Putting Down My Dog

2,549 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Oldbear83
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been lucky. Up to now I have not had to deal with a pet getting too old to go on. My dog from high school was the family dog and when she got old my parents handled the matter. My dog Cody died from cancer in 2017, but at least it was fast.

But my Collie Bingo is 17 now, she's lost strength in her legs, she has lost interest in food and is going blind as well from cataracts in her eyes. She can only stand for a short time and when she walks she goes in circles and falls down. If she is left alone for a time she yips to get help moving her legs.

It's time, I think.

My brain tells me euthanizing her is the best way to protect her dignity and avoid needless pain, but damned if I ever wanted to kill my own dog.

For anyone who's had to go through this, how do you cope with the guilt that you should have been able to avoid it somehow? And how do you tell your kids what happened?

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Bear8084
Oldbear83 said:

I've been lucky. Up to now I have not had to deal with a pet getting too old to go on. My dog from high school was the family dog and when she got old my parents handled the matter. My dog Cody died from cancer in 2017, but at least it was fast.

But my Collie Bingo is 17 now, she's lost strength in her legs, she has lost interest in food and is going blind as well from cataracts in her eyes. She can only stand for a short time and when she walks she goes in circles and falls down. If she is left alone for a time she yips to get help moving her legs.

It's time, I think.

My brain tells me euthanizing her is the best way to protect her dignity and avoid needless pain, but damned if I ever wanted to kill my own dog.

For anyone who's had to go through this, how do you cope with the guilt that you should have been able to avoid it somehow? And how do you tell your kids what happened?

First, I am sorry to hear about your dog. It is a tough choice. I had to make the same choice for our cat just a few years ago. That cat was pretty much my support during the day after my dad passed and never left my side. When she got an awful mouth cancer, we extended her life some with chemo, but it was aggressive.

So we made the choice to have someone come out and put her down in her home instead of driving her to the vet and stressing out her last moments of life. We picked a later time on a Saturday, had the in-laws watch our son, and we spent the day with Annie (the cat) until the people came over. They were understanding, agreed it was time, and gave us the time and space we needed. Yeah there was some guilt, because it's always a what-if. But I prayed about it and eventually realized it was time. It's not a fun decision, but a needed one if pets become too sick. I would recommend having a service come out and do it in the home, but it does cost more.

After it was done, the service had options on how to remember the pet and we choose to have her cremains put in a nice garden stone and we put it in her favorite spot to lay in the backyard sun.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I am so sorry, my friend. I have a little 15 year old dog from my Mom that is gonna tear my heart out when he dies.

If you decide to put Bingo down, stay with her and let her know you are there with her. It is hard, but I believe it is easier for her if one of her loved ones is with her when she goes. Just my opinion. Don't let her leave scared with someone she doesn't know or love. Be with her to the end.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Bear8084
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I am so sorry, my friend. I have a little 15 year old dog from my Mom that is gonna tear my heart out when he dies.

If you decide to put Bingo down, stay with her and let you know you are there with her. It is hard, but I believe it is easier for her if one of her loved ones is with her when she goes. Just my opinion. Don't let her leave scared with someone she doesn't know or love. Be with her to the end.

Excellent point I forgot to mention. No matter how hard it is, you be there for them.
saabing bear
Recently had to put down my favorite dog, Tux. Can't really deal with the feelings and doubt that will come except to remember the good times you and your pet had and believe you did the best you could.. Be with them as much as possible close to the end and especially at the end. The vet said she really couldn't understand people who just drop their pet off and leave.
LIB,MR BEARS
I can't really add any wisdom to what has been said above other than, I think you will know or come to realize when it is time.

We had a wonderful dachshund who'd gone deaf, had cataract s in both eyes but still seemed to enjoy our company. Then, she lost interest in food, would do circles in the drive and would get lost in the house. Our company didn't seem to matter. There didn't seem to be any joy in her life and we knew it was time. It sucks.
Mr Tulip
I'm so, so sorry the time is at its end. Dogs are too good, and we repay some of their love with the pain in our heart when the goodbye comes.
Please assuage yourself of guilt. Your dog was going to live its life. Because of you, that life was wonderful and filled with love and good times. If it were up to you, that time would never end, but we live in a world where time brings everything to an end.
Your job was to always protect and love the animal. You provided love, food, shelter, medicine, and a good life. Dogs don't understand finality (that's a gift they have), but they do understand pain. You were always there to meet those needs. Now, it appears, you'll be called on one last time to offer the only medicine available. You never neglected your duty before. This will be the hardest. I wish it were otherwise.
If you can have a mobile vet visit your home, that's wonderful. I won't insist you stay there while the medicine works its magic, but you've been your dog's world all her life. Helping her out of it will make her happy.

