Story Poster
Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Football

BREAKING: Baylor's 2021 football schedule released with seven home games

February 11, 2021
11,441

WACO, Texas – Baylor's 2021 football schedule, featuring seven home games at McLane Stadium for only the second time, was announced Thursday by the Big 12 Conference.

The schedule includes only Baylor’s second seven-game home schedule since 2013. The Bears open the 2021 season in San Marcos at Texas State on Sept. 4 before beginning play at McLane Stadium on Sept. 11 against Texas Southern.

Baylor launches Big 12 competition at Kansas on Sept. 18. BU has additional conference road trips to Oklahoma State (Oct. 2), TCU (Nov. 6) and Kansas State (Nov. 20).

The Bears host Iowa State (Sept. 25) and West Virginia (Oct. 9) before completing non-conference action with a marquee matchup against BYU in Waco on October 16. The meeting is the third all-time with the Cougars, who finished the 2020 season with an 11-1 record and ranked No. 11 in the AP poll.

BYU and Baylor last met in 1984 and have split two previous meetings with each team winning at home. The series continues in Provo in 2022.

Baylor’s annual Family Weekend will coincide with the Sept. 25 Iowa State game, and homecoming festivities will surround the visit from BYU on Oct. 16.

The final three home contests are visits by Texas (Oct. 30), Oklahoma (Nov. 13) and Texas Tech (Nov. 27). Overall, nine of Baylor’s 12 regular season games in 2021 will be played in the state of Texas.

The top two finishers in the regular season standings will compete for the Conference title in the Big 12 Championship Game, scheduled for Saturday, December 4 in AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Television selections for the first three weeks of the season and special dates are due to the Conference by June 1, 2021.

New season tickets and renewals for 2021 are available now. For more information, visit www.BaylorBears.com/WeAre.

2021 BAYLOR FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Sept. 4             at Texas State

Sept. 11          Texas Southern

Sept. 18           at Kansas*

Sept. 25          Iowa State*

Oct. 2              at Oklahoma State*

Oct. 9              West Virginia*

Oct. 16            BYU

Oct. 23            OPEN

Oct. 30            Texas*

Nov. 6              at TCU*

Nov. 13           Oklahoma*

Nov. 20            at Kansas State*

Nov. 27           Texas Tech*

Dec. 4              Big 12 Championship

Discussion from...

BREAKING: Baylor's 2021 football schedule released with seven home games

6,774 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by historian
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quite intriguing: at the very least, we should start out 3-0.
BUmoneymaker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A few good qnd easy games to start off the new offensive team before the harder games commence. I expect though it will take another season for this team to get above 500. Too many unknowns. Too new. Unless some brilliant play chemistry emerges and the qb receiver group are in sync like petty/coco. Not holding my breath.

Good thing we have a some awesome bball to watch into the spring. Cant wait for fb season to be back
Shakesbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone else think it's a bit ironic that we get BYU at home this year
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
DanaDane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Non-Conference:

OU vs. Nebraska (P5)
UT vs. Arkansas (P5)
WVU vs. Maryland (P5)
KU vs. Duke (P5)
K State vs. Stanford (P5)
ISU vs. Iowa (P5)
TCU vs. Cal (P5)
Baylor vs. BYU (G5)
Ok. State vs. Boise St. (G5)
Tech vs. UH (G5)
Ewalker80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think it's a huge advantage that we have 3 games to get the new offense and QB rolling before we play Iowa St. We should go into that game with some confidence and sets up to be a great early season test and matchup.
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shakesbear said:

Does anyone else think it's a bit ironic that we get BYU at home this year


Do you mean after hiring Grimes as OC? Ironic is one word for it.
Bear8084
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DanaDane said:

Non-Conference:

OU vs. Nebraska (P5)
UT vs. Arkansas (P5)
WVU vs. Maryland (P5)
KU vs. Duke (P5)
K State vs. Stanford (P5)
ISU vs. Iowa (P5)
TCU vs. Cal (P5)
Baylor vs. BYU (G5)
Ok. State vs. Boise St. (G5)
Tech vs. UH (G5)


