Baylor Women's Basketball

The first words from Nicki Collen to the Baylor Lady Bears

May 4, 2021
22,832

New Baylor women's basketball head coach Nicki Collen met with her new team on Tuesday for the first time. Hear what she had in this clip from the official Baylor Athletics social media account. 

Discussion from...

The first words from Nicki Collen to the Baylor Lady Bears

18,940 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Olympia3
OddFire71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
More please!
ABC BEAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess I'm more interested in her ability to make real-time adjustments during a game.
BellCountyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like her!
EvilTroyAndAbed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ABC BEAR said:

I guess I'm more interested in her ability to make real-time adjustments during a game.
Mulk never really did that. She won by amassing talent and coaching it up in practice. The times she lost it was because she would never adjust to what the other team was doing to beat her.
Caddywampus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

ABC BEAR said:

I guess I'm more interested in her ability to make real-time adjustments during a game.
Mulk never really did that. She won by amassing talent and coaching it up in practice. The times she lost it was because she would never adjust to what the other team was doing to beat her.
Very incorrect. One of many examples. Down by 19 going into the second half against Pokey Chatman and LSU in the 2005 semi-finals, Kim switched to a zone, came back and beat the great Seimone Augustus and Sylvia Fowles. 2 days later, Kim won her 1st of 3 National Championships at Baylor.
lookin4awin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd give ten stars on this post above. Mulkey made game adjustments that took two legends out of the game, Simone Augustus and Sylvia Fowles totally out of it. Mulkey was just outstanding.
Space53
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mulkey was outstanding, but she's not here anymore.
Caddywampus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
lookin4awin said:

I'd give ten stars on this post above. Mulkey made game adjustments that took to legends of the game, Simone
Augustus and Sylvia Fowles totally out of it. Mulkey was just outstanding.
Yes. There are a few people on this board that need to go over to the Baylor WBB trophy case and stare at it. Because I have news for them. That was not a ghost that brought those trophies home. Now you can put them anywhere you want. In the new arena or in a closet. But that truck load of metal you see belongs to Kim Mulkey and her girls that she brought to Baylor. And you better strap in for what is to come. Because Elvis just left the building. And bringing in a back-up band to fill in for him ain't gonna get it. I hope you enjoyed it while it was here.
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Caddywampus said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

ABC BEAR said:

I guess I'm more interested in her ability to make real-time adjustments during a game.
Mulk never really did that. She won by amassing talent and coaching it up in practice. The times she lost it was because she would never adjust to what the other team was doing to beat her.
Very incorrect. One of many examples. Down going into the second half against Pokey Chatman and LSU in the 2005 semi-finals, Kim switched to a zone, came back and beat the great Seimone Augustus and Sylvia Fowles. 2 days later, Kim won her first National Championship at Baylor.
Wasn't in the second half. It was being down 24-9 at the under 8 timeout of the 1st half. Switched to zone and came back to tie them at half. Went back and forth in the 2nd half then took the lead for good at the 7:20 mark.

Also masterful coaching stroke in the 2010 Elite Eight when down by 48-41 to Duke with 3:28 to go. Put in 4 guards with Griner (Griffin, Jones, Hayden, Madden) and outscored Duke 10-0 the rest of the way. Duke missed their last 8 shots. Joanne P. McWhatshername once again never knew what hit her.
Michibear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Space53 said:

Mulkey was outstanding, but she's not here anymore.
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Caddywampus said:

lookin4awin said:

I'd give ten stars on this post above. Mulkey made game adjustments that took to legends of the game, Simone
Augustus and Sylvia Fowles totally out of it. Mulkey was just outstanding.
Yes. There are a few people on this board that need to go over to the Baylor WBB trophy case and stare at it. Because I have news for them. That was not a ghost that brought those trophies home. Now you can put them anywhere you want. In the new arena or in a closet. But that truck load of metal you see belongs to Kim Mulkey and her girls that she brought to Baylor. And you better strap in for what is to come. Because Elvis just left the building. And bringing in a back-up band to fill in for him ain't gonna get it. I hope you enjoyed it while it was here.
Caddy, I always enjoy your posts. This one got my attention..I more than enjoyed "it" while it was here. As a Baylor Athletics fan for well over 60 years, I loved "it." ..Baylor winning in Mulkey fashion has been a rare and well celebrated tenure...BUT, As another poster on this thread has said..It's over. I didn't cause it to end, in fact, it hurts my old heart to see "it" go..but gone "it" is. I can and have voiced my displeasure to the Administration, but I also will remain a Baylor fan for the rest of my days on this Earth..and I will move on and give my support to all the athletes and their Coaches...especially now, I think that support is critical if we are to continue to lead the way in WBB. Don't roll over and stop being a Baylor WBB fan..I don't think you will...We all need each other's support. Let's keep the string of Big XII titles coming! If we can do that, March Madness will take care of itself..Together, we can do this.. Sic 'Em!
Bear2393
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yep, we will never compete and win again like we did with Kim.
blackie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bear2393 said:

Yep, we will never compete and win again like we did with Kim.
It is the nature of how the game and parity has evolved. I doubt Kim will again win like she did. That's just the way it is now. Geno has not won a championship for 5 years in a row. Time marches on.
ABC BEAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
lookin4awin said:

I'd give ten stars on this post above. Mulkey made game adjustments that took two legends out of the game, Simone Augustus and Sylvia Fowles totally out of it. Mulkey was just outstanding.
Charli Collier might agree with your statement. 29 points and 25 fouls in her career against Mulkey & Baylor.
zunooreo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"coming back to college athletics"? Oops - that Freudian slip just happened. LOL

I know two things: 1) the college game has far more fans than any WNBA team; and 2) there was a salary increase required for her "come back".

Peeps, said a million times.....D-I athletics is ALWAYS about the money. Especially for the coaches. Don't ever get it confused with amateur athletics. That door closed at the high school level.

19 seconds in.......
Goldigger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Caddywampus said:

lookin4awin said:

I'd give ten stars on this post above. Mulkey made game adjustments that took to legends of the game, Simone
Augustus and Sylvia Fowles totally out of it. Mulkey was just outstanding.
Yes. There are a few people on this board that need to go over to the Baylor WBB trophy case and stare at it. Because I have news for them. That was not a ghost that brought those trophies home. Now you can put them anywhere you want. In the new arena or in a closet. But that truck load of metal you see belongs to Kim Mulkey and her girls that she brought to Baylor. And you better strap in for what is to come. Because Elvis just left the building. And bringing in a back-up band to fill in for him ain't gonna get it. I hope you enjoyed it while it was here.
This is one of the worst posts I've ever read on these forums.
bugwub78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great post, I think you are right on target. Buckle up, we are in for a bumpy ride.
lookin4awin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Space53 said:

Mulkey was outstanding, but she's not here anymore.
Yes, but my comment if you will read it was in response to a poster who said she didn't make good coaching adjustments, which is just wrong. I think it very disrespectful for posters to question her ability to coach. That is wrong especially if used as a justification to support we are better off without her.

If you want to say I don't support a loud coach who has put her foot in her mouth before-or she was a fierce proponent of what she thought was right-even if not supported by the admin or fans of other sport-then go for it-its fair game. But don't say she can't coach...its embarrassing and disingenuous to ever say Kim Mulkey can't coach.
DanaDane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She says Baylor, not Bellor. She passed the test. I'm all in now!


Leggo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BeauxBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mulkey is gone. She is a Naismith HOF coach. Enuf said.
This coach- Nicki Collen- will do fine. If she can keep Brock and Messer and this team, with the grad transfers, or not, she will win.
We need to give her grace and support.
#sicem
Caddywampus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When it comes to the hiring of coaches, here's what you have to ask yourself. It's not who hired them that matters. What matters is who did NOT hire them when they had the chance. Now what big schools in the last 3 years have had to replace their head coach in WBB? Texas...Oklahoma...LSU...Miss. St...Notre Dame. And a number of other prominent big programs that have money and want to win. So ask yourself this question. Why now? Why when Baylor need a new HC in WBB was Nicki Collen even available? She should have been gone. The coaching search firms know every coach, everywhere. And all of a sudden Nicki Collen can coach women's college basketball and win? Be careful what you listen to from the sunshine pumpers and cheerleaders who benefit from this hire. They have a reason to pour sugar on this hire. Eventually it all gets settled on the hardwood.
BBWCBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
blackie said:

Bear2393 said:

Yep, we will never compete and win again like we did with Kim.
It is the nature of how the game and parity has evolved. I doubt Kim will again win like she did. That's just the way it is now. Geno has not won a championship for 5 years in a row. Time marches on.


Valid point. He's not getting any younger and he too will leave the game at some point. Another university will go thru this as well.

I wish Collen the best, but my gut tells me things may not be what we've come to enjoy and expect. That's not to say she won't be successful in her on right.
Goldigger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BBWCBear said:

blackie said:

Bear2393 said:

Yep, we will never compete and win again like we did with Kim.
It is the nature of how the game and parity has evolved. I doubt Kim will again win like she did. That's just the way it is now. Geno has not won a championship for 5 years in a row. Time marches on.