Thank you for being such a caring pet companion. Animals are born all the time without our intervention. You chose, though, to intervene in one individual life and make it wonderful. It's been work at times, expensive at others, but surely filled with good times. That dog was lucky to land with you. Thanks one last time for caring this much!
Oldbear83
The procedure is set for Saturday. I'm going to spend the time before then trying to make Bingo's final days as comfortable as possible.

I thought about taking time off from work, but we have a crisis which requires all hands on deck, no exceptions. I consider Bingo family, but my HR department disagrees.
Oldbear83
Bingo was put to sleep this morning. I was with her all last night and until the end at the vet's office.
LIB,MR BEARS
Oldbear83 said:

Bingo was put to sleep this morning. I was with her all last night and until the end at the vet's office.
I'm sad for you and your family. Pets can be wonderful parts of our families. I pray that God will comfort y'all at this time
Mr Tulip
My heart breaks. There's no real words to comfort saying goodbye to such a loving companion. She sounds like her time with you was special. She's lucky to have found you. Thank you for taking such good care of her life!

If my Lord requires any test at all to enter His Paradise when my turn comes, I'm sure He will ask my animals (who will surely be right there with Him if there's any love at all in this Universe) if my soul is kind. They, above any, will know.
bularry
Bear8084 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

If you decide to put Bingo down, stay with her and let you know you are there with her. It is hard, but I believe it is easier for her if one of her loved ones is with her when she goes. Just my opinion. Don't let her leave scared with someone she doesn't know or love. Be with her to the end.

Excellent point I forgot to mention. No matter how hard it is, you be there for them.

yep, that's how you do it. never easy but it is damn pitiful when they can't live normally.
Oldbear83
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Oldbear83 said:

I'm sad for you and your family. Pets can be wonderful parts of our families. I pray that God will comfort y'all at this time
Thanks Lib. It needed to be now, but I feel like crap.

Utter crap.
Bexar Pitts
Mr Tulip said:

My heart breaks. There's no real words to comfort saying goodbye to such a loving companion. She sounds like her time with you was special. She's lucky to have found you. Thank you for taking such good care of her life!

If my Lord requires any test at all to enter His Paradise when my turn comes, I'm sure He will ask my animals (who will surely be right there with Him if there's any love at all in this Universe) if my soul is kind. They, above any, will know.
I've wanted to post in this thread, but just couldn't find the words. Mr. Tulip, your 2 posts have all the things in them that I wanted to say, but somehow couldn't. Maybe it's cause I've been there before, or maybe it's just cause I'm a sentimental old man..In any case, Mr. Tulip, you have my most sincere Thanks, and Oldbear, you have my deepest sympathies and heartfelt prayers.
Oldbear83
I told my daughter about Bingo around 1 this afternoon. That was rough.

It occurs to me the next week is going to be more of the same, as Bing was kind of a minor celebrity in our neighborhood. You see, a lot of my neighbors aren't willing to get a dog for their kids but they know when I walk Bingo, and they would let their kids 'go see the pretty dog', because Bingo loved attention and was great with kids, and even in her old age her coat was a deep gold that got a lot of comments.

There are also some boys in the neighborhood who formed a football and basketball team, and they claim Bingo is lucky for them. They made a point of coming by to pet Bingo for good luck before an important game.

A lot of my neighbors were sad when Cody passed from cancer back in 2017. I think losing Bingo is going to affect more than just my family.

Oldbear83
Thanks Bears8084, thanks RD2. Thanks saabing bear and LIB, Mr Tulip, bularry and Bexar Pitts for your kind words, advice and thoughts.
Bear8084
Mr Tulip said:

Amen.
Bear8084
Oldbear83 said:

Thanks Bears8084, thanks RD2. Thanks saabing bear and LIB, Mr Tulip, bularry and Bexar Pitts for your kind words, advice and thoughts.

Anytime. I find that talking about it and remembering the great times and praying about it killed that guilt. That and on Annie's last day she took one last nap with me and no one else, I think she was also telling me it was time.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Sorry for your loss. Back when i had Great Pyrenees ii had to put rwo down. I used a rifle and dont think either felt pain.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
william
echoes of L'Affaire d'Brute.

- le KKM

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }

Fetterman2024
Oldbear83
Bear8084 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Anytime. I find that talking about it and remembering the great times and praying about it killed that guilt. That and on Annie's last day she took one last nap with me and no one else, I think she was also telling me it was time.
Thanks again, Bear. You made me recall that during her last week, Bingo took naps with her head resting on my foot as a pillow.

