Top Gun: Maverick

4,363 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by boykin_spaniel
Jack Bauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fantastic movie.

You have to give Tom Cruise credit, he does not half ass his movie production. All the F18 flying scenes are real planes, no CGI, and you can tell.

It makes quite a difference seeing actors showing the affects of actually flying in an F18 vs super hero movies where they pretend there is a giant monster in front of them.

This movie did a great job connecting the past with the present. The Val Kilmer cameo made it very nostalgic.

There were no woke PC messages, just a movie with a direct mission and straight up action.
4th and Inches
Jack Bauer said:

Fantastic movie.

You have to give Tom Cruise credit, he does not half ass his movie production. All the F18 flying scenes are real planes, no CGI, and you can tell.

This movie did a great job connecting the past with the present. The Val Kilmer cameo made it very nostalgic.

There were no woke PC messages, just a movie with a direct mission and straight up action.
and smashing at the box office.. was projected for 130 million weekend but passed 156 million with a 38 million sunday(more than saturdays 33 million)

Tom Cruises first 100+ million opening weekend
Guy Noir
The movie was fun and my wife and I enjoyed it.
BellCountyBear
It's kind of cool that my 21-year old daughter is all into it and is watching the first Top Gun tonight to get ready and see Maverick with my wife and I Thursday night!
90sBear
BellCountyBear said:

It's kind of cool that my 21-year old daughter is all into it and is watching the first Top Gun tonight to get ready and see Maverick with my wife and I Thursday night!
Your 21 year old daughter wants to watch the beach football scene the same way your wife watched the beach volleyball scene back in the day.
Wrecks Quan Dough
The flipping of the bird really did happen. Our pilot flipped the bird and took photos of a Libyan Mig pilot during the 1981 Gulf of Sidra incident.
Booray
Saw it last night. A+.
OsoCoreyell
Amal Shuq-Up said:

The flipping of the bird really did happen. Our pilot flipped the bird and took photos of a Libyan Mig pilot during the 1981 Gulf of Sidra incident.
I did that too. While inverted. With Kelly McGillis in my lap.
Wrecks Quan Dough
OsoCoreyell said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Serious or do you kid?
OsoCoreyell
Amal Shuq-Up said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Serious or do you kid?
So serious. And it was actually Meg Ryan (pre-bad-plastic-surgery). Then she said "Take me home or lose me forever!" So I did.
Wrecks Quan Dough
OsoCoreyell said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Serious or do you kid?
So serious. And it was actually Meg Ryan (pre-bad-plastic-surgery). Then she said "Take me home or lose me forever!" So I did.
Dude! Don't tell Sic'em. Be discreet.
BellCountyBear
Action was great. Acting was meh outside of Tom Cruise. Definitely some PC/woke elements, but not too over the top. Plot kind of reminded me of Star Wars (the 1977 one).
Jack Bauer
BellCountyBear said:

Action was great. Acting was meh outside of Tom Cruise. Definitely some PC/woke elements, but not too over the top. Plot kind of reminded me of Star Wars (the 1977 one).

What was woke.about it? It seems as non PC movie I've seen a long time..
Hob Howelll
SPOILER ALERT

Wife and I saw it last weekend and we really enjoyed it. I think I would've had Maverick actually die after taking the missile for Rooster. Would've been a poetic and fitting conclusion to the whole lingering guilt/redemption thing.

I also thought it was kind of ironic that the one antagonistic Commander dude was lecturing Maverick about how the future of military fighters is in artificial intelligence, and I think that point was proven by the plot of the movie with the pilots blacking out. I'll admit I'm not a physicist nor expert on military aircraft
Jack Bauer
HenryTheOctopus
OsoCoreyell said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Serious or do you kid?
Come on, at least get the quote right!
HalibutRetro
A lot of fun. Stressful in a good way. Even the training felt like life or death---and to a degree it was. You really understood what was at stake. The romance was meh. Didn't mind it, but meh. Hard to compete with fighter jet action.

And, yeah, love or hate Cruise, the dude is a professional on another level. Dedicates himself to his work.

Definitely see it on the big screen. Smart of Cruise to demand it not go direct to streaming.
Jack Bauer
avensis
Good sequels are rare. So imagine the apprehension when this one arrives nearly 40 years later. Because yes, "Top Gun: Maverick" is indeed a sequel to "Top Gun", and don't imagine taking full advantage of the experience if you haven't seen the first one.
LIB,MR BEARS
avensis said:

Good sequels are rare. So imagine the apprehension when this one arrives nearly 40 years later. Because yes, "Top Gun: Maverick" is indeed a sequel to "Top Gun", and don't imagine taking full advantage of the experience if you haven't seen the first one.
now your making me feel old
Harrison Bergeron
I would argue that might be the best sequel ever made. It was fantastic.

