephew, etc. Here is an article that better explains the Brethren of the Lord.
C. Jordan
J.B.Katz said:

Porteroso said:

Interesting article, probably an interesting book. Many denominations teach women should submit to the authority of men. If you don't know about that you haven't been paying attention.

The idea of a woman in the Bible is interesting, women having contributed either next to nothing, or nothing, to the text. Entirely from a man's point of view. It's not surprising that women are often taught that they have less of a role in the church than men. Certainly it was like that in both old and new testaments.

It is a rather newfangled thing that society is striving for actual equality. It has happened before in a few places, but never on this scale. Given the role of women in the Bible, and most religions, not surprising.
Appreciate your actually dealing with the subject of this article.

This is a religion and politics board and I had hoped for a substantive discussion than didn't immediately descend into bashing women or crude jokes about gender uncertainty, which maybe afflicts 2 percent of the population, some of whom are born with both male and female features. Those poor kids face enough of a challenge w/out *******s implying they're freaks for a developmental abnormality they can't help. How that kind of nastiness and filth comes from the mouth of anyone who purports to love Christ is a mystery to me.

Christianity was radical at the time it began because women did take leadership roles. Subsequent teachings, especially after the Catholic church became the established power in Christendom, and possibly the selection of books to include in the biblical canon diminished that role, but it's clear from the book of Acts and some epistles.

There are also two creation stories, one much older than the other. The older story has males and females created at the same time and doesn't imply that women are relegated to a companion or helpmate role. The first story says God created people and that they were the last thing he created. The second says God create man first then everything else and then a woman. Ppl whose faith is hinged on Biblical inerrancy are thus foiled in the first two chapters of Genesis.

I started grad school at a time when women were still new to professional schools that didn't involve nursing or teaching-they only made up a 4th of law students and fewer business students and still had lesser job prospects (although not as bad as Sandra Day O'Connor, who graduated third in her class at Stanford Law and netted only a marriage proposal from William Rehnquist, who was first in the class, and couldn't get a job except as a legal secretary). My children can't imagine a time when women weren't admitted to colleges and graduate programs in equal numbers. Evangelicals are fighting an uphill battle on the role of women in society. They've also made the same mistake as the Catholics by disregarding reports of domestic abuse or rape or blaming women b/c the power dynamic made that possible. If Barr's book doesn't spark a discussion and examination of how evangelical churches treat women--and from this thread, it looks like it won't, at least among hard-liner men--at least it can serve as a beacon to women that they shouldn't and don't have to tolerate that treatment.
Great comments. It's difficult to have an adult conversation about anything around here.

I think slow progress is being made among evangelicals on this issue. Less than a hundred years ago, women weren't even allowed to read the Women's Missionary Union report at the Southern Baptist Convention, even though women were the backbone of the SBC's mission work.

An interesting thought I read recently about Gen. 2 is that maybe Adam is created gender neutral. Why would he have a ***** is there was no woman?

Another thought on the Gen. 1 text is not only are male and female created at the same time, both are created in God's image. This suggests that there's both male and female in God.

Another thought to throw in: In the gospel texts, Jesus treats women with far more respect than the rabbis of the day. He allowed women to sit at his feet and learn, which others didn't allow, It appears women were also his primary financial supporters.

Also, in the gospels, women are the first witnesses to the resurrection. In fact, one of the proofs offered for the veracity of the resurrection accounts is that women have this role. If this were made up, men would have been the witnesses because the witness of women were considered to have been of no account.

As for Paul's injunctions, he was largely following the rules of the day. Even the pagan cultural assumption was that women would submit to men. Even in the passage in which he justifies female silence in church, he cites the fall narrative, but then backs off a bit.

Also, interestingly, he bans women from speaking in church, but allows them to prophesy (preach?) if they wear a head covering.

Beth Moore's recent reexamination of her own teachings and her rebellion against Trump may signal that evangelical women are moving away from "complementarianism" which really is "male authoritarianism" by another name. But I think for some time, these women will continue to affirm male authority while ignoring it practically.

Maybe we should grant each other the grace and freedom to interpret the scriptures on this disputable matter as they feel led, rather than pronounce anathemas against those who interpret them differently from us.
quash
Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

"For too many years, she said, she had stayed silent about the fact that women were taught that they mattered less to God than men did"

She is either making this up in her head or she spent years going to a church that does not teach the Bible or Christianity.

Sounds like she attended with Carlos Cruz.

Probably not. Women in my life know they are cherished. They don't have to be functionally similar in every endeavor to be special.

"There are reasons women should not teach men in church or have authority over them."

Telling them to shut up in church while doing all this cherishing is rank condescension. It is exactly like protecting women from the male gaze by covering them in a hijab. "For their own good."

You kicked the mess out of your strawman. Congrats.

I quoted you. Are you a strawman?

You quoted me. Then you mischaracterized the quote. And then you kicked the mess out the strawman you made when you mischaracterized the quote. Intellectual honesty not your thing?

Try some intellectual honesty yourself and distinguish your quote from my characterization. You cannot cherish something with one breath and deny it the right to speak in church with the next. Well, maybe YOU can but you dodged instead of doing so.

It is very simple. A woman can speak in church. Women do so all the time. Even some of the most conservative denominations allow women to speak and to speak in mixed company at church gatherings.

Women are simply not allowed to have authority over men in church. And they are not allowed to teach men. Outside of that, let women talk away. Let them speak to mixed groups, but women are not to be teachers of men on religious matters.

You cherish your authority more than you cherish women.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Wrecks Quan Dough
quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

"For too many years, she said, she had stayed silent about the fact that women were taught that they mattered less to God than men did"

She is either making this up in her head or she spent years going to a church that does not teach the Bible or Christianity.

Probably not. Women in my life know they are cherished. They don't have to be functionally similar in every endeavor to be special.

"There are reasons women should not teach men in church or have authority over them."

Telling them to shut up in church while doing all this cherishing is rank condescension. It is exactly like protecting women from the male gaze by covering them in a hijab. "For their own good."

You quoted me. Then you mischaracterized the quote. And then you kicked the mess out the strawman you made when you mischaracterized the quote. Intellectual honesty not your thing?

Try some intellectual honesty yourself and distinguish your quote from my characterization. You cannot cherish something with one breath and deny it the right to speak in church with the next. Well, maybe YOU can but you dodged instead of doing so.

It is very simple. A woman can speak in church. Women do so all the time. Even some of the most conservative denominations allow women to speak and to speak in mixed company at church gatherings.

Women are simply not allowed to have authority over men in church. And they are not allowed to teach men. Outside of that, let women talk away. Let them speak to mixed groups, but women are not to be teachers of men on religious matters.

As per usual, you don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about.
quash
Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

As usual you don't defend your position.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Wrecks Quan Dough
quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

I bet I am better with women than you are.

Married once. Divorced zero times. How about you?
quash
Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

Been in more relationships, and the only one who would speak ill of me is the one I divorced. I don't define "better" the way you do. I guarantee.

Wrecks Quan Dough
quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

Been in more relationships, and the only one who would speak ill of me is the one I divorced. I don't define "better" the way you do. I guarantee.

Former relationships. Not exactly the benchmark I was expecting.
quash
Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Carlos Cruz said:

quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

Former relationships. Not exactly the benchmark I was expecting.

Like I said.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.