BYU is seen as a P5 opponent from most of the P5. I think the Big 12 also recognizes it fits the criteria of one P5 team each season, at least for our schedule.
CST Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
feels like we haven't played a P5 school in non con since Steele era...
Just remember it could always be worse (Sloan, Stanton, Steele)
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Schedule Release Date
Positive Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Best home schedule Baylor has ever had.
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Positive Bear said:

Best home schedule Baylor has ever had.
Possibly, the Texas Southern game is very weak so basically only 6 home games. There have been others just as good; 1996 (OU,Aggy,Mizzou,ISU,Oregon St) & 1997 (UT,Nebraska,Tech,OSU,Miami) both only had 5 games but they were all good P5 teams. 2000 had 6 games (OU,Aggy,Mizzou,ISU,Minnesota,S.Fla) that were solid and 2008 was probably most similar to 2021 - 7 home games but 1 is very weak (NW St), the other 6 were very good however (OU,Aggy,Mizzou,ISU,Washington St, Wake Forest).
Even with only 5 games the 1997 schedule is probably the best (UT is always UT, Nebraska still in their heyday, Tech & OSU good conf games & programs, and Miami still in their heyday). Think about it; how many teams have ever played the Texas Longhorns, Nebraska Huskers, and Miami Hurricanes in the same season? Let alone all in their home stadium.
T-REX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MrGolfguy said:

Positive Bear said:

Best home schedule Baylor has ever had.
Possibly, the Texas Southern game is very weak so basically only 6 home games. There have been others just as good; 1996 (OU,Aggy,Mizzou,ISU,Oregon St) & 1997 (UT,Nebraska,Tech,OSU,Miami) both only had 5 games but they were all good P5 teams. 2000 had 6 games (OU,Aggy,Mizzou,ISU,Minnesota,S.Fla) that were solid and 2008 was probably most similar to 2021 - 7 home games but 1 is very weak (NW St), the other 6 were very good however (OU,Aggy,Mizzou,ISU,Washington St, Wake Forest).
Even with only 5 games the 1997 schedule is probably the best (UT is always UT, Nebraska still in their heyday, Tech & OSU good conf games & programs, and Miami still in their heyday). Think about it; how many teams have ever played the Texas Longhorns, Nebraska Huskers, and Miami Hurricanes in the same season? Let alone all in their home stadium.
yea but we sucked so those games werent enjoyable
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
T-REX said:

MrGolfguy said:

Positive Bear said:

yea but we sucked so those games werent enjoyable


Doesn't matter, PositiveBear just said "best home schedule ... ever". How good or bad Baylor was is moot.
T-REX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MrGolfguy said:

T-REX said:

MrGolfguy said:

Positive Bear said:

yea but we sucked so those games werent enjoyable


Doesn't matter, PositiveBear just said "best home schedule ... ever". How good or bad Baylor was is moot.
i would strongly say the only reason this schedule looks so good is because we have chances to be good and have great games. If we were gonna go 0-12, everybody would hate the schedule
Bryceb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I find it very humorous that every post from BYU fans they think next season there gonna dominate Baylor..... I ask how do you figure? You've lost everything that made you good to begin with from QB to WR, OLinemen and on plus a new system SMH.


...I dont believe in hype I need proof...
Positive Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's why they play the games. My favorite trash talking from opposing fans will always be prior to the '13 WVU game. "Baylor scores all those points but they haven't played a P5 school yet. Just wait." Y'all know the rest...
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That was one of my favorite games from the Briles era because it was such a blowout and broke so many records:

28 points & 369 yards in the first quarter
56 points & 617 yards at halftime

73 points & 872 yards by the end, with backups playing much of the second half (also helps to explain why the Mountaineers had 42 points).

Just amazing. The TV announcers were stunned and had trouble finding ways to describe it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.