The Penny callback was masterful. It was a love letter to the original and paid homage without being cheesy. Really don't have anything bad to say about it. Only nit might be was not crazy about the student pilots except the guy that played Rooster was great. The girl and Hangman were iffy IMHO.

Anyone know why Meg Ryan was not included?
Jack Bauer
Seems Kelly McGillis accepted this pretty well..

Quote:

According to McGillis herself, she wasn't asked to reprise the role. When asked if anyone from Top Gun: Maverick reached out to her, she said: "Oh my God no they did not, and nor do I think they would ever.

"I'm old, and I'm fat, and I look age-appropriate for what my age is. And that is not what that whole scene is about."

For all her brutally refreshing honesty, McGillis did not sound disappointed. She added: "It was very challenging for me to have any kind of sense of self or self-identity or real self-worth other than what I did for a living [as an actress].

"I think just my priorities in life changed. It wasn't like a major decision that I made to leave, it was just that other things became more important... To me, my relationships to other people became far more important than my relationship to fame." (Via ET.)
90sBear
Harrison Bergeron said:

I would argue that might be the best sequel ever made.
Whoah. That's a whole thread to itself
HalibutRetro
Harrison Bergeron said:

It's up there but Godfather II says hello.
Jack Bauer
HalibutRetro said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

What about Fast and Furious part 326?? That is up there!!
4th and Inches
Jack Bauer said:

HalibutRetro said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

What about Fast and Furious part 326?? That is up there!!
give it credit, a goofy car movie turned into one of the most watched movie franchises of all time.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Harrison Bergeron
HalibutRetro said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

I knew someone would post then when I typed it ... and fair enough. If I'm just going to squirm and nitpick I might argue Godfather II was less of a sequel than a continuance. I would make the same argument about Empire - not really a sequel but the second part of the same movie ... but I realize I'm just employing mental gymnastics to justify my original point. But also not an uninteresting discussion about what is a sequel vs. a continuance.

At least for a movie that uses the base characters and tells a completely different story 30 years later not sure there is a close second.
90sBear
Harrison Bergeron said:

HalibutRetro said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

I knew someone would post then when I typed it ... and fair enough. If I'm just going to squirm and nitpick I might argue Godfather II was less of a sequel than a continuance. I would make the same argument about Empire - not really a sequel but the second part of the same movie ... but I realize I'm just employing mental gymnastics to justify my original point. But also not an uninteresting discussion about what is a sequel vs. a continuance.

At least for a movie that uses the base characters and tells a completely different story 30 years later not sure there is a close second.
I get what you are saying, but the definition of sequel is pretty much "a continuance"

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/sequel
ScottS
Can any of these movies hold a candle to Grease 2?
SMack
The bar for greatest sequel is quite high.

My nomination is Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

Top that!
Jack Bauer
SMack said:

The bar for greatest sequel is quite high.

My nomination is Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

Top that!

Check......mate.
4th and Inches
Great movie, very enjoyable
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Jack Bauer
Say what you want about Tom Cruise but
1) he puts his heart and soul into his movies
2) He's 60 years old

cowboycwr
Finally got around to seeing it over the holidays. Good movie. We really enjoyed it. Even my dad who we often have to remind that movies aren't realistic because before the movie he was going on about how no way Maverick would still be flying, wouldn't have been forced out of the Navy, the whole plot was probably unrealistic because of stealth technology that would let a plane drop a bomb from miles and miles away and up, etc.

I had to remind him that for movie purposes it doesn't look good to show a bomber or fighter at 20,000 or 30,000 dropping a bomb/firing a missile and flying away while it goes on to the target but flying in at 200 feet and dropping bombs does look cool/good.
Harrison Bergeron
cowboycwr said:

Finally got around to seeing it over the holidays. Good movie. We really enjoyed it. Even my dad who we often have to remind that movies aren't realistic because before the movie he was going on about how no way Maverick would still be flying, wouldn't have been forced out of the Navy, the whole plot was probably unrealistic because of stealth technology that would let a plane drop a bomb from miles and miles away and up, etc.

I had to remind him that for movie purposes it doesn't look good to show a bomber or fighter at 20,000 or 30,000 dropping a bomb/firing a missile and flying away while it goes on to the target but flying in at 200 feet and dropping bombs does look cool/good.
I bet your dad is a hoot to watch MCU movies with.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.