Valid point. He's not getting any younger and he too will leave the game at some point. Another university will go thru this as well.

I wish Collen the best, but my gut tells me things may not be what we've come to enjoy and expect. That's not to say she won't be successful in her on right.
This is pure gobbly gook. If she is going to "be successful in her on right" what the hell is it that your saying here? You negative a$$ people are just brainlessly typing the dumbest things the last two days.
Goldigger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Caddywampus said:

When it comes to the hiring of coaches, here's what you have to ask yourself. It's not who hired them that matters. What matters is who did NOT hire them when they had the chance. Now what big schools in the last 3 years have had to replace their head coach in WBB? Texas...Oklahoma...LSU...Miss. St...Notre Dame. And a number of other prominent big programs that have money and want to win. So ask yourself this question. Why now? Why when Baylor need a new HC in WBB was Nicki Collen even available? She should have been gone. The coaching search firms know every coach, everywhere. And all of a sudden Nicki Collen can coach women's college basketball and win? Be careful what you listen to from the sunshine pumpers and cheerleaders who benefit from this hire. They have a reason to pour sugar on this hire. Eventually it all gets settled on the hardwood.
Why was Matt Rhule available when obviously Tom Herman was THE MAN? Once again you are just wasting space on this forum.
BBWCBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Goldigger said:

BBWCBear said:

blackie said:

Bear2393 said:

Yep, we will never compete and win again like we did with Kim.
It is the nature of how the game and parity has evolved. I doubt Kim will again win like she did. That's just the way it is now. Geno has not won a championship for 5 years in a row. Time marches on.


Valid point. He's not getting any younger and he too will leave the game at some point. Another university will go thru this as well.

I wish Collen the best, but my gut tells me things may not be what we've come to enjoy and expect. That's not to say she won't be successful in her on right.
This is pure gobbly gook. If she is going to "be successful in her on right" what the hell is it that your saying here? You negative a$$ people are just brainlessly typing the dumbest things the last two days.
C'mon Man! (My best dementia Joe) If someone doesn't follow your narrative they're negative. I was responding to Blackie's point on how things change plus the fact who else has the credentials of Summit, Geno, and Mulkey? Sure, Collen can be successful; however, she's got a lot of hurdles to overcome which have already been mentioned on other threads, posts. IF she gets a HOT start maybe the next twenty years, she's forty-five, could culminate into a Summit, Geno, Mulkey type history. The "roll" drops off dramatically after the three mentioned. I guess there is always a possibility another SABAN is juuuust waiting to explode somewhere. I got a feeling who follows him will "be successful in their on right".
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
zunooreo said:

"coming back to college athletics"? Oops - that Freudian slip just happened. LOL

I know two things: 1) the college game has far more fans than any WNBA team; and 2) there was a salary increase required for her "come back".

Peeps, said a million times.....D-I athletics is ALWAYS about the money. Especially for the coaches. Don't ever get it confused with amateur athletics. That door closed at the high school level.

19 seconds in.......

What are you even talking about? She was a college assistant, went to coach in the WNBA and is now literally "coming back to college athletics." How is that Freudian slip? You're trying to create negative connotations where they don't exist.
Malbec
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

zunooreo said:

"coming back to college athletics"? Oops - that Freudian slip just happened. LOL

I know two things: 1) the college game has far more fans than any WNBA team; and 2) there was a salary increase required for her "come back".

Peeps, said a million times.....D-I athletics is ALWAYS about the money. Especially for the coaches. Don't ever get it confused with amateur athletics. That door closed at the high school level.

19 seconds in.......

What are you even talking about? She was a college assistant, went to coach in the WNBA and is now literally "coming back to college athletics." How is that Freudian slip? You're trying to create negative connotations where they don't exist.
I am about to say something I have never said on these boards. I agree with bear2be2. I should probably buy a Powerball ticket today. b2b2 on the money today.
BearFan33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Baylor is so much better off than it was when KM started coaching here. We have top facilities, a strong tradition as well as being a name brand (largely thanks to KM). It will be easier for a coach to come in and be successful. I have faith Mack made a good decision.
allstate2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BBWCBear said:

blackie said:

Bear2393 said:

Yep, we will never compete and win again like we did with Kim.
It is the nature of how the game and parity has evolved. I doubt Kim will again win like she did. That's just the way it is now. Geno has not won a championship for 5 years in a row. Time marches on.


Valid point. He's not getting any younger and he too will leave the game at some point. Another university will go thru this as well.