A lot of my neighbors know now. A couple of the kids are in denial.
Wrecks Quan Dough

Edmond Bear

I appreciate everything said here.

We put down our 15 year old schnauzer on Saturday. Rufus (named after Rufus Burleson) had bone cancer and had lost the use of one of his back legs. He learned to do well on three but you could tell the pain was challenging for him sometimes. He was on pain medication for the last two months but his last two nights were just overwhelming for him.

My youngest was home from Baylor for Fall Break and was able to be with him until his last moments. At 15, he had been her friend pretty much her entire life. She is torn up about it and had to drive back to Waco today.

I know scripture does not say anything about meeting your dog in heaven. But, I'm hopeful that Rufus is able to sit in the lap of my father-in-law and run around with Bear, our miniature schnauzer who preceded him. Both of those were awesome awesome dogs.

Mr Tulip
Edmond Bear said:

I appreciate everything said here.

We put down our 15 year old schnauzer on Saturday. Rufus (named after Rufus Burleson) had bone cancer and had lost the use of one of his back legs. He learned to do well on three but you could tell the pain was challenging for him sometimes. He was on pain medication for the last two months but his last two nights were just overwhelming for him.

My youngest was home from Baylor for Fall Break and was able to be with him until his last moments. At 15, he had been her friend pretty much her entire life. She is torn up about it and had to drive back to Waco today.

I know scripture does not say anything about meeting your dog in heaven. But, I'm hopeful that Rufus is able to sit in the lap of my father-in-law and run around with Bear, our miniature schnauzer who preceded him. Both of those were awesome awesome dogs.

Sounds like Rufus gave you all the love he had, and you and he both realized when the vessel was empty. We grieve with you.

Even though I knew it was the right thing, having to coordinate the final mercy for my companion, as if it were another oil change or equally mundane chore, stuck with me. I wanted the world to stop and recognize that, while understandable and unavoidable, a unique light in the Universe had gone out. My adult responsibilities did not stop, though. Even in this, please accept this community extending sympathy.

My scripture speaks frequently of living honestly, loving unconditionally, forgiving immediately, and valuing others to the point of life sacrifice. I submit those traits are found almost exclusively in our dogs. In our arrogance, we may describe them as lower life forms. Perhaps, in fact, they're higher.
Canada2017
Oldbear83 said:

I am sincerely very sorry for your loss .

Canada2017
HunterBear
Dogs seem awfully close to having a soul. Expressions of joy and even sorrow. Love and faithfulness. Working breeds especially seem to thrive on pleasing their master
Jokerman
LIB... The Jokerman family is in the process of making these decisions with our Dachshund, who just turned 15 yesterday. She's a proud old gal who has been deaf for some time, and lost the rest of her vision this summer (she was partially blind for about 3 years.) She's got a tumor in her bladder, and the vet gave her 4-6 months to live in June '21 -- so she's already a miracle. When she's not sleeping, she walks in circles and gets frustrated when she bumps into things. So your story resonates with me.
It's not really a happy life for her, and she really doesn't respond to us much at all. I cringe at pulling the plug on her, because she's still kinda functional. But you can tell she's totally depressed. Mrs. Jokerman thinks she had a stroke and/or has dementia. For sure, she ain't right. And she ain't gonna get better.
So, y'all keep the JokerFamily in your thoughts n' prayers as we navigate this decision-making process.
Oldbear83
HunterBear said:

Dogs seem awfully close to having a soul. Expressions of joy and even sorrow. Love and faithfulness. Working breeds especially seem to thrive on pleasing their master
I have had the privilege of being companion to some truly fine dogs.

Dogs may not be human, but I have always been able to see God's purpose in them. Joy, Humor, Trust, just about every good quality we value in a person can be found in a canine.

But months after saying goodbye to Bingo, there is still a hole in my life where she was for 17 years.
Oldbear83
Jokerman said:

LIB... The Jokerman family is in the process of making these decisions with our Dachshund, who just turned 15 yesterday. She's a proud old gal who has been deaf for some time, and lost the rest of her vision this summer (she was partially blind for about 3 years.) She's got a tumor in her bladder, and the vet gave her 4-6 months to live in June '21 -- so she's already a miracle. When she's not sleeping, she walks in circles and gets frustrated when she bumps into things. So your story resonates with me.
It's not really a happy life for her, and she really doesn't respond to us much at all. I cringe at pulling the plug on her, because she's still kinda functional. But you can tell she's totally depressed. Mrs. Jokerman thinks she had a stroke and/or has dementia. For sure, she ain't right. And she ain't gonna get better.
So, y'all keep the JokerFamily in your thoughts n' prayers as we navigate this decision-making process.

I will add you to my prayers. It's always tough to see family suffer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.