I wish Collen the best, but my gut tells me things may not be what we've come to enjoy and expect. That's not to say she won't be successful in her on right.


I think they will win it all next year with who they are returning and, if he is as egotistical as he seems, he will retire after that last one.
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is wrong with what she said in that video clip?
Lone Star
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There should be incredible optimism and support for THIS coach and THIS team. After meeting with them it looks like Gusters is the only causality of the program in transfer.

Hats off to the Seniors (Smith, Egbo, Bickle, and Oliver) and graduate senior (Moon) who are leading by example and instead of jumping ship, have decided to stay with the BU family and finish out their careers together and help to continue to build and support their team. In this age of taking the easy way out and transferring, they are all staying onboard along with others to win another B12 title and make a deep run in the NCAAs.

I believe that says alot for this new coach and for the BU family and fans in general. It is now up to CC to hit the recruiting ground running and the first calls I would make would be to Dauda and Sammie Wagner.

BBWCBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearFan33 said:

Baylor is so much better off than it was when KM started coaching here. We have top facilities, a strong tradition as well as being a name brand (largely thanks to KM). It will be easier for a coach to come in and be successful. I have faith Mack made a good decision.
You ARE familiar with Alabama, Bear Bryant and Nick Saban? Or... possibly, Texas, Mack Brown and the "current flavor of the month"? Lots of moving parts, it doesn't matter who it is.
LadyChickBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bexar Pitts said:

Caddywampus said:

lookin4awin said:

I'd give ten stars on this post above. Mulkey made game adjustments that took to legends of the game, Simone
Augustus and Sylvia Fowles totally out of it. Mulkey was just outstanding.
Yes. There are a few people on this board that need to go over to the Baylor WBB trophy case and stare at it. Because I have news for them. That was not a ghost that brought those trophies home. Now you can put them anywhere you want. In the new arena or in a closet. But that truck load of metal you see belongs to Kim Mulkey and her girls that she brought to Baylor. And you better strap in for what is to come. Because Elvis just left the building. And bringing in a back-up band to fill in for him ain't gonna get it. I hope you enjoyed it while it was here.
Caddy, I always enjoy your posts. This one got my attention..I more than enjoyed "it" while it was here. As a Baylor Athletics fan for well over 60 years, I loved "it." ..Baylor winning in Mulkey fashion has been a rare and well celebrated tenure...BUT, As another poster on this thread has said..It's over. I didn't cause it to end, in fact, it hurts my old heart to see "it" go..but gone "it" is. I can and have voiced my displeasure to the Administration, but I also will remain a Baylor fan for the rest of my days on this Earth..and I will move on and give my support to all the athletes and their Coaches...especially now, I think that support is critical if we are to continue to lead the way in WBB. Don't roll over and stop being a Baylor WBB fan..I don't think you will...We all need each other's support. Let's keep the string of Big XII titles coming! If we can do that, March Madness will take care of itself..Together, we can do this.. Sic 'Em!
Amen! And after listing to the press conference, I think we are in for some fun and some outstanding basketball!!
lookin4awin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lone Star said:

There should be incredible optimism and support for THIS coach and THIS team. After meeting with them it looks like Gusters is the only causality of the program in transfer.

Hats off to the Seniors (Smith, Egbo, Bickle, and Oliver) and graduate senior (Moon) who are leading by example and instead of jumping ship, have decided to stay with the BU family and finish out their careers together and help to continue to build and support their team. In this age of taking the easy way out and transferring, they are all staying onboard along with others to win another B12 title and make a deep run in the NCAAs.

I believe that says alot for this new coach and for the BU family and fans in general. It is now up to CC to hit the recruiting ground running and the first calls I would make would be to Dauda and Sammie Wagner.


Moon is for sure staying?
Baylorkid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
lookin4awin said:

Lone Star said:

There should be incredible optimism and support for THIS coach and THIS team. After meeting with them it looks like Gusters is the only causality of the program in transfer.

Hats off to the Seniors (Smith, Egbo, Bickle, and Oliver) and graduate senior (Moon) who are leading by example and instead of jumping ship, have decided to stay with the BU family and finish out their careers together and help to continue to build and support their team. In this age of taking the easy way out and transferring, they are all staying onboard along with others to win another B12 title and make a deep run in the NCAAs.

I believe that says alot for this new coach and for the BU family and fans in general. It is now up to CC to hit the recruiting ground running and the first calls I would make would be to Dauda and Sammie Wagner.


Moon is for sure staying?

Don't know but moon is following Collen on social media now so that's a good sign
Page 1 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.